PDA

View Full Version : Graceland Attendance Drops In 2010

Elvis.com
07-14-2011, 06:20 PM
The Memphis home of the King of Rock 'n' Roll saw a 4 percent drop in attendance from 2009 to 2010. Attendance figures for Graceland released earlier this year in the 2010 annual report of the parent company of Elvis Presley...

Link To Original Article (http://www.elvisnews.com/news.aspx/graceland-attendance-drops-in-2010/13391)

vivaelvis
07-14-2011, 08:35 PM
This is actually great news! It now forces the company to stop standing pat and being so cheap to just settle for getting by. They have got to realize that they have to spend money in order to make money in return.

This one sentence in that article says it all. "The Graceland attraction was opened to the public in the 1980s and lacks many of the amenities and points-of-sale that one would expect from a tourist destination that garners over 500,000 visitors per annum". I've been saying this all along. Let's face it. The immediate Graceland area is not attractive in any way. Even the visitors center is outdated and beyond expansion possibilities. The HH is a rundown even after renovations in 2000 to where renovating it is out of the question. It's too small, lacks space, obvioulsy lacks first class amenities that attracts guest's interest, has a very small pool deck, and doesn't have room for meetings, conventions or weddings. That's where the money making lies. Not in thematic attractions.

Let's hope that this news is a wakeup call to EPE that just getting by won't cut it anymore in this day and age. If Disney ran their operations half=assed like EPE has over the years then they wouldn't be in business today. EPE needs to thank Elvis for his popularity to keep the company afloat.

Unchained Melody
07-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Disney's operations and EPE handling Graceland is a little bit different I would think...Sure, they both are tourist attractions, but Graceland is first and foremost a home of what was the greatest entertainer that ever graced this earth IMO.
I do hope anyhow that they do fix it up nicely, I'm sure they got the money to do so, thanks for the update.

vivaelvis
07-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Disney's operations and EPE handling Graceland is a little bit different I would think...Sure, they both are tourist attractions, but Graceland is first and foremost a home of what was the greatest entertainer that ever graced this earth IMO.
I do hope anyhow that they do fix it up nicely, I'm sure they got the money to do so, thanks for the update.

Elvis Presley Enterprises Inc. is a corporation like Disney. They are both big businesses but EPE operates like a third tier small business. Poor leadership including Priscilla's involvement since 1982 and cheaply ran is the cause of the lack of today's appeal. All one has to do is take a look at the whole image of the attraction and they will see how cheap it really is to be so expensive to attend.

KPM
07-14-2011, 11:22 PM
2010 in the middle of the biggest economic turndown since 1929-did anyone expect anything different about attendance.
We are now in the middle of the 3rd year of a practically jobless recovery-my own brother visits Graceland about once every 3 years-but not the last 3 since he has worked a total of 7 months as a carpet layer since January 2009. When you do not have work-you do not take vacations, nor lead the life you do when fully employed, plus those who are employed have to contend with $3-4 dollar gasolene, airlines now charging for things like each piece of luggage, boarding fees etc to try and make up for the lost revenue because of higher jet fuel and less travelors.
Then factor in the average raise people who are working got in the last 3 years and you have less money to spend on vacations and luxury items.
No one is spending unless they have to-so is this news really surprising?
On the contrary since late 2008 the time for huge expansions is long gone... for the near future.....the wait and see game is what most business's are doing.
Poor leadership by EPE is a total matter of opinion-as is the leadership of Sillerman and the CKX team.
EPE grew steadily for years, as did profits and attractions-they decided to go outside the company in 2005 for what some have said was a reinvigoration of ideas for larger grander scale things-and from that moment forward it has been a steady turmoil of activity to decide how to proceed, how to perform this "reinvigoration" so many ideas, so many things to do-so little decision.
Take a look at the post from 2006-07 where the grand scheme was laid out by someone....and was suppose to be completed within 2 years time-Grand Opening by late 2009.
None of that post came to pass-it is now 2011.
Big does not always mean smart, big does not always mean better, big does not always mean faster as we are finding out.

KPM
07-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Heres an excerpt from the Orange County Register Dec, 2010 in Florida about Disney parks in 2010 This shows that since 2008 even Disney is having some problems and is not fully releasing info on its situation. Anytime you censor how you report your figures-it is not because of good news, it is to put a good light on the positive you can report:
Attendance at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure was “modestly better” in late summer compared to the previous year, although the company declined to reveal more specific information.

The Walt Disney Co. recently stopped reporting attendance gains and losses broken out by its Florida and California theme parks in its earnings reports. Instead, the company released only a national attendance average.

That makes it more difficult to gauge the health of the Disneyland Resort — Orange County’s largest private employer with 20,000 workers. The resort includes the two theme parks, three hotels and the Downtown Disney shopping-entertainment district..........

vivaelvis
07-15-2011, 12:45 AM
August 2, 2011 is a very important day for America snd the rest of the world. That's when the US must have the bailout checks sent out or else risk a default. If that were to happen, it would be the first time ever in this country's history. It looks like Obama is way in over his head. I'm sure Apollo, CKX and EPE are all watching the situation very closely as it would have an immediate impact on tourism from all over the world. From Disneyland to Graceland.

asian1
07-15-2011, 08:50 PM
August 2, 2011 is a very important day for America snd the rest of the world. That's when the US must have the bailout checks sent out or else risk a default. If that were to happen, it would be the first time ever in this country's history. It looks like Obama is way in over his head. I'm sure Apollo, CKX and EPE are all watching the situation very closely as it would have an immediate impact on tourism from all over the world. From Disneyland to Graceland.

I agree that "King Obama" is not handling the huge economic mess properly. WIth the hard economic times ahead, I don't thin it would be wise for any business to start investing large amounts of money such as Graceland. I do think that if creative and intelligent people ran Grace;and, they could make respectable business and garner new interest for all things concerning a dynamic performer like Elvis. Creative and innovative ideas do not always come with investing large sums of money. Proper leadership and direction can emanate from anyone.

I don't think Elvis was handled well when he was alive and I don't think he is promoted well now either. I see more brilliant ideas on this message board, from loyal fans, than from the feckless business minds that manage EPE.

vivaelvis
07-15-2011, 08:58 PM
I agree that "King Obama" is not handling the huge economic mess properly. WIth the hard economic times ahead, I don't thin it would be wise for any business to start investing large amounts of money such as Graceland. I do think that if creative and intelligent people ran Grace;and, they could make respectable business and garner new interest for all things concerning a dynamic performer like Elvis. Creative and innovative ideas do not always come with investing large sums of money. Proper leadership and direction can emanate from anyone.

I don't think Elvis was handled well when he was alive and I don't think he is promoted well now either. I see more brilliant ideas on this message board, from loyal fans, than from the feckless business minds that manage EPE.

Amen!! I couldn't agree more. In fact, I don't look for massive redevelopment at or around Graceland until the economy is back to full strength and that could be another year or two if not longer. However, business goes on and EPE and CKX/Apollo will do whatever they must to get a new hotel or save money by revamping and possibly expanding the current hotel and upgrade amenities. But, imo, from what's been said, the HH is beyond renovating and putting money into. It would be like putting lipstick on a pig.

KPM
07-15-2011, 10:53 PM
As this is not a political forum I will only make one comment-no "bailout checks" are to be sent out by the US on August 2nd 2011
The significance of that date is that the Debt Limit Ceiling for the US must be raised by that date-it is Congress's responsibilty to do this when the limit is reached-the Debt Limit was raised 7 times during the Bush years and theres was little fanfare about doing so.
Some people in Congress do not understand that by trying to use the raising of this ceiling as a bargaining point they are playing with fire-Moodys has already said they are putting the USA on a watch-and that the credit rating for the US (yes countries have credit rating) could be downgraded if the US does not raise the debt ceiling-we would be in technical default......which will send up interest rates on are credit cards, the nations debt, and that would be a catastrophy.
Some of the less informed new Congressmen and women say all we have to do is pay interest on our debt until we work out the problem-every major economic entitiy be it Republican, Democrat or Independent say if the debt limit is not raised-we will see economic Armageddon that will make this downturn seem "pleasant" Obama may not be the culpret here-the former chairman of the Republican party Mr. Steele said recently on Hardball that this limit must be raised-and that he shudders to think of the consequences of not doing so.
All Congress has to do is raise the debt limit, send the bill to Obama and he signs it-easy.
Instead they are taking us to the brink of destruction....saying-it will be okay.
"Every Congress before this last Congressional election -has raised the debt limit when necessary with little opposition-until this year.....???
Bush overspent every year he was president, he entered 2 major wars without paying for them, he gave the upper 2% major tax cuts and lowered corporate tax rates (also unpaid for) which should have given us a economic utopia according to his way of thinking, yet at the end of his presidency we faced the largest recession since 1929???
I think to be fair President Bush did have a little to do with where we are today.

asian1
07-16-2011, 10:10 AM
As this is not a political forum I will only make one comment-no "bailout checks" are to be sent out by the US on August 2nd 2011
The significance of that date is that the Debt Limit Ceiling for the US must be raised by that date-it is Congress's responsibilty to do this when the limit is reached-the Debt Limit was raised 7 times during the Bush years and theres was little fanfare about doing so.
Some people in Congress do not understand that by trying to use the raising of this ceiling as a bargaining point they are playing with fire-Moodys has already said they are putting the USA on a watch-and that the credit rating for the US (yes countries have credit rating) could be downgraded if the US does not raise the debt ceiling-we would be in technical default......which will send up interest rates on are credit cards, the nations debt, and that would be a catastrophy.
Some of the less informed new Congressmen and women say all we have to do is pay interest on our debt until we work out the problem-every major economic entitiy be it Republican, Democrat or Independent say if the debt limit is not raised-we will see economic Armageddon that will make this downturn seem "pleasant" Obama may not be the culpret here-the former chairman of the Republican party Mr. Steele said recently on Hardball that this limit must be raised-and that he shudders to think of the consequences of not doing so.
All Congress has to do is raise the debt limit, send the bill to Obama and he signs it-easy.
Instead they are taking us to the brink of destruction....saying-it will be okay.
"Every Congress before this last Congressional election -has raised the debt limit when necessary with little opposition-until this year.....???
Bush overspent every year he was president, he entered 2 major wars without paying for them, he gave the upper 2% major tax cuts and lowered corporate tax rates (also unpaid for) which should have given us a economic utopia according to his way of thinking, yet at the end of his presidency we faced the largest recession since 1929???
I think to be fair President Bush did have a little to do with where we are today.

For making one comment on this non- political topic, you certainly expounded the heck out of it - lol.

Hopefully, EPE will be more fiscally prudent and more creative with their ideas for Graceland. Their shorsightednessdoes does not go un noticed on this forum. Perhaps EPE should enlist the aid of some of the members on this board who can easily demonstrate the correct way to promote Elvis.

KPM
07-16-2011, 06:29 PM
For making one comment on this non- political topic, you certainly expounded the heck out of it - lol.

Hopefully, EPE will be more fiscally prudent and more creative with their ideas for Graceland. Their shorsightednessdoes does not go un noticed on this forum. Perhaps EPE should enlist the aid of some of the members on this board who can easily demonstrate the correct way to promote Elvis.
Well that one comment took a little space;)
As far as EPE I will not defend them but will point out what I have for some time-they do not own the music (and that was not their fault)
They do not own the films (also not their fault) these things were decided long before anyone thought Elvis would die so young.
Trinkets were sold ad nauseum while Elvis was alive-Parker marketed most everything he could get EPs face on while he was alive and after he died-Elvis allowed it to happen. The train began long before Priscilla, or EPE were a thought.
Without the music and films-trinkets are whats left.
Everyone has their own ideas of what should be done-including me-but what should be done and what is possible are many times miles apart.
None of us here who "speculate" must actually do cost studies, try to get clearances, try to convince others that the millions which need to be spent to "properly expand Elvis's image" are going to show true worthwhile results, and not the results of "speculation"
That is how any business works. Just because its Elvis, or the Beatles or John Wayne does not change the way the world works.
EPE can not buy the recordings, nor the films-how could Sony or Turner set a price on priceless things-which will always turn a profit since the hard work of real production is over-they do not want to sell them.
EPE did not fail to produce the expansion-they sought a partner, they looked for someone to take it to the next level and they sold 85% interest to that partner in order for the "expertise of bigger business" to do just that. People here posted huge elaborate plans, schemes that were about to happen......once again check out my reposting of one such claim from 2006-07 in the other thread about the new sale to Apollo. the claim gave a time table of everything done in 2 years, Sillerman had plenty of money, 2009 expansion completed!
Well so far that expertise has not rang true-thats a negative statement not because of any negative attitude- because it is true.......I add nothing to.... it it stands alone.
Now if the huge ballyhooed speculative plans that were speculated back when the deal was made had been real-I would not be able to say nearly 7 years later that the "expertise EPE sought in the deal" had not been successful. I would be proclaiming that "WOW the rumors of action in 2006-07 were true....the whole thing was done in 2 years and 2009 indeed it was done"
EPE sought expertise in a partner and since then the partner has held 85% interest and they control the ballgame.
Perhaps this time with Apollo-it will be different, they supposedly have huge pockets also so maybe they can swing a deal to buy the music/films and actually have the creative end of Elvis's legacy-but I would not hold my breath.

Jungleroom76
07-16-2011, 06:36 PM
As far as EPE I will not defend them but will point out what I have for some time-they do not own the music (and that was not their fault)
They do not own the films (also not their fault) these things were decided long before anyone thought Elvis would die so young.
Trinkets were sold ad nauseum while Elvis was alive-Parker marketed most everything he could get EPs face on while he was alive and after he died-Elvis allowed it to happen. The train began long before Priscilla, or EPE were a thought.
Everyone has their own ideas of what should be done-including me-but what should be done and what is possible are many times miles apart.
None of us here who "speculate" must actually do cost studies, try to get clearances, try to convince others that the millions which need to be spent to "properly expand Elvis's image" are going to show true worthwhile results, and not the results of "speculation"
That is how any business works. Just because its Elvis, or the Beatles or John Wayne does not change the way the world works.
EPE can not buy the recordings, nor the films-how could Sony or Turner set a price on priceless things-which will always turn a profit since the hard work of real production is over-they do not want to sell them.
EPE did not fail to produce the expansion-they sought a partner, they looked for someone to take it to the next level and they sold 85% interest to that partner in order for the "expertise of bigger business" to do just that. People here posted huge elaborate plans, schemes that were about to happen......once again check out my reposting of one such claim from 2006-07 in the other thread about the new sale to Apollo. the claim gave a time table of everything done in 2 years, Sillerman had plenty of money, 2009 expansion completed!
Well so far that expertise has not rang true-thats a negative statement not because of any negative attitude- because it is true.......I add nothing to.... it it stands alone.
Now if the huge ballyhooed speculative plans that were speculated back when the deal was made had been real-I would not be able to say nearly 7 years later that the "expertise EPE sought in the deal" had not been successful. I would be proclaiming that "WOW the rumors of action in 2006-07 were true....the whole thing was done in 2 years and 2009 indeed it was done"
EPE sought expertise in a partner and since then the partner has held 85% interest and they control the ballgame.
Perhaps this time with Apollo-it will be different, they supposedly have huge pockets also so maybe they can swing a deal to buy the music/films and actually have the creative end of Elvis's legacy-but I would not hold my breath.

How can anyone follow that??? :hmm: ;)

Well said my friend...well said!!! Now, if only we could go back in time and convince Elvis to get rid of The Colonel and find a manager who would actually look out for his client's best interests instead of his own selfish interests... :doh: :sad:

TCB!
Mike

vivaelvis
07-16-2011, 09:25 PM

While I don't agree with the original poster's speculation about what was going to happen, I do have to give them a pass only because Jack Soden publicly stated on numerous times that the expansion would be done in just a few years time. Below is a video of him talking about what all they planned and when it would be done, but nothing ever materialized. At the 2:20 mark is all about the expansion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIx73HEDBz0

Below is from an article concerning a proposed indoor theme park in Japan that never happened. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/176712/ELVIS-PARK-PLANNED-IN-JAPAN.html

Plans are under way to build an $80 million Elvistown USA theme park in Tokyo, an official of Elvis Presley Enterprises Inc. said Tuesday.

The theme park in Japan is one of four major projects the company is pursuing, Jack Soden, Graceland executive director and chief exective officer of Elvis Presley Enterprises, told the Memphis Rotary Club. The features, including work in Memphis, are expected to be completed by 1994, Soden said.Other projects: expanding and relocating the Graceland museum of Presley memorabilia; developing a fine arts exhibit of Presley portraits from throughout the country and producing a traveling exhibit.

The plans are part of efforts to diversify Elvis Presley Enterprises' interests, Soden said. He would not estimate how much money the projects could mean for the Presley estate, which opened Graceland, Elvis' mansion, to tours in 1982.

Soden said the Elvistown USA project, begun two years ago, was prompted by the singer's immense popularity in Japan. Japanese businessmen approached Graceland officials with several ideas, including building a duplicate of Graceland in Japan, he said.

Financing is being arranged by the Japanese Development Bank.

Here's another article from 1991 on the proposed park in Tokyo that goes further into the details. http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19910811&slug=1299329

As we all know, none of that ever materialized. Just like his public talk of a cable tv network back in 1997. The fact of the matter is, Jack Soden has never been the right man for the job. But because he invested millions into opening it, Priscilla never could actually replace him. However, he's now 64 and is planning to retire soon so maybe they will get someone in there who's aggressive, a visionary and who's business savvy.

Here's some photos I took back in November of 2010 when I was back in Memphis. As you can see the Plaza is just not that attractive for such a historical and worldly popular attraction.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/umtiger42/P8210005.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/umtiger42/plaza.jpg

lvelvis
07-16-2011, 10:49 PM
over the yeras i believe they have bin loosing money first on the products and now on the tours. I would hope that they now realise that many fans due to the economy can't afford to make it evry year. I'm a homebuilder and i have bin lucky to retire at 41 years old and concentrate on my collection even more , this means i will be buying more photo books, cd's dvds , but i won;t be making the trek to memphis every year. Who knows maybe to entice fans and joe public they will open up the upstairs for tours - it might just happen when they get desperate enough .

vivaelvis
07-16-2011, 11:31 PM
over the yeras i believe they have bin loosing money first on the products and now on the tours. I would hope that they now realise that many fans due to the economy can't afford to make it evry year. I'm a homebuilder and i have bin lucky to retire at 41 years old and concentrate on my collection even more , this means i will be buying more photo books, cd's dvds , but i won;t be making the trek to memphis every year. Who knows maybe to entice fans and joe public they will open up the upstairs for tours - it might just happen when they get desperate enough .

Actually EPE makes the majority of their millions off of merchandise sales than they do ticket sales to Graceland. Most visitors are from overseas so the US economy doesn't impact them as much as it does us here. Lisa will never allow the upstairs to be open, unfortunately. But it would skyrocket tourism if they did. Sometimes you have to let go of the past (Lisa Marie) to make your company more profitable.

KPM
07-17-2011, 12:00 AM
They have continually turned a profit year after year-their attendance figures were only down by about 31,000 compared to 2009 which is slight.
The upstairs will never be opened-I will go on record saying that.

KPM
07-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Actually EPE makes the majority of their millions off of merchandise sales than they do ticket sales to Graceland. Most visitors are from overseas so the US economy doesn't impact them as much as it does us here. Lisa will never allow the upstairs to be open, unfortunately. But it would skyrocket tourism if they did. Sometimes you have to let go of the past (Lisa Marie) to make your company more profitable.
The world is in economic downfall-not just the US-we are actually better off than many countries Greece, Spain, Italy etc.....
Slightly insensitive IMO When you are talking about a loved ones death in tragic circumstance-some things are off limits and profit or loss will not change Lisas mind on keeping the upstairs closed. I am very optimistic that she will keep it closed.

vivaelvis
07-17-2011, 12:11 AM
The world is in economic downfall-not just the US-we are actually better off than many countries Greece, Spain, Italy etc.....
Slightly insensitive IMO When you are talking about a loved ones death in tragic circumstance-some things are off limits and profit or loss will not change Lisas mind on keeping the upstairs closed. I am very optimistic that she will keep it closed.

So what happens should Lisa pass away or be killed prematurely? Who makes the decision then?

vivaelvis
07-17-2011, 12:13 AM
They have continually turned a profit year after year-their attendance figures were only down by about 31,000 compared to 2009 which is slight.
The upstairs will never be opened-I will go on record saying that.

For what it's worth, Graceland was closed down at least 3 different times due to weather inclement in 2010. That would be about 10,000 lost there alone.

Albert
07-17-2011, 12:32 PM

I'm afraid that when Disney gets involved, that "Elvis the Rocker" will be buried and everything will be focused around "Elvis, the ideal friend for you and your children". They can revive the Elvis brand as no one else can, but it will completely build around the 1956-1962 era. And that will sell a LOT, just as it did when Parker was in charge and hold back Elvis' growth as actor, artist and human being. It's playing safe again.

All big moments in Elvis' career were when he (and the people around him) didn't play safe: Sam Philips in 1953/1954, RCA in 1956, Ed Sullivan in 1956, Elvis in 1968 and Parker in 1973. (the CBS special is an example of NOT taking risks, and just playing safe.... by all parties involved).

But the decrease in attendance numbers is good indeed. It forces everyone to think about how to improve things. Hopefully not only for the shareholders, but mostly for the fans (with respect to Elvis' legacy)

KPM
07-19-2011, 11:43 PM
While I don't agree with the original poster's speculation about what was going to happen, I do have to give them a pass only because Jack Soden publicly stated on numerous times that the expansion would be done in just a few years time. Below is a video of him talking about what all they planned and when it would be done, but nothing ever materialized. At the 2:20 mark is all about the expansion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIx73HEDBz0

Below is from an article concerning a proposed indoor theme park in Japan that never happened. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/176712/ELVIS-PARK-PLANNED-IN-JAPAN.html

Plans are under way to build an $80 million Elvistown USA theme park in Tokyo, an official of Elvis Presley Enterprises Inc. said Tuesday.

The theme park in Japan is one of four major projects the company is pursuing, Jack Soden, Graceland executive director and chief exective officer of Elvis Presley Enterprises, told the Memphis Rotary Club. The features, including work in Memphis, are expected to be completed by 1994, Soden said.Other projects: expanding and relocating the Graceland museum of Presley memorabilia; developing a fine arts exhibit of Presley portraits from throughout the country and producing a traveling exhibit.

The plans are part of efforts to diversify Elvis Presley Enterprises' interests, Soden said. He would not estimate how much money the projects could mean for the Presley estate, which opened Graceland, Elvis' mansion, to tours in 1982.

Soden said the Elvistown USA project, begun two years ago, was prompted by the singer's immense popularity in Japan. Japanese businessmen approached Graceland officials with several ideas, including building a duplicate of Graceland in Japan, he said.

Financing is being arranged by the Japanese Development Bank.

Here's another article from 1991 on the proposed park in Tokyo that goes further into the details. http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19910811&slug=1299329

As we all know, none of that ever materialized. Just like his public talk of a cable tv network back in 1997. The fact of the matter is, Jack Soden has never been the right man for the job. But because he invested millions into opening it, Priscilla never could actually replace him. However, he's now 64 and is planning to retire soon so maybe they will get someone in there who's aggressive, a visionary and who's business savvy.

Here's some photos I took back in November of 2010 when I was back in Memphis. As you can see the Plaza is just not that attractive for such a historical and worldly popular attraction.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/umtiger42/P8210005.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/umtiger42/plaza.jpg
And Mr Soden was following the CKX corporate commercial for the moment about what was coming-thats the way business works.
We now know next to nothing happened, not pessimism.... realism.
As far as the 1991 proposed Japan theme park plan-that was not quite how it happened.... investors approached EPE with an idea for the theme park in Japan-EPE wanted to expand across the oceans...the investors were to be given "license" to use Elvis's name and image in the parks, EPE would get a fee for the license and a cut of the ticket prices, merchandising etc....financing was to be done by the investors to get the land in Japan (which is sky high because Japan is so small) and to build the park-the investors could not get the financing they wanted and the deal was lost.
This is an example of exactly why Lisa and EPE began looking for the "Global High Finance Expertise" of someone to help them in moving beyond the height they had achieved.
The pro CKX posters who were making the bold claims here from the 2005 date on obviously thought this was the case-as they touted the benefits soon coming to EPE because of CKX and for Memphis.
The fate of Memphis was a huge concern for these posters, and they tied it to the deal with CKX. I argued and still argue that Memphis should act to clean up its city-independent of any changes to Graceland-that is their responsilbilty to all citizens and business. Memphis should be protecting the golden goose that butters their bread citywide. During the recent flooding one official got it right -he said there was no danger to Graceland...but if their were the city would protect Graceland with everything they had-because of its financial importance to the city.
The citizens and government of Memphis seem to most times just wait...for CKX/Apollo/EPE to do the heavy lifting to raise the city above crime, blight, and years of inaction to rebuild the city. That is wrong on all levels.
Graceland has brought 100s of millions into the city coffers and into business's since it opened and back to when Elvis lived-people visited to see his house from behind the iron gates vacation money spent in hotels, restaurants, bars, shops and it will continue to be the golden goose in a time when many cities would give anything for even half the draw it brings.

