PDA

View Full Version : 50s, 60s or 70s What do you prefer?

Wendy56
07-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Do you have a favorite Elvis "season"? Why? About me... well, I like them all. I guess each one has something special. 50s. time seems to be great, the fashion, the music... that sexy Elvis' style. 60s. are defined by the movies, I think. And 70s are, kind of, spiritual to me, wonderful time too.

elvisdownunder
07-17-2005, 09:39 AM
well the 50s are what made Elvis so famous, but i became an Elvis fan because of his passionate live performances, i listened to 'the wonder of you', how great thou art, i can't stop lovin you' etc, and so the first boxset i bought was the essential 70s masters, i just loved the bellowing quality in his voice, which i have tried partly to copy, and the passion he put in to the songs above

but as time went on, i began to broaden out, lately i have recognised that the 50s WAS the decade that opened the worlds eyes to Elvis, the young sexy 21 year old who swivelled his hips to rocknroll and music history, and i appreciated that fact by listening to the live Little Rock 56 recording, the kind of uncontrolled animalistic show that managed Elvis to let go. when i listen to 'that allright mama, heartbreak hotel, and hound dog, THESE are the recordings that made Elvis the phenomenon

and then in the 60s we find a kind of controled maturity that is light years away from what he was, he works hard to make his voice perfection while making his emotions clear in the songs.

this is how i think of these decades

i enjoy both the 60s and the 70s for reasons above, but i'll have to go with the 70s as my fave decade

Wendy56
07-17-2005, 10:03 AM
I agree with you, Scott, (elvisdownunder) 70s were great, many good songs were recorded then. Those years really rocks!!! I like 70s very much. :cool:

By the way, thanks for your reply.

Lisa
07-17-2005, 10:04 AM
I like the 70's.. Because I love the Vegas years etc

Lisa :king:

michu
07-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Do you have a favorite Elvis "season"? Why? About me... well, I like them all. I guess each one has something special. 50s. time seems to be great, the fashion, the music... that sexy Elvis' style. 60s. are defined by the movies, I think. And 70s are, kind of, spiritual to me, wonderful time too.
I share your viewpoint although, I think its not surprise, I like 60s less than 50s and 70s.

EnigmaticSun
07-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Bono of the band U2 has said that the Vegas era is underrated and indeed this does ring a bell... It is the most emotional era and the voice is 'bigger than his gut' indeed. Elvis and the opera! :king:

joanne
07-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Elvis looked at his best and sounded at his best in the 70`s in my opinion.

P.S. Annie
07-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Most exciting era for me is the 50's, the music, clothes, the rebel. But love the 60's to, espacially the beginning and the end, 1968 comeback special, 1969 superb Memphis sessions. And 70's because of the concerts and the change of his voice. But the soft spot is for the 50's.

Elvisgirl
07-17-2005, 05:13 PM
the 70's....

moodyblue87
07-17-2005, 06:31 PM
I agree, i think the 70s is the best

Fire_Eyes
07-17-2005, 07:04 PM
It was a toss up between the 50s and 60s. In the 50s, it was all about music and that's what Elvis focused on. Sometimes I think he never should've changed from the music. But either way, he did, and we have the mostly movie dominated 60s, which I particularly enjoyed the most. Not because his movies were award winning, because they were certainly not, but because although he may not have had the time of his life doing these movies he looked good doing it. I also must give honorable swoons to both 1968 and 1969. :blush:

Matelvis
07-17-2005, 07:42 PM
I prefer the 70's because he wase the tiger man in Las Vegas.
Of course, in the 50's, I like im because he bring somthing new, a new world of music was born.
In the 60's we got the 68 comeback absolutly fantastic ...

:notworthy

rick
07-18-2005, 12:31 PM
I like all era, but the 70s I find most fascinating

rick

pacer1965
07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
I like all the era's as well
My top 3....

1.1970s
2.1960s
3.1950s

iloveelvis05
07-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Okay...I like all of Elvis, but if I had get specific, this would be it.

50's -- I like the Elvis' energy the best in the 50's.

60's -- I like Elvis' looks and of course, the movies, the best in the 60's.

70's -- I like the songs that were sung by Elvis the best in the 70's.

