PDA

View Full Version : Raw interview video with the Godmother of the American Queen (Priscilla Presley)

vivaelvis
04-28-2012, 05:11 AM
Here's a video of Priscilla in Memphis today as she anchored off the American Queen steamboat from the new Beale Street Landing. She says that in a couple of months Graceland will have its 18 millionth visitor. She says she's very proud of Memphis and its growth. She failed to mention its crime and deterioration though. LOL

http://wreg.com/2012/04/27/priscilla-presley-christens-the-american-queen/

King Of The Whole World
04-28-2012, 06:56 AM
I saw her on CNN yesterday talking about Memphis. The funny part was the interviewer asked her, what would Elvis think of the music today? She said he was a big fan of music in general, liked all music from gospel to rock and roll. The lady then asked her would Elvis like rap music? Priscilla at first was trying to think of how to avoid the question by not saying Elvis would have hated it. But she said he would like some rap. The lady ended on that question and was laughing, I think she was thinking the same thing I was thinking.....BS.

I don't know if I can find the video of it.

debtdbruno
04-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Well......what can I say?.....if Elvis didn't like it, all I can say he would have good taste......LOL

Diane
04-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Well......what can I say?.....if Elvis didn't like it, all I can say he would have good taste......LOL

LOL I agree, I doubt if Elvis would have liked it. I'm not a fan of rap music either but I do like some reggae.

vivaelvis
04-28-2012, 04:41 PM
I saw her on CNN yesterday talking about Memphis. The funny part was the interviewer asked her, what would Elvis think of the music today? She said he was a big fan of music in general, liked all music from gospel to rock and roll. The lady then asked her would Elvis like rap music? Priscilla at first was trying to think of how to avoid the question by not saying Elvis would have hated it. But she said he would like some rap. The lady ended on that question and was laughing, I think she was thinking the same thing I was thinking.....BS.

There's no way for sure to know what he would have been listening to at 77 years of age. However, he would not have been your typical old man. Elvis was already scared to death at 39 afraid of turning 40 and growing old and having grey hair. Elvis was always into the new music scene and commented on it during the comeback special. He performed modern day songs by other artists at his concerts routinely.

As for would he have liked rap. There's no way anyone (including Priscilla) can say he wouldn't. Although it's possible that he would have liked it years ago when it was likable back in the 80's and 90's. Just because you and I do not care for it doesn't mean that he wouldn't have either. Klein, Schilling, West, and others have all commented in the past that Elvis would have liked some rap artists. Rap is today what the blues were back in Elvis' youth. I'm sure he would have given it a chance and viewed it with an open mind. He probably would have even invited the local Memphis rappers like Three-Six Mafia and Yo Gotti to Graceland. Unfortunately, we'll never know.:'(

KPM
04-28-2012, 05:32 PM
There's no way for sure to know what he would have been listening to at 77 years of age. However, he would not have been your typical old man. Elvis was already scared to death at 39 afraid of turning 40 and growing old and having grey hair. Elvis was always into the new music scene and commented on it during the comeback special. He performed modern day songs by other artists at his concerts routinely.

