PDA

View Full Version : Also Sprach Zarathustra

Raised on Rock
09-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Did any one has any idea why ELvis started to use Also Sprach Zarathustra as the opening number for his concerts?

DId He simply get on some kind of trip after Kubrick's 1968 movie: 2001, A Space Odyssey? (a movie that I love by the way). Did he saw himself as the Nietzsche superhuman? did he simply was a Richard Strauss fan? a Mix of all?

Naa, seriously, does somebody knows why Elvis decided to come up with this idea of using that song as his trademark intro?

Nietzsche, Kubrick, ELvis, Yeah!

Lonniebealestreet
09-28-2005, 04:21 AM
Depends on who you ask, because if you believe all the accounts, several people were struck with the brilliant idea at the same time. Of course, that could be a result of "the LSD experiment." :lol:

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think it may have been Elvis' own idea, or perhaps Joe Guercio's...or Lamar Fike's...or...

Raised on Rock
09-28-2005, 04:41 AM
According to the Book: Unseen ELvis; candids from the collection of Jim Curtin. Little, Brown and company 1992. (And there are also a few other book that state that) Elvis Presley did experiment with L.S.D. for a brief time between '65 and '66. Oh but I should not say this!, they will come for me again! Im gonna be deleted again! just kidding, don?t take it bad.

No, but seriously, Im probably just being crazy, buy maybe Elvis had some deeper reasons for using that theme to open his concerts, oh yeah! remember that bullshit about: 16 + 08 + 1977 = 2001, Also Sprach Zarathustra! haha, don?t believe in that numerology stuff, I don?t mean that when I say that probably there is a deeper reason in Elvis for using that song, he readed a lot so, probably Nietzsche was on his bed table around '71 the year he started to use Capes! hahaha and saw 2001: Space Odysey over and over, haha, Im just telling none sense. Its just that Also Sprach is Kind of a weird thing to open a ROck And Roll concert, but, well ELvis could be really weird some times.

Never read anything about it but Elvis must have seen that movie, he liked Kubrick other masterpiece: Dr. Strangelove anyway. (By the way have you notice how Elvis used A clock Work Orange little Alex kind of Belts a year before that movie came out? probably the fashion at the time I guess)

elvisdownunder
09-28-2005, 06:55 AM
according to joe guercio from careless love, In vegas january 1971, Guercio decided to use it because ihe felt it represented Elvis as a god. Guercios wife, when she saw the film, joked it reminded her of Elvis. Joe agreed. Elvis also had the same idea.

here is Joes quote: we set it up to the point where u get to the last chord, and it would build to such a frenzy that it was orgasm time right up to when Ronnie hit the drums, it was like the ultimate orgasm. thats how Elvis reacted to it too, he did'nt wanna be a guy out there, he wanted to be a god

09-28-2005, 08:55 AM
It was Joe Guercio's wife, and it was genius. Especially at Elvis The Concert - it just gives you shivers!

Raised on Rock
09-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Allright! Thanks everybody for the info, I read LAst Train TO Memphis and I Love it, I hadn?t the chance to go for Careless Love, I must do...

elvisdownunder
09-30-2005, 07:17 AM
yes u must, essential!(y)

KPM
10-02-2005, 03:07 AM
I have heard that it was Priscilla who suggested it to Elvis, and that it was actually Elvis who thought it would add to the drama and excitement. Who ever came up with it was , in my book, brilliant. The anticipation it created was monumental.

emsteph
01-11-2007, 09:36 PM
On Elvis On Tour, the 2001 is similiar, but obviously different. It is not from any concert, but made in studio.

Why was this?

srj1967
01-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Yes, it was Guercios's wife who made the suggestion, then Joe took it to Elvis. It was first used in 1971 ... in the middle of the show!

I'm glad musical decisions weren't based on LSD experiences though; there's no teling what we may have ended up with ... Purple People Eater, perhaps?? :P

As someone who has taken a couple of 'Magical Mystery Tours' myself via LSD in my younger day, anything sounds amazing and profound while you watch lizards crawl up your walls! :'( :'( :'(

But the 2001 Theme ended up being used by a lot of artists. But only Elvis could pul it off without it being silly or pretentious. And yes, it always send shivers up the spine ... and down again.

Geert
01-13-2007, 05:58 PM
I think it was brilliant. It really ads excitement to the start of the show. Agree with sjr1967 that only with Elvis it doesn't sound silly. I think it's a good expansion to his image (the flashy suits etc.).

srj1967
01-14-2007, 09:23 AM
On Elvis On Tour, the 2001 is similiar, but obviously different. It is not from any concert, but made in studio.

Why was this?

The reason was, when the film came out, there were copywrite restrictions on the use of the 2001 Theme, and it couldn't be in the movie. So Joe Guercio wrote a slightly different version to get around it.

Trev1
01-14-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm sure Elvis would hav loved Kubricks film as it addresses the 'meaning of life' which as fans know was something Elvis was always pursuing :king:

srj1967
01-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Don't know if he ever saw it, but I can't imagine Elvis sitting through Kubrick's so-called 'masterpiece', 2001. Like most of Kubrick's movies, it is pretentious and ponderous in the extreme. I can just hear Elvis saying "Switch it off man, and put on Peter Sellers!"
2001 goes on too long, and anyone who says they understand it is fooling themselves. It operates on too many levels, and is an overrated piece of cinema.
The original book by Arthur C. Clarke is great though, and at least that book makes sense.
Can't see Elvis liking the movie though, IMHO. :'(

Raised on Rock
01-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Don't know if he ever saw it, but I can't imagine Elvis sitting through Kubrick's so-called 'masterpiece', 2001. Like most of Kubrick's movies, it is pretentious and ponderous in the extreme. I can just hear Elvis saying "Switch it off man, and put on Peter Sellers!"
2001 goes on too long, and anyone who says they understand it is fooling themselves. It operates on too many levels, and is an overrated piece of cinema.
The original book by Arthur C. Clarke is great though, and at least that book makes sense.

But on the other hand, aside your own pesonal tastes, if we take a look on the kind of readings ELvis did enjoyed and his love for cinema, he could have acctually liked it, but the true is that we have no idea, and Elvis himself was a man of very particular tastes, so is really hard to know what he have liked or not, so I think we must not imply much.

Trev1
01-14-2007, 09:37 PM

I'm sorry I have to disagree with you...Its a great movie, one that really makes you think long after you've seen it...with lots of great camera shots and a great soundtrack to boot...
The Shining is also another Kubrick materpiece...... (y)

Trev1
01-14-2007, 09:38 PM
But on the other hand, aside your own pesonal tastes, if we take a look on the kind of readings ELvis did enjoyed and his love for cinema, he could have acctually liked it, but the true is that we have no idea, and Elvis himself was a man of very particular tastes, so is really hard to know what he have liked or not, so I think we must not imply much.

Agreed! (y)

Geert
01-15-2007, 10:08 AM
The reason was, when the film came out, there were copywrite restrictions on the use of the 2001 Theme, and it couldn't be in the movie. So Joe Guercio wrote a slightly different version to get around it.

Allways wondered about this. Thanks for explaination.