PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss in 1976

nabelt24
05-14-2011, 06:36 AM
I find it interesting that Elvis had a very noticible and drastic amount of weight loss between early September and his return to touring in October in Chicago. I'm wondering if there was any type of diet he attempted during that time? Has anyone else noticed this?

Albert
05-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Yes, it's amazing.... Just as amazing is the weight he gained between Pittsburg december 31 1976 and his first show in February 1977

Joe Car
05-14-2011, 05:37 PM
A lot of it was bloating from the meds. That being said, because he wasn't working out, he would often start a tour overweight, and be much thinner by tour's end.

Unchained Melody
05-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Elvis was trying to show the world, and Red and Sonny and Dave IMO that he wasn't finished and he sure kicked butt at the end of 1976, just so sad to see the decline that set in after the concert in Pittsburg, al though those february shows were still really good, Elvis' appearence seemed to change overnight with the bloated look, just compare photos' from the first show in Hollywood Fl, to Charlotte, NC on the 21st of February, the difference is night and day!

Jungleroom76
05-15-2011, 12:09 AM
I think it's all a matter of the medications he was taking...his appearance could change dramatically literally from one day to the next!! Having said that, I have to believe that Brad may be on to something with the whole idea of losing weight before going out on the road in October '76 to prove that he wasn't in as bad a shape as the ELVIS: WHAT HAPPENED book claimed he was in. Also, considering the rigorous tour schedule that Elvis was on throughout the summer of '76, having over a month off between the end of the tours in September and going back on the road in October probably had something to do with it too as Elvis was able to get some much needed rest. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

KPM
05-15-2011, 02:02 AM
I think his new "younger" girl friend Ginger may have had something to do with it.
He may have felt younger, so he was able to diet/exercise a little more-just as he was putting a little more into those fall 76 tours-showing off some for his new girl. IMO

Jungleroom76
05-15-2011, 08:55 PM
I think his new "younger" girl friend Ginger may have had something to do with it.
He may have felt younger, so he was able to diet/exercise a little more-just as he was putting a little more into those fall 76 tours-showing off some for his new girl. IMO

An EXCELLENT point my friend!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

rickb
05-16-2011, 12:59 AM
But Ginger didn't come on the scene until November, after the big weight loss before the October tour.
I think he may have been inspired by word about Red's book to show them he was doing well. Sadly, I think he was also inspired by Red's book to take more pills to relax his nerves when he was due to make his first appearance after its release.

monk37
05-16-2011, 11:29 PM
weight loss swings like that are a sign of major depression, Elvis seemed to have been manic throughout his life - doing everything to excess and that included bouts of working out

and like most people, when you achieve a certain level of comfort, you think that you're okay so you stop doing what it took to make you better, whether it's exercise or medications.

It's really too bad that of all the doctors giving him pills, that none thought to give him anti-depressant or anti-psychotic medications

the only medications he seemed to have were uppers and downers and pain killers

so it's clear that what Elvis was having treated was having any feeling at all

Shane Shepherd
05-17-2011, 03:15 AM
"so it's clear that what Elvis was having treated was having any feeling at all"

Pretty well said.

Unchained Melody
05-17-2011, 03:29 AM
One thing you'll notice looking at history, was in the winter months Of 1975-1976-and 1977 Elvis really gained alot of weight around his birthdays once he hit 40 and the two after, sad really, but I think getting older really got to him and made him even more upset.:hmm:

monk37
05-17-2011, 06:13 AM
well I can relate, I am presently medicating myself into not feeling anything - am in year 3 of a horrible work situation, waiting for an arbitration date in July and having to go in and file yet another grievance tomorrow.

emotions aren't helping me cope, so they have to go.

KPM
05-17-2011, 07:07 PM
But Ginger didn't come on the scene until November, after the big weight loss before the October tour.
I think he may have been inspired by word about Red's book to show them he was doing well. Sadly, I think he was also inspired by Red's book to take more pills to relax his nerves when he was due to make his first appearance after its release.
Well lets say then that perhaps its a combo of both-the book for the weight loss, and Ginger for the better performances from November thru December of 76.
Elvis told Larry Geller in November that he was inspired to better performances by knowing Alden was in the audience-and many noticed this during this time.
He at one concert told her onstage mid-song to stay when she tried to head for the limo near the end of the show-he did'nt want her to miss his ending.
Whatever the reason for the weight loss we all know he did this for years-gain/lose. During the movie years and after his comeback in 69 it was a battle in his life.
You can only go to the well so often before it no longer comes off like it use to (for all of us over 40 who battle weight not just Elvis):lol:

Unchained Melody
05-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Well lets say then that perhaps its a combo of both-the book for the weight loss, and Ginger for the better performances from November thru December of 76.
Elvis told Larry Geller in November that he was inspired to better performances by knowing Alden was in the audience-and many noticed this during this time.
He at one concert told her onstage mid-song to stay when she tried to head for the limo near the end of the show-he did'nt want her to miss his ending.
Whatever the reason for the weight loss we all know he did this for years-gain/lose. During the movie years and after his comeback in 69 it was a battle in his life.
You can only go to the well so often before it no longer comes off like it use to (for all of us over 40 who battle weight not just Elvis):lol:

Excellent points Ken and I agree!