PDA

View Full Version : If Elvis...

nabelt24
01-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Here's a fun little idea.... If Elvis were alive today and recorded a new album of CURRENT TOP 40 COUNTRY HITS; what could you imagine him singing???

Remember, CURRENT TOP 40 COUNTRY HITS...

Here's some ideas...
Love's Gonna Make It Alright - George Strait
Felt Good On My Lips - Tim McGraw
God Gave Me You - Blake Shelton
Bleed Red - Ronnie Dunn
Now, what's your ideas??? Have fun!

King Of The Whole World
01-25-2012, 03:24 AM
There is a song I would like to hear Elvis sing. I guess its because this song makes me think of Elvis when I hear it. Almost like it was written about him.

Vince Gill- Go rest high on that mountain

I will think of more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtmAVGPEPSI

Jungleroom76
01-25-2012, 08:39 PM
WOW!!!! :blink:

Now THAT is an interesting question...gonna have to give this one some thought... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

cibetty
01-25-2012, 09:42 PM
I don't know too many country songs from nowadays, but I like this one. He never sang it, the 2nd one is a fantasy video, but I'm sure it would have been great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfi3SSJPG9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqqOXYag_4s

King Of The Whole World
01-25-2012, 11:49 PM
This one would be a great one to hear E sing. He would have the emotion for this song, no problem.

30 seconds in sounds familiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THtX7H6ZJi8&feature=related

ambkad
01-26-2012, 02:48 PM
This one would be a great one to hear E sing. He would have the emotion for this song, no problem.

30 seconds in sounds familiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THtX7H6ZJi8&feature=related

What a great song.

Thank you for posting.

EnigmaticSun
01-26-2012, 04:51 PM
The question is whether Elvis would have liked the "new" country music.
Artists like Tom Jones still cover decent songs, but I bet they are usually older.
The new country music and me - there was never a chemical reaction, I suppose.

Perhaps he could have gone into the direction of Johnny Cash('s later work) - if his artistic/career-related possibilities would have allowed him to do so.

Jungleroom76
01-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Perhaps he could have gone into the direction of Johnny Cash('s later work) - if his artistic/career-related possibilities would have allowed him to do so.

Excellent point!! I think that if you look at Elvis' last two albums -- FROM ELVIS PRESLEY BOULEVARD and MOODY BLUE -- you can see that is exactly where Elvis was heading at the end of his life. Elvis was almost bucking the trend in terms of what was popular at the time and chose to record songs that were personal or meant something to him on an intimate level. These last two albums in Elvis' career showed that he wasn't really interested in recording songs that were chart-oriented as much as he was interested in recording songs that perhaps gave listeners some insight into his personal feelings, emotions and life in general. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

rickb
01-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Personally I would have hoped he would have taken a broader route than US country.

Lonniebealestreet
01-27-2012, 02:14 AM
I think he probably would have, though country would most likely have been included on the menu.

I can't see him having much to do with new country though, which is mostly "lite country" or "pop country" I'd say. IMO it's not unpalatable in all cases but so much of it is a slap in the face to the real country artists of prior decades honestly. (Tangentially speaking, the same could be said of professional sports these days.) And I should say I would rather listen to that than most top 40-ish songs.

Anyway, yes, I can see him going the latter-day Johnny Cash route. It would have worked well for Elvis too. Both those guys were always quite diverse in their tastes but Johnny ventured out further than Elvis...If Elvis had been around longer than he was he probably would have too.

You know what would have been neat though? Though admittedly not the most likely scenario, imagine if Elvis had been able to team up with another great songwriter or songwriting team who really wanted to crank out some fresh material catered to that artist (like Leiber and Stoller or Pomus and Shuman) and he had a career revival that was really a rebirth of sorts and not just a very successful rejuvenation that made him even more of a cover artist than he had already been in the 70s.

Country generally speaking is such a nice fit for Elvis though so I think it is unsurprising that the responses have leaned that way. But I do believe his tastes were quite broad and were only going to keep broadening with the passage of time -- think of how his tenure in Europe changed him during his army stint. I sure wish he'd had the chance and this wasn't all just speculation.

EnigmaticSun
01-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Hey you guys!

Everyone seems to have something meaningful to say, even if we don't answer the question, which had been posted in this topic.

@ Jungleroom 76 / Mike: yes, it proves you really know how Elvis felt, as for the reason why he made certain choices artistically! (y)

@ rickb - how do you mean that? Would you have preferred more latin-american music, or opera? It is an interesting question, whether you regard US country music as a style, which is "unbroad". I, for instance, have enough country music, if it's from the good ol' US of A.. haha! :D

@ Lonnie B. - you brought up something important! Even if Elvis sang brilliant cover versions, it was never enough to get things rolling for him. Should he have been limited to such a domain, he would have been restricted to second place. And Elvis was like a champion.
Guess the ability to cover songs is like an accessory (=not the gist of sth.)
Lonnie, if you focus on your punctuation, your sentences will be more easy to read. You seem good at mathematics too.

KPM
01-28-2012, 10:10 PM
I think he probably would have, though country would most likely have been included on the menu.

I can't see him having much to do with new country though, which is mostly "lite country" or "pop country" I'd say. IMO it's not unpalatable in all cases but so much of it is a slap in the face to the real country artists of prior decades honestly. (Tangentially speaking, the same could be said of professional sports these days.) And I should say I would rather listen to that than most top 40-ish songs.

Anyway, yes, I can see him going the latter-day Johnny Cash route. It would have worked well for Elvis too. Both those guys were always quite diverse in their tastes but Johnny ventured out further than Elvis...If Elvis had been around longer than he was he probably would have too.

You know what would have been neat though? Though admittedly not the most likely scenario, imagine if Elvis had been able to team up with another great songwriter or songwriting team who really wanted to crank out some fresh material catered to that artist (like Leiber and Stoller or Pomus and Shuman) and he had a career revival that was really a rebirth of sorts and not just a very successful rejuvenation that made him even more of a cover artist than he had already been in the 70s.

Country generally speaking is such a nice fit for Elvis though so I think it is unsurprising that the responses have leaned that way. But I do believe his tastes were quite broad and were only going to keep broadening with the passage of time -- think of how his tenure in Europe changed him during his army stint. I sure wish he'd had the chance and this wasn't all just speculation.
Not sure how you mean "ventured out"?
Johnny was limited in voice-a wondergful artist icon with a great honest charisma about him-but still vocally he was limited...and Elvis was not.
Elvis sang everything from the light opera toned things like "Its Now or Never" to Dylan songs, Jimmy Reed blues, the latin flavored songs, old country, broadway type tunes from the movies, pop songs from Tin Pan Alley, old gospel, newer gospel like Andre Crouch, Beatles hits, Sinatra type, rock-a billy, pop rock, straight rock,.....we all know the eclectic nature of Elvis and his musical ability. So in terms of vocal attempts of other music I would say hands down Elvis was far ahead of JC.
In 76 he recorded the broadway icon team of Webber and Rices "Its Easy for You" and did a beautiful job IMO-I can not see Johnny Cash doing that song. Many songs and musical genres Elvis did-I just can not see JC pulling them off (many I'm sure JC would never have done even if he had the voice just because they would not have appealed to him IMO)
Johnny, for a short time, had no record label... that forced him to take a look at his musical direction. Elvis was never in danger of losing his recording contract...even when he was not fullfilling his end and recording on a regular basis.
If you mean Johnny ventured out with the younger producer who actually helped him choose songs and arrangements that helped shape the last musical years for JC-I would agree Johnny ventured out further than Elvis by taking a chance and allowing a younger voice to help mold his music.
JC also freely collaborated with other artists with no debate or chastisement.
Elvis was not allowed this "spark" for creation.....he had to be the total spark, the total engine for musical direction, and production.
I wish he had been allowed to interact freely with creative people who could have sparked his desire and his direction, but thats just not the way it was.
As far as the question of what country songs I would like to hear Elvis do today I am not much of an authority on he pop country we have today.
Country for me was Ernest Tubb, George Jones, Hank Snow, etc......todays country is far from it.

EnigmaticSun
01-29-2012, 08:54 AM
As far as the question of what country songs I would like to hear Elvis do today I am not much of an authority on he pop country we have today.
Country for me was Ernest Tubb, George Jones, Hank Snow, etc......todays country is far from it.

You're taking the words out of my mouth, as far as the C&W question is concerned.

The point by Lonnie was probably not about their vocal abilities. It seems Johnny Cash had the opportunity to write or cover "rare" songs, such as "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails. Johnny Cash introduced material - or made it accessible - which wouldn't have been considered, hadn't he tried them. The "border" between country and non-country wasn't always too obvious/discernible.
Elvis was the vocal artist, and Johnny did the work in lyrics. "The Man Comes Around", for instance, was not that easy to write/compose.. and what style is it anyway?

I doubt whether Johnny was ever in danger of not being able to do his thing..? Of course, Elvis could have been more aggressive in his approach. Even without a certain manager or label, the fans would have loved him.