PDA

View Full Version : A Hundred Years From Now

Sonny
07-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Short introduction: Along with Rhythm & Country (Essential Elvis Vol.5), this volume in the series definately was one of the better ones. The great material on this cd focuses on Elvis' recording sessions between June 1970 and June 1971. Here we get a lot of the original recordings, so that means: almost no overdubs or repairs and some longer - unedited - versions.
Great album!

Tracklist:

01. I Didn't Make It On Playing Guitar (jam)
02. I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water (undubbed/unedited master)
03. Little Cabin On The Hill (take 1)
04. A Hundred Years From Now (take 2)
05. I've Lost You (take 6)
06. Got My Mojo Working / Keep Your Hands (undubbed/unedited master)
07. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (take 2)
08. It Ain't No Big Thing (But It's Growing) (take 2)
09. Cindy Cindy (take 1)
10. Faded Love (country version)
11. The Fool (take 1)
12. Rags To Riches (take 3)
13. Just Pretend (take 2)
14. If I Were You (take 5)
15. Faded Love (take 3)
16. Where Did They Go Lord (take 1)
17. It's Only Love (take 9)
18. Until It's Time For You To Go (take 10, alternate master)
19. Patch It Up (take 9)
20. Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (undubbed/unedited master)
21. Bridge Over Troubled Water (take 5)
22. The Lord's Prayer (informal performance)

Recorded: June 1970, May, June 1971
CD released: 1996
Essential: yes

Score:
Contents: 9
Sound: 8+
Artwork: 7

More information:

iamhekev
02-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Looking forward to more songs from the above sessions,coming out on FTD.(y)

nashville cat
04-20-2007, 06:38 PM
This is one of my favorite Elvis releases. Some incredible material and performances from a very special time in Elvis' career. The importance of Nashville's studio B in The King's career cannot really be overstated, and I think does an even better job demonstrating that than the Elvis In Nashville release, for example.

A lot is said about the 1969 sessions at American in Memphis, and rightfully so. They were incredible sessions and some classic recordings came from that period. I have always preferred the June 1970 Nashville sessions, because to me, Elvis was more in control of the sessions, and he had the opportunity to go back to his roots. A little country & western, blues, ballads, even bluegrass!

Special mention must be made of the band. In the 60's, Elvis had used the incomparable Nashville A-team on his recordings. They included legendary players like Floyd Cramer, Boots Randolph, Bob Moore etc. He augmented these guys with his own players, such as Scotty Moore and DJ Fontana. In 1970, there was a new bred of studio players, like David Briggs, Norbert Putnam, Charlie MCoy and others, who were augmented with Elvis' guitarist - James Burton. This was a band who could get as funky as Elvis wanted them too. The amazing Imperials provided background on the 1971 material.

Too many highlights to mention. The June sessions are the main attraction, but some good tracks came out of the 1971 sessions. Listen to the way the Imperials blend with Elvis on "Until It's Time For You To Go". Beautiful. Check this CD out and get a window into a very exciting time for music.

laura
07-12-2007, 07:39 PM
elvis meets STAX. Promising, but not full blossom of elvis musical capacities ( unlike american sound studios 69 sessions ). But still one of the most entertaining elvis recording from the 70s. very enjoyable.

poormansgold76
07-22-2007, 03:12 AM
This one Is best Essential releases by BMG

dicke.katze
05-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Without a doubt this is probably the best volume of the ESSENTIAL series and a good compilation for its own, too. The tapes really caught some great pieces of music during those sessions.

When it was released it was censored a bit and some "dirty talk" from Elvis was edited. For those who want to hear the "undoctored" versions as well as some other cuts should try to get a copy of "There's A Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On". Find some informations about here: http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?ltr=T&t=1595
I really recomment this import because of its content and soundquality.

Thomas

easyrider
01-08-2009, 12:56 AM
essential cd!!!!!

thunderball1963
01-15-2010, 06:39 PM
this album is one of the best cd releases

you need also the bootleg There's A Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On

Both together shows elvis at his best (y)