(y)

Graceland1979
07-20-2005, 06:52 AM
I LIKED ELVIS IN THE 70'S HE WAS A GREAT HE WAS AT THE TOP OF HIS GAME AND HE WILL ALWAYS BE THE KING JUST THE WAY THE MAN COULD SING :'( (y) (y)

Graceland1979
07-20-2005, 06:54 AM
I LIKED ELVIS IN THE 70'S HE WAS A GREAT HE WAS AT THE TOP OF HIS GAME AND HE WILL ALWAYS BE THE KING JUST THE WAY THE MAN COULD SING :'( (y) (y)

BEFORE ELVIS THERE WAS NOTHING
PROUD ELVIS COLLECTORS CLUB MEMBER SINCE 1997

Wendy56
07-20-2005, 07:35 AM
50's -- I like the Elvis' energy the best in the 50's.

60's -- I like Elvis' looks and of course, the movies, the best in the 60's.

70's -- I like the songs that were sung by Elvis the best in the 70's.

You're right. I agree. 70s are specially :cool:

Liverbobs
07-20-2005, 07:49 AM
Well, I actually prefer the years 67-77, I'd go for the 70's but I can't miss out the 68 special or the Memphis 69 sessions:cool:

Tommy
09-18-2005, 10:41 PM
I love all the era's. They all have something very special. (y)

Long Live The King,

Tommy

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Just to start and how I am feeling right now (y)

1956/57/58 - Raw Power & Rock 'n' Roll - Jailhouse Rock & King Creole Movies
1968 - For the 68 Special
1969 - Charro & Change of Habit Movies
(1969 & 1970 is my favourite period for music sound and the live vibe - TTWII)
1972 - Madison Square Gardens, fantastic shows
1973 - Aloha from Hawaii - Landmark Show
1976 - New Years Show - Great Concert
1977 - CBS Show - HGTA - Unchained Melody etc

There is tons more but I'd probably list something for each year from the 50's to 1977............................. so I guess all decades, the whole package makes him what he is ;)

Matt

Albert
09-20-2005, 09:46 PM
I just love the "60s Elvis". This era offers so much:

* the bright, young, post army Elvis
* the moviestar in great movies (Blue Hawaii, GI BLues, Viva Las Vegas, and more)
* the gospelsinger (with 2 amazing gospel albums)
* the comeback kid (68 special and the return to Vegas)
* many different voices (just compare Guitar Man/US Male, with There's Always Me/Surrender or with Rock-a-Hula/Golden Coins)

The "70s Elvis" is stunning, but it also has a depressive, sad edge on it. And that doesn't outweigh the positive for me.

EP4MEUK
09-21-2005, 03:49 PM
It as to be the 70's for me. Although I love to watch the early performances there is something extra special about the performances in the 70's. Elvis voice was much deeper and powerful. I personally believe that going through lifes experiences gave Elvis the ability to deliver a very sincere song with deep emotion and I think that is what swings it for me :notworthy

love and peace,
Susan.

http://www.geocities.com/enriqueschic2001/522.gif

09-21-2005, 05:10 PM
I don't know if I can pick an era! It used to be the 70's, but the magic of the 50's is unmistakeable. Certainyl the mid 60's dont appeal to me that much as Elvis wasnt afforded the opportunity to be very creative during that time period. However, who can forget the 68' Comeback special of Vegas 69' or even the Memphis Sessions in 69'? Those 3 events, do as well as the Elvis Is Back album do enough to save the whole of the 60's for me, and maybe make them even one of my favourite Elvis periods. I don't really know, the raw uncut 50's Elvis which again surfaced in the very late 60's, or 70's Elvis, who for all the fun poked at him during this period, was magnificent for the vast majority of it. I don't know! I think I'm more confused about the whole lot now!:blink:

DaleCooper
09-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Elvis is all ! The 50s' 60s' and the 70'... We can find what we like, what we need, what we love in all thses ares...

ElvisBlue
09-21-2005, 10:53 PM
I like them all, the 50's the 60's and the 70's, because I think in every season Elvis did his best. And in everything he did, he lay his heart and soul. I like all movies from the 50's, 60's and the 70's Tour-Movies. I Like All Songs from the 50's, 60's and 70's the same. But for a little spot I prefer the 50's, because my opinion is that Elvis looks his best in the 50's...

Take care Wendy, sincerely ElvisBlue

SweetInspiration
09-21-2005, 10:58 PM
When I was young it was 50's Elvis and nothing else. Now that Im growing up (still refuse to say grown up) I prefer 70's Elvis. I think the 70's show a more mature and deeper Elvis. I think he grew musically and his voice was at its best. Especially early 70's.

Wendy56
09-25-2005, 10:00 AM
When I was young it was 50's Elvis and nothing else. Now that Im growing up (still refuse to say grown up) I prefer 70's Elvis. I think the 70's show a more mature and deeper Elvis. I think he grew musically and his voice was at its best. Especially early 70's.

