PDA

View Full Version : 70s beat 50s and 60s

boquo2
06-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Interesting to note in the photo galleries the 70s has more photos and more posts than the 50s and 60s combined. Is that the era you prefer?

hounddog
06-12-2012, 05:32 AM
it's my favourite era photo wise because i was born in 1970.

boquo2
06-12-2012, 05:48 AM
I was born a bit before that but became a fan in the 70s

Nicole Presley
06-12-2012, 12:54 PM
I like the way he looked the most in the 70s.

Snake Eyes
06-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Looks-wise, I'm all over 70s Elvis (y)

elvia7
06-12-2012, 01:33 PM
I love Elvis from all the eras, but I prefer 70(y)

Tommy
06-12-2012, 01:39 PM
This question is very hard for me to answer, I love all from every year............(y) I can't just pick one.

debtdbruno
06-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Interesting to note in the photo galleries the 70s has more photos and more posts than the 50s and 60s combined. Is that the era you prefer?

is it because there's more footage (concert pictures) do you think?

His 'best' look to me was 68/69/70.....so sexy,and hair and sideburns were just right

hounddog
06-12-2012, 10:32 PM
i think another factor was cameras became more accessable to people in the 70's. Cameras cost a lot in the 50's. When i did a bit of study on photography we looked at camera cost then and now and in 1956 a camera started at around $70 and in the 1970's you could get a camera for around $20 and pick up secondhand one much cheaper. Which was still a lot of money. I remember doing our fortnightly groceries for about $30 in the mid to late $70

Raised on Rock
06-12-2012, 11:06 PM
i think another factor was cameras became more accessable to people in the 70's. Cameras cost a lot in the 50's. When i did a bit of study on photography we looked at camera cost then and now and in 1956 a camera started at around $70 and in the 1970's you could get a camera for around $20 and pick up secondhand one much cheaper. Which was still a lot of money. I remember doing our fortnightly groceries for about $30 in the mid to late $70

I think mostly that is the reason. During the 50's personal cameras where not that common, so most of the teenager in the Elvis mania rarely took pics of Elvis, photos came from press and other media and just a a bit came from his fans. During the 60's he spend most of his time secluded either at home or at movie studios so it was harder to get a pic of him than in the 50's or 70's.

By the 70's as Hound Dog tells cameras where much more affortable for everybody. plus, Elvis went back on tour and became more public than the previous decade, those two factors combined made that then unlike back in the 50's we got pictures of every aspect of his life on tour done not just by the media but from any fan waiting for him. Yet, pictures of Elvis at home just relaxing with friends of family or in the recording studio working became less available than during the 50's pr 60's period post '71.

KPM
06-12-2012, 11:50 PM
I think mostly that is the reason. During the 50's personal cameras where not that common, so most of the teenager in the Elvis mania rarely took pics of Elvis, photos came from press and other media and just a a bit came from his fans. During the 60's he spend most of his time secluded either at home or at movie studios so it was harder to get a pic of him than in the 50's or 70's.

By the 70's as Hound Dog tells cameras where much more affortable for everybody. plus, Elvis went back on tour and became more public than the previous decade, those two factors combined made that then unlike back in the 50's we got pictures of every aspect of his life on tour done not just by the media but from any fan waiting for him. Yet, pictures of Elvis at home just relaxing with friends of family or in the recording studio working became less available than during the 50's pr 60's period post '71.
Spot on (y)

boquo2
06-13-2012, 02:43 AM
It may also be a reflection of our age and when we started liking Elvis (i.e. in the 70s for me)

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-14-2012, 11:01 AM
I am a fan of the Jumpsuits, so for me I gravitate to the 70's, however I am a fan of the whole package, Elvis had moments in the 60's which surpass anything in the 70's IMO, the 68 Special is Iconic, probably more so that the Aloha show which seems to be the pinnacle that sums up the 70's concert period. Elvis looked good in each decade of the 50's 60's & 70's, there were also periods were he didn't look so good in all of those periods.

But to sum it up, it's all about the availability of camera's :P

Albert
06-14-2012, 05:20 PM
With few camera's available in the 50s, most of the available pictures are either shot by newspapers or for publicity use by record- and movie companies. Same goes for the 60s. And since Elvis rarely appeared publicly in the 60s (through live performances), it was difficult to photograph Elvis. Portable camera's were big, so shooting a candid picture of Elvis just walking or riding somewhere was not a spontaneous happening.

In the 70s Elvis did 1000 performances, of which many in Las Vegas. This makes it easier to take your camera with you and 'shoot Elvis'. It would also make it easier when Elvis performed in your town, to wait near Elvis' hotel, arena entrance and the airport, to catch a glimpse of the King.

So I don't think the amount of available pictures in the gallery is a measure of a popularity perse. But I know that the 70s as a period is more popular among the younger Elvisfans. I will look into the statistics of the galleries, if a certain decade not only has more pictures, but also more visits and comments.

I personally prefer the 70s, because there's so much more to talk about due to all those fantastic jumpsuits that can even be point back to certain shows (with even more things to talk about)

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner