PDA

View Full Version : will never listen to this album again: Elvis as Recorded Live In Madison 1977

Albert
07-03-2011, 03:31 PM
I received the "Elvis as Recorded Live In Madison, June 24, 1977" yesterday. It's the final soundboard recorded from an Elvis show and was also featured on the "Final Curtain" boxset.

So today I gave this disc a spin. I thought I turned deaf!! There's a very load high pitch sound throughout the show. It's actually painful to listen to this show. So this leaves me wondering: would it really be that difficult to remove this one tone in a studio while remastering? It's not like removing instruments or other variable sounds.

Horrible, horrible.... I didn't even finish listen the album and have only skipped through the songs.

Does anyone else experienced this problem? I will search for this show on the Final Curtain boxset and check if this problem occurs there also.

Diane
07-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you Albert. I hope you find that your set is defective and can exchange it for a clean one. If it isn't then they should be ashamed to have put it on the market!

Jungleroom76
07-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Sorry Boss...the problem doesn't exist on the FINAL CURTAIN set, at least not as badly as it sounds on the CD you've got... (n)

TCB!
Mike

rickb
07-04-2011, 02:12 AM
It sounds OK on the boxset, but it's not a great show

Jungleroom76
07-04-2011, 07:38 PM
It sounds OK on the boxset, but it's not a great show

It's certainly not one of his best no doubt, but personally, I don't think this show is nearly as bad as people have been making it out to be. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

rickb
07-05-2011, 06:59 AM
He sounds OK and alert but it is too short and lacks the big power ballads that made his '77 more engrossing

Albert
07-05-2011, 10:33 AM
I just borrowed disc 5 from the Final Curtain boxset (same show) from a friend and to my astonishment I heard the same horrible high pitched tone the whole album!

Did nobody else notice this? Same show on two different cd's (different labels) and both have this painful noise. Unbelievable and very disappointing. Well, at least it soften the pain of not being able to buy the Final Curtain boxset lol

By the way, the fact that these soundproblems couldn't be fixed by the engineers of both labels, only proofs that the so called 'professional remastering' can be taken with a spoonful of sugar ;)

Jungleroom76
07-05-2011, 04:10 PM
He sounds OK and alert but it is too short and lacks the big power ballads that made his '77 more engrossing

That is true....the show is missing the big ballads which make the '77 shows so powerful! That is certainly a big negative against the show, along with the short length of the show. I was mainly thinking in terms of his singing and his between song banter that he sounds much better than other '77 shows. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
07-05-2011, 04:10 PM
I just borrowed disc 5 from the Final Curtain boxset (same show) from a friend and to my astonishment I heard the same horrible high pitched tone the whole album!

Did nobody else notice this? Same show on two different cd's (different labels) and both have this painful noise. Unbelievable and very disappointing. Well, at least it soften the pain of not being able to buy the Final Curtain boxset lol

By the way, the fact that these soundproblems couldn't be fixed by the engineers of both labels, only proofs that the so called 'professional remastering' can be taken with a spoonful of sugar ;)

There is no doubt that the sound is there...must be you are just more sensitive to the noise than other people... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Albert
07-05-2011, 04:34 PM
I do have good hearing. Can you check this site and see if you can still hear those high tones? Of course it depends on your speakers and all, but it's still some sort of a benchmark: http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

This high pitch I hear on this two CD's are comparable with the 15 kHz example on that page. I was able to hear up to the 18 kHz pitch.

I guess that when you have an audioprogram that can show the tune charts, that this high pitch noise must be visible?

lvelvis
07-05-2011, 11:54 PM
to me the sound on the box set sounds fine-i've used headphones and their is a slight and i mean a very slight hum durring the first 3 songs and then it totaly disapears. I can't understand bootlegers bootlegging others material and releasing it in horrid quality that is **** stupid. I hope all who bought this second release will dump it on their dealers doorstep this is just greedy people takin advantage of ELVIS fans something that has bin done for many eons. As for the show it's obvious he is having a better time than the audience , it is truly a let down stump sure outshines him this night- he should have called in sick or uninterested for the show, it's truly a lacklustre show in evry sense of the word.