PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Throw Away : 7-15-75

U.S. Male
02-14-2005, 12:53 AM
I was reading a story on Scotty Moore's web page of where on July 15, 1975, in Springfield, MA, where Elvis threw his Gibson Ebony J200 model guiatr (w/ kenpo patch) in to the crowd after one of the guitar's strings broke. A man in the audience named Lawrence Long caught it and kept it until they auctioned it away in 2002 for $55,000.00

Here's a photo of Elvis tossing the guitar in the crowd.

http://www.tcb-files.com/temp/5420ff68cbebf8.JPG

curtis simpkins
02-14-2005, 12:58 AM
Elvis threw his Gibson Ebony J200 model guitar.
I guess he did want it no more.
thanks for that very nice info big boss. :D

Captain Elwood David
02-14-2005, 02:27 AM
BBM -

Thanks for this post ............

It also gives me the opportunity to further comment:

EP gave away both of his Black Gibson "Kenpo" (Patch) Guitars (this one, and another - "Dove" from Aloha / On Tour) in the mid-70's.

"Multiple Originals" ;) , & erroneous tall-tales, notwithstanding (JMO) .............. both are in private hands.

The stuff of dreams, for sure, for hardcore fans.

- Capt. "EL."

Captain Elwood David
02-14-2005, 02:31 AM
As per a link previously posted on another thread discussing this topic:

http://scottymoore.net/epguitars.html

Enjoy!

I surely did.

- Capt. "EL."

P.S. Annie
02-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the info BBMan, and GREAT picture (y)

Jungleroom76
02-16-2005, 10:39 PM
GREAT PHOTO BIG BOSS MAN!!! :cool:

Thanks for sharing the story and photo with us!!! Always great to learn something new about our main man!!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

Lonniebealestreet
02-17-2005, 12:09 AM
Big Boss, do you know that photo to be legit? I have several issues with it. Not accusing you of anything (though it wouldn't be a big deal to me if you were pulling our collective leg ;) with plans to eventually clue us in), but I'm just curious about it.

I could be way off here, but a few elements don't jive with me.

Captain Elwood David
02-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Guitar, photo(s), & incredible story - all legit.

- Capt. "EL."

U.S. Male
02-17-2005, 01:38 AM
Bobby, Like I said in the opening message, I saw the story and the photo on Scotty Moore's web site. All I did was basically summarize what was mentioned there, plus display the same photo that they have on display there as well.

Just to show my appreciation for your concern over this topic, I will be flying both you and a guest 1st class to the Bahamas for an all expenses paid 3 week vacation at my private villa. I will also be providing you with 4 unreleased Elvis concerts (recorded by soundboard in stereo) of the following shows: Atlanta 12-30-76, Pittsburgh 12-31-76, Lake Tahoe 1971, Indianapolis 1977. Now I am pulling your leg :lmfao: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :P

Lonniebealestreet
02-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Fair enough, Steve! :D

Leroy
02-19-2005, 03:41 PM
The site of Scotty Moore provides a lot of background information about some of Elvis' guitars. Still I wonder what happened to some of the guitars that featured in some movies like the Gibson J-45 he used in "Blue Hawaii", "Viva Las Vegas" and "Girl Happy". I also wonder about the acoustic jazz guitar (with f holes) he got as a replacement in "Roustabout". Does anybody know more about that?

MISSCLAWDY
02-19-2005, 05:53 PM
I Love The Pics!!!!thanks

Captain Elwood David
02-20-2005, 05:14 AM
I think documenting all of EP's Movie-Used guitars is a doable task (for hardcore movie / EP buffs out there), ...................... but authoritatively ID'ing where they all wound up / their true fate .............. is more than likely an impossible task this late in the game.

Way too many multiple originals would hoplessely complicate the picture of any serious attempt to substantively inventory / locate / positively ID all of EP's movie years related guitars.

Even the stories / fate of some of the higher profile EP performance guitars (as discussed on the excellent Scotty Moore site) ............... have been muddled at one time or another with tall-tales from other collectors / primary sources / ridiculous provenance stories associated with "multiple originals" ......................... (ie; faked).

That said, ........ there are obviously a ton of genuine EP related guitars out there ........... with stories to tell, but probably destined to be forever remain untold or unfound. It is also a potential bonanza area for fraudsters to dupe both collectors & historians alike.

- Capt. "EL."

Leroy
02-20-2005, 08:32 AM
I'm afraid you do have a point here, Captain. But hard-headed as I am I began a search anyway. I skipped the idea to determine the whereabouts. But I want to search for the brand of some of the guitars. So far I'm reasonable succesful. Only two- or three models I'm still looking for. I will keep those who are interested posted.

Captain Elwood David
02-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Best of luck to you, Leroy, in your quest; it is definitely something that should be documented (much like the great work done on the Scotty site).

Count me in as one of those among the interested.

- Capt. "EL."

Leroy
02-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Okay Captain, here are some of the today's discoveries. Some of them still have question marks but I hope on feedback from others.

As far as I can see the guitar used in parts of "G.I. Blues", "Blue Hawaii", "It happened at the world's fair", "Viva Las Vegas" and "Girl Happy" seems to be a Gibson J-45 late fifties, early sixties.

The guitar used in "Girls! Girls! Girls!" is a Harmony but I'm not able to determine the type and year of build.

The guitar he used in "Roustabout" (the one he got as a replacement) is a 1957 Vintage Harmony Monterey Archtop, probably one of his own.

In "Spinout" he used a 12 string electric guitar. That's a 1964 Burns of Londen green sunburst. This is a guitar made famous by Hank B. Marvin of The Shadows.
In the same movie he also played an acoustic/electric 12 string guitar with an "H" on the pickguard but I have a lot of problems to find out the brand of that one. It looked a lot like the Gibson J-160E with a naturel body but it is definatly not a Gibson.

In "Girl Happy" he also played a 1963 Fender Telecaster Naturel.

Another Fender, a 1963 Sunburst Stratocaster was used in "Viva Las Vegas"

A Gibson SG Standard Cherry was used in "Easy Come, Easy Go".

A Gibson EDS 1275 Doubleneck Custom was used on promo pictures of "Spinout".

These are the results of today's search session. Not bad for a day's work.... :clap: