PDA

View Full Version : 75,000 Elvis Fans Attend Candlelight Vigil - Video and Photos Now Available

Elvis.com
08-16-2012, 08:20 PM
An estimated 75,000 Elvis fans gathered at the gates of Graceland to celebrate the life and legacy of Elvis Presley on August 15. Fans were in for a surprise when, for the first time ever, Priscilla and Lisa Marie Presley came to the gates to greet guests for the Candlelight Vigil. Video and pho...

More... (http://www.elvis.com/news/detail.aspx?id=6560)

KPM
08-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Amazing-35 years have come and gone and 75,000 for the Candlelight Vigil. Elvis would have to say once again:
"Never ceases to amaze me"
Elvis Lives!

RS277
08-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Long Live The King :king:

debtdbruno
08-17-2012, 06:50 AM
last ones down were at 5.30 this morning.........

King Of The Whole World
08-20-2012, 01:24 AM
In being honest, I was there and it did not seem like 75,000 to me. Maybe 10,000. I wish they would show a aerial view or have someone using a counter to find out how many people went thru the gates.

vivaelvis
08-20-2012, 04:03 AM
In being honest, I was there and it did not seem like 75,000 to me. Maybe 10,000. I wish they would show a aerial view or have someone using a counter to find out how many people went thru the gates.

10,000, really? There were 25,000 last year. Besides, the police estimated it at 75,000. Maybe you were there after midnight when the crowd thinned out. This looks a lot more than just 10,000.

http://p.twimg.com/A0ZOTXDCUAAtdqc.jpg

King Of The Whole World
08-20-2012, 05:22 AM
10,000, really? There were 25,000 last year. Besides, the police estimated it at 75,000. Maybe you were there after midnight when the crowd thinned out. This looks a lot more than just 10,000.

http://p.twimg.com/A0ZOTXDCUAAtdqc.jpg

No, I got there at 5:30. It is hard to see all the way down the street but when we were leaving around 12 or so, there were not that many people in the street. There are not that many parking spaces either for 75,000 people. Having 75,000 people is a lot of people. I think the number is inflated to pump up everything. I would like to KNOW exactly how many people were there though. I know they said the show at the FedEx Forum was supposed to be around 20,000. There seem to be more people there than at the candle light vigil.

I think they should really have someone at the gate using a counter to track how many people come thru the gates. This is the only way to really know. I guess some people could leave after the gates open instead of going up to the mediation gardens.

josephinebeau
08-21-2012, 03:32 AM
No, I got there at 5:30. It is hard to see all the way down the street but when we were leaving around 12 or so, there were not that many people in the street. There are not that many parking spaces either for 75,000 people. Having 75,000 people is a lot of people. I think the number is inflated to pump up everything. I would like to KNOW exactly how many people were there though. I know they said the show at the FedEx Forum was supposed to be around 20,000. There seem to be more people there than at the candle light vigil.

I think they should really have someone at the gate using a counter to track how many people come thru the gates. This is the only way to really know. I guess some people could leave after the gates open instead of going up to the mediation gardens.

I will have to lovingly and respectfully disagree.:blush: I was in line from 11:50pm till 4am when I got back to the street. Even at that late (or early) hour the line was at least 100 yards long and at least 4 deep. People like me thought that the latter it got the shorter the line would be so we went and ate, drank, went to the restrooms, shopped, napped, etc. so those folks would not necessarily see on the street the whole time. As far as parking, well I did not drive so I would imagine considering the traffic and parking issues, many others would not have either. It was a very long day to say the least since I had gotten up at 4:30am the previous morning to get to the airport. But it was well worth it, Elvis died before I was born and this was my way to show love and say thank you and it was so worth it. (y)

King Of The Whole World
08-21-2012, 03:44 AM
I will have to lovingly and respectfully disagree.:blush: I was in line from 11:50pm till 4am when I got back to the street. Even at that late (or early) hour the line was at least 100 yards long and at least 4 deep. People like me thought that the latter it got the shorter the line would be so we went and ate, drank, went to the restrooms, shopped, napped, etc. so those folks would not necessarily see on the street the whole time. As far as parking, well I did not drive so I would imagine considering the traffic and parking issues, many others would not have either. It was a very long day to say the least since I had gotten up at 4:30am the previous morning to get to the airport. But it was well worth it, Elvis died before I was born and this was my way to show love and say thank you and it was so worth it. (y)

I understand. I wish they would show some photos from the sky or if they would count the people going thru the gate. I guess we will never know.

I'm also a fan who was not born until after Elvis' death. I guess you didn't get to hear the songs and the words that were said before they opened the gates. That was great but many people were crying, they knew how to tear at the heart for sure. It was tuff. The title of the night was "I'll Never Know" and that was one of the songs they played.

josephinebeau
08-21-2012, 04:00 AM
Okay I know I am being a thread hog but I have to share a super sweet story from the vigil. So it is sometime after 3am and everyone is tired but we are halfway up the driveway and you know it just gets real when you get past the gates. The five people ahead of me in line and myself were Americans and we chatted for hours about Elvis, Memphis, etc.. good times. But the family behind me consisted of a Mom, Dad, and 2-3 kids, the kids were probably no more than 11 or 12 and they family was I think from Germany. Some Japanese fans were coming down the driveway to go home, they had brought with them these beautiful Japanese paper lanterns to use instead of regular candles. One of the Japanese ladies went to one of the German kids and asked her if she would like to have the still lit lantern, the family was very grateful and gracious and accepted the gift and in that moment it really made all the waiting worthwhile. Being an Elvis fan is not about just jumpsuits or rock and roll, it is about love and sharing it with others. I was fortunate enough to meet fans from EVERYWHERE, as I am walking up the hill and waiting in line you have to ask yourself why, I think of it as God made Elvis and gave him this wonderful gift to share with the world, Elvis stumbled and often failed as many of us do in our path but he never lost the love and the need to share it. Sorry to get to sappy but needed to share that story because sometimes fan forums can get bogged down with negativity and miss the point. TCB Y'all.(y)