PDA

View Full Version : Major Graceland announcement coming?

vivaelvis
08-11-2012, 06:01 AM
I was told tonight by my close friend back in Memphis, who was at Graceland today, that he's hearing around town from inside sources that a major announcement from EPE about Graceland may be coming very soon. He doesn't know if it's going to be tied in with Elvis Week or held until afterwards, but that's the word tonight. I was told that their top priority is said to be a new hotel and a new museum. It looks like all the other stuff is either tabled or going to be done down the road. The economy will determine what all gets done in the foreseeable future.

Just to let it be known, my friend (who I went to school with) is a usual reliable source when it comes to Memphis developments and projects as that's who he works for.

debtdbruno
08-11-2012, 11:54 AM
we'll keep our ears to the ground then, hope they announce something this week.......

KPM
08-12-2012, 01:07 AM
I will not wait for an announcement (announcements are a dime a dozen, just as rumors are a penny a hundred)-you wait to see the actual "implimentation and completion" in timely fashion so as always.....lets wait and see.;)

vivaelvis
08-13-2012, 12:32 AM
I will not wait for an announcement (announcements are a dime a dozen, just as rumors are a penny a hundred)-you wait to see the actual "implimentation and completion" in timely fashion so as always.....lets wait and see.;)

Just a rendering alone would be enough for me. They haven't even done that yet.

KPM
08-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Just a rendering alone would be enough for me. They haven't even done that yet.
EPE has been put into a rock and a hard place since Sillermans 85% buy.....anyone entity that holds that much stock in a venture-calls the shots.
Sillerman came in with a bang, and departed with a whimper......announcements and interviews with speculative discussion were very common place with his tenure......with Apollo it is no different-they call the shots, they decide which directions to move in and how much money will be spent...time will show us what they are planning and how solidly grounded their plans are.
EPE can suggest or give them a wish list-but Apollo holds the cards.

vivaelvis
08-28-2012, 09:24 PM
In the Memphis Commercial Appeal this morning there was an article on the church, just south of the Graceland wall, being demolished and the 6 acre property being cleared for a redevelopment of EP Boulevard. It's being rezoned to commercial from residential. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/aug/28/church-near-graceland-razed-freeing-6-acres-for/

debtdbruno
08-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Interesting..........

is there any positive news on when they're going to start building the new hotel?

vivaelvis
08-29-2012, 02:13 AM
Interesting..........

is there any positive news on when they're going to start building the new hotel?

Nothing new at this moment.

KPM
08-29-2012, 04:04 PM
It will all happen as it happens, news stories and press releases are all well and good-proof is in the seeing.

vivaelvis
10-27-2012, 12:47 AM
I asked my friend if he has heard anything on Graceland redevelopment plans and he said no. His theory is that Apollo is keeping all plans close to the vest and not letting it out the way former owner, Robert Sillerman did. But he said that EPE has not requested any building permits which must happen before any construction or significant upgrades can be made. I was told though not to expect anything to be done by EPE or Apollo until 2013. So no new hotel or museums anytime soon.

However, there is some good news. The city is still on schedule to break ground on phase 1 of the redevelopment of Elvis Presley Boulevard set to begin next Month (November). They just got approval this week for $2 million dollars in city capital funding to go towards the first phase for redeveloped landscaping.

Joe Car
10-27-2012, 02:54 PM
I asked my friend if he has heard anything on Graceland redevelopment plans and he said no. His theory is that Apollo is keeping all plans close to the vest and not letting it out the way former owner, Robert Sillerman did. But he said that EPE has not requested any building permits which must happen before any construction or significant upgrades can be made. I was told though not to expect anything to be done by EPE or Apollo until 2013. So no new hotel or museums anytime soon.

However, there is some good news. The city is still on schedule to break ground on phase 1 of the redevelopment of Elvis Presley Boulevard set to begin next Month (November). They just got approval this week for $2 million dollars in city capital funding to go towards the first phase for redeveloped landscaping.

Thanks for keeping us posted vivaelvis.

presley31
10-28-2012, 03:44 PM
It will all happen as it happens, news stories and press releases are all well and good-proof is in the seeing.

Agree..We been hearing about these major updates and nothing really come out of them so wait and see kinda thing.

vivaelvis
10-28-2012, 05:06 PM
There's a few issues holding back the plans. One being the economy and the threat of another recession around the corner. If Obama is re-elected, then the consumers will feel safer about the economy's stability. But if it's Romney then there will be fear of another economical meltdown around the corner. Remember, the last US recession occurred under Bush's watch, a Republican. And the last one prior to that was back in the Reagan era,

Another issue is that Apollo might be concerned with pumping a lot of capital into a troubled urban community such as Whitehaven where crime is rising due to poverty, and lack of good paying jobs. They may feel that it might not live up to expectations and may chase off visitors and potential consumers. Therefor they would take a huge financial loss. However, the fact that the city is about to begin on a 3-phase $50 million dollar redevelopment of the Elvis Presley Boulevard strip could play a huge factor into what Apollo decides to do.

King Of The Whole World
10-28-2012, 10:06 PM
There's a few issues holding back the plans. One being the economy and the threat of another recession around the corner. If Obama is re-elected, then the consumers will feel safer about the economy's stability. But if it's Romney then there will be fear of another economical meltdown around the corner. Remember, the last US recession occurred under Bush's watch, a Republican. And the last one prior to that was back in the Reagan era,

Another issue is that Apollo might be concerned with pumping a lot of capital into a troubled urban community such as Whitehaven where crime is rising due to poverty, and lack of good paying jobs. They may feel that it might not live up to expectations and may chase off visitors and potential consumers. Therefor they would take a huge financial loss. However, the fact that the city is about to begin on a 3-phase $50 million dollar redevelopment of the Elvis Presley Boulevard strip could play a huge factor into what Apollo decides to do.

I really don't want this thread to turn into a political issue or comments but I'm sorry you have it backwards.

vivaelvis
10-28-2012, 10:23 PM
I really don't want this thread to turn into a political issue or comments but I'm sorry you have it backwards. I'm just going by what is being said and what the general public is saying.

Brian
10-29-2012, 12:16 AM
I've been hearing there is a big announcement coming from Graceland from someone for the last 10 years.

Ever since Robert Sillerman bought Elvis' likeness i'd be hearing from certain fans that he had all these great plans and all these announcements would be forthcoming.

We all know how that turned out nothing big happened then and nothing big is going to happen now.

Truth be told nothing is going to get fans excited Elvis has been dead for 35 years and there is nothing they can do to market him etc.

vivaelvis
10-29-2012, 12:38 AM
I've been hearing there is a big announcement coming from Graceland from someone for the last 10 years.

Ever since Robert Sillerman bought Elvis' likeness i'd be hearing from certain fans that he had all these great plans and all these announcements would be forthcoming.

We all know how that turned out nothing big happened then and nothing big is going to happen now.

Truth be told nothing is going to get fans excited Elvis has been dead for 35 years and there is nothing they can do to market him etc.

Apparently you missed the news coverage around the world on the Elvis Experience in Brazil last month. It was a massive success for both Elvis and EPE. It proved there is still an Elvis market outside of Graceland and America. But as for the plans that you claim aren't coming, they're coming, eventually. Just on a lighter scale than what they had originally proposed. We're at the end of an economical recession that sat America back financially. That's why those plans never materialized. Things change.

Brian
10-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Apparently you missed the news coverage around the world on the Elvis Experience in Brazil last month. It was a massive success for both Elvis and EPE. It proved there is still an Elvis market outside of Graceland and America. But as for the plans that you claim aren't coming, they're coming, eventually. Just on a lighter scale than what they had originally proposed. We're at the end of an economical recession that sat America back financially. That's why those plans never materialized. Things change.

I heard about that but i don't consider that a big deal.

Don't get your hopes up on all these ''plans''.

KPM
10-29-2012, 08:33 PM
I was told tonight by my close friend back in Memphis, who was at Graceland today, that he's hearing around town from inside sources that a major announcement from EPE about Graceland may be coming very soon. He doesn't know if it's going to be tied in with Elvis Week or held until afterwards, but that's the word tonight. I was told that their top priority is said to be a new hotel and a new museum. It looks like all the other stuff is either tabled or going to be done down the road. The economy will determine what all gets done in the foreseeable future.

Just to let it be known, my friend (who I went to school with) is a usual reliable source when it comes to Memphis developments and projects as that's who he works for.
Wow Apollo moves quick-a major announcement about a new hotel and museum that has been proposed since Sillerman bought into Graceland;) isn't this a re-announcement or a re-re announcement;)....and all the other stuff has been tabled or postponed till down the road.....once again announcements mean little at this stage when announcement after announcement has come and gone.....2005 we all here recall the choir singing "it will all be done in as little as 2-3 years"
At that time I said-nothing happens that quick when you are dealing with all the issues that confront a project of this size and time has shown I was correct.
Let "whomever" announce "whatever they want"- then put a nickle and every rumor, annoucement, and projection into the bank and your account will have jumped by "One Nickle"!:D
We will see it as it happens-regardless of annoucements or rumor.
Sounds familiar

KPM
10-29-2012, 08:57 PM
The plans never materialized because of planning that was always changing in scope and vision. It was poorly visualized from day one-buying into Graceland was the goal that was the achievement of Sillerman.........when the goal should have been
"after we acquire Graceland we must have a defined plan of action to proceed and hit the ground running"
3 good economic years were wasted by "procrastination and over thinking".

Now Apollo has acquired the rights-and they are suppose to have deep deep pockets and more business savvy than Sillerman-for a few years since they took over I have been saying lets see what they do....and I am still saying that.....hopefully they have a plan-and not a list of announcements for each year.
The recession did not just set the US back it set the world back-even though we have faired much better than Europe which now has several countries on the verge of bankruptcy (with the fate of the Euro currency in doubt)-what happens to the rest of the world will unfortunately affect the US (no ifs, ans, or buts about that) ........so even though the US is better off than the rest of the world-our recession may be far from over regardless of who is elected President. So I would not hold my breath on any major developements happening if Europe has a couple countries go bankrupt-which I would think Apollo must also have the savvy to see.

KPM
10-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Apollo-Needing proof that Elvis has a market outside of America??? that is proof to many that they may not have a clue to the grand scope of Elvis and his legacy of fans that continues to grow even as the powers that be sit and cut bait.

vivaelvis
11-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Here's a news report from Fox in Memphis about the renovations on Elvis Presley Boulevard. The groundbreaking date is in 2 weeks, November 15. Check out the middle section design at the four way crossing of EPB and E. Brooks Rd. Very cool! Looking South and it resembles a big W. Looking North and it resembles a big M.(y)

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/19838105/elvis-presley-blvd-upgrade-starts-nov-15

vivaelvis
11-12-2012, 05:08 AM
Update: The upgrades to Elvis Presley Boulevard are officially beginning this Thursday morning with a special groundbreaking ceremony with Memphis Mayor AC Wharton and Whitehaven district councilman Harold Collins. I can't believe it's actually going to happen after all this time that they have tried to get it done. Better late than never.(y)

debtdbruno
11-12-2012, 10:07 AM
brilliant news, thanks Viva

josephinebeau
11-15-2012, 02:40 AM
Thank heavens hopefully they will be done by the 40th anniversary, that would be great.

vivaelvis
11-16-2012, 04:17 AM
Here's a news video on the official beginning of the street upgrades that began today. Sounds like everyone in Whitehaven is excited and optimistic about what it will mean for both businesses and tourists. It's only expected to take about 3 years to complete and Mayor Wharton says it will get done under his watch.(y) http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/video?clipId=7964584&topVideoCatNo=230026&autoStart=true

King Of The Whole World
11-16-2012, 04:49 AM
Thank you Viva for posting the video. All those people can thank one man for those improvements....E-L-V-I-S. I don't think it would have happened without him.

vivaelvis
11-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Thank you Viva for posting the video. All those people can thank one man for those improvements....E-L-V-I-S. I don't think it would have happened without him.

Very true! But I do have to give Memphis councilman Harold Collins some due credit too. He was relentless for years trying to get it done and it succeeded. I find it funny that it took a native of Memphis to get the city's attention when Jack Soden and EPE failed to for 30 years.

KPM
11-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Very true! But I do have to give Memphis councilman Harold Collins some due credit too. He was relentless for years trying to get it done and it succeeded. I find it funny that it took a native of Memphis to get the city's attention when Jack Soden and EPE failed to for 30 years.
With all due respect-Soden and EPE have had the citys attention ever since Graceland opened and the dollars began to roll into city coffers that increased yearly. Soden and EPE are not the city planners, nor the city elected officials, nor the Genies with a magic lamp...city, state and county officials make the decisions concerning what is and is not done.

Jungleroom76
11-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Here's a news video on the official beginning of the street upgrades that began today. Sounds like everyone in Whitehaven is excited and optimistic about what it will mean for both businesses and tourists. It's only expected to take about 3 years to complete and Mayor Wharton says it will get done under his watch.(y) http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/video?clipId=7964584&topVideoCatNo=230026&autoStart=true

Thanks so much for posting the video clip Viva! (y)

All I can say is that it's about time! That area has drastically needed improvement for years, and it's about time that the city of Memphis has finally gotten their act together and is getting started on this project!! Once this project gets started, other projects - including (hopefully) the proposed expansion of the Graceland complex - will also get underway!! :D

TCB!
Mike

vivaelvis
11-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Thanks so much for posting the video clip Viva! (y)

All I can say is that it's about time! That area has drastically needed improvement for years, and it's about time that the city of Memphis has finally gotten their act together and is getting started on this project!! Once this project gets started, other projects - including (hopefully) the proposed expansion of the Graceland complex - will also get underway!! :D

TCB!
Mike

Sillerman's original plans got scrapped and were way too expensive to take on. The economy is most likely about to take another hit from upcoming budget cuts to happen in early 2013 and another possibly sending us into another recession. Unfortunately, this will only push back expansion even further.

Jungleroom76
11-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Sillerman's original plans got scrapped and were way too expensive to take on. The economy is most likely about to take another hit from upcoming budget cuts to happen in early 2013 and another possibly sending us into another recession. Unfortunately, this will only push back expansion even further.

Believe me Viva, I know EXACTLY what you're saying... :doh:

Hopefully the new plans EPE are working on for the Graceland expansion will be designed in such a way that perhaps they can do it in smaller pieces, a little at a time, and as the economy recovers, they can move full steam ahead... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

KPM
11-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Believe me Viva, I know EXACTLY what you're saying... :doh:

Hopefully the new plans EPE are working on for the Graceland expansion will be designed in such a way that perhaps they can do it in smaller pieces, a little at a time, and as the economy recovers, they can move full steam ahead... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike
The EPE plans will be whatever CORE?Apollo will allow.
Apollo is in the driver seat and perhaps finally.... since Memphis ,after 35 years of reaping high returns on tourist dollars and taxes, is beginning improvement-Apollo may allocate some of those "deep pocket dollars" to something substantial.
But time will tell-as I have said for years:D

KPM
11-17-2012, 11:14 PM
On this you and I can totally agree-without his drawing power to bring Memphis big bucks this may not have ever happened.

vivaelvis
11-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Apollo is in the driver seat and perhaps finally.... since Memphis ,after 35 years of reaping high returns on tourist dollars and taxes, is beginning improvement-Apollo may allocate some of those "deep pocket dollars" to something substantial.

My understanding is that EPE/Core (formerly CKX) wasn't going to begin any expansion until the city did it's part. Now that the city has begun renovations of the boulevard, the newly revised expansion plans for Graceland should start to come together. At least that's the hope of city officials.

Jungleroom76
11-18-2012, 09:57 PM

That's what I meant...sorry for the typo... :doh: :blush:

TCB!
Mike

KPM
11-19-2012, 12:49 AM
That's what I meant...sorry for the typo... :doh: :blush:

TCB!
Mike
No problem my friend