KPM
07-19-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm afraid that when Disney gets involved, that "Elvis the Rocker" will be buried and everything will be focused around "Elvis, the ideal friend for you and your children". They can revive the Elvis brand as no one else can, but it will completely build around the 1956-1962 era. And that will sell a LOT, just as it did when Parker was in charge and hold back Elvis' growth as actor, artist and human being. It's playing safe again.

All big moments in Elvis' career were when he (and the people around him) didn't play safe: Sam Philips in 1953/1954, RCA in 1956, Ed Sullivan in 1956, Elvis in 1968 and Parker in 1973. (the CBS special is an example of NOT taking risks, and just playing safe.... by all parties involved).

But the decrease in attendance numbers is good indeed. It forces everyone to think about how to improve things. Hopefully not only for the shareholders, but mostly for the fans (with respect to Elvis' legacy)
Don't worry...I think this is someones pipe dream-Disney is not going into any all out partnership with anything that does not promote, market, and maintain a huge Disney connection. So I have no worry about Disney getting deeply involved in full partnerships to promote Elvis.
They may use his music, or even broadcast some films over time-thats quite different from all out deep financial backing for something.

vivaelvis
07-20-2011, 12:51 AM
And Mr Soden was following the CKX corporate commercial for the moment about what was coming-thats the way business works.
We now know next to nothing happened, not pessimism.... realism.
As far as the 1991 proposed Japan theme park plan-that was not quite how it happened.... investors approached EPE with an idea for the theme park in Japan-EPE wanted to expand across the oceans...the investors were to be given "license" to use Elvis's name and image in the parks, EPE would get a fee for the license and a cut of the ticket prices, merchandising etc....financing was to be done by the investors to get the land in Japan (which is sky high because Japan is so small) and to build the park-the investors could not get the financing they wanted and the deal was lost.
This is an example of exactly why Lisa and EPE began looking for the "Global High Finance Expertise" of someone to help them in moving beyond the height they had achieved.
The pro CKX posters who were making the bold claims here from the 2005 date on obviously thought this was the case-as they touted the benefits soon coming to EPE because of CKX and for Memphis.
The fate of Memphis was a huge concern for these posters, and they tied it to the deal with CKX. I argued and still argue that Memphis should act to clean up its city-independent of any changes to Graceland-that is their responsilbilty to all citizens and business. Memphis should be protecting the golden goose that butters their bread citywide. During the recent flooding one official got it right -he said there was no danger to Graceland...but if their were the city would protect Graceland with everything they had-because of its financial importance to the city.
The citizens and government of Memphis seem to most times just wait...for CKX/Apollo/EPE to do the heavy lifting to raise the city above crime, blight, and years of inaction to rebuild the city. That is wrong on all levels.
Graceland has brought 100s of millions into the city coffers and into business's since it opened and back to when Elvis lived-people visited to see his house from behind the iron gates vacation money spent in hotels, restaurants, bars, shops and it will continue to be the golden goose in a time when many cities would give anything for even half the draw it brings.

Memphis has and probably always will be a backwards-ran city. The previous mayor, Willie Herenton was a clown who always played the race card on everything to get what he wanted. He was a well known crook (even the black community was against him) who stole money from the city and got away with it. He never cared about Elvis, hence the deteriorating of the Graceland area. The current mayor, AC Wharton is a much better leader and is also close to the Presley's and has made revitalizing the area a top priority. He's also made ways for the city budget cuts not to include the money needed for improvements.

Herenton was never gonna do anything around Graceland until CKX proposed pouring millions into the area with the backing of public support. Then, all of a sudden the city leaders got behind it. How ironic. But the longer CKX and EPE keep putting expansion and redevelopment on hold the less the support will be there.

Like I have said before, I am an optimistic person, and I know the economic difficulties are an issue, but if they haven't begun some kind of upgrading at Graceland by the end of 2012 then I won't be as optimistic much longer.

KPM
07-20-2011, 03:01 AM
Memphis has and probably always will be a backwards-ran city. The previous mayor, Willie Herenton was a clown who always played the race card on everything to get what he wanted. He was a well known crook (even the black community was against him) who stole money from the city and got away with it. He never cared about Elvis, hence the deteriorating of the Graceland area. The current mayor, AC Wharton is a much better leader and is also close to the Presley's and has made revitalizing the area a top priority. He's also made ways for the city budget cuts not to include the money needed for improvements.

Herenton was never gonna do anything around Graceland until CKX proposed pouring millions into the area with the backing of public support. Then, all of a sudden the city leaders got behind it. How ironic. But the longer CKX and EPE keep putting expansion and redevelopment on hold the less the support will be there.

Like I have said before, I am an optimistic person, and I know the economic difficulties are an issue, but if they haven't begun some kind of upgrading at Graceland by the end of 2012 then I won't be as optimistic much longer.
Well as I pointed out-from 2008 until today the economy is in backspin-2012 will not be much different.
Today cities are fighting to just keep basic services going, fighting to keep police and firefighters on duty, layoffs are happening in every state, every city every county.
Today the talk was about trillions in reductions for the federal government-that will translate into fewer dollars for states, cities and counties thru federal aid and grants. Optimistically I would say you will be lucky if Memphis does not have over a 10% layoff rate for its basic services for the foreseeable future. Terrible shortsighted for any citizen or official to wait to see if money is going to be spent to decide to invest in infrastructure that keeps your "golden goose" filling the egg basket.
Gracelands upgrade will depend on how Apollo decides to go foreword-if they have the pockets you proclaimed-then they will do what they feel is necessary to prudently upgrade to further their investment......but everyday they procrastinate-interest rates will only go up which tightens money.
Right now prime rates are at historicly low rates...but if they have the capital why should they need to borrow. Its all in Apollos hands. I certainly hope they seize the moment and act-and not take the wait and see attitude.
If they wait I am still confident in drawing power of Elvis, the charisma.... that is the golden goose.

vivaelvis
07-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Well as I pointed out-from 2008 until today the economy is in backspin-2012 will not be much different.
Today cities are fighting to just keep basic services going, fighting to keep police and firefighters on duty, layoffs are happening in every state, every city every county.
Today the talk was about trillions in reductions for the federal government-that will translate into fewer dollars for states, cities and counties thru federal aid and grants. Optimistically I would say you will be lucky if Memphis does not have over a 10% layoff rate for its basic services for the foreseeable future. Terrible shortsighted for any citizen or official to wait to see if money is going to be spent to decide to invest in infrastructure that keeps your "golden goose" filling the egg basket.
Gracelands upgrade will depend on how Apollo decides to go foreword-if they have the pockets you proclaimed-then they will do what they feel is necessary to prudently upgrade to further their investment......but everyday they procrastinate-interest rates will only go up which tightens money.
Right now prime rates are at historicly low rates...but if they have the capital why should they need to borrow. Its all in Apollos hands. I certainly hope they seize the moment and act-and not take the wait and see attitude.
If they wait I am still confident in drawing power of Elvis, the charisma.... that is the golden goose.

