PDA

View Full Version : Films/Documentaries on DVD

NEA
06-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi Guys,

What other historic Elvis Films/Documentaries would we all like to see released on glorious DVD, apart from the remainder of his scripted movies and the elusive "Elvis On Tour"?

Here's a few that spring to mind immediately:

THE LOST PERFORMANCES
JAILHOUSE ROCK - COLOURISED VERSION
THIS IS ELVIS
ELVIS THE MOVIE
GEORGE KLEIN'S ELVIS MEMORIES
1987 BBC DOCUMENTARY - PRESLEY
1980 DOCUMENTARY WITH DAVID FROST - HE TOUCHED THEIR LIVES

And, how about a very special edition DVD featuring both versions of ELVIS - THAT'S THE WAY IT IS plus a possible complete concert or two plus more footage of Elvis wearing the shiny blue suit and eating lunch during rehearsals - only this time slowed down somewhat!

What's your opinions guys?

NEA.

mn-designs
06-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Hi Guys,

What other historic Elvis Films/Documentaries would we all like to see released on glorious DVD, apart from the remainder of his scripted movies and the elusive "Elvis On Tour"?

And, how about a very special edition DVD featuring both versions of ELVIS - THAT'S THE WAY IT IS plus a possible complete concert or two plus more footage of Elvis wearing the shiny blue suit and eating lunch during rehearsals - only this time slowed down somewhat!

What's your opinions guys?

NEA.

Nea, both versions of TTWII? and 2 shows? TTWII SE is so much better than the original release from 1970, if they only had left the right right songs in the movie. i don't want to see a complete concert from 1970 on dvd (that's for right now), i rather see something from on tour, and maybe if we have some luck, a revamped elvis in concert (1977), if they only took the time to re-create this special, without those siilly fan reactions/talk, and put in the songs that are really good, cause back than they only used the biggest hits...even than the wanted us to believe that elvis didn't recorded more than hound dog, jailhouse rock, don't be cruel ect.
or even better: why not make a good concert dvd, with only the best parts of all these dates and places? something like the ultimate live collection, with the best sound and picture!

rick
06-21-2005, 11:58 AM
I'd vote for a documentary-style Elvis In Concert, inserting all the best performances with some clever editing, interviewing relevant people and highlighting what Elvis still possessed in '77 - a great voice and unbeatable charisma.
There are poor performances, mainly at Omaha, but enough good stuff for a proper DVD.
rick

mn-designs
06-21-2005, 12:31 PM
We are asking that for many years now..it's funny this special was broadcasted around the world, even here in Holland the avro was one the first stations in the world who broadcasted this special. And after a few years when elvis died the estate wants nothing to do with this special, the only thing they gonna release is the aloha special (we are now at the 4th release....number 5 coming at the end of this year..the 1 disc edition), i think when to totally remake this special in the best audio and picture, we have one hell of a dvd release. The people these days are aware of the diffecult times Elvis had at this point of his career. I think when all material is running out, they will release this special. If it only was for the money they can make on this release, most fans will buy it, cause it's simple a piece of history!!!! Even Elvis made mistakes, altough if you have to believe thenew by the presleys dvd, he did not...but hey he was her father or her husband. I will say the same thing if it was my father, so i can't blame them on that one.
I truly hope to see this dvd before i'm 65..and i'm now 32..:-)

Leroy
06-21-2005, 03:33 PM
The fact that EPE will not release "Elvis in Concert" has nothing to do with "protecting the image of Elvis" as they call it. It's pure marketing. The demand for "EIC" is so massive and they know it. Why else do they realease bits of pieces in documentaries? And with that they're earning more money. It's the old Colonel Parker method all the way. Just give them enough to leave them wanting for more but never as much to ease the hunger.

My list is this:

"Elvis - That's The Way It Is" (a new release with both the original and the special edition plus all additional material as the Houston Press conferences, the Jaycees Speech)

"Elvis On Tour" ( a special edition with all material available including all press conferences he gave during 1972; The New York Press conference and both Aloha announces)

"Elvis Pre-Aloha" (The Japanese registration of the concert on November 17, 1972 H.I.C, Hawaii)

"Elvis in Concert" (Special edition of his concerts on the 19th and 21st, 1977 in full length with all the stops and introductions. As a bonus the CBS Special)

I'm not really waiting for colourized versions of Elvis' black & white movies. They were meant to be black & white. It give them a touch noir.

SweetInspiration
06-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Wait! Is there seriouly two versions of TTWII??? :blink: I didnt know that. Which one is best? I was about to order one off amazon and now Im confused!!!!!!! LOL! It doesnt take alot!!! :D

Leroy
06-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Yes there are two versions; the original film version that came out in 1971 and was put on video casette by MGM and the Special Edition that came out on DVD a few years ago. On the new version a lot of important material from the original version is missed. So you need both to get a more complete view. It's not a matter of which version is the best. That would be a decision on personal level, matter of taste. It's a pitty that with the release of the Special Edition they'd withdraw the original.

Cryogenic
06-22-2005, 03:18 PM
It's **** annoying that songs like Sweet Caroline, I Just Can't Help Believin' and Bridge Over Troubled Water were left out of the SE! And couldn't they have found a better performance of Can't Help Falling In Love? Elvis Presley should not go out with a whimper - but with a bang!