PDA

View Full Version : SHOULD EPE BE MORE AGGRESIVE IN PROMOTING ELVIS AS "THE KING"?

JRtherealJR
07-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Michael Jackson is getting a lot of promotion as "The King" and Elvis is not. Should EPE wake up and start to aggresively promote Elvis as The King at last? We all know Elvis himself never liked the title- so perhaps this is why EPE does not go out of their way in respect of his personal viewpoint. But it really is time that they start to package and promote the King as the King!

I'm worried about the general public being taken in by all of the Kingly imagery which is plastered over every new Michael Jackson CD or DVD: Crowns, coats of arms, cherubs....and of course the title KING OF POP. This is all iconography which Jackson himself started, and which he worked very hard to perpetuate during his lifetime. It's about time Elvis' Estate started doing the same with the true King and not just a self-proclaimed title from a man who would refuse to go onstage unless he was introduced as the King Of Pop.

I don't want to bash Jackson too much here, but he could not play any instruments (Bill Wolfer confirmed this) mimed at all of his concerts in the Dangerous and History tours, never gave credit to those who he stole from (Jeffrey Daniel, Cooley Jaxson etc.)and was not nearly as much of a revolutionary as Elvis was.

Elvis has been crowned the King BY US...his fans! And for 40 years he has been known as such. There are signs that EPE is finally realising the danger from Jacksons publicity as they have begun to put up a few posters for a concert in Elvis Week this year which say something about "spending the evening with the King" so this is a start I suppose.

Of course there is a conflict of interest as Sony represents both Elvis and Jackson- so will both artists eventually be given equal promotion as Kings from Sony? And should EPE be doing more?

vivaelvis
07-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Actually Elvis was crowned King as far back as 1956. Michael Jackson died only two years ago and the Elvis lovefest 34 years later outweighs Jackson's by a landslide. But I do agree that EPE, as big as they are today, should put more into marketing and promoting Elvis and Graceland than they do.

JRtherealJR
07-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Ah, this is what I was thinking of:

http://i51.tinypic.com/14ecbbq.jpg

It's pertaining to one of the highlight's of this years Elvis Week- a very special performance of the amazing virtual concert on August 13.

It's a start I suppose....I just hope EPE will continue to build on this and start to market Elvis more appropriately.

Yes I certainly agree that they should put much more into their marketing!

KPM
07-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Pretty much everyone knows who the King of Rock is-and its acknowledged every day on radio when his songs are played, on Tv when a story concerning him is broadcast. Elvis did not "dictate" that anyone call him the King-whereas MJ decided that "KIng of POP"
should be his title (and he wanted some type of title pretty badly)
I think Elvis did not worry about any royal title being used-but he was flattered I'm sure.
MJ fans are the one who call him the King of Pop-everyone know the true King is Elvis I have no doubt.
As far as marketing Elvis-they can only have so many "special anniversaries" and when those years come around the hype begins usually a year before and continues thru the anniversary year.
I doubt they can come up with some new huge campaign every year-or you water down the special nature of the events. IMO
But I do not worry about the King of Pop-not at all.

vivaelvis
07-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Pretty much everyone knows who the King of Rock is-and its acknowledged every day on radio when his songs are played, on Tv when a story concerning him is broadcast. Elvis did not "dictate" that anyone call him the King-whereas MJ decided that "KIng of POP"
should be his title (and he wanted some type of title pretty badly)
I think Elvis did not worry about any royal title being used-but he was flattered I'm sure.
MJ fans are the one who call him the King of Pop-everyone know the true King is Elvis I have no doubt.
As far as marketing Elvis-they can only have so many "special anniversaries" and when those years come around the hype begins usually a year before and continues thru the anniversary year.
I doubt they can come up with some new huge campaign every year-or you water down the special nature of the events. IMO
But I do not worry about the King of Pop-not at all.

I totally agree. Jackson, as great as he was, is nowhere near Elvis' orbit. Elvis actually hated the term "king" because it went against his religious beliefs.

As for the marketing campaign, 2012 is being prepped as the biggest Elvis year ever!

Jungleroom76
07-12-2011, 12:03 AM
I think the key here is what Ken said...Elvis was "dubbed" THE KING by his fans, whereas MJ promoted HIMSELF as the KING OF POP. There is an enormous difference, especially when MJ has to give himself the title!! (n)

Although in my opinion there is no denying who the REAL King is, I do agree that it certainly wouldn't hurt to get a little more "King" type promotion from EPE just to keep it out there!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

JRtherealJR
07-12-2011, 12:35 AM
I think the key here is what Ken said...Elvis was "dubbed" THE KING by his fans, whereas MJ promoted HIMSELF as the KING OF POP. (n)

True. True. But I believe I was the First one to make that point in this thread. Credit where it's due and all that.........(y)

KPM
07-12-2011, 01:02 AM
Yes my friend you said it first here in this thread no offense meant.
I have mentioned it several times in the last few years in threads which have a MJ connection because many do not know how MJ got that title.
Some think it was MTV who gave it to him, others say Liz Taylor gave him the name-but it was of his own making, and he contractually asked MTV and others to refer to him in promotions when he worked with them on music specials..... or aired one of his new videos
It a good point in EPs favor.

Jungleroom76
07-12-2011, 04:22 PM
True. True. But I believe I was the First one to make that point in this thread. Credit where it's due and all that.........(y)

Sorry about that my friend....when I edited my post, I left you out... :doh:

I didn't mean to do that...my fault... :blush:

TCB!
Mike