I agree with you. I felt something similar... This is a nice reply. Thank you (!) (y)

boogie
09-25-2005, 01:42 PM
After a long time, my first post here...
I surely go for the '70's, because of voice, music and stage presentation...
But let us not forget the beautiful moments of 50 and 60 (like NBC, vegas 69, the gospels,king creole... and many more)

Memphisgurl
09-25-2005, 11:50 PM
personally, i love elvis in every era, he just brought so much charisma to music. he was just great, i think some of his great songs came from the 70's, every era of elvis was spectacular!:D

KPM
10-02-2005, 12:18 AM
The 70s because he went back to live performing. Having been an Elvis fan since 1960 I had wanted him to go live for years. Almost saw him in 1970 in St. Louis, his second concert of his first tour since 1961. We had a garage sale to raise the money and we went to get tickets about 5 days after they went on sale. We were amazed he had sold out in hours on the first day! Finally got to see him
3-22-76 and it was great. He was not the Elvis of 1970, but he was much better than 1977. Looked pretty good sounded great.

Menwithbrokenhearts
10-04-2005, 08:11 AM
There are six years that I love the most 1968-1973. After his comeback special he was truly an inspired man. Those Memphis sessions are brilliant, not to mention several sessions during those years. Lean, mean fighting machine.

If i have to rate them though, I'd say the 70's is my favorite, because that is when I remember him the most, when I got to see him in concert and when all my records back then were from. Lots of memories associated with that time, the excitement of the Aloha special, for me, was similar to my mom when she saw him on the Ed Sullivan show the first time. I was hooked.

I like the 50's next because of his raw, unadulterated in your face voice and performance and the fact that he virtually single handedly changed the face of music during that time. I also fine the dichotomy of his on stage bravado and sexuality and his off stage shy, polite christian country boy persona that was genuine and unique.

I like the 60's last not because of the movies. I love his voice during this time. I think it was best then. He just didn't do many live performances or non movie related studio recordings until the end. But his non movie recordings, and even some of the movie recordings, are superb. I think people forget that the reason some of these songs sound silly is because your listening to them out of context, like any movie soundtrack would make you feel if you hadn's seen the movie. I like all the songs from this time, but not all the movies. But, he still looked and sounded great in them!

Wendy56
10-04-2005, 04:32 PM
There are six years that I love the most 1968-1973. After his comeback special he was truly an inspired man. Those Memphis sessions are brilliant, not to mention several sessions during those years. Lean, mean fighting machine.

I like the 60's last not because of the movies. I love his voice during this time. I think it was best then... I think people forget that the reason some of these songs sound silly is because your listening to them out of context, like any movie soundtrack would make you feel if you hadn's seen the movie. I like all the songs from this time, but not all the movies. But, he still looked and sounded great in them!

Thanks for your great reply! And... did you really watch a live Elvis concert? You're so lucky!
I agree with you... Those words about 60s soundtracks are so true. (y) Thanks for writing them. ;)
I love '68-'73 too, but I guess I like a little bit more those burning 50s... No wonder why my "name" is Wendy56 :P

Thanks a lot.

Menwithbrokenhearts
10-05-2005, 06:38 PM
sorry about the multiple postings. My computer was acting up and I couldn't tell if my reply was being posted. Didn't mean to crowd this thread posting. thanks

eap197701
10-14-2005, 12:43 AM
I liked the 70's the best although all his years were good the 70's combined all of the years he was is his world with the fans and his music there wasn't nothing he couldn't perform or do even at the end of his life in 1977 look at his last concert the way he sang his voice the man could almost hit any note he always performed to his very best because of us his fans the ones he never wanted to dissapoint.

MsCilla
04-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Tough!
- Well, I suppose I liked him in the early 70's.
Especially in That's The Way It Is.

robman
04-17-2006, 10:23 PM
elvis was at his best in the 1960's
his voice was used too much in the 70's
and in the 50's he was still improving his vocals

ElvisTributeArtist
04-18-2006, 12:07 AM
I like the 70s over all 3 decades. His voice was mature and he also had a good rock n roll show.

ELV1S
04-18-2006, 12:36 AM
I love the 50s Elvis - not just because the music was great - but it was the invention of rock n roll thta changed the world forever and inspired The Beatles and Bob Dylan - 2 other artists up with Elvis as the greatest 3 of the century (y)

JDD
04-18-2006, 03:40 AM
:hmm: Had I been a member at the time it would have been a tough poll to vote in. The reasons being I think his three biggest Highlites were in each of those decades that being the 1956 year when he was dangerous and young and just breaking out nationally setting the stage for everything to come by stamping his name on history forever.