As for would he have liked rap. There's no way anyone (including Priscilla) can say he wouldn't. Although it's possible that he would have liked it years ago when it was likable back in the 80's and 90's. Just because you and I do not care for it doesn't mean that he wouldn't have either. Klein, Schilling, West, and others have all commented in the past that Elvis would have liked some rap artists. Rap is today what the blues were back in Elvis' youth. I'm sure he would have given it a chance and viewed it with an open mind. He probably would have even invited the local Memphis rappers like Three-Six Mafia and Yo Gotti to Graceland. Unfortunately, we'll never know.:'(
I can tell you Chuck Berry hates rap music-the reason being is he does not consider it music, basically backbeat with spoken monotone words which rhyme. He has spoke on KMOX radio in his hometown of St Louis a couple times about his dislike for rap.
I can say definitely, Elvis may have not hated all rap-but he would have hated the negative rap, and the lifestyle it seems to push.
Blues and rap are miles apart-most rap is pounding like sledge hammers and lets face it repetitive....blues has a soul that spoke to Elvis and speaks to us all-rap just does not have that IMO.
I once had a discussion with another member here and we debated the negativity of rap-I pointed out that on a recent newshow on CNN back then it was stated 70% of rap was negative in tone toward woman, race issues, promoting gangs. policeman, and laws.....he countered that the same thing was said about rocks music in 1956............I asked him how many songs from the 50s spoke of woman like "bi****es" to be treated violently.....or spoke of killing policeman or cheating the system, disobeying laws, using drugs etc......also I pointed out rap is the only music I know
of in which people actually kill other rap stars.......I listed about 10-15 drive by shootings and murders directly connected to the rap industry and its artists/producers.
Rap that advocates and pushes those type messages-would not be something Elvis would have liked or listened to.
As far as bringing local rappers to Graceland-perhaps if he had changed his lifestyle totally and suddenly became a social butterfly with newcomers-he might have invited some rappers to his home....but that seems doubtful.

vivaelvis
04-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I can tell you Chuck Berry hates rap music-the reason being is he does not consider it music, basically backbeat with spoken monotone words which rhyme. He has spoke on KMOX radio in his hometown of St Louis a couple times about his dislike for rap.
I can say definitely, Elvis may have not hated all rap-but he would have hated the negative rap, and the lifestyle it seems to push.
Blues and rap are miles apart-most rap is pounding like sledge hammers and lets face it repetitive....blues has a soul that spoke to Elvis and speaks to us all-rap just does not have that IMO.
I once had a discussion with another member here and we debated the negativity of rap-I pointed out that on a recent newshow on CNN back then it was stated 70% of rap was negative in tone toward woman, race issues, promoting gangs. policeman, and laws.....he countered that the same thing was said about rocks music in 1956............I asked him how many songs from the 50s spoke of woman like "bi****es" to be treated violently.....or spoke of killing policeman or cheating the system, disobeying laws, using drugs etc......also I pointed out rap is the only music I know
of in which people actually kill other rap stars.......I listed about 10-15 drive by shootings and murders directly connected to the rap industry and its artists/producers.
Rap that advocates and pushes those type messages-would not be something Elvis would have liked or listened to.
As far as bringing local rappers to Graceland-perhaps if he had changed his lifestyle totally and suddenly became a social butterfly with newcomers-he might have invited some rappers to his home....but that seems doubtful.

I agree with you on the negativity of rap music. The rap today is NOT the rap of the 80's. It all changed to the negative side when that west coast rap/thug/gansta style came in and poisoned society. It's no coincidence that crime began to skyrocket once rap music became gansta rap.

I do disagree with your last sentence though. Elvis himself invited strangers into his home, some right off the rough streets of Memphis in the 70's. In the 50's, he invited a former inmate who was a blues singer to Graceland. This was when one of Elvis' relatives refused to shake the man's hand and Elvis threatened to send them back to Tupelo. Those past facts leads me to believe that he would have opened his doors too to those local rappers as well.

Back when I was going to school in Memphis in the early 90's, I used to listen to rap daily with all the other white and black kids around me. But as I grew older, and saw the negative influence that it has had on society, I no longer can even stand to listen to it today. It's music of racism for one thing and that rubs me the wrong way.

KPM
04-28-2012, 06:15 PM
I agree with you on the negativity of rap music. The rap today is NOT the rap of the 80's. It all changed to the negative side when that west coast rap/thug/gansta style came in and poisoned society. It's no coincidence that crime began to skyrocket once rap music became gansta rap.

I do disagree with your last sentence though. Elvis himself invited strangers into his home, some right off the rough streets of Memphis in the 70's. In the 50's, he invited a former inmate who was a blues singer to Graceland. This was when one of Elvis' relatives refused to shake the man's hand and Elvis threatened to send them back to Tupelo. Those past facts leads me to believe that he would have opened his doors too to those local rappers as well.

