PDA

View Full Version : Another proposal for Sony

vivaelvis
09-04-2012, 12:37 AM
It's apparent that Sony is searching for new creative ideas and ways to repackage the Elvis legacy into new projects aimed at the general public. So here's another idea of mine for a new box set in a mini-disc set package. Over the years, RCA has covered different aspects and eras of Elvis' career. The Nashville Sessions, the Memphis Sun, American Sound, Stax and the Graceland sessions have all been covered. However, not all at once in one single package. So, here's my idea. Sony could do a 5-disc set highlighting the Memphis recordings throughout his career, from 1954 to 1976. Disc 5 would be an unreleased soundboard from his very first homecoming show at the Mid-South Coliseum in 1974.

DISC 1 *Sun* (1954-55)

DISC 2 *American Sound* (1969)

DISC 3 *Stax* (1973)

DISC 4 *Jungle Room* (1976)

DISC 5 *Live In Memphis* (March 16 1974)

In this set, they could include all masters from the Sun and Graceland sessions. The American and Stax discs would be the best of highlights of those two separate recording periods. All multi-channel tracks would be newly mixed. Approximately 20 songs per disc and around 80 tracks for all 4 combined. I think a set like this would be good for the mainstream priced at a reasonable retail price like with Young man With A Big Beat. It also would have great appeal due to the fact that it's from Memphis, where it all began. Memphis is known as the capital for hit making music during that music period.

I see this as a way to package 5 different albums in one release, all upgraded sound and a nice booklet with liner notes covering the entire Memphis recordings.(y)

debtdbruno
09-04-2012, 08:20 AM
I think Sony needs to find you a job with them...........love this idea

Snake Eyes
09-04-2012, 06:25 PM
I think Sony needs to find you a job with them...........love this idea

He's got my vote (y) Nice idea Viva, have you ever considered sending you ideas to Sony? It's time for the execs to take on new perspectives.

KPM
09-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Yes why not bypass the forum and just send your suggestions to Ernst or the Sony Legacy team....if they have merit perhaps you could make some cash on the ideas.
I'm sure ideas are bounced around by Ernst all the time-remembering the constraints Sony probably has for yearly releases-but perhaps they have not thought of your suggestions.

KPM
09-04-2012, 10:23 PM
My own personal suggestion to Sony, EPE, Apollo etc....is the same one I have been suggesting for years-they need to buy up all the quality 8mm, VHS, 16mm footage of Elvis they can get their hands on and use current technology to clean them up, edit them, sync them to soundboards and release it in hour long segments. This footage for "Prince" is the closest they have come to doing this. They could have gone a step further and got other footage from 72 and used the additional footage to construct a complete concert-using the audio from the MSG shows-but they did not go that further step-and we'll see how that plays. (They still could have included the MSG footage totally as it was recorded)
There is tons of great quality footage out in public hands, You Tube shows us this.........editing it together should not be a problem even using differing footage from differeing shows to edit together a single complete song....the use to promote new things is endless.
The virtual Elvis being worked on will still be a "created depiction"......we'll see how well its done.......but so much great actual performances are out there. I understand the work it would take to find the actual owners of footage-but nothing worthwhile is easy.
THe St Louis show I attended in 76 has very clear very close up footage from 76-, great footage from the New Years Show, great foota from Omaha, great clear footage from Vegas......all over the internet and they should be acquireing it yearly.
The audio side of the Elvis legacy has been pretty much explored in every way shape and form-right here on the forum we have heard people complain about re-issues and the repetition of them-which IMO is understandable because the catalogue had virtually nothing new in the vaults beyond outtakes, alternate takes, and soundboards with slight variations.......new video could help make these re-issues much more appealing to fans, and potential fans.
Elvis sells Elvis.

King Of The Whole World
09-05-2012, 01:28 AM
My own personal suggestion to Sony, EPE, Apollo etc....is the same one I have been suggesting for years-they need to buy up all the quality 8mm, VHS, 16mm footage of Elvis they can get their hands on and use current technology to clean them up, edit them, sync them to soundboards and release it in hour long segments. This footage for "Prince" is the closest they have come to doing this. They could have gone a step further and got other footage from 72 and used the additional footage to construct a complete concert-using the audio from the MSG shows-but they did not go that further step-and we'll see how that plays. (They still could have included the MSG footage totally as it was recorded)
There is tons of great quality footage out in public hands, You Tube shows us this.........editing it together should not be a problem even using differing footage from differeing shows to edit together a single complete song....the use to promote new things is endless.
The virtual Elvis being worked on will still be a "created depiction"......we'll see how well its done.......but so much great actual performances are out there. I understand the work it would take to find the actual owners of footage-but nothing worthwhile is easy.
THe St Louis show I attended in 76 has very clear very close up footage from 76-, great footage from the New Years Show, great foota from Omaha, great clear footage from Vegas......all over the internet and they should be acquireing it yearly.
The audio side of the Elvis legacy has been pretty much explored in every way shape and form-right here on the forum we have heard people complain about re-issues and the repetition of them-which IMO is understandable because the catalogue had virtually nothing new in the vaults beyond outtakes, alternate takes, and soundboards with slight variations.......new video could help make these re-issues much more appealing to fans, and potential fans.
Elvis sells Elvis.

Maybe if PFAP sells well they just might do what you are talking about. We could see more of these type of box sets.

Snake Eyes
09-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Elvis sells Elvis.

Is it possible that they are trying to do this? I know there is footage in private hands and that the people who have it either don't want to share it, or haven't been offered enough money.

