PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Sony will follow yet another Beatles path

vivaelvis
07-15-2011, 08:44 PM
The Beatles and Apple are releasing I'm Looking Through You as a single on Itunes. What's more? The song was never releases as a single in 1965 when it first appeared on their album, Rubber Soul. In other words, Apple is taking a big step to present new hits for The Beatles since half the band is gone.

Now, since BMG and Sony have followed previous paths by the group with Elvis projects, I wonder if they will follow this one too and release non single recordings into singles for Itunes? It would be a smart move to get his back catalog out to the public more. Let's look at some recordings that could work for downloading as singles.

Shake, Rattle & Roll (alternate version)-1956
Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do-1957
Ain't That Loving You Baby-1958
It Feels So Right-1960
You're The Boss (duet with Ann Margaret)-1963
Long Lonely Highway-1964
Let Yourself Go ('68 Comeback version edited)-1968
Long Black Limousine-1969
Power Of My Love-1969
Gentle On My Mind-1969
Stranger In My Own home Town-1969
Bridge Over Troubled Water-1970
Polk Salad Annie-August 1970
Where Do I Go From Here-1972
Thinking About You-1973
Pieces Of My Life-1975
Solitaire-1976

From the new reworked album VivaElvis
King Creole
Bossa Nova Baby
Can't Help Falling In Love

Albert
07-17-2011, 12:24 PM
I believe all sales of individual songs on an album on iTunes count as a single sale. So if (for example) everybody starts buying 'Stranger in my own home town' from the iTunes album "Elvis in Memphis", then this song will appear in the charts as if it was a single.

The only difference between this and actually release a single, is that this single can hold a few songs. This single (with these 2-3 songs) can be sold at a special price, while all individual songs can also be purchased separately (just as on a normal album). Also, this single can get marketed better of course than just one random song on a full album.

I still think that the only way for Elvis to be really big again, is for Sony to grow some balls, throw away Tom Parkers "How to manage a superstar" manual, and actual try to focus more on the 1968-1977 Elvis. This is the only period in Elvis' career with a contemporary sound that at least matches todays' sound a bit. It's frustrating for me that so many youngsters only think that Elvis was popular in the 50s with songs like Teddy Bear and Don't Be Cruel, and was washed out after the army, made some bad movies and became fat when he started to perform in Vegas.

Elvis is cool! Elvis is now!