PDA

View Full Version : When Elvis met Nixon

veronik
12-20-2004, 09:13 PM
The letter and pictures from the meeting of Elvis Presley with President Richard Nixon.

TCB,

Veronik

veronik
12-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Elvis Presley met President Richard M. Nixon in the Oval Office in December 1970. A photograph of that meeting is one of the most famous in the holdings of the National Archives. Through the original letters and memorandums written by Presley and the White House staff, this exhibit tells the behind-the-scenes story of how the meeting was arranged. In addition, we present for the photographs taken of this remarkable event.
The Letter
On the morning of December 21, 1970, Elvis Presley personally delivered a letter to the northwest gate of the White House. Written on American Airlines stationery, the five-page letter requested a meeting with President Nixon. Presley intended to present the President with a gift of a World War II-era pistol and obtain for himself the credentials of a federal agent in the war on drugs.

TCB
Veronik

Captain Elwood David
12-21-2004, 03:58 AM
You can also view the items that EP gifted to Nixon that day @ The Nixon Presidential Library in Yorba Linda, California (USA):

- Signed / Inscribed Family Photos

- Commemorative Pistol in a presentation case replete with several silver bullets (like The Lone Ranger ...... ;) )

Quite impressive (on both counts), I might add.

- Capt. "EL."

Albert
12-21-2004, 08:54 AM
I've always had this mixed feeling about his visit to the White House. On the one hand I find it cool that our guy visited the president this way (the suit, the glasses, his attitude), but on the other hand it marks the ending of the positive side of the 70s-era.

The Elvis from 1969-1970 was very different from the one that we know from 1971-1977. His cheer, his voice, his voice, his behaviour, his personal life, his marriage, his physique... It never would be a mixture anymore of only positive things.

Don't get me wrong, I don't say that Elvis didn't do fantastic shows after 1970, or record bad tracks. But the magic of his comeback seemed to vanish after that christmas in december and problems were starting to arise (quickly).

P.S. Annie
12-21-2004, 09:12 PM
I've always had this mixed feeling about his visit to the White House. On the one hand I find it cool that our guy visited the president this way (the suit, the glasses, his attitude), but on the other hand it marks the ending of the positive side of the 70s-era.

The Elvis from 1969-1970 was very different from the one that we know from 1971-1977. His cheer, his voice, his voice, his behaviour, his personal life, his marriage, his physique... It never would be a mixture anymore of only positive things.

Don't get me wrong, I don't say that Elvis didn't do fantastic shows after 1970, or record bad tracks. But the magic of his comeback seemed to vanish after that christmas in december and problems were starting to arise (quickly).

Unfortnatly :'( so true Albert.