PDA

View Full Version : inferior cover versions

geordie
08-03-2005, 11:51 PM
just thought id spice things up again:lmfao:

whitch songs that elvis covered do you think were inferior to the original.

in my HUMBLE opinion i think there are only 2

you dont know me -- ray charles is probably the only singer who could nearly match elvis, in such as he could sing anything,i'm not possitive here but i think he wrote the song aswell.

the first time ever i saw your'e face -- roberta flack,this has ,and always will be one of my all time top 10 songs,a truelly marvellous performance of a truelly marvellous song.

so you see, in my HUMBLE :lmfao: opinion,thats about it :notworthy

Lonniebealestreet
08-04-2005, 03:51 AM
Coincidentally enough, before reading your post but after seeing the subject line, my first thought was The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.

If I had to choose a second song, it would probably be another performance from a female vocalist: Dusty Springfield's You Don't Have To Say You Love Me.

I'd mention Hey Jude, but that shouldn't be considered IMO because it shouldn't have been released.

BTW Eddy Arnold wrote You Don't Know Me, though I believe Charles' version is the one most people know.

We seem to have a lot of 'least favorite' threads, don't we?

Lindnet
08-04-2005, 03:00 PM
It's funny that you both mentioned You Don't Know Me. I grew up listening to Eddy Arnold's version (my dad's favorite singer), but Elvis' version is one of my favorite songs that he sings!

I know this was supposed to be about "least favorite" covers, but I have to mention another one that I love. Loving Arms. I had never heard it by anyone but Olivia Newton-John before I got the Rhythm & Country CD, but Elvis just nails it. His voice is just yummy!

Raised on Rock
08-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Ok Let?s see...

Hey Jude and Yesterdey are not better than the original Bealtes sides. Any way the American Studios sound on Hey Jude makes its cool enough, it is "Strangely" Elvis voice the one that sound?s weak, another voice overdubb session and it would have matched the Beatles for sure. Yesterday is not my cup up the neither preformed by Elvis or The Beatles. Im not saying Elvis could?t mach the Fab four, ELvis version of Lady MAdona is far better than the original Beates 68 recording, his voice fit that song better than anybody, even the Beatles know it, "Lady Madona... it sounds like Elvis doesn?t it? No no it doesn?t sound like Elvis, is Elvis -even in those bit where he goes very high- said RIngo Star", and the Nashville treatment is funky, such a shame that ELvis didn?t mind to record that song formaly.

Ok, some other songs that Elvis version can?t mach the original, I don?t think You don?t know me is the case, I dig Elvis version more than the Ray CHalres version, and I dig Ray CHales, but from all the songs that both artist recorded, I like Elvis sides more and for much, except for two: the Beatles Yesterday, and Ray Charles What I Say. Yesterday because ELvis version is not great at all, and Ray CHalres is superb; the second is What I Say, not that all versions ELvis made of that one aren?t great, many artist including Eric CLapton have cover it, but Elvis versions are the best of them all, but people, the Ray Charles 59 original single is an unmachable classic.

Some other songs that Elvis cover vesion is not good enough? no I don?t think there are more, ELvis had an unmachale ability to remake any kind of song, and make it the definitive version, have you ever hear the original version of I Just Can Help Belivin, haha, its simply tastles and borring, but when Elvis covered, he made it in a soulfull way that could mach any one on Motown or Stax in those days, he was King.

Lindnet
08-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Oh, I'm with you all the way on I Just Can't Help Believing!! Whenever I hear the original, I think, "Yuck, Elvis does this one wayyyyy better!".

Now I have to hear him do Yesterday and Lady Madonna, so I can judge for myself! What CD are those on? An FTD one?

mn-designs
08-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Both songs can be found on the 70's masters boxset 'walk a mile in my shoes', one of the best boxsets released by BMG (altough they left out a few jewels..) it's time we get upgraded version of all 3 boxsets, mixed with the new dsd technology!

EnigmaticSun
08-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Well, here is another thread of ' least favorite...'!

I don't really think Elvis made inferior covers. No matter how you look at it, it used to be an honor for an artist if his work was to be redone by another performer. You can tell by listening to Bach, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert, Wagner... It is as if the line Bach started continues throughout the centuries in the work of other composers.. I'll be glad to see Elvis' line continue throughout the ages.

Well, Elvis did cover versions and by doing these he really honored the original performers. The Beatles must have been feeling honoured enough although I must say I like Elvis' voice way better than any other Beatle - even when hoarse his voice is richer and more versatile.