Also I agree, it definately would have made more sense to use existing MSG footage and combine it with the new footage for the Prince release.

debtdbruno
09-06-2012, 07:55 AM
I dont understand why, (presumably) another Elvis fan would want to keep it hidden......wouldnt you get more satisfaction seeing it being advertised for a dvd release etc... on a big screen for everyone else to enjoy.

Snake Eyes
09-06-2012, 10:33 AM
I dont understand why, (presumably) another Elvis fan would want to keep it hidden......wouldnt you get more satisfaction seeing it being advertised for a dvd release etc... on a big screen for everyone else to enjoy.

I'd imagine there is a sense of smugness involved, knowing they have something everyone else wants. I did read elsewhere that a fan bought an original Presley family album, costing her a small fortune back in the day, she hasn't sold any of these pictures to my knowledge nor does she intend to. To some degree I can understand this mentality, owning something incredibly rare and knowing you are the only one makes it priceless.

debtdbruno
09-06-2012, 05:07 PM
I can see a book and pics are different......but the footage taken of him in the 50's, 60's and 70's, quality must be a bit 'crappy'....wouldnt you want a professional to 'revamp' it to a much better quality? to see it on a bit screen......I mean........ WOW.....I would anyway (still want some money from them though, not that daft)

Snake Eyes
09-06-2012, 08:04 PM
I can see a book and pics are different......but the footage taken of him in the 50's, 60's and 70's, quality must be a bit 'crappy'....wouldnt you want a professional to 'revamp' it to a much better quality? to see it on a bit screen......I mean........ WOW.....I would anyway (still want some money from them though, not that daft)

You'd think that people would think like you and me, but the uber collectors are a different breed and if they can afford to knock back offers, they can probably afford to get footage cleaned up without a huge fanfare. Owning original footage still beats any duplicates hands down, so they'd still be in favourable position if and when they choose to share (or not!)

KPM
09-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Is it possible that they are trying to do this? [B]I know there is footage in private hands and that the people who have it either don't want to share it, or haven't been offered enough money.

Also I agree, it definately would have made more sense to use existing MSG footage and combine it with the new footage for the Prince release.
The author of many Elvis books, Joe Tunzi, has spoke about people who have great footage that do not want to share it so that is a big probability.
Since it was illegal to film those concerts to start with some people may feel they have to keep it private, or like you say-they want a ton of money and that is probably not going to happen.......since it was illegally filmed to start with-they are lucky an offer is being made instead of a summons at their door:D The limitations law has run out I suppose so they have little to worry about.

Snake Eyes
09-07-2012, 07:44 PM
The author of many Elvis books, Joe Tunzi, has spoke about people who have great footage that do not want to share it so that is a big probability.
Since it was illegal to film those concerts to start with some people may feel they have to keep it private, or like you say-they want a ton of money and that is probably not going to happen.......since it was illegally filmed to start with-they are lucky an offer is being made instead of a summons at their door:D The limitations law has run out I suppose so they have little to worry about.

I know it's incredibly tacky to ask, but the collector who supplied footage for the Prince release, does anyone know a rough ball park figure for his footage? I genuinely believe they just don't want to share, which is their choice and I respect it (slightly), but nothing stays hidden forever and eventually more footage will be leaked and put out there, one can hope.

KPM
09-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I know it's incredibly tacky to ask, but the collector who supplied footage for the Prince release, does anyone know a rough ball park figure for his footage? I genuinely believe they just don't want to share, which is their choice and I respect it (slightly), but nothing stays hidden forever and eventually more footage will be leaked and put out there, one can hope.
I have not read a figure anywhere, so its being kept pretty quiet.

King Of The Whole World
09-07-2012, 08:59 PM

I believe the guy didn’t know he had the footage from the concert until a few years ago. It could have taken a few years for them to work out the deal. I remember Ernst saying during Elvis week that he was paid "very well".

KPM
09-10-2012, 10:22 PM
I believe the guy didn’t know he had the footage from the concert until a few years ago. It could have taken a few years for them to work out the deal. I remember Ernst saying during Elvis week that he was paid "very well".
If he forgot he had this footage-what kind of fan is he;):D
I have a horrid cassette tape of the 3-22-76 concert in St Louis Mo that I admit we taped on a portable cassette recorder-and the sound is horrible scratchy, fuzzy, more audience screams, whistles and voices than Elvis-but I know exactly where it is:D

Snake Eyes
09-10-2012, 10:34 PM

I was going to ask how long it took to hash out the formalities, but how could you forget you have Elvis concert footage? I also wonder if the seller will get a mention in the prince release or if he's asked for anonymity OR whether there will be any mention of him regarding this footage anywhere.

King Of The Whole World
09-11-2012, 12:53 AM
If I remember correctly Ernst said that the guy was trying to film it for his wife. I don't think he was that big of a fan, so he was just doing it for her. So I could see him maybe forgetting about it over time if he wasn’t that big of a fan. If it had audio the guy might have remembered it a little more but he probably thought that nobody would want to see just video of the concert.

I wish the guy would have had a 5ft tall stack of tapes with him so he could’ve filmed the whole show.

Snake Eyes
09-11-2012, 01:30 PM
If I remember correctly Ernst said that the guy was trying to film it for his wife. I don't think he was that big of a fan, so he was just doing it for her. So I could see him maybe forgetting about it over time if he wasn’t that big of a fan. If it had audio the guy might have remembered it a little more but he probably thought that nobody would want to see just video of the concert.

I wish the guy would have had a 5ft tall stack of tapes with him so he could’ve filmed the whole show.

So it would appear the guys wife had fully trained her man, but he let the side down by not bringing enough tape, sounds about right :lmfao: