PDA

View Full Version : Justification for Elvis' Lifestyle?

cutiepie
06-27-2005, 12:32 AM
Hello! I've been reading one Elvis book after another! It is amazing how each book offers up a different point of view. It is quite a fun and immersive experience to read about a performance or recording session, and then listen to that song. Doing this gives the song a lot more depth and nuance.

I read "Elvis and Me" where Priscilla often complained about Elvis' lifestyle. In my opinion, I think she could have clued into what life would be like, as Elvis' wife, but I digress. Anyway, I ran across the following passage, that may justify/vindicate/condone (??? I can't think of the right word) why Elvis could get whatever he wanted, despite criticism, etc.

It is a quote from Alexander VI's speeech to Lucrezia Borgia, from Arthur de Gobineau's Scenes historiques de la Renaissance (1877), as quoted in The Borgias by Ivan Cloulas (1989) by way of Gregory Maguire's novel, "Mirror Mirror" (yes, I do have eclectic tastes!)

Here it is--it might be a stretch, but it reminds me of the way Elvis lived--with "the guys" and everything else...let me know what you think!

"...You must know that for those destined to dominate others, the ordinary rules of life are turned upside down and duty acquires an entirely new meaning. Good and evil are carried off to a higher different plane...

Remember this. Walk straight ahead. Do only what you like, as long as it is of some use to you. Leave hesitation and scruples to small minds, to plebeians and subordinates. One consideration alone is worthy of you--the elevation of the House of Borgia, the elevation of youself."

Cryogenic
06-27-2005, 05:17 PM
This is a very complex issue. THE most complex issue - we're talking about a person's entire life here! However, I feel that the aforementioned quote has a lot of truth in it. For what it's worth, I think most of Elvis' attitudes and behaviours stem from his upbringing. His fame certainly brought its own problems, but to me at least, I feel they were all filtered through the psychology of the person that existed before it hit; Elvis was anything but a blank slate before he recorded "That's Alright"...

Jumpsuit Junkie
07-02-2005, 12:25 PM
It's so hard to sum up a complex person in a couple of sentences as Croyogenic has pointed out, it's also not a static thing its constantly shifting and changing due to the varied situations and input created over decades.

There are some fundamental ingredients that will forever have a major factor on a persons psychological frame of mind: -

Parental Influences - Mother and Father
Socioeconomic Factors - Poor, living Conditions In The Early Years
Geographical location - Deep South Community
Outside Stimuli - Fame, Fortune & Fans

These will make up the ground rules with the rest being filled in by personality traits and current events unfolding.

To be able to deal with the fame alone and remain reasonably sane is a mammoth task in its self.

Matt