There were people who thought of Elvis' version of ' She Wears My Ring' as being inferior to Roy Orbison's version. My opinion is that Elvis has got more subtlety, an approach more gentle than his Texan colleague.

Does anyone agree that Elvis' version of 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' is better than the original? His vocal capacity is so much greater than Simon and Garfunkel's. And I also think Elvis sang 'It's Now Or Never' better than Pavarotti did his version of O Sole Mio.

Raised on Rock
08-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Bridge Over Troubled Water is long way better than the original, and the original is a great great record, but Elvis vocals are superb on that track both the studio cut and the live version. Somebody asked Paul Simon about Elvis version, and he simply said it felt wonderfull.

Elvis version of "Yesterday" is not on "Walk a mile in my shoes" in that one is the Beatles "Lady Madona" and "Something". Yesterday is on the Album "On Stage", which would be a perfect album except for that track hahahaha...

What about a new obvious threat after this one: favourite Elvis cover songs! well there to many of those, but which ones do you think outstrip the originals, I mean, which Elvis covers do you think are light years above the originals?

Lindnet
08-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Hey, thanks for the info! It made me go look at the On Stage album and I think I will buy it.

Now, can you tell me which album(s) have Bridge Over Troubled Water on them? I really have alot of Elvis, and I can't believe I don't have this one!

NEA
08-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Hi Lindnet,

You will find 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' originally on "That's The Way It Is" CD and also the "That's The Way It Is" special edition which is a 3-CD set and somewhat more expensive.

It can also be found on the recent "Elvis By The Presleys" 2 CD set and "Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70s Masters" Box Set. Elvis has also performed this classic at a number of his shows that include versions which can be found on the "Live In Las Vegas" Box set and the Follow That Dream label CDs entitled "Dixieland Rocks" and "Spring Tours 77".

Cheers,

NEA.

waymore44
08-05-2005, 05:23 AM
inferior Elvis covers

Blueberry Hill
Rip It Up
Ready Teddy
You Don't Know Me (soundtrack version)
Hey Jude
I'll Never Fall In Love Again
T-R-O-U-B-L-E (not a cover but has been covered, Travis Tritt's is better, but he had a lot of time to figure out how to improve it!)
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
What'd I Say
Without Love
Sweet Caroline
Lady Madonna
Yesterday
Something

EnigmaticSun
08-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Do you really dislike Elvis that much, Waymore? I don't think Elvis' version of T-R-O-U-B-L-E is bad. It would have been nice in combination with Jerry Lee Lewis playing the piano i'd say - but in my opinion Elvis is the better singer of the two. Travis Tritt rocks on this one two, but I wouldn't say better. It's a bit like the live version of Folsom Prison Blues by Tritt - it isn't bad at all, but doesn't surpass the Johnny Cash original either.

Without Love is one of my favorite Elvis' tracks. Ok, his voice was a little bit hoarse in '69, but very, very soulful, committed and so diverse. It's so gospel and therefore so Elvis.. The voice is what builds an Elvis song - in my opinion better than any Beatle, Tritt, Fats Domino, McPhatter or Jerry Lee.

Even if there are a few singers (most often classically trained) with more technical vocal skill, Elvis will always be special in a way that he was terribly diverse with such an incredible amount of talent. And of course the version of Hurt from Indy '77 would definitely impress an opera star.

mn-designs
08-05-2005, 12:13 PM
I think the version of I'll never fall in love again is not as good as the Tom Jones version..and Tom Jones almost raped the song 'without love' the same goes for the Hey jude song..this goes for Elvis and Tom Jones, altough mr. Jones gave it complete different backing, and that must be given some credit, not saying it's better..but at least different.
Would be very nice if Elvis and Jones did a duet of Never fall in love again...back in the days.

Cherokee
08-05-2005, 02:40 PM
THE absolute worst cover Elvis ever did in my opinion was indeed "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face". Roberta Flack's original is simply sublime and should not have been tampered with by ANYONE. It still sends shivers down my spine and brings tears of emotion to my eyes it is soooooo perfect and gorgeous. The timing and phrasing is just right.:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
I was always very curious about what Elvis' version would sound like and when I first heard it I was so disappointed, simly gutted.

