PDA

View Full Version : 2012 re-release of 30 Number One Hits?

vivaelvis
08-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Next year marks the 10th anniversary of Elvis' biggest modern day hit album, 30 Number One Hits and it is just over half way to diamond status with just over 5 million sold in the US. 10 million or more units sold in the US means diamond. Sony should take note of this and re-release it next year for the 10th year anniversary of its release and push to get it to the 10 million. Elvis has yet to recieve a diamond award for an album. His original christmas album is the closest but doesn't say much for his artistic work as a pop/rock singer.

Brian, can you find out something about this?

Raised on Rock
08-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Re-release the thing with Second to None and the 30 #1 hits DVD as bonus, and don't make it extra expensive because of that, and it might work.

On the other hand, no, I won't re buy it, better stuff at FTD to spend money on Elvis.

Jungleroom76
08-26-2011, 11:50 PM
I've noticed in Wal-Mart that Sony has re-released E1 in a new "greener" package (no jewel case, just a digi-pak)...I wonder if these re-releases count toward the sales figures to move the album closer to Diamond award status?? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Raised on Rock
08-27-2011, 04:11 PM
I've noticed in Wal-Mart that Sony has re-released E1 in a new "greener" package (no jewel case, just a digi-pak)...I wonder if these re-releases count toward the sales figures to move the album closer to Diamond award status?? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

As far as I know, you can repack and album changing stuff up until certain degree and the sales will still count, just as you can add up to 6 tracks or something like that and still counts. (You can add a Bonus CD, but that one will not add to the orinal sales of itself, SOmething For EVery Body will only add up to Elvis is Back! but not to the original SOmething for Everybody. But I'm not 100% sure). FTD'S classic albums won't add to the original sales as they have more than 6 bonus tracks on the CD where the original album is being released. Its a bit weird.

Like legacy's Elvis is Back! or From Elvis in Memphis, or On Stage, will still add to the original sales of the albums, as well as the 90's or 80's re-releases of those. The coming soon Legacy's Elvis Presley (The 1rst album)backed with the 2nd album, will also add to the original sales, but not the box set: Young Man With the Big Beat that does include the original 2 first albums. FTd'S Elvis is Back! on classic albums won't count, as it is considered as the mentioned Box set.

vivaelvis
08-27-2011, 05:01 PM
As far as I know, you can repack and album changing stuff up until certain degree and the sales will still count, just as you can add up to 6 tracks or something like that and still counts. (You can add a Bonus CD, but that one will not add to the orinal sales of itself, SOmething For EVery Body will only add up to Elvis is Back! but not to the original SOmething for Everybody. But I'm not 100% sure). FTD'S classic albums won't add to the original sales as they have more than 6 bonus tracks on the CD where the original album is being released. Its a bit weird.

Like legacy's Elvis is Back! or From Elvis in Memphis, or On Stage, will still add to the original sales of the albums, as well as the 90's or 80's re-releases of those. The coming soon Legacy's Elvis Presley (The 1rst album)backed with the 2nd album, will also add to the original sales, but not the box set: Young Man With the Big Beat that does include the original 2 first albums. FTd'S Elvis is Back! on classic albums won't count, as it is considered as the mentioned Box set.

As long as it stands as the same title and features the same content it adds to the original sales total. You can change the album';s artwork or cover as was done with Aloha From Hawaii(which btw, was brilliantly done). Additional bonus tracks can be added without taking away form it's totals. Those LE releases do count towards the original albums. For instance, Back in Memphis as an additional disc of the set does add to its original numbers because it was two albums in one package. Another example, if Sony does do a MSG 40th anniversary on LE or mainstream in a double set next year, they would count towards the original album sales of the two.

Raised on Rock
08-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Another example, if Sony does do a MSG 40th anniversary on LE or mainstream in a double set next year, they would count towards the original album sales of the two.

Oh great news! Guess I got the wrong info.

You know for sure if FTd´s on the classic album series, let's say Elvis Country or Elvis is Back! do count to? or because of the more than 6 bonus tracks are considered box sets and so, another release.

Jungleroom76
08-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the interesting information guys!! (y)

I didn't even think about the FTD Classic Albums releases counting toward the original sales figures for a particular album...that would be awesome if they counted as well!! :D

I'm glad that the LEGACY releases count for both albums (like the ELVIS IS BACK and SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY albums) as opposed to just counting for the ELVIS IS BACK, for example, because that is the album title even though both albums are contained in the package. Does that make any sense?? :blink:

TCB!
Mike

vivaelvis
08-27-2011, 10:05 PM
I don't know if FTD releases of the classic series counts. But if they do or don't there's not enough shipped or sold to make much of a dent in sales.

Raised on Rock
08-28-2011, 07:17 PM
I don't know if FTD releases of the classic series counts. But if they do or don't there's not enough shipped or sold to make much of a dent in sales.

I see, well maybe the best sellers as Elvis is Back! might... but yes, FTD sales, even the best selling ones might me nothing compared to what the Legacy releases sell.

Jungleroom76
08-28-2011, 11:22 PM

True, but every sale should count! ;)

TCB!
Mike

Brian Quinn
09-04-2011, 01:48 PM

Expanded Re-issues:

From 1996, expanded CD's had to contain 75% of the musical content of the original CD. This is pertinent to many older Elvis albums which have been re-issued with many bonus tracks. If an album was originally 12 tracks, you could add 4 more tracks to make 16 and still be inside the rules. However, add one more to make 17 and you are outside the 75% rule. This excludes virtually all the remastered albums by Elvis.

