PDA

View Full Version : "Dodger"

Tommy
10-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Elvis grandmother Minnie Mae it was said that when Elvis was five years old he threw a baseball during a temper tantrum, which she just managed to dodge. The story goes he nicknamed her "Dodger" at that time. Minnie Mae lodged with Vernon and Gladys in both Tupelo and Memphis and moved into Graceland with them. At Graceland, she was famous for wearing sunglasses around the clock and for using snuff. When Vernon traveled to Germany to be with his son, she went along. Dodger died on May 8, 1980. Vernon had her buried in Meditation Garden next to her famous grandson.

From the book by Frank Coffey

Tommy :)

cutiepie
10-14-2005, 01:18 AM
HI Tommy!

Did Dodger continue to live at Graceland after Elvis and Vernon died--and buried in (literally) the backyard? I think life must have been very sad for her to be all alone like that!

Thanks for the informatin!! :notworthy

Tommy
10-14-2005, 01:45 AM
Dodger passed away before Vernon.

Thank You for your reply,

Little Sister
10-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Dodger passed away before Vernon.

Thank You for your reply,

Actually no, Vernon died on June 22, 1979. there is a quote where Dodger mentions the fact that she outlived both of the men in her life. She wasn't living alone though, as Elvis' aunt Delta also lived there, and I think sometimes Lisa too. I don't think that anyone else stayed there though.

NEA
10-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know that Vernon passed away two years to the day of Elvis' final concert, and I also think it was Colonel Parker's birthday - June 26th, 1979.

Cheers,

NEA.

10-14-2005, 01:03 PM
She lived with Delta and the maids. Don't know how often Lisa stayed, but I know at some stage Lisa got a fright while staying the night at Graceland and she hasn't stayed the night there since apparently.

Tommy
10-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Thank you all for the information. Wonder why this guy in his book got his facts wrong. :blush: Sorry. After I got to thinking about it I thought also Dodger was there after Vernon.

Donut
07-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Sometimes i think how sad must had been for "Dogder" outlive her grandson and her own son, life can be a sh... sometimes and i?m sure that poor woman was along with Lisa the ones that more felt the loss of Elvis. She lived with him all his life.

JDD
07-18-2006, 10:00 PM
She lived with Delta and the maids. Don't know how often Lisa stayed, but I know at some stage Lisa got a fright while staying the night at Graceland and she hasn't stayed the night there since apparently.

Gimme some more info on that topic, here or PM if its gonna wind folks up . I've never heard that story though.

franny
07-19-2006, 12:37 AM
I would also like to know more info about that...Dodger sounded like a very strong woman...it's good to know she was there for Elvis after his beloved mother Gladys passed on...

franny

riley
07-19-2006, 09:15 AM
She lived with Delta and the maids. Don't know how often Lisa stayed, but I know at some stage Lisa got a fright while staying the night at Graceland and she hasn't stayed the night there since apparently

do you know more details