PDA

View Full Version : assorted questions

cutiepie
07-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Greetings!!

I have a few questions regarding varying aspects of Elvis:

1. Is the DVD "That's The Way It Is (Special Edition)" worth buying? I finally figured out what "TTWII" means! It took a long time!! What makes this edition special--was there an earlier edition that was just so-so??

2. What about the Aloha concert "Deluxe Edition"? I'm thinking about purchasing both of these, so your input would help me make a decision!

3. What other DVD would you recommend as essential to own??

4. What kind of yoga did Elvis practice? Iyengar? Hatha??

5. In the 1968 special, Elvis kept rubbing his eyes--was it the glaucoma at an early stage? He also cleared his throat a lot--was he sick? allergies? just nervous?

6. In the second "sit down" show, Elvis has his jacket unzipped with a low-cut V-neck T-Shirt. I don't think he had that on during the first show--any info?

Thanks a bunch! My inquiring mind wants to know! :)

Jumpsuit Junkie
07-26-2005, 11:04 PM
1. Is the DVD "That's The Way It Is (Special Edition)" worth buying? I finally figured out what "TTWII" means! It took a long time!! What makes this edition special--was there an earlier edition that was just so-so??

There was indeed an earlier edition but not on DVD to my knowledge, the Limited Edition had extra scenes and songs added, it is well worth buying!

2. What about the Aloha concert "Deluxe Edition"? I'm thinking about purchasing both of these, so your input would help me make a decision!

I also have the Aloha Deluxe edition and it is great, there were a lot of people who were not happy with this release but i was as happy as a pig in mud with mine...... Both the live event and the rehearsal are on this DVD plus the recording of the inserted songs for the satelite show, i never tire of watching it....

3. What other DVD would you recommend as essential to own??

I have a bootleg copy of the "Elvis On Tour DVD" which you can find out there on the Internet or ebay. I like this show a lot and it could do with getting the Deluxe treatment as there are hours of previously unrealease footage out there that the fans would love to see.

I also have a copy of "Elvis In Concert" 1977 on DVD there are a lot of copies out there but beware some of the quality is very poor, Its worth having a copy of this, the tv show is good quality but the Omaha and Rapid City shows tend to be grainy.

5. In the 1968 special, Elvis kept rubbing his eyes--was it the glaucoma at an early stage? He also cleared his throat a lot--was he sick? allergies? just nervous?

I think that the probable answer to this question is the Vegas throat answer where the enviroment can be dry and singers suffer from dry throats and have to clear it before moving to the next song. I also think that Elvis' voice on the 68 Special is a bit rougher than it was, say in 1970. I think Elvis was trying to give the songs the edge they had back in the 50's and his voice was much better trained by 68 and so he was forcing his voice to do something which wasn't natural to him anymore.

Hope this covers some of your questions, if you need more detail I will try my best to help out.

Matt

cutiepie
07-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Thank you, Matt! Your information helps a lot! I think I'll hop on over to amazon and buy those DVDs! :D

Jungleroom76
07-28-2005, 01:32 AM
For the sake of comparison cutiepie, before you watch TTWII SPECIAL EDITION, take the time to re-watch the original 1970 version of TTWII!!!

In my conversations with fans, they have told me that refreshing your memory with the original 1970 version before watching the SPECIAL EDITION version for the first time really seemed to help them appreciate all of the hard work that went into making TTWII SPECIAL EDITION that much more!!! And, although I didn't do that myself (I was lucky enough to see the premiere screening of TTWII SPECIAL EDITION when I was in Memphis for Elvis Week 2000), I have had my friends and family watch the original before showing them the SPECIAL EDITION and it really does seem to allow for a much deeper appreciation of the new version of the film!!!

Just my two cents.... ;)
TCB!
Mike

Joe Car
07-28-2005, 03:16 PM
TTWII, the original was an incredible performance from EP. The Aloha DVD that came out last year is also a must buy and the 68 special, (the greatest performance in rock&roll history) goes without saying. The rehearsal show was fantastic and EP put on a singing clinic during the actual special itself. You can't go wrong with any of these and you come away thinking, wow!

cutiepie
07-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Thank you for the input! I'm eagerly awaiting my shipment! I guess I became an Elvis fan at just the right time--I didn't know that the Aloha special was just recently released. woohoo! :clap:

NEA
07-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Hey Cutiepie,

I'm eagerly awaiting your shipment too! (lol)...

You're going to be a bigger fan than what you expect...I'm so excited for you!

WOW!

NEA.