Back when I was going to school in Memphis in the early 90's, I used to listen to rap daily with all the other white and black kids around me. But as I grew older, and saw the negative influence that it has had on society, I no longer can even stand to listen to it today. It's music of racism for one thing and that rubs me the wrong way.
If he did-its not in many books I have read or interviews I have heard with the Wests, Joe, Jerry, George, as a matter of fact they all point to 1968s killing of Martin Luther King in Memphis as somewhat of a turning point to..... a little more concern for home safety and strangers in general. So if he invited many strangers off the streets-it must have been the exception not the rule for normal everyday life. The guys were not allowed to bring their wives or girlfriends unless they already had cleared it with Elvis. Local talent I just do not recall any stories about local talent being invited to Graceland-but if it ever happened it also seems to be the exception, not the rule.
Elvis was getting a little paranoid about "nuts" who might want to kill him by the 70s.
Not hard to understand why, with so many crazy threats.
Some rap I have liked, Nelly, Tanye West, LL-Cool J, Will Smith mostly positive messages and a little less pounding.

vivaelvis
04-28-2012, 06:22 PM
If he did-its not in many books I have read or interviews I have heard with the Wests, Joe, Jerry, George, as a matter of fact they all point to 1968s killing of Martin Luther King in Memphis as somewhat of a turning point to..... a little more concern for home safety and strangers in general. So if he invited many strangers off the streets-it must have been the exception not the rule for normal everyday life. The guys were not allowed to bring their wives or girlfriends unless they already had cleared it with Elvis. Local talent I just do not recall any stories about local talent being invited to Graceland-but if it ever happened it also seems to be the exception, not the rule.
Elvis was getting a little paranoid about "nuts" who might want to kill him by the 70s.
Not hard to understand why, with so many crazy threats.
Some rap I have liked, Nelly, Tanye West, LL-Cool J, Will Smith mostly positive messages and a little less pounding.

I don't have the exact book it was in but the story goes that Elvis, Myrna Smith, Linda Thompson and I believe Jerry Schilling were riding around Memphis when Elvis' care broke down. He saw two black guys fighting across the street at a gas station, he walked over to them and broke up the fight then asked them if they would kindly give him and his friends a ride back to Graceland. When they did, Elvis then invited them to stay over night as his guest and had his cook to make them up something to eat.

KPM
04-28-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't have the exact book it was in but the story goes that Elvis, Myrna Smith, Linda Thompson and I believe Jerry Schilling were riding around Memphis when Elvis' care broke down. He saw two black guys fighting across the street at a gas station, he walked over to them and broke up the fight then asked them if they would kindly give him and his friends a ride back to Graceland. When they did, Elvis then invited them to stay over night as his guest and had his cook to make them up something to eat.
I recall the story of Elvis breaking up a fight at a gas station-that happened in 1975-76 but do not recall mention of his car breaking down nor about the guys taking them to Graceland. Its in a couple of books.
The story was that Elvis was willing to fight to break up the fight between the 2-the police were called and the officer said he was happy the fight was stopped but not happy that Elvis was willing to fight to break up-a fight.

Found this on the net it Happened in Madison Wi. and a roadside marker now is on the spot where it happened.
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_elvis_madison_incident.html

King Of The Whole World
04-28-2012, 07:43 PM
KPM,

Here is the video of the article you posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pDSkCyCXZw&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL8D4567452861C9D5

KPM
04-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Thank you my friend, for finding that video.

vivaelvis
04-28-2012, 09:04 PM
I recall the story of Elvis breaking up a fight at a gas station-that happened in 1975-76 but do not recall mention of his car breaking down nor about the guys taking them to Graceland. Its in a couple of books.
The story was that Elvis was willing to fight to break up the fight between the 2-the police were called and the officer said he was happy the fight was stopped but not happy that Elvis was willing to fight to break up-a fight.

Found this on the net it Happened in Madison Wi. and a roadside marker now is on the spot where it happened.
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_elvis_madison_incident.html

Thanks for the link. That was pretty cool! (y)

However, I this isn't the same story that I was referring to. The men in my story were African American. One of which had a gun on them. Linda Thompson has told the story before in TV interviews. She even mentioned that she thought that they were going to be robbed and killed that night and how Elvis was flashing money around in the car. I wished I could find it to prove my story is true. Anyway. the 2 guys gave Elvis and his friends a ride back to Graceland and Elvis was so gracious about it that he requested for one of the cooks to make them a nice hot meal for the troubles.

KPM
04-28-2012, 09:42 PM

However, I this isn't the same story that I was referring to. The men in my story were African American. One of which had a gun on them. Linda Thompson has told the story before in TV interviews. She even mentioned that she thought that they were going to be robbed and killed that night and how Elvis was flashing money around in the car. I wished I could find it to prove my story is true. Anyway. the 2 guys gave Elvis and his friends a ride back to Graceland and Elvis was so gracious about it that he requested for one of the cooks to make them a nice hot meal for the troubles.
If you can find that post the link. I honestly have never heard a peep about this.
It seems that story would be well known-especially since you mention one guy allegedly had a gun.
I'll look around and try to find that one myself-if Linda told the story on TV its here on the Internet somewhere....and if its on the Internet I should be able to locate it eventually.

King Of The Whole World
04-28-2012, 09:44 PM

I sure would like to see that interview, not that I don't believe you. We all have read and seen so much that we forget where we saw certain comments or interviews.

vivaelvis
04-28-2012, 09:50 PM
If you can find that post the link. I honestly have never heard a peep about this.
It seems that story would be well known-especially since you mention one guy allegedly had a gun.
I'll look around and try to find that one myself-if Linda told the story on TV its here on the Internet somewhere....and if its on the Internet I should be able to locate it eventually.

Not everything that's ever been on TV is online. I would say maybe 10% of everything is available through some outlet. Definitely not all. But I hope you do find it to prove my story as fact.(y)

KPM
04-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Not everything that's ever been on TV is online. I would say maybe 10% of everything is available through some outlet. Definitely not all. But I hope you do find it to prove my story as fact.(y)
Well I would agree not everything is on the net-but when it comes to Elvis much of it does end up in some form on the Internet-if not the actual footage then a transcript of the interview.l
But just a quick look at your basic premise has only shown one story-from Linda, Myrna Smith and others concerning a car break down, a gun involved.... but there is no mention of 2-men fighting, one having a gun, so I will post this link because it has similar elements to your premise. You originally mentioned a book that included the story if you could remember the title-I have about 60 books (have actually read probably another 20 but do not own them)and just do not recall this item.
I always judge something by how often the same thing is mentioned in differing places, who makes the claim in the book or interview.......the more verifiable an item is by multiple sources gives it creedance. Lets face it-Elvis is well documented for his entire career to death and his life is a pretty open book.
Why is this important to me? (and IMO should be important to all fans)
Because so many things are said, or printed about Elvis that have only a grain of truth, half truths, or even total lies which end up being taken as gospel....most of the time innocently and unintentionally....so please do not think its personal-its not....I expect the same of myself-and if someone wants to know where I got info from.... I will do my best to find the source to let them feel good about passing on that info to others.

I think you have seen if I post something which is questioned I will work my rear off to find the source if I can not recall it-and if can not find it I will say so.
But here is the link to the one I found which meets some of the items you mention.
http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvis_presleys_1971_de_tomaso_pantera.shtml

King Of The Whole World
04-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Can you imagine driving down Elvis Presley Blvd and seeing Elvis pulling out of the driveway? That would be the best thing in the world.

