PDA

View Full Version : Graceland - Museum or not Museum?

NEA
07-17-2005, 02:41 AM
Hi Guys,

Do you think that the interior of Graceland should have retained it's 70's look (Red, Gold and White) when Priscilla decided to open the house to the public?

By maintaining this look, which was the way Linda Thompson had designed in 1974, do you think it stays more authentic as a home to Elvis - the way it appeared at the time of his death?

Do you think that Priscilla's time-capsule presentation of Graceland should have just been kept to the annex room with accompanying photographs of what Graceland looked like as her marital home?

Do you think the way Graceland's interior is currently displayed it takes on the look and feel of a museum as opposed to a home that somebody had once lived in?

It would be good to read your opinions guys.

Many thanks,

NEA.

joanne
07-17-2005, 03:33 PM
It didn`t feel like a museum to me when I went it still felt very much like a home and thats wonderful but I do feel that Graceland should have been kept to how it was when Elvis died.
There were some photographs taken by Jeanne Lemay Dumas (Linda Thompsons best friend) and although they are very small you can see that the living room looked completely different to how it does today it had different furniture and it had a red colour scheme.
http://members.cox.net/jeannedumas/jeanneexclusivephotos.html

NEA
07-17-2005, 03:55 PM
My thoughts and sentiments exactly, Joanne....many thanks for the link to Jeanne Lemay Dumas' piece of the Worldwide Web....and her piece of money-making...they are great photos aren't they?

I must say I am very tempted to purchase a couple...do you think Elvis knew she was taking snaps of his interiors too?

Cheers,

NEA.

Lonniebealestreet
07-18-2005, 04:35 AM
I would assume she took most of those photos while Elvis was out on tour.

I've always thought the downstairs rooms should have been left as they were unless it is true that Elvis actually didn't like that redecoration. I just heard or read somewhere recently that Linda did that while Elvis was out and even had a magazine photographer come out and take some photos of her in the newly redecorated home. The story went that Elvis was very displeased both with the redecoration and with the fact that she allowed the photographer into his home, and that's why Linda was on the outs for a while thereafter.

The place probably feels more like a museum than it should, and certainly the way that the estate has chosen to present certain things adds to that, but overall to me it still feels like the house very much has Elvis' 'presence' in it.

My dad, who isn't really an Elvis fan, commented on that after he went through the house when we were there in December of '99. (That was my only trip there during the Christmas season, but hopefully that won't be the case too much longer). He added that he had a strong sense of melancholy throughout, going through this great man's home who should have still been living there. I thought it was cool that he got that out of it.

carolynlm
07-18-2005, 06:42 AM
I think that when Priscilla opened Graceland to the public, she probably didn't think that it would last as long as it has. Maybe she thought that when it was decorated the way she has it now, that Elvis was at his most happiest there. I don't know what kind of reaction it would have had on the fans if it was shown with the red decor in the living room.....She probably didn't want to set him up for any more ridicule than his image had already received after his death.
I like Graceland the way it is now, I liked walking through it at my leisure, and I felt as though I was made feel very welcome. The same can't be said for the Audobon Drive house.....I really didn't feel comfortable there at all. It just had a completely different feel about it. My next visit to Memphis will not include a trip to that house again.......By the same token, the tiny little house in Tupelo had a good feel about it.

NEA
07-18-2005, 07:49 PM
What was Linda thinking about whilst the big man was out - deciding to redecorate in colours he didn't like, and then getting one of her photographer buddies to come round and snap a few of her?! - PLUS getting her pal, Jeanne to come round and snap a few of the new decor and now 30 years on she's making money with the pics?!...sounds like a Donna Early stunt doesn't it?(lol)...these folk really make me laugh!

Don't get me wrong, I kinda like Linda but this was a wee bit too assertive of her if you ask me...I suppose EP got used to the new look as that was the way it was left when that tragic day came along - surely he mustn't have hated it that much then??

07-20-2005, 01:36 PM
I basically think that, it is Elvis' house. Therefore, it should have been left the way he left it. Not for Cilla to come in and change. I cant see there being any excuse for altering his house, especially the decor.:king:

Graceland1979
07-20-2005, 01:52 PM
I think cilla just wanted to make graceland a home so people would feel what it would be like to live there when Elvis was at the top of his game and when she lived there she made graceland great it will be preserved and thats great i been to graceland 47 times in my life and it seems to change very little still the greatest :king:

Albert
07-20-2005, 06:17 PM
The fact that Priscilla turned Graceland back into the way it was when she lived in there, clearly shows it's all about the "Big Priscilla Show".

I don't care if Elvis liked or didn't like the redecoration done by Linda. If that was the way Graceland looked during Elvis' final days, then it should have kept that way. The defence of Priscilla to make it look more tastefull before the opening is just a piece of cr*p, just look at all the tasteless Elvis products that have been released thanks to EPE's licensing....

Priscilla is just a female Colonel Parker in my book.

NEA
07-20-2005, 06:35 PM
I certainly agree with the fact that Graceland's interior decor should have stayed the way it was for the last 3 years of Elvis' life. There might have been a little friction between Elvis & Linda over the controversy of it in 1974, but he must have grown to at least appreciate it?

I feel this way it would have been more true to his Legend...

I feel there should only be accompanying photographs of the time when Priscilla 'reigned' in the house to show the difference in artefacts and decor.

Cheers,

NEA.

carolynlm
07-21-2005, 12:50 AM
I still think Priscilla did the right thing in taking the decor back a few steps. OK, it was Elvis' house, and yes, Priscilla hadn't lived there for a long time, but I still think she was trying to protect Elvis. It was only the living room Priscilla took back to that time, I mean, have a look at the pool room, now that was extravagant, and the Jungle Room.......if she really wanted to, she could have taken the carpet off the walls.......As far as the not so tasteful items on sale now at the Graceland shops, these items obviously sell, for whatever reason, I haven't a clue, but if the sale of these items keep Graceland open, then I say go for it. If you don't want to buy them then dont, it's that simple. Some of the things are pretty bad, but could you imagine what else would be up for sale if EPE didn't have the control they have? Why can't people just be neutral in their thoughts about what Priscilla has done or hasn't done? She had Graceland re-opened, and for that I will be grateful to her.....I don't know her, so I can't have an opinion about her.......I just think that she is ****ed if she does and ****ed if she doesn't.....

NEA
07-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Hi Carolyn,

I do respect your opinion totally about Graceland's interiors, but I still wish it would have been left the way Elvis left it.

Many Thanks,

NEA.

carolynlm
07-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Thanks, NEA, and that's all it is, my opinion......that's what this forum is all about........:cool:

orwell1976
11-17-2005, 08:57 AM
To me Graceland is definitely a museum. Elvis never lived that way, and I don't think he would have liked what is seen now. I guess Priscilla thought Elvis hadn't a very good taste (wich is true, when you look at the 1977 furniture) and decided to present the house like Elvis should have lived, if he had a better taste. It's funny, that the major public accepted the presentation of the house and no one seems to ask, why the redecoration was done.

(n)

11-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Well thats because they dont tell anyone that they fiddled with the house!

Wendy56
11-17-2005, 06:58 PM
I only know that if I go to Graceland someday, I would love to see the original "look" of that marvelous place. Just want to feel the presence of Elvis, his style and imagine how would have been stay there, back then when the "king" was living inside Graceland...

Jumpsuit Junkie
11-17-2005, 08:15 PM
It would have been nice to leave the decor as it was, but then again I'd just be happy to see Graceland......

JJ

Tommy
11-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Here's the photo with Elvis at Graceland in the living room I like this one. I think Graceland is fine the way it is. I feel his presence there all around everywhere when I was there.

Tommy :)

THENATUREBOY
11-18-2005, 01:00 AM
Graceland has definitely turned into a museum. Hundreds of thousands of strangers walk this place every year and look at artifacts. That would classify it as a museum in my book. But when I went to Graceland it was everything I imagined it to be. You can without a doubt feel Elvis' spirit there with you. It's a very funny thing. Here I was, touring this place with all these people, and I didnt feel as if Elvis was gone, just felt like he had just stepped out for a minute. Its a very unique place.

orwell1976
11-18-2005, 07:23 AM
I think it would be a great marketing gem to re-decorate Graceland like it was in 1977, to re-build Elvis' bedroom somewhere else (I've read that the stair construction is to weak to hold that much visitors) and let the people see how the real Elvis lived. And by the way, if they would re-edit the 1977 cbs special (with "Trying To Get To You", "It's Now Or Never", etc.) they could clearly proof that the real Elvis wasn't as bad as some books/magazines want you to believe. I think it would be a real publicity boost, if they would say: Look, that's the real king, he had problems, but that's how the man was and that's what he's done. Most people would be surpirsed!

11-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Maybe they should re-release Goldmans books with the CBS special as a 2 for 1 offer! After all the good TTWWISE, 68' and Aloha Deluxe Editions have done it could really knock the publics opinion of him back to mid 80's levels.