PDA

View Full Version : Elvis and John Lennon.

Glenn
09-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Is it true that John Lennon saw one of those New york concerts in 1972.

And how many times did they meet each other ?

susan
09-27-2005, 11:48 AM
yes, lennon attened the opening show at madison square garden.

don?t know how many times, they met

09-27-2005, 12:15 PM
I think they only met once, during that famous meeting with the Beatles.

After the meeting Lennon asked Elvis to come by the Beatles' place the next night, but Elvis said he was busy. According to some of the guys, he wasnt. But he sent the guys up to them anyway.

Raised on Rock
09-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Lennon wasn´t the only famous face on the MSG gigs, Dylan and George Harrison attended too, as well as David Bowie did.

John and Elvis Only meet once in '65, yet its been told that there were some other attempts from Lennon to meet Elvis again during the 70's but somehow ELvis was always on Tour or bussy, either Elvis simply didn´t like him or either the Coronel and the Memphis Mafia intercepted those attempts to, you know, -keep Elvis isolated from the world-. Is been known that Chuck Berry also attempted to meet Elvis during the 70's but he said he always was blocked somehow.

Anyway it was George Harrison the one who meet Elvis more than once during the 70's, and It was Bob Dylan the one who said he regreted to not have tryied to get near ELvis.

Willie Nelson once told that no matter how famous or influential you were, if the people around Elvis didnt like you near him, ELvis would never knew that you were trying to get to him, and you will never meet him.

Leroy
09-27-2005, 11:37 PM
I wonder if Chuck Berry did try to meet Elvis. If there was one fellow musician who was always badmouthing Elvis it was Chuck. It frustrated him (just as Ray Charles) that it was Elvis (a white boy) who layed down the barrier between the black music and the white music.

About John Lennon. I also think that although John attended the opening concert at Madison Square Garden they only met once.
But it's been said that Elvis pulled some string to help John getting the American Citizenship in 1975. I also think Elvis secrecly admired John as a musician but was not alowed (because of his image) to make it public.

Raised on Rock
09-28-2005, 01:51 AM
Ray Charles never badmouthed Elvis, in fact he actually made a cover of "Separate Ways". ELvis admired Ray CHarles and Ray respected Elvis.

About Chuck berry, I can?t find in which book I got the quote were he says that he tried to get to Elvis, but I read it somewhere, it was probably on a music magazine on an article about Berry not about Elvis, is just that my bedroom is a total mess right now, but I find this history on Elvis from A to Z:

Berry once played the lounge while Elvis was on the main room at the las Vegas Hilton Hotel. Elvis and Sammy Davis Jr. danced across the stage during one of Berrys performances...

And what with that? ah nothing, just that I found it and thought it was funny hahaha...

Anyway ELvis "Thats All RIght" single, a "black" song in "white" style came a year before Chucks "Maybellene", a "white" song in "black" style... So where did Chucky get that idea? but whatever I love Chuck Berrym isnt his music so cool?, I read on Elvisnews.com early this year that a 107 Chuch Berry was about to play on a Tribute to ELvis concert in Tupelo.

By the wait, if there is one guy that has badmouthed Elvis that is Jerry Lee Lewis, (even if he loves Elvis haha) you know that story around '76 when he was arrested for being drunk and smelly shooting a gun outside Graceland, Elvis wasn?t home, and thats why nobody let him in.

Lonniebealestreet
09-28-2005, 04:48 AM
A few years ago I saw what was surely a faked photo from the MSG press conference that showed John sharing the stage with Elvis. It looked pretty real though, I must say. Susan, have you seen that?

Raised on Rock
09-28-2005, 05:08 AM
O.K. I know this is weird, and as they say, you see what you want to see, or hear in this case...

But just for kicks follow me on this one... Put on you ELvis As recorded at Madison Square Garden CD, or LP if youre one of those lucky ones; ok now crack up the volume of your sound sistem at the highest, ready, ok play your Cd now and listen carefully at 0:06, you?ll hear a little voice in the audience saying -WHat this noise?-

Doesnt sound or not just like Lennon voice? I know, Lennon was not on this show, he was on the one of the day before and whatever... but just lisen, does it sound like Lennon saying - What this noise?-

Anyway, John Lennon did a concert at the MSG same year a few months later and thats the one where he sings "HOund DOg" the famous track where he shouts almost at the end of his performance of the song: ELvis I Love You!

Hey man you think you can get that photo (faked or not) and post it here?

May I Add this quote:

"Im not competing myself against Elvis. Rock just happen to be the media which I was born into" John Lennon

Leroy
09-28-2005, 07:25 AM
This is the fake picture of Elvis and John. To come back on the sucject of Ray Charles and Chuck Berry; both artists repeatedly accused Elvis of stealing.

Raised on Rock
09-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Hey Thanks for the Photo, I think Elvis was bigger than little Lennon, but is still cool to see that one...

Well THose acusations were common, never hear any from anyone of those, but as I tell you Thats All Right came long before Maybellene, and Berry took the idea for that one from the Elvis phenomena, so to bad for him acusing of stealing.