"White Christmas" is also one that I do not like at all, by Elvis. Bing Crosby's version will always be my #1 for that song.:notworthy

Another one is not done as badly as "The First Time...." but still I think the original version suited the feeling of the song better is "Words" by The BeeGees. Of course, and they should be, they are very honored that Elvis covered their song, but I think their simple, clean, sensitive version suits the lyrics of the song much better than Elvis uptempo, orchestrated version. And by that I mean the original, recorded, version. I don't like the BeeGees live versions of the song, which are all done for effect (great long silence after the last "It's only words" so all the fans go into a frenzy for Barry, sometimes that lasts for minutes, which totally ruins the song - but I guess makes for a great live experience......) before he finishes the song.

Although Elvis did a wonderful version of "Solitaire", I still prefer Karen Carpenter's haunting, perfect version to his......:blink:

Lonniebealestreet
08-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Jackie,

I'm also in agreement with you on White Christmas. I never cared for it. If I want to hear it sung with that arrangement, I'll take the Ink Spots' version.

Just to add something to my choice of You Don't Have To Say You Love Me, there's really nothing I don't like about Elvis' rendition or anything that's really inferior. I just happen to like Dusty Springfield's version a tad bit more.

More on The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face...There were some live versions in which he sang the "first time ever I lay with you" verse, and the most noteworthy of all was the performance from Birmingham, Alabama on the night of December 29, 1976. It was a very nice delivery of the song and one in which he slowed the pace down--not to the extent of Flack's version, but considerably anyway.
I think it's especially interesting because throughout the song (2 or 3 times) he tried to hint to the band that he wanted to simplify the sound by saying, "Listen to me." Finally he spelled it out to them by saying, "Everybody lay out here except for David Briggs," and then he delivered that last verse. It was really beautiful, sung nearly a capella like that and a shame that the band hadn't taken his hints earlier in the song. That's what happens when you don't rehearse though, I guess.

This just came to mind: I have never heard any of the abandoned duets of this song Elvis recorded with Ginger Holladay and Temple Riser. Does anyone have these on CD? On which import(s) can they be found?

JerryNodak
08-07-2005, 08:28 AM
I don't have any of my Elvis reference books in front of me, but if memory serves me(and it probably doesn't) didn't Elvis actually have his version of "First Time Ever"...... in the can before Flack cut/released hers? If so, Elvis' version wouldn't technically be a cover.

Please fell free to correct the record if I'm in error(and I probably am).

Raised on Rock
08-07-2005, 08:45 AM
You are right; First Time Ever I Saw youre face was recorded by Elvis first; it kind of the same thing that happened with Always on My Mind, it was released to late, and some other people have already made it a hit; Im sure that if Always On My Mind was released as soon posible somewhere in April or as late as May 1972, It would have been a top ten hit as ti was Burning Love. But they waited till november or so, an by then it became a cover and did?t get much attention. To bad.

jbgude
08-07-2005, 09:51 AM
While I agree that " First time ever .." was a really poor cover, I also found " Whole lotta shakin..." especially the original version released on " Elvis Country" to be a very poor cousin to JLL version.
I also think Elvis' Green Green Grass of home inot as good as To Jone's as also " he'll have to go" - compared to Jim Reeves.

Cherokee
08-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Jackie,

I'm also in agreement with you on White Christmas. I never cared for it. If I want to hear it sung with that arrangement, I'll take the Ink Spots' version.

Just to add something to my choice of You Don't Have To Say You Love Me, there's really nothing I don't like about Elvis' rendition or anything that's really inferior. I just happen to like Dusty Springfield's version a tad bit more.

More on The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face...There were some live versions in which he sang the "first time ever I lay with you" verse, and the most noteworthy of all was the performance from Birmingham, Alabama on the night of December 29, 1976. It was a very nice delivery of the song and one in which he slowed the pace down--not to the extent of Flack's version, but considerably anyway.
I think it's especially interesting because throughout the song (2 or 3 times) he tried to hint to the band that he wanted to simplify the sound by saying, "Listen to me." Finally he spelled it out to them by saying, "Everybody lay out here except for David Briggs," and then he delivered that last verse. It was really beautiful, sung nearly a capella like that and a shame that the band hadn't taken his hints earlier in the song. That's what happens when you don't rehearse though, I guess.

This just came to mind: I have never heard any of the abandoned duets of this song Elvis recorded with Ginger Holladay and Temple Riser. Does anyone have these on CD? On which import(s) can they be found?

