PDA

View Full Version : Songs that elicit an emotional response

Lonniebealestreet
02-19-2012, 03:56 AM
This is a very interesting analysis of the sonic properties of songs that make people cry or give them goosebumps, using Adele's Someone Like You as an example (because of the way many people react to it).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203646004577213010291701378.html

(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203646004577213010291701378.html)I wonder if any of you have such responses to any of Elvis's songs and if so, what part(s) of those songs. Also, can anyone identify some of the patterns identified in the article in any EP songs?

dennyelvis
02-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Not sure about the psycho babble, but IVE LOST YOU, DONT CRY DADDY, AMERICAN TRILOGY, and others, sure do it for me .........

debtdbruno
02-19-2012, 11:53 AM
The most obvious one to me is Unchained Melody.......
Of all the covers that Elvis did of other people's songs, I always prefer his interpretation of it.......except Unchained Melody. I love the Righteous Bros version....

The thing with UM, is the obvious connection that a few short weeks later he wouldn't be here, the way he struggles his way through (hampered I'm sure by sitting down), that cheeky grin......just makes me fill up, I want to start bawling.......I get this mixture of immense sadness....and a deep frustration, that I wanted to get hold of him and give him such a shake/slap to try to make him see what he was doing to himself.

People want to see an official release of EIC, in upgraded quality......no, not for me. I've seen what I need to see, it's enough.

Long Black Limousine
What Now My Love (in Aloha, the line 'no-one would care if I should live or die'....it's the expression on his face)
It's Easy For You
Separate Ways

there's many more of course

Joe Car
02-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Lately for me it's been Don't Cry Daddy.

spanish eyes
02-19-2012, 02:55 PM
I feel emotional when I listen to Elvis sing simply because he feels what he's singing, so he parts his heart and soul into it and I feel that.

Deb I can so relate to you about What Now My Love, that song has brought tears to my eyes.

The laughing version of Are you Lonesome Tonight is my cheer up song, cos when I hear him laugh, he lifts my spirits.

King Of The Whole World
02-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Wow already some good ones. Debtdbruno, I really like Its easy for you and What now my love are some of my favorites too. I would maybe add "Its Over". There are so many.

But the song that really sums it up for me is Bridge over troubled water. When he sings that song it makes me think about how I feel when I hear his music.... When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them off....When time gets rough and friends cant be found (Elvis will be there) I could go on and on with this song. Here is one of my favorite versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVQtDryYCc0

Erhan
02-19-2012, 05:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG6WQwdobLk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tGoVHbG4Qg

ThreeCornPatches
02-19-2012, 06:36 PM
The most obvious one to me is Unchained Melody.......
Of all the covers that Elvis did of other people's songs, I always prefer his interpretation of it.......except Unchained Melody. I love the Righteous Bros version....

The thing with UM, is the obvious connection that a few short weeks later he wouldn't be here, the way he struggles his way through (hampered I'm sure by sitting down), that cheeky grin......just makes me fill up, I want to start bawling.......I get this mixture of immense sadness....and a deep frustration, that I wanted to get hold of him and give him such a shake/slap to try to make him see what he was doing to himself.

People want to see an official release of EIC, in upgraded quality......no, not for me. I've seen what I need to see, it's enough.

Long Black Limousine
What Now My Love (in Aloha, the line 'no-one would care if I should live or die'....it's the expression on his face)
It's Easy For You
Separate Ways

there's many more of course

Unchained melody & My Way (CBS VERSION) by elvis. I Would love to see the Official release of EIC With the outtakes. what i noticed is that they talk awesome/great about the soundtrack but when it gets to the footage people get mad and go no he wasnt in a good shape
well let me tell you. Elvis was 42.Having a great voice still! And for me i love elvis in concert it was the first time i got introduced to elvis and made me became a elvisfan. Looks like people cant seem to accept his '77 look. Sure elvis was sick and lonely. But Elvis was Elvis u cant expect a guy from 42 to still do the same thing he did 20 years earlier. U cant either compare EIC to TTWII, Those where 7 years between and Elvis had alot goin on in his life between those years. EIC Will always be my favourite Elvis Documentary

debtdbruno
02-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I agree totally.........he was a middle aged Man, and to be totally honest, I thought he was a bit too thin in the 68 special, and TTWII. Physically, I would say in On Tour he looked about right....just a bit pale and a terrible hairstyle.....lol

The holiday pics of Hawaii in the March....he just looked a bit 'tubby'.....but not bad. The jumpsuits made him look far worse. It was all around the gut area, his arms and legs looked quite thin.

Regarding the vocals, I think he pulled it out of the bag with the bigger vocal songs, but more upsetting to me was the mumbling, and slightly incoherent talking.....that is not what the general public need to be re-reminded of......

Jimmy1966
02-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Well For Me It's 'Anything That's part of you'
'Love Me, Love the life i lead'
'Take my hand precious lord'
'Do You know who i am'
Theses Tracks get me all the time, And never fail to move me.

GeoElvis
02-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Everyone has some amazing songs that do get an emotional response, What Now My Love is an awesome song and performance, as is Unchained and My Way. There are so many that can Emotionally touch you, being that my Mother and Father have passed on, I cannot make it thru Mamma liked the roses or My Boy without shedding a tear, love these songs and that's why I'm even more of a fan of his music because he could make you feel the words and feel the emotions as he sang. So many to choose from! That's why he'll always be The King!! Thank U Elvis!! TCB!!

Jungleroom76
02-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Definitely an interesting topic... :hmm:

Songs like NEVER AGAIN, LOVE COMING DOWN, I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN, BITTER THEY ARE HARDER THEY FALL, and especially PIECES OF MY LIFE have to be at the top of the list for me. And if you look at this particular list, you can obviously see the connection that they are all autobiographical songs, having a deep meaning for Elvis. Thus, I think these songs really provide a true emotional response for the listener.

The live version of MY WAY from the '77 CBS special also provides an emotional response, but in the case of this particular version of the song, the response comes more from seeing the video. I don't know think the song comes across the same if you just listen to the audio versus seeing the performance. I think once a fan as seen the performance, it takes on a whole different response for the fan...if that makes any sense... :blink:

TCB!
Mike

kathy parkinson
02-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Loving Arms for me, his voice,and the way he sings it is superb, you know he is wanting to get back to his love,listen to him when he sings ''Singing somewhere in the lonely night, dreamin of the arms that held me tight''......goosebumps every time.

Diane
02-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Don't Cry Daddy probably get to me the most.
Long Black Limousine
You Gave Me A Mountain

Lonniebealestreet
02-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Loving Arms for me, his voice,and the way he sings it is superb, you know he is wanting to get back to his love,listen to him when he sings ''Singing somewhere in the lonely night, dreamin of the arms that held me tight''......goosebumps every time.

Me too. There are several others already mentioned that do the same, but this is a big one for me and it also features one of the properties the article describes:

"...unexpected deviations in the melody or the harmony. Music is most likely to tingle the spine, in short, when it includes surprises in volume, timbre and harmonic pattern."

KPM
02-20-2012, 10:59 PM
The gospel songs "Stand by Me" "Somebody Bigger than You and I" "You'll Never Walk Alone" have strong emotional contact to me.
Also "Tender Feeling" from Kissin Cousins, "Home is Where the Heart is" from Kid Galahad, "That Someone You Never Forget"
many more.... really too many to mention.

Joe Car
02-21-2012, 03:47 AM
Stand by me is another emotional song for me. Trilogy, countless others!

giulia
02-21-2012, 05:05 PM
I always cry while listening to
Green green grass of home
and I feel deeply emotioned also with
Pieces of my life and
Help me make it tru the night

Jimmy1966
02-21-2012, 07:06 PM
The power of a song is something amazing, But the power of Elvis singing a song is totally uplifting.

Jungleroom76
02-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Another one I forgot to list is THERE'S A HONKY TONK ANGEL (WHO'LL TAKE ME BACK IN)...especially when Elvis sings the line "Oh, when there's an old friend out there...and she's waiting...Lord, she's happy just holding my hand." That is some GOOD STUFF right there, especially when you listen to the emotion in his voice on some of the undubbed outtakes on the PROMISED LAND FTD release!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Tommy
02-22-2012, 01:51 PM
http://youtu.be/m9saX9cF248

The 'one and only' no one will ever sing like this again. God bless ELVIS!!

King Of The Whole World
02-22-2012, 02:46 PM
I can watch the last 30 seconds a million times!!! Nobody is like Elvis. (y)

debtdbruno
02-22-2012, 04:51 PM
..........and nobody ever will be...........

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy :notworthy:notworthy

spanish eyes
02-22-2012, 09:22 PM
He sings from his heart and soul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlMwa0FamG8&feature=related

Jungleroom76
02-22-2012, 10:38 PM
I can watch the last 30 seconds a million times!!! Nobody is like Elvis. (y)

..........and nobody ever will be...........

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy :notworthy:notworthy

:notworthy :clap: :notworthy :clap: :notworthy :clap: :notworthy :clap: :notworthy :clap: :notworthy :clap:

TCB!
Mike

buttonhead
02-23-2012, 06:59 AM
To me, many of Elvis song deserved a remake, in the world where many songs is all about heartbroken or a bollock relationships, it left me depressed to hear them, there is a difference between emotionally moved and depressed.

I think Elvis song such as ; "Mine "- the lyrics is just fantastic, makes you believe with love again, and I think that what makes elvis so different with the rest of the group is that he sings all his song with soul, he's a soulful man, even when he sang a brokenheart song, it could 'wow' you just to listen to him.. thats in particular when he sang " What Now My Love..." " The Sounds Of Your Cry " ... and " Always On My Mind "

King Of The Whole World
02-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Elvis could sing the gospel songs, couldn’t he? Its funny I have talked with people about Elvis and they will say, I wasn't the biggest Elvis fan but I have all of his gospel records. Only Elvis can bring people together that like a certain genre of music. You want country, rock, gospel or a love song Elvis has something for you. Unbelievable!! All the other artists only have one genre you can listen to. That’s why they die out and Elvis will survive forever.

samiam125
02-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Bridge Over Troubled Water

This song has and always will make me stop whatever i'm doing when listening to hit. It's haunting. One of my very favourites.