On the other hand the croosing of racial borders on music during the 50's was certainly not a one man thing, a lot of artist contributed, Berry And Ray CHarles were crusial for sure, but ELvis, Elvis was the turning point. Like them or not.

susan
09-28-2005, 09:22 AM
never saw that picture before, but it`s some kind of funny.:notworthy

PaleRider
09-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Put on you ELvis As recorded at Madison Square Garden CD, or LP if youre one of those lucky ones; ok now crack up the volume of your sound sistem at the highest, ready, ok play your Cd now and listen carefully at 0:06, you?ll hear a little voice in the audience saying -WHat this noise?-

I tried it just now and could hear SOMETHING there, but I'll need to dig out my headphones later to have a better listen. Blasting 2001 at 5:30 in the morning here may not be such a great idea!

Also on this same show, right after "Elvis has left the building, thank you and good night!" you can hear a guy in the audience saying "Are they kidding? He's left the building?"

Before 2001 on the CD version of the "Alternate Aloha," you can faintly hear Elvis saying, "Okay, I'm ready when you are...here we go..." This is at about 0:32. This is unrelated to John Lennon but your post reminded me of this.

1100ccRider
09-28-2005, 01:13 PM
This is the fake picture of Elvis and John. To come back on the sucject of Ray Charles and Chuck Berry; both artists repeatedly accused Elvis of stealing.

...which is patently absurd not just for the usual good reasons (starting with "you can't 'steal' music, at least not in that sense) but because both Chuck Berry, one of the scummiest men in the business, and ray Charles would have -- by their own reasoning -- stolen traditionally-white music. Both were known for country songs at various times and both recorded music that, like Elvis' blended white and black musical and cultural traditions. Pot calling the kettle black, so to speak...

EnigmaticSun
09-28-2005, 06:38 PM
There's a lot of disinformation about Elvis in the world..! Some folks say that 'he stole it from the negroes' and that he was racist. I don't think this is true, because Elvis was friendly to all kinds of people.

A lot of black artists still love and admire Elvis. It's not right to say that Elvis just did 'the black thing', because there were many other influences as well anyway.

Some people think something like this:

'for quite a while I hated Elvis for these reasons ( he practically invented the modern Las Vegas glitzy stage show, he hung out with Richard Nixon, and he had those awful velvet capes and rhinestone jumpsuits ), but you can't deny the singing talent. I imagine a lot of rock and roll singers I like drew inspiration from the Southern white boy blues crooning of Elvis.'

Or something like this:

'I'm not the world's biggest Elvis fan but I wholeheartedly agree that "cultural imperialism" is bullshit. Where the hell would the world be if groups of people didn't adopt good ideas from other groups of people? I know we'd be stuck listening to polka without it...'

Describe Elvis?He was the greatest who ever was, is, or ever will be.

-Chuck Berry-

I wasn’t just a fan, I was his brother....There’ll never be another like that Soul Brother.

-James Brown-

If Presley copied from me, I don’t care. More power to him.

-Bo Diddley-

I was a tremendous fan, and had Elvis lived, there would be no end to his inventiveness.

-B.B. King-

Elvis was God-given, there’s no other explanation. A Messiah comes around every few thousand years, and Elvis was it this time.

-Little Richard-

A lot of people have accused Elvis of stealing the black man’s music, when in fact, almost every black solo entertainer copied his stage mannerisms from Elvis.

-Jackie Wilson-

Lonniebealestreet
09-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Did I say that photo looked pretty real? :lol: ROR, you're certainly right that the proportions are off, and there are other flaws too. Thanks for posting it, Leroy.

Liverbobs
09-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Lennon was a massive Elvis fan although he preferred the Pre-Army Elvis.
Shortly before Lennon was murdered he had a recurring dream about Elvis in which Elvis was attending a party thrown by Lennon at the Dakota building and John was trying to get to Elvis to talk to him but there were too many people there and he couldn't get through them , strange dream, wonder what it meant:hmm:

KPM
10-02-2005, 04:40 AM
I got into a debate at a Beatle site about Lennon attending the MSG shows. He says Lennon was quoted as saying in a Playboy interview that he never attended any of the Elvis Garden shows. He posted the text form the interview. Lennon was till the day he died a huge fan of Elvis. He wore a diamond Elvis pin on his lapel to several parties and awards shows in the early 70s.
As far as Elvis swiping music from anyone, note Elvis had his first record in 53
his style was in the making and he toured and recorded for two years perfecting it before he went to RCA. Berrys first record was in 55 as was LIttle Richards as was Bo Diddleys, How could he steal from them if he had not heard of them until 55 when he was already about to become and RCA artist. In music you get influenced by everyone you hear in a way. Elvis was influenced by many artists black and white. But they in turn were also influenced by whomever they heard and so on and so on. Elvis never ,as far as I have been able to find, bad mouthed any of the artists above. He always said how much he admired or liked there music. This attempt to paint him as a thief has always bugged me, especially after I saw when they all recorded first.