One of those was the first version I heard of the song, which is why it was such an enormous disappointment: the tempo was all wrong and made the song sound so much less sensitive than it should, and than Roberta's perfect version sounds.... but no, only have it on tape.....
As for the fact that Elvis may have recorded it before Roberta, but released it after her perfect version: to me that doesn't change the fact that hers is the ultimate version of the song. I mean, the way she chose to deliver it fits the lyrics and sentiment of the song to a tee......:notworthy

Regarding "Always on my Mind": Willie Nelson's version always brings a tear to my eye, even more so than Elvis', but in that case I don't see a distinct difference in quality, just difference in interpretation.:hmm:

And yes: I also like "Green Green Grass" better in Tom Jones' version. I really like the sound of young Tom Jones' voice, when he didn't have to try so hard:D

As for "He'll have to go": Jim Reeves' rendition was the first I'd ever heard of the song, since my dad is a fan, so for years I'd been brought up with the song. It wasn't until the early eighties that I heard Elvis' version. Didn't he leave out one verse?:hmm: Anyway, I think it is an alright version, only that it is just a tad too low for what he intends to do with the lines endings a la Jim Reeves......:blush:

EnigmaticSun
08-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Interesting to read that there are folks who dislike Elvis' version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. I just like the sound of Elvis' voice better than Flack's. Although her version is very good Elvis has got something special, maybe it's his experience as an entertainer. I think that Elvis' versions of this song got better and better over time.

I don't think Green Green Grass Of Home is better with Tom Jones. Tom is a cool and nice guy, but his sound is so ' Frank Sinatra-like' in a way that he seems to sing from his throat a tad too much(and not enough from his midriff). Elvis has got more emotion and passion than Tom does and in my opinion has got a better balance between hard and soft as well.

Willie Nelson is also a very loveable character who likes to smoke marihuana responsibly, but his voice is nowhere nearly as good as Elvis'. I definitely prefer Elvis' versions of Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain and Always On My Mind above Willie's. I guess a factor was that Elvis was having trouble with his marriage at the time of singing Always On My Mind, so it fitted his mood rather well.

I must say that Jim Reeves did have a carefully developed beautiful singing voice and I like his version of He'll Have To Go. I'd say that Jim's version of the song would definitely give Elvis a run for his money, so to speak, but I like both of them. Elvis does succeed in making it his version, not too close to the original, so it is innovating enough.

JerryNodak
08-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Re: Elvis "cover" versions. I tend to like them in general. I try not to compare one to the other because you're comparing apples to oranges. Different singers.
Different styles. If I prefer one version over another it's because I favor the singers interpetation of said song. ie: I prefer Willie Nelson's laid back, restrained versions of Always On My Mind and Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain. But I don't dislike Elvis' versions. I like Elvis' version of White Christmas becuse for its time it was adventerous. Almost sacreligious. He could have given it a safe
Crosby like interpetation, but didn't. I like Elvis and Tom's version Green, Green Grass Of Home equally.

The only song that Elvis covered that I dislike is Hey Jude. Terrible. But, I hate that song by The Beatles or anyone else for that matter.

Cherokee
08-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Re: Elvis "cover" versions. I tend to like them in general. I try not to compare one to the other because you're comparing apples to oranges. Different singers.
Different styles. If I prefer one version over another it's because I favor the singers interpetation of said song. ie: I prefer Willie Nelson's laid back, restrained versions of Always On My Mind and Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain. But I don't dislike Elvis' versions. I like Elvis' version of White Christmas becuse for its time it was adventerous. Almost sacreligious. He could have given it a safe
Crosby like interpetation, but didn't. I like Elvis and Tom's version Green, Green Grass Of Home equally.

The only song that Elvis covered that I dislike is Hey Jude. Terrible. But, I hate that song by The Beatles or anyone else for that matter.

I see the point you're trying to make, but I respectfully disagree as far as the treatment a song is given by respective singers, that might not fit the lyrics (and thus often the spirit) of the song.
In the case of "White Christmas", "Words" and especially "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" that is the case with Elvis' versions. I see it in the same category as the way Whitney Houston butchered the sweet and loving "I will always love you" (interpreted as it was intended by Dolly Parton who wrote it) by blaring it out like a foghorn. It was a LOVE song for goodness sake, not an alarm at high sea!:D

Ergo: in Elvis' versions of "Words" and "TFTEISYF" I think he bypassed the sentiment of the song the way he chose to interpret them.... JMO.....:hmm: