PDA

View Full Version : Picture taken in 1948 at a gathering of "The First Assembly Of Gods Church" in Tupelo

gunter
01-04-2012, 03:44 PM
I found this on the Elvis Matters-website.

The Accompanied text reads as follows:

ElvisMatters member Stefaan Demarest just emailed us these two unique, almost historic pictures. The first one was taken inside the grosery store of Becky Martin's father in Tupelo. He can be seen behind the counter, while Orville Bean (employer of Vernon at the time) sits next to the Coke machine. By the way, did you know that Orville Bean signed a petition to release Vernon from jail? The second picture was taken in 1948 at a gathering of "The First Assembly Of Gods Church" in Tupelo. Elvis (on the left) wears a dark jacket.

Published: january 4th 2012 08:44 AM.
Source: ElvisMatters / Published by: ElvisMatters - Peter Verbruggen .

http://www.elvismatters.be/index.php?pagina=nieuws&id=5732

I'm sorry, but I just don't see any Elvis. The dutch version even claims that the "Presley Family" is in the second picture. I could imagine that the tall man in the middle of the picture with the black mark beside his head could be Vernon. But I can't see the guy on the left with the dark jacket (also with a black mark) to be Elvis. He's even too tall to be a 13-year old.
It's not a clear picture, but imo no way this is Elvis. What do you guys think? :hmm:

King Of The Whole World
01-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks for posting this. I have to agree with you, not being clear makes it difficult to tell. Your right about the height of Elvis at 13. When he was fully grown he was 6 foot. The person looks to be the same height of everyone else. Is that a hat on his head or the shadow? I know there is that picture of him when he was 13 or 14 with a smilar jacket on.

Also, I can't imagine Elvis getting his picture taken with out standing next to his parents. Is that Gladys with the hat on? I don't think I have ever seen her wear a hat in any picture. Maybe she wore one to church.

If they are real this is a great find.

debtdbruno
01-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Cool pics...........

hounddog
01-04-2012, 09:01 PM
i think the bottom picture has been in a book at sometime, but i can't remember which one,
this photo was taken in either 47 or 48
http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=70643&title=young-elvis&cat=19

King Of The Whole World
01-04-2012, 11:08 PM
i think the bottom picture has been in a book at sometime, but i can't remember which one,
this photo was taken in either 47 or 48
http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=70643&title=young-elvis&cat=19

What is so funny to me, these people didnt even know they were standing with a guy who would become one of the most famous people to every walk on earth.

ELVIS_
01-04-2012, 11:32 PM
(y)Thanks for posting..very cool!

Tommy
01-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks for posting, I thought when Elvis was a child he wore glasses. Great find my friend. (y)
http://www.elvismatters.com/nieuws/afbeeldingen/thumbnails/1_20120104084356.jpg

Diane
01-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure about that being Elvis behind the counter in the top photo, but in the second one, it does look like Elvis as a small child second from the left in front.

KPM
01-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Its hard to tell from the store photo-the church photo is a little better but still not sure if that is Elvis in the dark jacket.
He would have been 13 in 48 so I guess the dark jacketed boy looks near that age.

memphiflash1956
01-10-2012, 10:28 AM
In the 2nd group photo Elvis is actually the kid towards trhe right of the photo standing next to the lady in the flowered dress.He is wearing a black
shirt with white buttons and white belt.His hair is light in color and slicked to the side.

Jungleroom76
01-10-2012, 05:29 PM
I have to agree that it's tough to tell if that is Elvis in the store photo, but I think it's him in the church photo. I've always been fascinated with old photos like these, so thanks so much for posting them!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Raised on Rock
01-10-2012, 08:50 PM
This are wonderful finds, to bad my eyes are not good enough lol! Hope better quality scans in a larger size might appear soon, cause I can't see a thing about who is who in this ones haha...