For example, Blue Hawaii scanned 336,000 copies from 1991 to 2006. In 1997 the album was expanded from 14 to 22 tracks - so sales of perhaps 150-200,000 could be excluded from shipment totals presented to the riaa.

Brian

Brian Quinn
09-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Next year marks the 10th anniversary of Elvis' biggest modern day hit album, 30 Number One Hits and it is just over half way to diamond status with just over 5 million sold in the US. 10 million or more units sold in the US means diamond. Sony should take note of this and re-release it next year for the 10th year anniversary of its release and push to get it to the 10 million. Elvis has yet to recieve a diamond award for an album. His original christmas album is the closest but doesn't say much for his artistic work as a pop/rock singer.

Brian, can you find out something about this?

Viva,

I doubt if SONY will 're-release' the '30 No.1 Hits' in 2012 as it has not been deleted. However, I expect they will ensure it has more display status. In addition, technically it has not sold enough copies for it to be even 5 X Platinum. The RIAA count albums 'shipped' minus returns. Up to 21st August, 2011 it had sold 4,760,478 copies in the U.S.A. according to Soundscan (who only measure over the counter sales). Even with major marketing I doubt if it would reach Diamond Status within 7 years. Depending on the actual numbers already 'shipped' for 'Elvis' Christmas Album' (1970 Version) it would make more sense for them to re-issue this and attempt to get Elvis his first RIAA 'Diamond' Award. However, I will attempt to find out more about the situation from SONY.

Brian

Jungleroom76
09-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Expanded Re-issues:

From 1996, expanded CD's had to contain 75% of the musical content of the original CD. This is pertinent to many older Elvis albums which have been re-issued with many bonus tracks. If an album was originally 12 tracks, you could add 4 more tracks to make 16 and still be inside the rules. However, add one more to make 17 and you are outside the 75% rule. This excludes virtually all the remastered albums by Elvis.

For example, Blue Hawaii scanned 336,000 copies from 1991 to 2006. In 1997 the album was expanded from 14 to 22 tracks - so sales of perhaps 150-200,000 could be excluded from shipment totals presented to the riaa.

Brian

Thanks for the explanation and clarification Brian, but I have to say that the rule STINKS!!! (n)

TCB!
Mike

Raised on Rock
09-05-2011, 03:03 AM
Expanded Re-issues:

Brian

So lets say, this new legacy double CD re-issues, are not counting numbers at all to the original sales, needless to say FTD. Well that sucks! If we count all remaster sales since the early 90's, I'm sure there is a big deal in sales that then is lost for Platinium/Diamond stuff.

Jungleroom76
09-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Just imagine how many of Elvis' albums would be certified Diamond by now if it weren't for this ridiculous "75% rule"!!! :angry:

TCB!
Mike

vivaelvis
09-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Very true.

Brian Quinn
09-05-2011, 06:00 PM
So lets say, this new legacy double CD re-issues, are not counting numbers at all to the original sales, needless to say FTD. Well that sucks! If we count all remaster sales since the early 90's, I'm sure there is a big deal in sales that then is lost for Platinium/Diamond stuff.

This is why SONY need to get to grips with the RIAA rules. However, they appear to be only interested in making money and not preserving Elvis' Legacy. Any logical thinking record company would re-release 'Elvis' Christmas Album (1970 Version) and not allow any new Christmas product to be released until it has achieved DIAMOND Status (10 Million). It has sold over 9 million already. Absolute madness. I am trying to get EPE to pressure SONY to re-release it. Whoever decided to delete it should have lost their job in my opinion.

Brian

Jungleroom76
09-06-2011, 02:56 AM
This is why SONY need to get to grips with the RIAA rules. However, they appear to be only interested in making money and not preserving Elvis' Legacy. Any logical thinking record company would re-release 'Elvis' Christmas Album (1970 Version) and not allow any new Christmas product to be released until it has achieved DIAMOND Status (10 Million). It has sold over 9 million already. Absolute madness. I am trying to get EPE to pressure SONY to re-release it. Whoever decided to delete it should have lost their job in my opinion.

Brian

Keep up the GREAT work my friend!!! It's a travesty that "The King of Rock N' Roll" has not one single Diamond Award to his name, and he has had albums and singles on the charts for over 50 years!!!! That's just not right!!! :angry:

TCB!
Mike

rickb
09-06-2011, 07:19 AM
it would be a good idea to give it another publicity push, maybe around the 35th anniversary

Brian Quinn
09-06-2011, 04:33 PM
I have had an e-mail from EPE and they are looking into getting Elvis' Christmas Album (1970 Version) reinstated to the current Catalog with SONY. I will post any reply I receive.

Brian

Jungleroom76
09-07-2011, 03:32 AM
I have had an e-mail from EPE and they are looking into getting Elvis' Christmas Album (1970 Version) reinstated to the current Catalog with SONY. I will post any reply I receive.

Brian

Thank you for keeping us updated on this my friend!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

See See Rider
09-09-2011, 08:46 AM
I hope FTD does not release a Christmas Album!

Joe Car
09-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Thank you for keeping us updated on this my friend!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

Well done Brian!

Brian Quinn
09-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Great news. As you will all know by now my badgering EPE to contact SONY and get the matter sorted has paid off - Elvis now has his first Diamond Award for his 'Christmas Album' (1970 version).

Brian (y)