PDA

View Full Version : What's Next?

vivaelvis
07-22-2012, 10:03 PM
With Sony following up the Grammy nominated Young Man With A Big Beat with the upcoming multi-disc set Prince From Another Planet, what do you think will be next in line for Sony Mainstream? I would think Aloha would be since it'll be the 40th anniversary of the historical groundbreaking TV special that opened the doors of technology to live satellite programming. However, we already have both shows on DVD in superb sound quality. So remixing the shows would do nothing to improve the sound and Sony may feel it's not worth releasing on the mainstream. That project may be held back for FTD label.. Unless, they were to find pro-shot footage of the November Hawaii show with audio. But, that's doubtful.

So, my choices for the follow-up would be (not in any particul order)

- Elvis On Tour box set. I could see them doing a 4-disc set, with all 3 remaining unreleased shows plus a 4th disc of unreleased rehearsals and the 1972 master recordings from Hollywood, CA.

- American Sound Sessions remixed and newly mastered to give them a fresh new modern sound. Maybe do it in a single disc featuring the best songs with strong promotion describing it as Elvis's greatest recording session post Sun.

- 24 Top R&B Hits. With the recent announcement of Elvis topping the list of non-black musicians to have the highest success on the R&B charts, a complete 2-disc set would be intriguing. Disc 1 the 24 top 10 hits and disc 2 could be 20-24 legendary blues and R&B recordings.

- The Complete Stax Sessions remixed and newly mastered to give them a fresh new modern sound. A 2-disc set featuring all masters including It's Different Now. Maybe Sony can find the lost Stax jam session to include it to draw more interest in the set.

The Complete 1970-71 Nashville Sessions in 4 disc set, including the sacred music but minus the Christmas sessions.

debtdbruno
07-22-2012, 10:24 PM
With Sony following up the Grammy nominated Young Man With A Big Beat with the upcoming multi-disc set Prince From Another Planet, what do you think will be next in line for Sony Mainstream? I would think Aloha would be since it'll be the 40th anniversary of the historical groundbreaking TV special that opened the doors of technology to live satellite programming. However, we already have both shows on DVD in superb sound quality. So remixing the shows would do nothing to improve the sound and Sony may feel it's not worth releasing on the mainstream. That project may be held back for FTD label.. Unless, they were to find pro-shot footage of the November Hawaii show with audio. But, that's doubtful.

So, my choices for the follow-up would be (not in any particul order)

- Elvis On Tour box set. I could see them doing a 4-disc set, with all 3 remaining unreleased shows plus a 4th disc of unreleased rehearsals and the 1972 master recordings from Hollywood, CA.

- American Sound Sessions remixed and newly mastered to give them a fresh new modern sound. Maybe do it in a single disc featuring the best songs with strong promotion describing it as Elvis's greatest recording session post Sun.

- 24 Top R&B Hits. With the recent announcement of Elvis topping the list of non-black musicians to have the highest success on the R&B charts, a complete 2-disc set would be intriguing. Disc 1 the 24 top 10 hits and disc 2 could be 20-24 legendary blues and R&B recordings.

- The Complete Stax Sessions remixed and newly mastered to give them a fresh new modern sound. A 2-disc set featuring all masters including It's Different Now. Maybe Sony can find the lost Stax jam session to include it to draw more interest in the set.

The Complete 1970-71 Nashville Sessions in 4 disc set, including the sacred music but minus the Christmas sessions.

I'd go with any of them...........