PDA

View Full Version : Elvis' crypt to be auctioned off

vivaelvis
05-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Yes, you read that correctly. Elvis' original burial is to be auctioned off to the highest bidder in July at the Forest Hill Cemetery in Memphis. The starting bid is $100,000 USD. Here's the video link to the bizarre story.
http://wreg.com/2012/05/28/former-elvis-crypt-for-sale/

King Of The Whole World
05-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Yes I saw this story, it is really getting around right now. I thought they tried to sell it a few years ago and no one wanted it. But this time it seems to be getting a lot of media coverage, so it might sell. I hope it doesn't but not a huge deal to me if it does. If I could I would buy it just so someone couldn't be buried there. I have never been there to see it but I know fans still go there to place flowers at the door to the crypt.

KPM
05-29-2012, 10:03 PM
I saw that earlier today-Forest Hill owns it they can do what they want I guess........good or bad taste....they can sell it.
Nothing surprizes me.

vivaelvis
05-29-2012, 10:17 PM
To me, it's tasteless and creepy. Just another way to make some cash off of Elvis' name.

King Of The Whole World
05-29-2012, 10:30 PM
I can understand that Forest Hills would like to sell it though, they see the amount of money they could make. They are a business for the dead.

I wonder if Graceland would be as popular today if Elvis was still buried at Forest Hills? That is what also makes Graceland special is because Elvis is there.

KPM
05-29-2012, 10:59 PM
I can understand that Forest Hills would like to sell it though, they see the amount of money they could make. They are a business for the dead.

I wonder if Graceland would be as popular today if Elvis was still buried at Forest Hills? That is what also makes Graceland special is because Elvis is there.
Well also Forest Hill must contend with people tramping over their cemetary to see the crypt and they make no money off of those who kill the grass, tie up the drives, make it harder for others to visit their own family members buried there...so if they sell it they have a win win.

vivaelvis
05-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Well also Forest Hill must contend with people tramping over their cemetary to see the crypt and they make no money off of those who kill the grass, tie up the drives, make it harder for others to visit their own family members buried there...so if they sell it they have a win win.

There isn't any grass to trample. It's a mausoleum, not a grave. There's a paved walkway leading right up to the front doors.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article852103.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Elvis+Presley's+tomb+could+be+yours+-+For+the+right+price+loved+ones+can+rest+in+peace+ in+the+tomb+of+The+King

KPM
05-30-2012, 03:09 AM
There isn't any grass to trample. It's a mausoleum, not a grave. There's a paved walkway leading right up to the front doors.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article852103.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Elvis+Presley's+tomb+could+be+yours+-+For+the+right+price+loved+ones+can+rest+in+peace+ in+the+tomb+of+The+King
Yes and we all know how people always follow the rules and use the paved walks:blush:
Jim Morrisons grave is such a problem that other people in the cemetary have complained numerous times about crowds and tramped flowers and damaged tombstones......I see tombstones all around the mausoleum......hum.......maybe a few people do not follow the rules.. I imagine.

vivaelvis
05-30-2012, 03:25 AM
Yes and we all know how people always follow the rules and use the paved walks:blush:
Jim Morrisons grave is such a problem that other people in the cemetary have complained numerous times about crowds and tramped flowers and damaged tombstones......I see tombstones all around the mausoleum......hum.......maybe a few people do not follow the rules.. I imagine.

Ken, you're reaching with that one. There's not even enough public tourist traffic to wrinkle the grass around the graves. The only people who go there are the few die hards who even are aware that's where he originally was buried. Everyone else couldn't care less as he's no longer there. The graves you see are nowhere near the actual building. It just looks closer. And yes, they DO force people to respect the dead and stay off of graves. Just as any other cemetery would.

Tommy
05-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Let them sell it, I don't care, ELVIS is not there.

KPM
05-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Ken, you're reaching with that one. There's not even enough public tourist traffic to wrinkle the grass around the graves. The only people who go there are the few die hards who even are aware that's where he originally was buried. Everyone else couldn't care less as he's no longer there. The graves you see are nowhere near the actual building. It just looks closer. And yes, they DO force people to respect the dead and stay off of graves. Just as any other cemetery would.
Heres a line from the article you posted my friend that does mention problems with tourists:

The cemetery has coped with the visitors, and left the place empty since the late 1970’s but now they’ve said it’s time to make a business decision and sell the crypt.

COPED -means had various problems with

Important

Inspiring

King Of The Whole World
05-30-2012, 06:06 PM
If anybody wants to, Elvis Matters has a link to sign a petition to stop the Elvis crypt from being auctioned off. Here is the link.

http://www.elvismatters.com/petities/index.php

KPM
05-30-2012, 06:33 PM
If anybody wants to, Elvis Matters has a link to sign a petition to stop the Elvis crypt from being auctioned off. Here is the link.

http://www.elvismatters.com/petities/index.php
Thank you for the link!

Nicole Presley
05-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Is there anything else than voting against it we can do about it?

KPM
05-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Not really because its their property to sell as they see fit regardless of taste.

King Of The Whole World
05-31-2012, 09:44 PM

I kind of doubt it. It might take 100,000 signatures or more to make them change their minds. We are talking about money now.

I would just like to see someone who has a lot of money buy it and never use it, just keep it like it is for the fans.

Nicole Presley
05-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Can´t just all Elvis fans around the world buy it together? If everyone pays a little bit we could get the money together.

Nicole Presley
05-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Why is it on ebay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270978060287 If it will be auctioned on June 23rd, then why is it on ebay? And why for only 2500$? To me it´s worth much more. There are two crypts on ebay. Is the second one the one of Gladys?

King Of The Whole World
06-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Why is it on ebay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270978060287 If it will be auctioned on June 23rd, then why is it on ebay? And why for only 2500$? To me it´s worth much more. There are two crypts on ebay. Is the second one the one of Gladys?

I bet its a joke or a scam. I sure wouldn't trust this person.

Polk-Salad-Annie
06-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Thank you for the link!

I have signed it

Diane
06-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Let them sell it, I don't care, ELVIS is not there.

That's also how I feel. I'm surprised they didn't sell it soon after he was moved to Graceland.

Tommy
06-01-2012, 10:17 PM
That's also how I feel. I'm surprised they didn't sell it soon after he was moved to Graceland.
(y).......................:clap:

King Of The Whole World
06-24-2012, 04:44 PM
They have pulled the Elvis crypt off the auction.

BREAKING NEWS - YES WE DID IT!! The online petition that ElvisMatters started to prevent the sale of Elvis's crypt and the Letter of Protest that we handed to the management of Forest Hill made auction house Julian's decide to pull the crypt from the auction block! What a success! We have just proven that fans can stand united! With the effort of ElvisMatters, the help of fan clubs all over the world and the support of over 10,000 fans who signed our petition, the crypt will remain empty - as it should!

Here's the official press release in English: "Elvis Presley’s crypt has left the auction block. Celebrity auctioneer Darren Julien said Friday that his company has agreed not to sell the crypt after fans worldwide demanded that it be kept as a shrine to his memory. (= the petition) Julien’s Auctions announced in May that it would sell the empty tomb at the Forest Hill Cemetery in Memphis, Tenn., at its “Music Icons” auction Sunday. Julien said the company won’t sell the crypt “until Forest Hills finds a plan that best suits the interests of the fans while respecting and preserving the memory of Elvis Presley.” Presley was interred there alongside his mother, Gladys, after he died Aug. 16, 1977. Two months later, they were reburied at his Graceland home. The original crypt has remained empty ever since."

Nicole Presley
06-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Good! :clap: I´m really glad the didn´t sell it! :clap:

KPM
06-24-2012, 05:58 PM
For a change someone does the right thing-(y)

Snake Eyes
06-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Personally, I'm glad it's off the market as even though Elvis isn't there, he was and for that reason alone, it will always hold significant interest to fans. It would be interesting to know if Forest Hills had any serious offers though.

King Of The Whole World
06-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Personally, I'm glad it's off the market as even though Elvis isn't there, he was and for that reason alone, it will always hold significant interest to fans. It would be interesting to know if Forest Hills had any serious offers though.

My guess is they will probably make it to where you have to pay $5 or $10 bucks to visit the crypt. I bet they will figure some way to make money off of it.

debtdbruno
06-25-2012, 10:32 AM
My guess is they will probably make it to where you have to pay $5 or $10 bucks to visit the crypt. I bet they will figure some way to make money off of it.

yeh, your probably right.....lol

Diane
06-25-2012, 03:11 PM

But what's the point? Elvis isn't there! I just don't understand the attachment to that place...he's at Graceland...that I CAN understand.

Jeanine
06-25-2012, 03:32 PM
But what's the point? Elvis isn't there! I just don't understand the attachment to that place...he's at Graceland...that I CAN understand.
That's how I see it. It belongs to Forest Hills. Why shouldn't they sell it? Elvis is at Graceland. Some things people complain about makes absolutely no sense to me.

Snake Eyes
06-26-2012, 06:56 PM

Because he was there, albeit briefly, so it gains notoriety. I doubt I would go there, but I can also understand that some people would. It is just another part of Elvis history.

KPM
06-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Neither do I, but I recall someone bought an old outside TV antenna that was once used at Graceland for $1100.00 at some auction years back-did not understand that either but to some it was owned by Elvis...........(;)I'm sure Elvis climbed on the roof and adjusted it a time or two....or perhaps used his Colt 45 to try and move the antenna on the roof for a better signal)

Unchained Melody
07-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't care honestly whether it sold or not, elvis is not there, and anyone who would buy that i find it a tad creepy. each to there own though everybody sells everything nowdays.