PDA

View Full Version : Which would you prefer?

vivaelvis
06-15-2012, 01:44 AM
It looks like EPE is looking for a way to replace the ETAs and impersonators in the market and the hologram/virtual Elvis projects could just do that. I for one would love to see all impersonators disappear at least when it comes to EPE. Some are good but none are as good as the real thing, nor even close. Plus I have a problem with them making a living off of his legacy, just like the Mafia. I get so annoyed by seeing these ETAs names pop up under Elvis news in the media on my Yahoo front page instead of the man himself.(n) Seeing the latest news on the hologram announcement has been a ray of light!(y)

So, I would prefer to see a virtual Elvis opposed to an imitator. Even if the illusion isn't the real thing. At least it's the closest to it and will be Elvis' voice and the same image just computerized.

So which would you prefer?

debtdbruno
06-15-2012, 08:12 AM
I don't think you can say EPE are trying to get rid of ETA's when they endorse them at Elvis week each year.......

They were around when Elvis was still here, he didn't seem to have a problem with them.

Jeanine
06-15-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't think you can say EPE are trying to get rid of ETA's when they endorse them at Elvis week each year.......

They were around when Elvis was still here, he didn't seem to have a problem with them.
I agree with you. Elvis had no problem with ETA's why should we? As long as they're respectful, people enjoy their shows, what's the problem??

http://encinitas.patch.com/articles/are-holograms-a-dead-celebritys-best-friend-bb072a12

Are Holograms a Dead Celebrity’s Best Friend?

Technology allows Tupac and Marilyn to grace the stage once again, but with what consequences?

By Genevieve Suzuki
Email the author
June 9, 2012

Elvis Presley is alive. He’s standing next to Tupac Shakur and Marilyn Monroe, waiting to take the stage thanks to the wonder of technology. It’s really just smoke and mirrors—literally.

In April, a hologram of the late Shakur joined his friends, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre, onstage at Coachella. The crowd was stunned at how real the performance seemed, despite Shakur having met his demise in 1996 after being gunned down in Las Vegas by unknown assailants. As the conjured Shakur performed, it seemed almost a sign that the End of Days was upon us. At the very least it seemed to confirm every gangster conspiracy theorist’s sneaking suspicion that Shakur is still alive.

Concert attendees discovered later Shakur had been brought back as a hologram by tech company AV Concepts. While conspiracy theorists may be clinging to their ideas, the rest of the public was amazed at the image’s authenticity. For the briefest of moments, Tupac lived again.

Last week, The Hollywood Reporter revealed that company Digicon Media is planning to bring back iconic blonde Monroe in “Virtual Marilyn Live – A Musical Celebration of the Birth of the Pop Icon.”

While fans of Monroe may want to send love letters to Digicon Media and AV Concepts, there are a few people who may not be excited about the late bombshell’s return. Katherine McPhee and Megan Hilty may be among the latter. Why watch their series, Smash, revolving around the making of a Broadway musical about Monroe when you can actually watch the real deal perform “Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend”?

The same goes for impersonators. Boy, if you think it’s bad that thousands of teachers will be on unemployment come July, just wait until Monroe, Presley and Michael Jackson impersonators get in line.

Perhaps most affected by our departed stars’ return will be today’s celebrities. How will we ever find the next Elvis if the original guy is still putting on concerts in Madison Square Garden?

One of the things my husband and I sometimes argue about is our taste in music. He insists most music after the ‘90s isn’t worth his time. I, on the other hand, enjoy giving new music a chance. Sure, sometimes you get a Rebecca Black, but finding an Adele makes grinding your teeth during “Friday” worth it.

As a Whitney Houston fan, I understand the desire to see a favorite performer walk across the stage again. Even better, the Houston hologram would be healthy, unlike the person, who struggled with substance abuse and personal demons.

But there’s something about the person, demons and all, that brings the pain behind the lyrics to life. When Houston sang, “One Moment in Time,” you really felt her. It wasn’t a request – it was a passionate demand.

A holographic Houston, although imbued with the singer’s likeness and voice, would lack the depth that made her such a phenomenon.

And once we start reviving our dead celebrities, what’s to stop us from reviving living celebrities who aren’t necessarily in their prime? Britney Spears would never have had to get her life back on track – we could just produce a holographic version to beg us for “one more time.”

If you think that’s bad, just wait until performers start getting really lazy. Forget lip-syncing scandals. What happens when Saturday Night Live viewers discover [insert pop tart name here] was actually sunning on the beach in Rio during her flawless performance?

There’s something to be said about allowing our dead to rest in peace. Conjuring their visages for “live” performances, while well intentioned, is doing a disservice to the amazing performers they were in life

Brian Quinn
06-15-2012, 01:03 PM
I would prefer to see a Virtual Elvis any day than an impersonator. However, when someone dies there is always a faction who will find any further innovation to recreate the original offensive. Someone's innovation will be someone's exploitation.

I just wish the original were still with us!!!!!!!

Brian

debtdbruno
06-15-2012, 04:31 PM
I agree Brian, give me the original of course...........but he isn't here

IF and I say 'IF' an ETA does a decent job, doesn't get up his own a*se thinking he's 'Elvis' I don't have a problem.....They provide the ONLY thing which Elvis cannot do.....a live performance. If i want to watch or listen, I get an Elvis dvd or cd out........

If the hologram thing comes off I will definitely want to go see it

Jungleroom76
06-15-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't have a problem with the ETA's as long as they know to draw the line between reality and fantasy! If they know that they are an ETA, doing a tribute to Elvis, then that is fine and I've seen some great ETA's! It's the ones that live like Elvis 24/7 that are the ones (in my opinion, of course) that do the most damage to Elvis' image. If a performer can step on stage and perform as Elvis, but then step off the stage and be Joe Q. Public again, then that is fine with me and I don't have a problem with those guys in the least!! (y)

While I am curious about the whole Elvis hologram thing, and it certainly would be fascinating to see, the idea of taking a show like this out on the road would probably be too cost prohibitive to do. Imagine setting up a tour similar to ELVIS - THE CONCERT using the Elvis hologram...the tickets to the show would probably be $1,000 a piece just to afford the cost of the technology needed to put "virtual Elvis" on the stage!! :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

King Of The Whole World
06-15-2012, 08:08 PM
I don't have a problem with the ETA's as long as they know to draw the line between reality and fantasy! If they know that they are an ETA, doing a tribute to Elvis, then that is fine and I've seen some great ETA's! It's the ones that live like Elvis 24/7 that are the ones (in my opinion, of course) that do the most damage to Elvis' image. If a performer can step on stage and perform as Elvis, but then step off the stage and be Joe Q. Public again, then that is fine with me and I don't have a problem with those guys in the least!! (y)

While I am curious about the whole Elvis hologram thing, and it certainly would be fascinating to see, the idea of taking a show like this out on the road would probably be too cost prohibitive to do. Imagine setting up a tour similar to ELVIS - THE CONCERT using the Elvis hologram...the tickets to the show would probably be $1,000 a piece just to afford the cost of the technology needed to put "virtual Elvis" on the stage!! :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

I hope not Mike, I would like to see it if it is done true to form with using Elvis' voice. If not, I will not be purchasing any tickets.

KPM
06-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Thats a large leap from the idea of the hologram to wanting to get rid of the tribute artists.:hmm:
I am not a fan of the majority of tribute artists I have seen, because they just are not close to the Elvis sound or movement.
But a couple I have seen and heard have been good and with those I have no trouble with....its like remixers the good ones who really understand the music and Elvis I am fine with, its the guys in pasted on sideburns, no depth in their voices and bottle rocket type movements on stage who I have a problem with. Unfortunately the good tribute artists are like the good remixes for every 1 good one-you find 100 bad ones.
As far as hologram vs Tribute artist-no way to know because we have not seen/heard the hologram.

Snake Eyes
06-15-2012, 08:30 PM
There is obviously a market for ETAs or there wouldn't be any, I've only seen one guy and he was good. The more I think about it, the more it seems plausible that virtual Elvis may only guest star at big festivals or similar events. I can't see a tour, as like Jungleroom76 stated, the price of tickets will be sky high.

Jeanine
06-15-2012, 08:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=demh7Whc96s

debtdbruno
06-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Thats a large leap from the idea of the hologram to wanting to get rid of the tribute artists.:hmm:
I am not a fan of the majority of tribute artists I have seen, because they just are not close to the Elvis sound or movement.
But a couple I have seen and heard have been good and with those I have no trouble with....its like remixers the good ones who really understand the music and Elvis I am fine with, its the guys in pasted on sideburns, no depth in their voices and bottle rocket type movements on stage who I have a problem with. Unfortunately the good tribute artists are like the good remixes for every 1 good one-you find 100 bad ones.
As far as hologram vs Tribute artist-no way to know because we have not seen/heard the hologram.

I'm curious Ken......what's this movement?:D:D:D

Brian Quinn
06-16-2012, 11:43 AM
I think that without a doubt there will be an Elvis Hologram Tour along the lines of 'Elvis In Concert'. There is no way that EPE would miss out on such a money spinner.

Brian

Nicole Presley
06-16-2012, 09:45 PM
I don´t like impersonaters. But I´d like to see an Elvis hologram!

vivaelvis
06-18-2012, 12:16 AM

TCB!
Mike

Interesting that you mention this as the Cirque Du Soleil Michael Jackson's Immortal hasn't done as they anticipated and has had to cancel several shows on its world tour before it even making it to Vegas. But, that's not because tickets are so expensive. Just that it's not appealing to the mass as they thought it would be. The same happened with Viva Elvis.

But as for a hologram Elvis, should a world tour be done, look for it to be along the lines of the current Elvis In Concert production, only with newer technology and a new band. It cost around $400,000 just for the 4 minute dancing/rapping Tupac. Imagine what the cost would be for a 30-song hip shaking Elvis show.:supriced:

IMO, most likely, from what all has been reported, the hologram Elvis will be at Graceland as part of their expansion to lure in new fans and age groups, and for television and possibly movie productions.

KPM
06-18-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm curious Ken......what's this movement?:D:D:D
Good question-odd description for sure.
Totally spazzed out-like jump, skip, hop-duck down.....you know some of the impersonators featured in the original TTWII were like that-its sad to watch ......Elvis in his 69-72 prime was explosive but also very smooth in his movements he was majestic-in movement... not the court jester.
In the 50s he was explosive but raw and untamed-but still not like an out of control bottle rocket.