PDA

View Full Version : Most popular album in his lifetime ?

dennyelvis
01-19-2005, 02:57 PM
I know this is tricky ... :hmm: but id love to know your opinions on what you think are the most + least popular albums released in his lifetime.
To start us off my most popular would probably be the "Today" album or "Moody Blue" ..... :cool:
and least , well i think "Love Letters" is rather poor and uninspired or perhaps the original "On Stage" ..... i always felt it was too **** short !
now bring on yours.

elvis1970nl
01-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Not tricky at all.

My favorite always has been "Today" :cool:
The worst : "Elvis sings for children" (n)

geordie
01-19-2005, 04:23 PM
my fav would be the double album from vegas to memphis from memphis to vegas,best of both worlds, my least fav. would have to be harem holiday, what can i say DROSS. :blink: :lmfao:

Elvisgirl
01-19-2005, 05:52 PM
there's no worst or least favorite album for me. i love them all

NightRider
01-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Favourite...no doubts there...From Elvis In Memphis....very closely followed by Thats The Way It Is.....least favourite :blink: - well i too like them all...so there isn't one that springs to mind :P

boogie
01-19-2005, 06:47 PM
like more than one you know :P but if i have to choose??? to me , you may give "TTWII" , on second "aloha"
Maybe tomorrow it will be another one :)

nashville cat
01-19-2005, 06:50 PM
My most popular would be That's The Way It Is - that album just has such a magic quality to me. Every song is a winner.

My least popular would be Elvis Sings Burning Love and Hits From His Movies - I just hated that "Burning Love" and "It's A Matter of Time" were wasted on that album of mediocre movie songs!

charlie rodgers
01-19-2005, 07:40 PM
their are so many good albums to choice from but elvis country is absolutely one off my favorites but then again from elvis in memphis and elvis is back are really milestones in the elvis catalog as for live albums released in elvis live time i would pick elvis as recorded at madison s......g.. soundwise not the best but i just love the flow off that show with on stage (the original offcause)
coming as a strong second
the worst hmmm.i would go for burning love and other movie hits (was it a camden or a pickwick release?i have to check my lp?s)not for the songs on the record but for the concept man what a great album their could have compiled with burning love being the big hit it was instead of filling the album with movie song their should have made a full fledged album instead but it was on the drawing board with standing room only but got abandoned for msg live album but ernest have made a later(his) version of the abandoned standing room only (burning love) witch i think is a good album (when do we get more of those feb 27 vegas recordings)
i think elvis should have been a little infackt a hole lot more concerned how he?s material was released .instead off elvis now,elvis(aka the fool)love letters
their should have been giving much more care in presenting some good albums instead off relasing them in that breakneck speed . what was their thinking nobody releases album at that speed their still dont(except for ftd and im glad that their do just keep em coming) rca was horrible at putting elvis albums together with parker chosing a live shot to plaster on the front (puffing at his cigar whaiting to get back to the crab table so he could get more in debth and elvis could play some more off those crueling vegas and road shows to pay for it he did a fantastick job in the fifties and early sixties he wrote the book off how to be a rock&roll manager but in the late sixties and in the seventys he had lost it in my opinion to old fashined and out off touch with time but thats a nother story aint it )talk about milking the goose to the max the greatest entertainer the world have ever seen
their are good material on all the albums just a little more care and their could have compiled some great seventys elvis album (not that their aint any ,today, that the way it is,to name 2) but that was not to be and live goes on and any how duke i still love all those albums the pickwick and camden albums to. but suma sumarum back to the original question elvis country i think is a really great album as a hole i love the way "i was born about 10.000 years ago" sequences betwen the songs okay i stop my ramblings for now
all the best
the original roustabout

Jungleroom76
01-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Interesting question DennyElvis!! :hmm:

My favorite album, hands down, has to be ELVIS - TODAY!!! :cool:

As for a worst album, I just can't bring myself to ever call ANY of Elvis' albums the "worst" album....some were definitely better than others, and there are some I listen to much more often than others! Probably my LEAST FAVORITE (that sounds so much better than "worst", in my opinion) album also has to be BURNING LOVE AND HITS FROM HIS MOVIES VOL. 2!! Like Nashville Cat said in his post, I just can't believe that the biggest hit of Elvis' career in the 1970's was relegated to a budget album!! The same argument can also definitely be made for the SEPARATE WAYS album....again, 2 of Elvis' greatest 70's ballads (SEPARATE WAYS and ALWAYS ON MY MIND) being relegated to a budget album has to be one of the greatest injustices in Elvis' career!! (n)

TCB!
Mike

JerryNodak
01-20-2005, 06:39 AM
I have all of the officially released albums. I know the one I've played the most through the years is Blue Hawaii. The least would be Loving You.

Mr. Songman
01-20-2005, 06:55 AM
I'll narrow my choices down to include only the 1970's albums.

Favorite: Promised Land
Least Favorite: Love Letters

richardo316
01-21-2005, 06:40 AM
i personally don't have a favorite or least favorite album. they were and are all great.

curtis simpkins
01-21-2005, 07:20 AM
hummm.

this is a hard one for me, because i love almost every album that Elvis did.
if i had to pick.

my favorite albums "Moody Blue"-Gold records vol-3

my wost has to be "Clambake" soundtrack.

elvis1970nl
01-21-2005, 07:58 AM
I wonder why most of you dislike the "Love Letters" album??? :supriced:
It is in my personal album top 10. Or is that my bad taste :hmm:
I think some very good songs on there!!!! There are albums much worse than this one.

JerryNodak
01-21-2005, 10:39 AM
I, too, enjoy this album. Though it's probably not in my top ten. Elvis the "balladeer" is my favorite Elvis. So this album really fills the bill.

Albert
01-21-2005, 10:56 AM
I will only count original albums for this post (not 'greatest hits' or other compilations)

Favourite (in no particular order):
* That's The Way It Is
* Something For Everybody
* Live On Stage In Memphis

Least favourite albums
* Elvis
* Elvis Presley
* Love Letters

I really don't like those first albums (because of the sound and the musicstyle), and the Love Letters album was just a mix of (many) songs that shouldn't have been released.

boogie
01-23-2005, 09:38 AM
it's strange but i never liked his movies, so for me there were not so many good soundtracks....for several years now i take the time to really understand this and to listen to those records, but it never give me the feeling what his later albums do.
So when i have to decide about the "bad" albums, (it isn't really bad), i would go for the soundtracks like "harum scarum" or "clambake"

TCE
01-28-2005, 07:59 PM
It's hard to choose, but I would say the best is : good times (I love the song talk about the good times) and I don't think he really made a but album. Only maybe a bit poorer than the others. But he, it's hard to make a such as good album or even better album, when you already made beauties.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)

Elvisgirl
01-29-2005, 05:46 AM
i personally don't have a favorite or least favorite album. they were and are all great.
i agree 100%
i could never choose one album over another :supriced: that would make me feel bad
and to say one that was the worst...are you crazy??? i couldn't do that at all. i could never forgive myself for just thinking about it so i don't

rickster
01-29-2005, 08:19 AM
instead of selecting from compilations too, lets just stick to the basic albums that 'E' recorded in his lifetime, the most popular albums for me are, 'today' 'moody blue' 'recorded live on stage in memphis', these are classics, but the ones i dislike are most of the movie soundtrack albums (although i could make a pretty good cd from the best moments on them) and also 'elvis now'. rickster

T_J
01-29-2005, 10:21 AM
i agree 100%
i could never choose one album over another :supriced: that would make me feel bad
and to say one that was the worst...are you crazy??? i couldn't do that at all. i could never forgive myself for just thinking about it so i don't

You don't have certain albums you tend to play more than others though? That's all the question really means. No-one is asking you to say any albums were worthless :-)

dennyelvis
01-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Yeh thanks TJ .... my question really was meant to be a harmless one :) i have certain albums that get more of my "airplay" than others.
Sometimes i fancy light , happy , movie music ..... other days i want to rock ! .... so i put on the Today or Raised on rock albums ....
they are all F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C (y) But some do get to be ur favourites over others. (y)

WildStyle
01-29-2005, 11:52 AM
If we are talking most popular and not personal favourite, I would have to say either the first album or Blue Hawaii.

My personal favourites are Elvis Is Back and GI Blues.

Elvisgirl
01-29-2005, 03:23 PM
You don't have certain albums you tend to play more than others though?
no not really
and i know noone asked me to say any of the albums was worthless. that's not what i meant :)
but to say a least favorite like some have done. that's what i meant. i could NEVER Do that. and i couldn't choose a favorite either

rockinrebel
01-30-2005, 03:23 PM
Are we talking about Elvis’ best and worst albums here or our own personal favourites?

My own personal choice would be “Elvis Country”. This was one of the rare occasions during Elvis’ lifetime when RCA got the concept and the packing exactly right and really did justice to the work Elvis had done in the studio.

The mid sixties soundtracks would be my least favourite albums, I hardly ever play them, and it would be hard to single out one as being worse than all the others.

I dislike albums like “Love Letters” and “Now” because of the way RCA threw them together to make a quick buck. Following up a classic work like “Elvis Country” with a collection of leftovers like “Love Letters “ should be unthinkable for an artist of Elvis’ stature and it certainly wouldn’t happen today.

Likewise whilst I was introduced to Elvis’ music via the Camden albums when I was growing up, now that I know the history of these releases it really baffles me how RCA could throw away first rate performances like “Burning Love” etc on compilations of out dated movie material, when they should have been showcased on a major album release.

bogarcon
02-06-2005, 02:29 AM
well..if we go for quality and studio A1 sound it would be ``TODAY`` and for the sales well it is ``30 NUMBER ONE HITS``. It is strange that the LOVE LETTERS album seems to be ``flat`` or poor but back in the 70`s it was one the most played lp on the new FM radio station acroos the usa and Canada.

Jungleroom76
02-06-2005, 02:42 AM
:cool: ANOTHER VOTE FOR THE "TODAY" ALBUM!!! :cool: ;)

TCB!
Mike

rick
02-06-2005, 09:57 AM
I'd go for
From Elvis In Memphis
Elvis Country
Today

Worst:
Burning Love and Hits from his Movies - an utter disgrace to ruin a hit song in that manner.