PDA

View Full Version : The Final Curtain boxset (full review)

Jungleroom76
01-19-2011, 03:07 AM
Just found this on Elvisinfonet.com for those fans interested in finding out if all the pre-release hype for THE FINAL CURTAIN box set was worth it... :hmm:

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/book_review_the_final_curtain_elvis_1977.html

TCB!
Mike

U.S. Male
01-19-2011, 03:16 AM
Thank You Doll :hug::flowers:

Tommy
01-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Thanks a lot Mike. (y)

Vegas69
01-19-2011, 09:08 AM
How much to buy? I want this badly so.

danny
01-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Interesting and detailed review. But how much accurate?
I found another (much shorter but maybe more honest) review on the elvisnachrichten.de site:

This is a C R A P release. Very cheap product I have it now for a few days and with normal use opened it maybe 10 times and it starts to fall apart. The book is too heavy for the cover. 2 discs won't stay in place. The paper is too thin , A paper with too much wet inque, reminds me of Minnesota book very dark and smelly and bubbly pages.
The lay out is great and many photos but very simple.

The DVD's are not that great , seems like they used the best bits for the many trailers, many far distance shots. My old videotape has better picture than the revamped CBS special I was shocked and @$%^&*()_ to discover.
The CD's are noisy and dull except the parts which were taken from other booths and denoised, which makes them sounding weird.
NO WAY that the original sound engineer from DAE worked on it, this is done by an amateur.

This makes Elvis look really bad, I'm very gratefull it isn't for the general public. For once I agree with EPE.
This shouldn't cost more than $75 and only for the hardcore fan.
It's that I PAID TOO MUCH otherwise I would throw it away.

http://www.elvisnachrichten.de/showthread.php?t=23492&page=66

PiersEIN
01-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Piers here of the EIN review - and THANKS for posting my review.

too be honest I am a little wary of that CRAP review above ...
> This shouldn't cost more than $75 and only for the hardcore fan.
> It's that I PAID TOO MUCH otherwise I would throw it away.

I'm thinking a "rival" producer or someone out-of-sorts for some reason, perhaps?.

Personally I am NOT a fan off 1977 (though find it interesting of course).
All my 77 photos are dumped in one folder, I rarely listen to the concerts.

I actually had the HORRORS about having to see 400 pages of 1977 photos and watch and listen to so much.
BUT I really have enjoyed it.
I will continue for a while to watch it all.

The text is good- All the reviews are good and having the photos to go with each day, show etc makes the period far more interesting to read about.
Listen to concert, check review see whether Ginger was there!!!!! - look to see how sick he looked.
HOURS of fun!!!
No, really!!!

I skipped through a lot of the fan footage DVDs - well there is HOURS - but the good parts - split cameras from fans! and synced audio make it FAR more watchable than any stuff I have before.
Cincinatti is a craker and other new shows too.

With the added "bonus' songs even the CDs don't become as repetitive as they normally would be.

I really don't know who chose the track listing but obviously a few people must have worked on it.

Perhaps a photo or two or clip of two have been left out - Not that I would notice - but I really can't imagine it being better.

And possibly the paper could be thicker - but I know the whole package had to be under 3 kilos (for posting) so it was more & thinner pages or less photos & thicker pages.
Boxcar's decision for MORE photos and more content was RIGHT by me.

As for the photos, there seem to be MORE from everyshow - Big size great quality - Fine for me. Sort of same feeling as in purchasing "The Complete Masters'

The 30 pages of text beforehand is a great read and there is SO much more than in JAT's overpriced books (for instance).
Yes, the 77 reviews might be found in Francecs site BUT all collected here in a book and with apropriate quality photos is just fine.

Honestly I am happy with the CD track selection. Possibly a shame about the repeat concerts but the overall selection works fine for me along with order presented.
Perhaps a few too many My Ways - but Orlando and Abeline are BRILLIANT!

New DVD footage is good. I MAY never watch it ALL again (although I have already played a lot of it twice!) HOWEVER with the lip-sync being done properly I will watch it more then previous 1977 stuff I have bought

Perhaps some say, as above, that the CBS stuff doesn't really live up to the quality hype.
Well, possibly - but THEN I watched my previous copies and they were DREADFUL in comparison.
The CBS show is really 99% excellent.

I did ask my friend Geoffrey McDonnell of various Elvis forum and sites for his opinion as he has a FAR more extensive collection than I. Some 600+ concerts and LOADS of 1977 material.

I though he would say "Seen IT All Before" but thankfully he agrees with me and also thinks it is TOP-NOTCH!

It is EXCELLENT - IF IF you want to read and learn and enjoy Elvis' final months.
STAY AWAY if you only like Aloha & TTWII!!!

Hope this straightens some points out,

Cheers
Piers

U.S. Male
01-19-2011, 04:55 PM
As with every release in the E.P. music world, not everyone is going to be happy or satisfied with it; that's just human nature and perfectly understandable.

But, I'm yet to find a downright "bad" review of this product from anyone on the net. I mean most fans know that this product is what it is - a bootleg item, thus meaning it's quality will most likely not be on the same level as if it rolled off the assembly line of Sony/BMG.

However, from what I've seen on various sites, the quality of this item looks pretty good, and listening to the song samples that were aired on Elvis Express Radio a few weeks ago, I'd say whoever obtains this release is going to have themselves one nice piece. If anyone doesn't like theirs, send it to me - I'LL BE HAPPY TO TAKE IT OFF YOUR HANDS LOL!!!!! :lmfao::lmfao:

Tigerman1975
01-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Interesting and detailed review. But how much accurate?
I found another (much shorter but maybe more honest) review on the elvisnachrichten.de site:

http://www.elvisnachrichten.de/showthread.php?t=23492&page=66

Wow thats rough.

danny
01-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Wow thats rough.
Definitely. But aside from this,it's still may be true...

For me the biggest fault and disappointment of this box is not the substandard quality of some of the video & audio material. The biggest let-down is that about 80% of the audio/video/pictures/concert reviews on this box has already been released decades ago. From a box that costs $500 i expect more than a huge amount of re-issued material.

PiersEIN
01-20-2011, 01:10 AM

For me the biggest fault and disappointment of this box is not the substandard quality of some of the video & audio material. The biggest let-down is that about 80% of the audio/video/pictures/concert reviews on this box has already been released decades ago. From a box that costs $500 i expect more than a huge amount of re-issued material.

Yeah, but you could say the same about Ernst's Complete Masters which cost $1000 down here in Australia!
Or any other Elvis CD "compile" release.
There just isn't THAT much new material to be found.

And with these box-sets it is the presentation and production that counts - and the packaging and presentation here is Top Class PLUS we do get three new soundboards, plenty of new fan footage clips (and very well executed with proper lip-sync at last) plus the BEST CBS tapes on dvd..

I'm not sure what your expectations were...
The promotional material explained in great detail what would be on the CDs and DVDs.

And the book is not something that you read in 1 hour and then put on your shelf like all those pretty expensive photo-books.

I reckon this is good value for money and all the promo material did explain what you would be buying.

Cheers
Piers

Tigerman1975
01-20-2011, 01:44 PM

I see your point Danny.

peter
01-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I´m sad that I cant get this set - its too expensive for me. But I really dont understand what Danny wants from this set:

I understand that set as set about history - something like historian release. Then it´s clear that you cant get any "new" or newly written review! That´s not point of the set to change the history or try to write new reviews of shows which happened 33 years ago! There should be reviews released in press in 1977 just after the gig and thats value in it, not "newly written" reviews. About the photos - how many really excellent photos from "unknown" photographers exist? I think that any newly publiced HQ photo should be taken as gem - and from reviews it seems that there are not one or two new photos, but many more and it´s fantastic news!

About the soundboards - you have 6CDs in it and one CD is completely new never before avaiable soundboard recording from one of last concerts, then you have another soundboard recording which was not available - but not complete show... but that´s not fault of people who released this... Every new stuff which was not available before should be welcomed, not bashed from us "it´s not enough"....

Jungleroom76
01-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Wow thats rough.

I thought so too, and I certainly can't believe that this set is ANYWHERE near that bad, judging from the reviews and comments I've seen. In fact, this review is the only one I've seen with a negative opinion!! Makes me wonder... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
01-20-2011, 09:00 PM

While I can see your point danny, there probably really isn't that much more footage available from 1977 at this point. Could there be more out there, of course...new discoveries are made all the time. But the producers of this set had to work with what they had available, and according to the reviews, the picture quality has been improved over previous '77 footage releases AND the sound has been synched to the video. Now being a fan of Elvis in 1977, I probably have most of the '77 footage that has been released and I have to say that a majority of it was already pretty darn good to start with...mainly thanks to the improved quality of home movie cameras in 1977 as compared to earlier years. So if that footage, which was good (in my opinion) to start with has been improved upon, then that would only seem to make it even better...like watching new footage (again, in my opinion). :hmm:

As for the audio material included in the set, out of 6 CD's, 3 of them contain previously unreleased soundboard shows!! So while again, technically, you are right that most of this material has been released before, it sounds like the producers have spent a lot of time and money to improve these shows as much as they can, considering the tape sources. For instance, the Orlando show, which according to the EIN review, was from a "previously unlistenable tape." I've heard a couple of the previous releases of the Orlando show, and the quality was simply AWFUL!! So for the producers to restore this show to the point of near soundboard quality is again a testament to the quality of this set and in my opinion, more than makes up for the fact that quite a bit of the material presented in this set has been released in some format before.

I think the main point here is that some fans were expecting a box full of new stuff, and that just wasn't ever going to be the case. What we have, and what was speculated on before its release, is a box of material that has been issued before, but has been painstakingly upgraded as best as could be done (or to the best of the producers abilities) thus creating a much higher quality look at Elvis' final year. Yes, there is some unseen/unheard stuff included in the set, which of course is a wonderful thing!! But the fact that the video was improved and synched with the audio, and a "previously unlistenable tape" has been made very listenable (and hopefully very enjoyable to listen to) is certainly worth the cost of the set to most fans I think. Then throw in a 400-page book in high quality with LOADS of unreleased photos (from what I've heard) and package it all in a deluxe box like it has been, and I truly think that the fans who purchased this set (with the exception of a select few) won't be complaining too much about the set. Could it have been cheaper to purchase...of course. Would the fans who bought it have wished it was less expensive to purchase...I'm sure. But again, I think most of the fans who bought the set realized what they were paying for...the improved quality of the available material, with some unreleased goodies thrown in for good measure. (And I didn't even mention one of the main selling points, which was the improved quality of the CBS outtakes and the NEAR PERFECT QUALITY of the actual CBS special itself)

TCB!
Mike

danny
01-20-2011, 09:02 PM
I´m sad that I cant get this set - its too expensive for me. But I really dont understand what Danny wants from this set:
I understand that set as set about history - something like historian release. Then it´s clear that you cant get any "new" or newly written review! That´s not point of the set to change the history or try to write new reviews of shows which happened 33 years ago! There should be reviews released in press in 1977 just after the gig and thats value in it, not "newly written" reviews. About the photos - how many really excellent photos from "unknown" photographers exist? I think that any newly publiced HQ photo should be taken as gem - and from reviews it seems that there are not one or two new photos, but many more and it´s fantastic news!
About the soundboards - you have 6CDs in it and one CD is completely new never before avaiable soundboard recording from one of last concerts, then you have another soundboard recording which was not available - but not complete show... but that´s not fault of people who released this... Every new stuff which was not available before should be welcomed, not bashed from us "it´s not enough"....
Don't get me wrong,it's great to have the 3 new incomplete soundboards. I've never dreamed about a june 1977 soundboard. It's fantastic to have some of this stuff,but not for $500. Reissues should have to be priced reasonably. And this box is basically a reissue,boosted by about 20% new stuff.

danny
01-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Yeah, but you could say the same about Ernst's Complete Masters which cost $1000 down here in Australia!
I was never interested in that release.

There just isn't THAT much new material to be found.
So what? Why didn't they release only the new material? 3 CD's + 1 DVD. For let's say $100.

plenty of new fan footage clips
How sad that the quality is terrible.

I'm not sure what your expectations were...
More new material,less reissue and lower price. Simple as that.

The promotional material explained in great detail what would be on the CDs and DVDs.
It happened in the last moment,in december,after nearly 6 months of waiting. A few days after they revealed the content,the box was already sold out and unavailable.

And the book is not something that you read in 1 hour and then put on your shelf like all those pretty expensive photo-books.
I've already read a great part of the book years ago. You know,the reviews were "borrowed" (= stolen) from the elvisconcerts site.

I reckon this is good value for money.
Why? I already own 80% of the audio. They stole the audio from old bootlegs and even FTD's (some of them were released only 1 or 2 years ago) and now they expect the fans to re-cash $500 for well-known material. 80% of this box is completely useless for me,so i wouldn't call it "good value for money".
This is a useless trash,with some new and interesting material on it. Unfortunately we're only talking about 20%.

rickb
01-21-2011, 02:31 AM
I'm happy with the set - a very professional production. They can't perform miracles with fan footage

danny
01-21-2011, 10:08 AM
They can't perform miracles with fan footage
That's not problem at all. It was recorded badly so i'm not surprised that they can't improve it. I can accept it completely.
The problem is the price,that is irreally high for so much reissued audio,video,pictures and even concert reviews.
If the price were $200,i wouldn't complain at all. For a fair price even the drawbacks and faults would be acceptable. But for $500 i would expect at least 80% unreleased material and a faultless release.

Here are 2 other honest reviews from another site:

Having previously commented on FTD's quality control, I think it is only fair that I comment on the Boxcar quality control of this set. When I opened the packaged the CDs and DVDs spilled out, causing light surface scratches, the glue for spindles had not taken. Also I am not impressed with the binding of my book which is sloppy, again a rush in terms of glue. For the cost, as with the FTDs, I expect far more quality control.

There are complaints about this set on other Elvis forums. The biggest complaints are that the book's contents are too heavy for the binding also that the book's pages are too thin. Other complaints are about the discs not staying in their holders and that the discs are substandard and wont last very long. The complaints about the contents has been mainly about disappointment in the sound of the soundboards and complaints about the super eight footage, that there is more bad than good. I have read several complaints about the EIC DVD, several posters have said their copies that they have had for years that they either taped from the actual broadcast themselves or that they have bought look better on their TVs than the FC version of EIC looks. A couple said the FC EIC looks better on their computer but their version looks better on their TV. So not everyone is happy with this release.

Jungleroom76
01-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Just found this second review for the FINAL CURTAIN set on Elvis.com.au:

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/reviews/review_elvis_77_the_final_curtain.shtml?utm_source =feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+elvis_presley+%28Elvis+News+f rom+Elvis+Australia%29

Another positive review of this outstanding set!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

monk37
01-22-2011, 03:52 AM
I have the set and the book is amazing, the set is gorgeous

and it's some of the best fan shot stuff I've seen.

that crap review sounds like sour grapes

bootleggers rule, EPE drools

Vegas69
01-22-2011, 04:17 AM
$500? Wow k. why is we fans always get fleeced? Elvis would not like this for his fans. And the $795. You have to be rich to be an Elvis fan. I dont think Elvis was aobout that.

rickb
01-22-2011, 10:21 AM
I can see your point about the price and previously released stuff, Danny. For example, they could have combined the Omaha/RC shows on one disc.
Still, I'm enjoying the set

monk37
01-23-2011, 02:15 AM
me too - the disc of news casts is interesting to compare to another DVD I have of Memphis news broadcasts

I was stunned to see a clip of Elvis' screen test of Blue Suede Shoes in the news cast in 77 - I thought that hadn't been located until they put out the 2 volume Greatest Performances VHS tapes in the early 90's

PiersEIN
01-23-2011, 03:26 AM
I was never interested in that release.
So what? Why didn't they release only the new material? 3 CD's + 1 DVD. For let's say $100.
How sad that the quality is terrible.
More new material,less reissue and lower price. Simple as that.
It happened in the last moment,in december,after nearly 6 months of waiting. A few days after they revealed the content,the box was already sold out and unavailable.
I've already read a great part of the book years ago. You know,the reviews were "borrowed" (= stolen) from the elvisconcerts site.
Why? I already own 80% of the audio. They stole the audio from old bootlegs and even FTD's (some of them were released only 1 or 2 years ago) and now they expect the fans to re-cash $500 for well-known material. 80% of this box is completely useless for me,so i wouldn't call it "good value for money".
This is a useless trash,with some new and interesting material on it. Unfortunately we're only talking about 20%.

I tried to post this reply yesterday but couldn't access the site at that moment...

Danny, I'm sorry you are disappointed with the box-set. But you do seem to be in the real minority here.

In a similar “expensive comparison”, I paid $190 for Elvis Files Vol.2 and thought that great value - although the majority of the content had been "assembled" from elsewhere.

While Final Curtain is indeed more expensive I am happy with the new content and the way it has been put together in a very professional look at Elvis’ last months.
Sure a lot of the reviews were “borrowed” from Francesc’s site (and I hope he was contacted by the Boxcar guys as he is a great guy) however they are only newspaper reviews in the same way a lot of the content of the Elvis Files is from the public media.
Francesc didn’t actually write those reviews.

I guess the BEST THING for you is that you can ONSELL your set for bug bucks and make a profit.
Try on Ebay where one went for Euro890!!

To be honest I have bought too many audience recordings in the past that were CRAP and deserved only one listen before being filed away for ever, that I know what value-for-money feels to me!

Recently spending over $100 for the FTD ‘King Creole’ book – one CD of stuff I own plus too many photographs from just one day of Elvis in the recording studio, THAT was a disappointment for me. Took me 2 hours to read, listen to & review for the site and that was it!!!!

I still have whole days of enjoyment to be got from The Final Curtain.
And, hell I am NOT even an Elvis 1977 fan!!!

Sell your set, make money a pile of from it and be happy!!! :D
There are plenty here who want it.

EIN Final Curtain Review (http://http://www.elvisinfonet.com/book_review_the_final_curtain_elvis_1977.html)

Cheers
Piers

Jimmy1966
03-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Just Recieved My Copy of 'TFC' And Have To Say It Is Pleasing To Have That Quality And Sound At Last.
Many Thanks To Boxcar. Shame On Graceland Enterprises.

See See Rider
03-18-2011, 10:34 PM
I am sorry to say this ...All you do on this site is complain about import releases. No one makes you purchase these items. It is your choice to do so. If you feel they are " Trash " as you say then don't buy them it's that simple.
That's not problem at all. It was recorded badly so i'm not surprised that they can't improve it. I can accept it completely.
The problem is the price,that is irreally high for so much reissued audio,video,pictures and even concert reviews.
If the price were $200,i wouldn't complain at all. For a fair price even the drawbacks and faults would be acceptable. But for $500 i would expect at least 80% unreleased material and a faultless release.

Here are 2 other honest reviews from another site:

Jumpsuit Junkie
03-20-2011, 11:24 PM
I have to be honest and say that 1977 is not a preferable period of Elvis' life for me, although I still await the day when EPE/Sillerman wake up and smell the Java and release EIC in glorious Blu Ray, that day my friend will be the day I will pay silly money, not before.

monk37
03-21-2011, 02:07 AM
heck, the book in the final curtain set is mind blowing even without the cds & dvds

debtdbruno
05-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Although I have 'The Complete Works' set (which I wouldn't part with for all the tea in China), i couldn't decide whether I wanted to spend money on a release which captures our guy looking and sounding less than perfect.
However, I saw one yesterday and decided to buy it....£270

I'm sure it's something i will watch through once, then put it away, probably more for the historical purpose than anything else.