PDA

View Full Version : Are you tired of the same ol boots?

lvelvis
07-16-2011, 11:01 PM
IT seems to me that for the past 4 years especially we have had nothing really to equal the surge in the mid 90s of all the great soundboards that were offerd . I sure miss those days , i understand we have ftd , but i sincerly miss having a great bootleg soundboard, or outakes cd that we used to get , now it seems all we get is rehashes of ol stuff or audience recorded performances , i sure never thought we would see the latter ever again, but i was wrong. S o what about you do you like most of the stuff comming out?

vivaelvis
07-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Until those private owners who have the lost tapes part ways with them then we can expect the same to be reissued again and again.

debtdbruno
07-17-2011, 09:54 AM
yep........it's not a 'never ending pot'...........

Albert
07-17-2011, 12:15 PM
IT seems to me that for the past 4 years especially we have had nothing really to equal the surge in the mid 90s of all the great soundboards that were offerd . I sure miss those days , i understand we have ftd , but i sincerly miss having a great bootleg soundboard, or outakes cd that we used to get , now it seems all we get is rehashes of ol stuff or audience recorded performances , i sure never thought we would see the latter ever again, but i was wrong. S o what about you do you like most of the stuff comming out?

O man, I really miss those days. I remember the days in the 80s where I would get nervous for the new cassettes with rare shows to be delivered. And then in the 90s to collect all those rare cd's from those fantastic labels like Bilko, Baxter, Vicky, DAE and later Madison and Memory. Never before heard outtakes and shows. Fantastic moments. I really cherish them.

During the 80s and 90s the fanclub magazines were the only sources where I could read about these releases. It started with the announcements and then the reviews. Wonderful. And then the hunt began. Where to find these rare releases? Fanclub meetings, small advertisements and unknown people were the only way to get these gems. That was before the internet, ebay and FTD.

It all is way different. I still like those re-releases as long as the artwork AND sound has been improved. But it's not the same excitement anymore.
Eventhough I LOVE youtube, all these clips of never-before-seen performances take away this same excitement for those import dvd's (from JAT for example).

Another thing that may have 'ruined' my listening experience is iTunes. I used to listen to Elvis cd's: put on the disc, take out the booklet and read about the show while listening. A few years ago I ripped my complete collection (hundreds and hundreds CD's) to m4a (Apple's lossless format). It's a wonderful way to catalogue your collection and to quickly make playlists. But someway it made listening to an album less intense, you know?

Lately I bought the "Soundboard Greatest" release from NedMac Recordings. It's a compilation of livesongs (in great soundquality) from 1969-1977. It's a wonderful listening experience. Another very nice purchase was "Matinee Majesty": Elvis live in Providence, May 23 1977. It's a stereo audience recording in very good quality (like Elvis' final concert).

lvelvis
07-17-2011, 02:08 PM
O man, I really miss those days. I remember the days in the 80s where I would get nervous for the new cassettes with rare shows to be delivered. And then in the 90s to collect all those rare cd's from those fantastic labels like Bilko, Baxter, Vicky, DAE and later Madison and Memory. Never before heard outtakes and shows. Fantastic moments. I really cherish them.

During the 80s and 90s the fanclub magazines were the only sources where I could read about these releases. It started with the announcements and then the reviews. Wonderful. And then the hunt began. Where to find these rare releases? Fanclub meetings, small advertisements and unknown people were the only way to get these gems. That was before the internet, ebay and FTD.

It all is way different. I still like those re-releases as long as the artwork AND sound has been improved. But it's not the same excitement anymore.
Eventhough I LOVE youtube, all these clips of never-before-seen performances take away this same excitement for those import dvd's (from JAT for example).

Another thing that may have 'ruined' my listening experience is iTunes. I used to listen to Elvis cd's: put on the disc, take out the booklet and read about the show while listening. A few years ago I ripped my complete collection (hundreds and hundreds CD's) to m4a (Apple's lossless format). It's a wonderful way to catalogue your collection and to quickly make playlists. But someway it made listening to an album less intense, you know?

Lately I bought the "Soundboard Greatest" release from NedMac Recordings. It's a compilation of livesongs (in great soundquality) from 1969-1977. It's a wonderful listening experience. Another very nice purchase was "Matinee Majesty": Elvis live in Providence, May 23 1977. It's a stereo audience recording in very good quality (like Elvis' final concert).
yes so true i also remember those days and waiting for the latest issue of tmahm so i could order the next baxter release, or having a pen pal in the uk list me all the boot cds that would be comming out . I got so exicited over the first and my fave boot of all time JUST PRETEND by baxter i could not believe i was hearing E.P. in las vegas clearly albeit mono and the insert said it was from the colonels stash and there was more to come , and as they did i slowly sold all my vinyl, except my japaneese vinyl.

i still buy the cds and spin em on my deck , i'm not computer savy so i tunes etc is all foreighn to me , i love going in the room taking a cd off the shelf and spinning it[only E.P. of corse], i still get excited over some releases like the final curtin and the latest ftd's , but i wish the boots would come out in droves like they did back then- maybe there will be a resurgance in the comming years. I wonder since BRUCE JACKSON has passed away if ftd will be buying any of his tapes if they evr come up 4 sale, one can only pray.

monk37
07-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Until those private owners who have the lost tapes part ways with them then we can expect the same to be reissued again and again.

This is Elvis - the entire marketing philosophy was to re-package and sell the same things over and over