Then the70s aloha concert was unique he was on the top of his game it was seen all over the world he looked good, sounded great. It was Elvis doing something he felt was important and it came across.

If I had to chose one era I'd take the 60s just because in my opinion the in the round preformance of the 68 special was the best Elvis ever was. He was vocally superior, He played the guitar better then I ever seen him, he was in shape and having fun again like a weight was lifted. If I had to pick a moment to show non Elvis fans , why I am a Elvis fan, the 68 special will always be the first.

nashville cat
04-18-2006, 01:48 PM
I would probably go with the 70's, partly for the music and the attitude, but also because that era is so compelling. His singing was so filled with emotion and it's even more powerful when you know what he was going through as a person.

That being said, I think the 60's are highly underrated. He cut many, many classic songs during this period (aside from soundtracks). For instance, the songs found on the third disc of the 60's box always blow me away. "Western Union", "Long Lonely Highway", "Slowly But Surely", "It Hurts Me", etc. Most of these songs are completely overlooked. Not to mention the great tunes recorded in 1966, which was the beginning of the comeback, IMO. I think his music and voice was more consistent during the 60s. I really don't think he cut a bad song during that time (once again, aside from soundtracks), and his voice was just impeccable. There's more fire in the 50s, and more raw emotionon in the 70s - but the 60s is the most consistent as far as I'm concerned.

JDD
04-18-2006, 08:35 PM
That being said, I think the 60's are highly underrated. He cut many, many classic songs during this period (aside from soundtracks). For instance, the songs found on the third disc of the 60's box always blow me away. "Western Union", "Long Lonely Highway", "Slowly But Surely", "It Hurts Me", etc. Most of these songs are completely overlooked. Not to mention the great tunes recorded in 1966, which was the beginning of the comeback, IMO. .

(y) I agree with that. A lot of the 60s work gets slagged off as the "movie years" in almost a dismissive tone.

STUD
08-28-2006, 07:43 AM
I was just thinking 'bout starting a poll about which of the 3 Elvises do you prefer, but then I thought I'd better do a search, and sure enough it's been done.

Interesting decision, and since the option is there, I'd have to vote for ALL of them (but the poll is closed, oh well). That said, if I had to pick one, I'd choose the '60s Elvis. I agree that much of his '60s material gets overlooked cuz of the campy movies, but the early '60s and late '60s recordings were awesome. And yes, some of the movie songs were good too. And the gospel was great too! I also think Elvis looked his best in the '60s, especially in the '68 Comeback.

All in all, if I had to rank the 3 Elvises, combining his looks, performance, and song quality, it would be IMO - 1)'60s, 2)'70s, 3)'50s. But ALL of them were great in their own way! It's funny, cuz it's like they're 3 different people.

elvislady
08-28-2006, 05:38 PM
:D definatly the 70s for me he looked so good then.
elvislady:)

Suspicious Minds
08-28-2006, 09:53 PM
I vote for the 70's because that's when I started buying Elvis records.(y)

I also like the 50's and 60's.(y)

MickyG63
07-30-2007, 06:56 AM
I take Elvis as a whole. People choose the eras they like most usually because it's the era they lived through and therefore relate to it more, or because they can't associate with an era because it's just too far back in time. I think he brought something new to himself in all the eras. He couldn't have sung something like "hurt" in the '50s, but then again his '70s versions of his '50s stuff do not hold up against the originals.

Each era has a certain kind of atmophere - something in the ether if you like. When I listen to '50's music I want it to have that sound, that atmosphere. The same for the '60s & '70s. In other words my opinion of Elvis' look, sound of his voice, etc, is based on what attracts me to each respective era. That's why I take Elvis as a whole. Because that's what made him who he was. To leave out any one era does him a great disservice as an artist. There are great things to be found in all of them. There is as much greatness to be found in Elvis, Scotty & bill strapping their instruments to the top of their car and hitting the road - and in the proccess changing popular music and culture - as there is in any of the Vegas slickness & professionalism. As I said, each era has its merits.

Wendy56
07-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Thanks for bringing back my thread! I do love all eras, but 50s have a especial place in my heart... :wub:

rich
07-30-2007, 06:15 PM
The 70`s Long Live The King.

goodelvisgirl
07-30-2007, 06:17 PM
well i love elvis from 68-77 but it would have to be the 70's cos of the songs that came out and ttwii elvis on tour aloha from hawaii were great dvd's the divorce all helped elvis make great music he sang for the love of music not just for the money the songs came from the heart and filled with soul

Leroy
07-30-2007, 06:45 PM
I just prefer: Elvis!