It's not what I claim. Facts speak for their self. This website points out just how financially stable Apollo is. http://www.agm.com/OurBusiness.aspx

And here's the wiki page of their history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Management

KPM
07-20-2011, 05:45 PM
It's not what I claim. Facts speak for their self. This website points out just how financially stable Apollo is. http://www.agm.com/OurBusiness.aspx

And here's the wiki page of their history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Management
In 2005 the same type info was given for Sillerman-and that ended up not being totally the case-(as you yourself said in another post to the effect of Apollo has deep pockets that Sillerman did not have)
I have already checked out Apollo when the name was first mentioned-which is where some of my own thoughts started on them.
They specialize in leveraged buyouts-in other words borrowing to buy. So another scenario that could fit into past performance is they leverage the buy at historically low rates wait a few years "tinker here and there" and then when the stock has gone up considerably they make a killing by selling CKX (perhaps to one of the other buyers which put together groups to try this time) they pay off their loans and make a tidy profit all for buying low and selling high. It is the number one way most on the stock market make their big profits.
So sense we are speculating on their course I will say that is also a path they could take.
If you are correct-they should begin major things fairly quick-waiting serves no purpose because they have the deep pocket to move-isnt that a fair assessment?

vivaelvis
07-20-2011, 06:46 PM
In 2005 the same type info was given for Sillerman-and that ended up not being totally the case-(as you yourself said in another post to the effect of Apollo has deep pockets that Sillerman did not have)
I have already checked out Apollo when the name was first mentioned-which is where some of my own thoughts started on them.
They specialize in leveraged buyouts-in other words borrowing to buy. So another scenario that could fit into past performance is they leverage the buy at historically low rates wait a few years "tinker here and there" and then when the stock has gone up considerably they make a killing by selling CKX (perhaps to one of the other buyers which put together groups to try this time) they pay off their loans and make a tidy profit all for buying low and selling high. It is the number one way most on the stock market make their big profits.
So sense we are speculating on their course I will say that is also a path they could take.
If you are correct-they should begin major things fairly quick-waiting serves no purpose because they have the deep pocket to move-isnt that a fair assessment?

It doesn't matter what someone posted on a forum that was THEIR opinion about the situation. What does matter is the facts.

Fact 1: CKX was an entertainment business first and foremost who had a limited amount to invest. They also only have 6 assets to make profit off of. None of which are well established corporations. Their stockholders were never comfortable with spending a billion or more on a dead entertainer and a tv reality show. Therefore leading to failure to impress investors.

Fact 2: When FXRE defaulted on payments for the Park Central Property in Las Vegas where an Elvis resort was planned, they filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy which led to being a defunct company and stressing CKX. FXRE was the reale estate company that was to build the new hotel at Graceland too. Therefore, derailing both projects.

Fact 3: Apollo doesn't depend solely on entertainment assets as CKX does. They have a diversity of assets and a networth of over $16 billion and stock at over $16.00 a share. The previous situation with CKX is nothing at all comparable to what Apollo has and can offer the companies.

Fact 4: Rushing into anything, in this unstable economic uncertainty would be a mistake by anyone. However, should that happen and they were to struggle making payments then Apollo would step in and cover debt charges. Whereas that could not have happened to CKX on their own. Hence the reason for going private with a PE backer.

Here's some excerpts to what is posted on the CKX annual report that may be of some interest.

* The nature of our intellectual property lends itself to the establishment of logical business partnerships with a number of Apollo portfolio companies. As a result of our relationship with Apollo, we believe we will have the ability to pursue mutually beneficial arrangements with selected Apollo portfolio companies, including Caesars Entertainment and Norwegian Cruise Line.

* Apollo has a record of building companies over long periods of time via organic growth measures and acquisitions. Drawing on Apollo’s capital resources as well as its expertise in sourcing and executing synergistic acquisitions, we will seek transactions with entities or individuals that we believe will allow us to create and develop new content.

* In addition, the Graceland attraction was opened to the public in the 1980s and lacks many of the amenities and points-of-sale that one would expect from a tourist destination that garners over 500,000 visitors per annum. We see an opportunity to renovate the Graceland visitor experience as well as the adjacent Heartbreak Hotel to attract attendees and generate incremental per capita spending on merchandise and food & beverage. Other near-term growth opportunities include expanding the Viva Elvis show format into new markets, including potentially international markets, as well as opening new American Idol attractions, similar to what exists in Disney World in Florida today.

* The Elvis Business generates ongoing licensing revenue and royalties from a diversified group of approximately 250 licensees and a library of approximately 1,150 song copyrights. While Elvis passed away nearly 34 years ago, he remains one of the most widely recognized and top earning celebrities and attracted over 500,000 visitors to Graceland for each of the last 27 years. We estimate that first-time Graceland attendees accounted for 75% of visitors over the last 4 years and that at least 23% of visitors during the past 3 years were younger than 34 years old.

vivaelvis
07-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Just found this on a blog posted last week.

The housing chief also mentioned Memphis' most famous house, Elvis Presley's Graceland, is once again in the process of becoming a more significant attraction with its new owners developing the area surrounding the rock star's mansion. http://southmemphis.wmctv.com/news/news/choice-neighborhood-grant-focuses-impoverished-south-memphis/55520

KPM
07-20-2011, 09:44 PM
It doesn't matter what someone posted on a forum that was THEIR opinion about the situation. What does matter is the facts. Fact 1: CKX was an entertainment business first and foremost who had a limited amount to invest. They also only have 6 assets to make profit off of. None of which are well established corporations. Their stockholders were never comfortable with spending a billion or more on a dead entertainer and a tv reality show. Therefore leading to failure to impress investors.

Fact 2: When FXRE defaulted on payments for the Park Central Property in Las Vegas where an Elvis resort was planned, they filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy which led to being a defunct company and stressing CKX. FXRE was the reale estate company that was to build the new hotel at Graceland too. Therefore, derailing both projects.

Fact 3: Apollo doesn't depend solely on entertainment assets as CKX does. They have a diversity of assets and a networth of over $16 billion and stock at over $16.00 a share. The previous situation with CKX is nothing at all comparable to what Apollo has and can offer the companies.

Fact 4: Rushing into anything, in this unstable economic uncertainty would be a mistake by anyone. However, should that happen and they were to struggle making payments then Apollo would step in and cover debt charges. Whereas that could not have happened to CKX on their own. Hence the reason for going private with a PE backer.

Here's some excerpts to what is posted on the CKX annual report that may be of some interest.

* The nature of our intellectual property lends itself to the establishment of logical business partnerships with a number of Apollo portfolio companies. As a result of our relationship with Apollo, we believe we will have the ability to pursue mutually beneficial arrangements with selected Apollo portfolio companies, including Caesars Entertainment and Norwegian Cruise Line.

* Apollo has a record of building companies over long periods of time via organic growth measures and acquisitions. Drawing on Apollo’s capital resources as well as its expertise in sourcing and executing synergistic acquisitions, we will seek transactions with entities or individuals that we believe will allow us to create and develop new content.

* In addition, the Graceland attraction was opened to the public in the 1980s and lacks many of the amenities and points-of-sale that one would expect from a tourist destination that garners over 500,000 visitors per annum. We see an opportunity to renovate the Graceland visitor experience as well as the adjacent Heartbreak Hotel to attract attendees and generate incremental per capita spending on merchandise and food & beverage. Other near-term growth opportunities include expanding the Viva Elvis show format into new markets, including potentially international markets, as well as opening new American Idol attractions, similar to what exists in Disney World in Florida today.

* The Elvis Business generates ongoing licensing revenue and royalties from a diversified group of approximately 250 licensees and a library of approximately 1,150 song copyrights. While Elvis passed away nearly 34 years ago, he remains one of the most widely recognized and top earning celebrities and attracted over 500,000 visitors to Graceland for each of the last 27 years. We estimate that first-time Graceland attendees accounted for 75% of visitors over the last 4 years and that at least 23% of visitors during the past 3 years were younger than 34 years old.
Sure it matters-they called it facts back then. You see my point? They also gave websites with "fact" to impress upon we here how things were going to improve quickly and smoothly. It did not...the deep pockets were threadbare, the expertise now is seen as lacking and failures on many fronts occured....planning, final plans etc....
Now today we have a brand new entity in the mix, and the same scenario-with all due respect....pardon the skepticism.... but its warranted with the history so far.
I on the other hand in 05 gave reasoning as to why things "perhaps" might not go as glowingly as presented-similar to things you posted in comparing Sillerman/CKX to Apollo.
When a company describes itself and its partners in its annual reports-do you expect to see doom and gloom? Do you really expect to see them dis their own company and its new parent company? Of course not, the best face is put on all situations, the best face is put on hostile takeovers, stock drops, revenues and projections of growth. Thats why in 2005 people could post the glowing future of EPEs 85% sale to CKX because the best face is always shown. That is not a criticism... its a fact- all companys are not in the habit of discouraging its stockholders with a laundry list of the bad news, the best slant is put on everything. I have said if this is as you say-then things will change quickly and the show will be on the road.
The plans for what they will do-are vague purposely......We see an opportunity to renovate the Graceland visitor experience as well as the adjacent Heartbreak Hotel to attract attendees and generate incremental per capita spending on merchandise and food & beverage. Other near-term growth opportunities include expanding the Viva Elvis show format into new markets, including potentially international markets, as well as opening new American Idol attractions, similar to what exists in Disney World in Florida today.
The first statement about "renovating the Graceland visitor experience" could be almost anything from new paint-new guides, new merchandise,....to the grand state of the art museum that has been proposed for years.......
Near term growth opportunities-translation-we may do some of these, and then again we may not. Expanding Viva Elvis into new markets-so the show goes on the road-thats a no brainer-perhaps taking it overseas...duh.... "Generate Incremental per capita spending on merchandise and food and drink....."wow they want to make more money off the things they sell.
The..."We may open American Idol attractions similar to what exists in Disney World"?? At Graceland?.....near Graceland?....In Memphis?
Its a typical stock holders report that celebrates the company and stresses the great things to come-in a couple years we will see how it plays out.
But you know what I notice? Not a mention of promoting Elvis the artist, not a mention of music or videos except about song copyrights....business is business.
You see I have a disdain for big business, even though I understand thats the way it works.
If Parker the big business man had worried more about the artist and growth... perhaps we would not have Graceland open today.
We would not have to worry about a dead Elvis's legacy.... because he might still be with us!
Had he been encouraged to embrace creative people, embrace working with those outside the Parker approved list, embrace the attitude that creation should not be just about profit.....that created works have a value beyond the time of the greatest airplay/sales, that films (even Clambake) had a worth and a portion of ownership should have been in the contracts after 1960......we would not be debating Apollos moves to maximise the potential profit off his name-we might be waiting for his next big hit.
CKX/Apollo/Sillerman/Parker all are big business-profit/loss/overhead/tax writeoffs/merchandise/ticket prices/bigger buildings/making figures tell the story you want (and dont kid yourself figures can be made to show any scenario they want)
EPE/Lisa.... I give a slight pass to...because they inherited the aftermath of what short sighted big business accomplished in the career and life of Elvis-Little ownership of his creations........only his smile and charisma to work with.
So I will admit I am hugely skeptical of what is said when someone talks of big business being involved-in anything.
That is not pessimism that is following history as we know it.

vivaelvis
07-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Sure it matters-they called it facts back then. You see my point? They also gave websites with "fact" to impress upon we here how things were going to improve quickly and smoothly. It did not...the deep pockets were threadbare, the expertise now is seen as lacking and failures on many fronts occured....planning, final plans etc....
Now today we have a brand new entity in the mix, and the same scenario-with all due respect....pardon the skepticism.... but its warranted with the history so far.
I on the other hand in 05 gave reasoning as to why things "perhaps" might not go as glowingly as presented-similar to things you posted in comparing Sillerman/CKX to Apollo.
When a company describes itself and its partners in its annual reports-do you expect to see doom and gloom? Do you really expect to see them dis their own company and its new parent company? Of course not, the best face is put on all situations, the best face is put on hostile takeovers, stock drops, revenues and projections of growth. Thats why in 2005 people could post the glowing future of EPEs 85% sale to CKX because the best face is always shown. That is not a criticism... its a fact- all companys are not in the habit of discouraging its stockholders with a laundry list of the bad news, the best slant is put on everything. I have said if this is as you say-then things will change quickly and the show will be on the road.
The plans for what they will do-are vague purposely......We see an opportunity to renovate the Graceland visitor experience as well as the adjacent Heartbreak Hotel to attract attendees and generate incremental per capita spending on merchandise and food & beverage. Other near-term growth opportunities include expanding the Viva Elvis show format into new markets, including potentially international markets, as well as opening new American Idol attractions, similar to what exists in Disney World in Florida today.
The first statement about "renovating the Graceland visitor experience" could be almost anything from new paint-new guides, new merchandise,....to the grand state of the art museum that has been proposed for years.......
Near term growth opportunities-translation-we may do some of these, and then again we may not. Expanding Viva Elvis into new markets-so the show goes on the road-thats a no brainer-perhaps taking it overseas...duh.... "Generate Incremental per capita spending on merchandise and food and drink....."wow they want to make more money off the things they sell.
The..."We may open American Idol attractions similar to what exists in Disney World"?? At Graceland?.....near Graceland?....In Memphis?
Its a typical stock holders report that celebrates the company and stresses the great things to come-in a couple years we will see how it plays out.
But you know what I notice? Not a mention of promoting Elvis the artist, not a mention of music or videos except about song copyrights....business is business.
You see I have a disdain for big business, even though I understand thats the way it works.
If Parker the big business man had worried more about the artist and growth... perhaps we would not have Graceland open today.
We would not have to worry about a dead Elvis's legacy.... because he might still be with us!
Had he been encouraged to embrace creative people, embrace working with those outside the Parker approved list, embrace the attitude that creation should not be just about profit.....that created works have a value beyond the time of the greatest airplay/sales, that films (even Clambake) had a worth and a portion of ownership should have been in the contracts after 1960......we would not be debating Apollos moves to maximise the potential profit off his name-we might be waiting for his next big hit.
CKX/Apollo/Sillerman/Parker all are big business-profit/loss/overhead/tax writeoffs/merchandise/ticket prices/bigger buildings/making figures tell the story you want (and dont kid yourself figures can be made to show any scenario they want)
EPE/Lisa.... I give a slight pass to...because they inherited the aftermath of what short sighted big business accomplished in the career and life of Elvis-Little ownership of his creations........only his smile and charisma to work with.
So I will admit I am hugely skeptical of what is said when someone talks of big business being involved-in anything.
That is not pessimism that is following history as we know it.

I understand all of that and how companies work. I'm not denying that. My only argument is don't see the glass half empty or full. Don't assume that just because things didn't work out the way they were expected to the first time with CKX that it'll be the same story this time around with Apollo. CKX was worth less than $1 billion when they bought EPE. Apollo's networth is $16 billion.

Anyone who posted in the past thinking that it would be a smooth ride were obviously not as knowledgeable about the company's history. That's why I say forget them. They were in the dark about the situation. I told people then it wouldn't happen overnight and may hit roadblocks. Whenever you're dealing with that amount of funding that includes federal and state cooperation then you're going to hit a snag or two.

I have noticed on numerous times as well that CKX fails to mention about the music and videos/movies of Elvis. That may be because they do not own them so why speak of them? They have in the past mentioned about owning 65% royalty rights to the movie catalog and 10% to the music. No disrespect but I really don't care what someone of yesteryear posted on a message board. That was then, this is now. Yes, I will agree with you that the circumstances remain the same....in a similar way. Like I have stressed in my posts on this, CKX never had the backing or funding that many thought. They jumped the gun by proposing such a massive project, both in Memphis and Las Vegas, without any guaranteed funding lined up. That is a company's number one thing NOT to do if you don't want to look like a fool when you fail. Sillerman was a fool to make those announcements.

What he should have done was say "we are looking at expanding the Graceland area and developing an Elvis resort hotel and casino in Las Vegas with raising of capital funding". Don't come out and announce something that you have no control over. That was his biggest mistake in my opinion.

KPM
07-20-2011, 11:34 PM
I understand all of that and how companies work. I'm not denying that. My only argument is don't see the glass half empty or full. Don't assume that just because things didn't work out the way they were expected to the first time with CKX that it'll be the same story this time around with Apollo. CKX was worth less than $1 billion when they bought EPE. Apollo's networth is $16 billion.

Anyone who posted in the past thinking that it would be a smooth ride were obviously not as knowledgeable about the company's history. That's why I say forget them. They were in the dark about the situation. I told people then it wouldn't happen overnight and may hit roadblocks. Whenever you're dealing with that amount of funding that includes federal and state cooperation then you're going to hit a snag or two.

I have noticed on numerous times as well that CKX fails to mention about the music and videos/movies of Elvis. That may be because they do not own them so why speak of them? They have in the past mentioned about owning 65% royalty rights to the movie catalog and 10% to the music. No disrespect but I really don't care what someone of yesteryear posted on a message board. That was then, this is now. Yes, I will agree with you that the circumstances remain the same....in a similar way. Like I have stressed in my posts on this, CKX never had the backing or funding that many thought. They jumped the gun by proposing such a massive project, both in Memphis and Las Vegas, without any guaranteed funding lined up. That is a company's number one thing NOT to do if you don't want to look like a fool when you fail. Sillerman was a fool to make those announcements.

What he should have done was say "we are looking at expanding the Graceland area and developing an Elvis resort hotel and casino in Las Vegas with raising of capital funding". Don't come out and announce something that you have no control over. That was his biggest mistake in my opinion.
You may not care-but I do. I do because how do you gauge any given situation in life....by the experiences you have in similar situations.
You learn from those similar situations and you filter new info thru them-thats why the first time you are burnt as a child-you learn to not next time be so trusting, careless or accepting of a close flame....you watch how the wind blows, you judge the heat and you show respect...or else you are burnt again. The people of "yesteryear" made the same argument for CKX-with links and press releases that you do for Apollo...they also were sure of their facts.....as I said its not hard to understand the skeptisism of some of us. I assume nothing good or bad.
This is the same-most of us will judge Apollo not by what you say will happen, not even what they say will happen.....it will be by what actually happens. I do not see the glass as half full, or half empty......in reality it is one in the same thing.
If someone is thirsty they will see it as half emply, if they are not.... its half full....the situation for the glass is the same-the circumstance of the individual is different.
I learned long long ago trust half of what you see and none of what you hear....it has served me successfully in private life and business overtime.