PDA

View Full Version : The Jerry Lee Lewis incident-Fall 1976

ph10579
06-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Can anyone give some information, facts and details of what took place that one fall evening of 1976 between Elvis and the Killer. I heard that(through a story) that Jerry Lee Lewis was drunk off his a#$ and drove up to the Graceland gate and demanded to see Elvis. I also heard that Jerry Lee pulled out a pistol at that same time. I think Elvis was in his room and saw everything on his security cameras. Can somebody tell me what happened that day. Thanks

NEA
06-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Hi there,

I think this incident was covered by Elvis' First Cousin, Harold Lloyd in his book, 'The Graceland Gates' and as far as I can remember I don't think Elvis was at home - but don't quote me on that. There is every possibility that the guards at the gate had told Jerry Lee that Elvis wasn't home.

I don't know what Elvis' reaction was when he was told about it - or if he was told about it, but I think one or a couple of the guards managed to talk to Jerry Lee nicely about putting the gun away. I think they informed the police soon after who, in turn, went to have a chat with him regarding his outburst. Apparently, I think it was during a drinking binge that Jerry Lee was obsessed with Elvis' Stardom and the old green-eyed monster reared its ugly head.

That's really all I can remember - it isn't much factual I know, but if somebody else starts to read this perhaps they can shed some more light on the actual facts.

Cheers,

NEA.

Captain Elwood David
06-05-2005, 12:28 AM
Jerry Lee has had a longstanding "Love-Hate" relationship with EP. Envious, jealousy, & resentment ...... towards Elvis ........ simply because EP achieved the Fame that he never did.

Fall of '76, Jerry Lee was drunk (as usual). He had recently celebrated his 41st birthday (same age as EP) (EP himself also, ironically, had a crash of different sorts shortly after passing his mid-life mark the year prior, in Jan. of '75). On that occasion (Fall of '76), Jerry Lee accidently shot his bass player with a .357 magnum (which is a HUGE & immensely powerful handgun for those that are not aware). By sheer miracle, the guy survived.

Jerry Lee viewed EP as a "Fu*k Up" and later said he went to Graceland to either "Save" Elvis or "shoot" him ...... he didn't know which (ie: drunken stupor). Probably both.

The incident has taken on bits of MYTH over the years (ie: juiced up for effect, etc.). By some counts EP was home, by others he wasn't. I tend to think the latter was the case (had EP been home, there would have been much more to the story ..... ;) ).

At any rate, ...... Harold Lloyd (Gate Guard) was the one who dealt with the situation ............ called Memphis PD, & had Jerry Lee arrested for publically brandishing a firearm (JL was waving around a .38 that day at the gates).

(Various EP books recount the incident ......... as mentioned, Harold Lloyd's book & also David Stanley's ...... off the top of my head. There are also mugshots available of Jerry Lee from his arrest, as well as the original police report describing the entire incident ....... out there for the "Googley" minded Sherlock Holmes individuals that absolutely must know more).

Hope this helps a bit, .......... & enjoy your searches.

- Capt. "EL."

NEA
06-05-2005, 01:21 AM
Hi Captain,

Thanx very much for the back-up info on this subject.

I do have a couple of questions, however - I know that JL had been experiencing a lot of personal family problems e.g. the death of one (or two) of his children under tragic circumstances, so this could have possibly resulted in the excessive booze binges which added to his unhealthy state of mind. There is every possibility he was gunning for almost anybody at that time!

But, did Jerry Lee always display this kind of animosity toward Elvis or had he recently met Elvis or seen one of his shows and thought something was actually going wrong with Elvis too - healthwise?

Do you know if JL & EP had met after the '56 Million Dollar Quartet Session at Sun Studios?

Cheers Captain,

NEA.

Captain Elwood David
06-05-2005, 02:32 AM
I know that JL had been experiencing a lot of personal family problems e.g. the death of one (or two) of his children under tragic circumstances, so this could have possibly resulted in the excessive booze binges which added to his unhealthy state of mind. There is every possibility he was gunning for almost anybody at that time!
Have also heard that Jerry Lee was "invited" out to Graceland to see Elvis. He might have been at some point, but the booze made him go about it the wrong way (to say the least).

(EP, btw, ...... despised heavy drinkers due to his own experiences with them growing up / The Presley Family. Ironically, Charlie Hodge also drank heavily at times - which might explain why EP slapped him on one infamous occasion).

..... did Jerry Lee always display this kind of animosity toward Elvis or had he recently met Elvis or seen one of his shows and thought something was actually going wrong with Elvis too - healthwise?
I believe it all came after JL's fall from grace. (EP might have experienced a similar fate had he not ultimately done right by Priscilla & married her .... ;) ).

Do you know if JL & EP had met after the '56 Million Dollar Quartet Session at Sun Studios?
By all accounts, EP would pop into SUN from time to time and was often all over Memphis - which was the stomping grounds for both him & JL. Can't relay any specific anecdotes, but it stands to reason that they crossed each others paths with time (especially in the early years).

- Capt. "EL."

Captain Elwood David
06-05-2005, 01:14 PM
From what I know they both started out equally in the 50’s and both very talented and both very successful.
EP is said to have stated that he wished he could play the piano like Jerry Lee.

As he did with a great number of other musicians / singers ........ EP admired Jerry Lee's musical talent.

Jerry tells the people in Canada that Elvis is coming back to live performing and how much he likes Elvis and what a great person Elvis is.
"Love" & "Hate" are two sides of the same coin. I have no doubt that - between the two - Jerry Lee looked up to EP more than the other way around (this was also true of The Beatles ;) ).

There also is footage of Jerry in 80’s polishing up his 2 Harley bikes, and saying that one of the bikes belongs to him and they other to his good friend Elvis.
IMO, Jerry Lee (like many others), inflates his role / friendship in EP's life.

It kind of reminds me of Wayne Newton - now, ........ going around saying that he has a personal note that was given to him by EP himself ...... :lol:

Why ... ??

By doing so, it elevates them as well (at least in their eyes).

- Capt. "EL."

Liverbobs
06-06-2005, 03:25 PM
I can just imagine Elvis saying to Jerry Lee had he been home when he saw the Magnum "That all you got son?" before pulling out a scud missile launcher and blowing JL into oblivion!!!:D:D:D

EnigmaticSun
06-06-2005, 08:44 PM
(y)If I was able to meet the guy they call 'The Killer', I would speak in a Priscilla-ish kind of way and proclaim: "Oh Jerry Lee, why did you have to be so wonderful?"

Ok, maybe the life of Jerry Lee wasn't easy. The Southern States in the 1930's were pretty rough. Let's not judge Jerry Lee for his silly twists upon some childish dares. Let the christian principle prevail. :notworthy

After all, only the lonely know the heartaches he's been through and other friends like Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison and Elvis are in the after life now. They are missed, but I know that we'll meet again.

I would love to perform with Jerry Lee.. We could achieve amazing things together, for the boy is no fool, he plays the piano really well. :king:

Menwithbrokenhearts
02-28-2006, 05:57 AM
I definately tend to lean toward the first account than the second. Jerry Lee did have a reputation for such things after all. Interesting story indeed, I was living in Memphis at the time and remember this being on the news but could not remember the details. Thanks Unchained!