ELVIS_
04-29-2012, 02:06 AM
They called the ship "The American Queen?" Are they serious? it's an oxymoreon but Why hide it anymore.
She's the complete opposite of Elvis.

rocknroll
04-29-2012, 04:10 PM
I have the article as it was reported in the newspaper in 1977. I cut it out. I'll have to see if I can dig it up. I do remember the reporter saying Elvis was 42, same as his waistline.

It was 2 white guys, Elvis' car didn't breakdown, he was just driving by. He got out, struck a karate pose and asked if they wanted to take him on. It ended with the guys shaking hands.

Nicole Presley
04-29-2012, 09:36 PM

Can someone please find the video? I wanna see it! :D

King Of The Whole World
04-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Can someone please find the video? I wanna see it! :D

I did look the other day and I could not find it. If I do, I will post it.

King Of The Whole World
04-29-2012, 10:25 PM
I did find the video on CNN. I guess it took them a few days to load on their website. Listen close and you can hear the lady laugh when Priscilla answers the question about rap and then the camera points back at her.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/04/27/exp-nr-suzanne-malveaux-priscilla-presley-american-queen-boat-elvis-legacy.cnn

vivaelvis
04-29-2012, 10:50 PM
I did find the video on CNN. I guess it took them a few days to load on their website. Listen close and you can hear the lady laugh when Priscilla answers the question about rap and then the camera points back at her.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/04/27/exp-nr-suzanne-malveaux-priscilla-presley-american-queen-boat-elvis-legacy.cnn

I personally didn't see anything unusual from neither lady. The woman's grin was normal as she did it a couple times prior to that question. Priscilla always pauses before answering a question. You have to remember, Elvis wouldn't be your average 77 year old. The man invented the word "swag".

King Of The Whole World
04-29-2012, 11:27 PM
I personally didn't see anything unusual from neither lady. The woman's grin was normal as she did it a couple times prior to that question. Priscilla always pauses before answering a question. You have to remember, Elvis wouldn't be your average 77 year old. The man invented the word "swag".

Yes I can see what you are saying. If you listen to that part with some headphones you can hear her kinda laugh, when Priscilla says some rap.

I will never agree that Elvis would like some rap. I can't imagine Elvis saying, ah hey Lamar put some rap on, I want to hear Tupac. :lmfao:

Nicole Presley
04-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Itīs obvious that Priscilla is lying. :lmfao:

Diane
04-30-2012, 03:10 PM
From what I remember of the video Priscilla didn't lie, she laughed off the question and didn't really answer it.

vivaelvis
04-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Let's go back to the 50's for a moment. They asked Elvis in sarcasm why he liked the blues and he told them "there's some good stuff in there if people would only give it a chance". I think he would say the same about today's music including SOME rap. Not all of it is derogatory or gangsta. And even though I am not a fan of Hip Hop, it's not rap. It's an urban style of music and rhythm.

And to be quite honest, country music today isn't as clean as it once was. So who's to say that he would like today's country sound? Although I think he would like some of it.

KPM
04-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Let's go back to the 50's for a moment. They asked Elvis in sarcasm why he liked the blues and he told them "there's some good stuff in there if people would only give it a chance". I think he would say the same about today's music including SOME rap. Not all of it is derogatory or gangsta. And even though I am not a fan of Hip Hop, it's not rap. It's an urban style of music and rhythm.

And to be quite honest, country music today isn't as clean as it once was. So who's to say that he would like today's country sound? Although I think he would like some of it.

Theres a difference between risque-and absolutely dirty-very few country singers has ever recorded songs with expletives like f**k, sh**
Cu**, etc nor about killing police-sure country has gotten more risque but come a lot of RAP is laced with hard core sex talk, or speaking of abusing women.
Elvis liked blues because it was a music about common misery among people, it was a comfort music for those with problems, RAP is born from anger, and yes some hate for others......

kathy parkinson
04-30-2012, 04:29 PM
From what I remember of the video Priscilla didn't lie, she laughed off the question and didn't really answer it.

I got that too Diane, i certainly don't think the reporter was laughing at her, nice interview i thought.

poor boy
04-30-2012, 05:07 PM
My god the woman is more plastic now than human , She looks like a bad drag queen . Somebody tell the woman to age with a bit of dignity . She looks ridiculous

Diane
04-30-2012, 05:08 PM
It was a nice interview even though personally everyone knows I don't care for the way she jumps into anything that will get her into the spotlight. Even less than Lisa, she really doesn't get the credit for what she does....it all comes from Elvis.

vivaelvis
04-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Theres a difference between risque-and absolutely dirty-very few country singers has ever recorded songs with expletives like f**k, sh**
Cu**, etc nor about killing police-sure country has gotten more risque but come a lot of RAP is laced with hard core sex talk, or speaking of abusing women.
Elvis liked blues because it was a music about common misery among people, it was a comfort music for those with problems, RAP is born from anger, and yes some hate for others...... Not all rap music has cussing or calling women *****es or about killing people. You're confusing gansta rap with hip hop rap.

vivaelvis
04-30-2012, 06:24 PM
My god the woman is more plastic now than human , She looks like a bad drag queen . Somebody tell the woman to age with a bit of dignity . She looks ridiculous

I thought that she looked like a vampire. :lol:

KPM
04-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Not all rap music has cussing or calling women *****es or about killing people. You're confusing gansta rap with hip hop rap.
The only country song I can think of with a violent tone toward woman is "Thunder Rolls" by Garth Brooks and it in fact is a comment about men who abuse woman being wrong.
Elvis while alive barely knew who Eric Clapton was, hardly knew Led Zeppelin....huge artists great music......but he was unaware.
Elvis heard a song and liked it for internal personal reasons-songs that spoke to him-current songs that he heard probably on his car radios that he liked he explored....but that did not mean he liked that artist in particular, nor that style of music-it means he liked the song and it spoke to him on a personal level.
As I said he may have liked certain soft core positive rap-but I do not think he would suddenly have a rap/hip hop conversion.

Diane
04-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Actually, I personally thought Priscilla looked better than she has in a long time. Enough of her....

I agree with Ken, MOST rap music is crude, so is hip hop, but no not all. But it is enough to put me off especially since I don't consider it singing at all.

vivaelvis
04-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Once again, Hip Hop is NOT rap. It is actual singing with an urban style. Think the blues, Soul and doo-wop mixed together with a beat. That's basically what Hip Hop is. Some Hip Hop artists like Rihanna bring in a famous rapper to help sell their albums and songs.

KPM
04-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Once again, Hip Hop is NOT rap. It is actual singing with an urban style. Think the blues, Soul and doo-wop mixed together with a beat. That's basically what Hip Hop is. Some Hip Hop artists like Rihanna bring in a famous rapper to help sell their albums and songs.
Once again I understand the difference, and my reply is still the same Elvis would not become a sudden convert to hip hop, nor to rap, nor to calypso, nor bossa nova etc, he did some bossa nova flavored songs, he did some calypso flavored songs, he did not then convert to a career of either.
He did not invite Belafontie to Graceland, nor many other artist in general. That is my reply to the idea he would be so taken with rap/hip hop that he would be inviting local rappers to Graceland.
Logical assumtions based on his history and patterns he had his whole life........if there were story after story told in books, interviews that he invited many many many strangers or musical artists to Graceland-I would agree with your assumption-that is just not the case.

King Of The Whole World
04-30-2012, 08:10 PM
I remember hearing one time that supposedly Elvis invited the Osmond’s to Graceland and Donnie said they didn’t go. I don't think so, if Elvis would have invited them they would have gone even if there legs were broken.

KPM
04-30-2012, 08:13 PM
I know country artist TG Sheppard visited Graceland before he was a singer he worked for RCA as a marketing agent or something like that and when he began to tour as an artist Elvis got him a bus and he went to Graceland for that.

King Of The Whole World
04-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Who was the guy that went to Graceland even though he had broken some ribs? He said, it was hard to breath and walk but he wouldn’t miss it for the world.