PDA

View Full Version : Your Elvis Playlist

Lisarose
03-20-2012, 08:10 PM
I just hate it when I'm listening to the Oldies programs on the radio, and they only play a very select few #1 Hits from any artist! Be it The Temptations, Diana Ross, or Elvis Presley. In my area, if it's an "up next - a tune from Elvis Presley!" I can predict with 85% accuracy which one it will be - especially in January or August!
I can always count on: Kentucky Rain-- Burning Love-- Hunk of Burning Love-- Marie's THe Name-- Devil in Disguise--
In the Ghetto-- Don't Be Cruel-- Can't Help Falling In love- - Viva Las Vegas-- Stuck on You--
Always On My Mind-- Suspicious Minds.
Did you notice that Jailhouse Rock, Trouble, Hounddog, Are You Lonesome Tonight weren't included? Yeah, they're played but not as often as those other dozen. As if they are being saved for special moments!

If I were in charge of the Playlist, I'd want to hear at least 10 different songs from the 50s, 60s and 70s, and I'd throw in some songs done live - that have Elvis changing the lyrics.
Definitely have to hear: That's Alright Mama, Paralyzed, Mess of Blues, Just Pretend, T-R-O-U-B-L-E, Mary In the Morning, Wonder of You, Little Egypt, Pocketful of Rainbows, Spanish Eyes, Goodtime Charlie's Got the Blues, any of the songs written by Tony Joe White, & Patch It Up Baby.

What's on your Playlist?

buttonhead
03-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Hy Lisa :-) we have a few similar songs on our lists :D

My playlists are vary .... For Elvis I have : T-R-O-U-B-L-E, ..I'll Never Know.. Grass Won't Pay No Mind ,.. The Last Farewell , The Love Song Of The Year, The Wonder Of You, Surrender, Suppose ( You didnt love me ), Mary In The Morning ... I'll Remember You, Let Yourself Go, .. Swing Down Sweet Chariot,.. He Touched Me , few of his Christmas songs I play all year round are ; If Everyday Like Christmas, Holly Leaves Christmas Three' ,

My Elvis playlist still goes on :) But I mostly enjoy his 70s work,... some his studio version which I dont really care BUT i do love his LIVE! version such as ' Until Its Time For You To Go... and Bridge Over Troubled Water., thats to name a few.

I have Andy Williams , Engelbert,... U2,.. Alesandro Safina, some Indonesian music ,.. but not as many as Elvis 's

I think for me i cant rely on the radio station to play Elvis songs, although there are out there who really know which one are a really good ones, I stick with Sirius....just because it comes with my cable subscriptions :D

Lisarose
03-21-2012, 05:08 AM
I would love to get Sirius, but I have to wait a while, I did do the free sample, played Elvis channel all the time!
When I came back to Elvis 15 years ago, I realized that there were so many 50s songs that I had never heard of! Especially the Sun Recordings.
Those have to be my favorite. Just so rocking good!

josephinebeau
03-28-2012, 02:09 AM
I love Elvis Radio on Sirius! I have heard songs I never knew existed and reheard songs I had forgotten about. There are also some really cool interviews with people like Jerry Schilling, Red West, Priscilla, and Lisa etc... (y)
My Elvis playlist has changed in the last year after I discovered the bootleg of Desert Storm from Sept 1974. The version of Elvis singing "It's Midnight" and saying "listen cilla" in the middle is very poignant. That has gotten me interested in songs from that era that are not very popular such as, "Pieces of My Life", "Fool", "It's Still Here" and others.
Another new discovery for me is the "Louisiana Hayride" recordings. You can buy the complete set on itunes and the dates on album range from 1954 to 1956. It is very interesting for a history nerd like myself to get an idea of what Elvis sounded like in the very beginning. When you hear him sing, "Tweede Dee" you won't believe it.:D

Lisarose
03-29-2012, 05:24 AM
Ooh! I love the Louisiana Hayride recordings! He was so energetic, talking to the Hayride Emcee - he was just tripping over his words! So much nervous energy. What I wouldn't give to have been able to see him on the Hayride Circuit or back in the 50s playing the Texas towns. I would have definitely followed him all over the state - the original groupie!