PDA

View Full Version : WHY DID EP NEVER DID A VIDEO CLIP

ralph
01-02-2011, 11:49 PM
i still not have any answer why elvis never made a music clip ...with so many hits...
in 60's there were even music clips.....

KPM
01-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Not sure what you mean-if you mean music videos like MTV or VH-1 type things there were just no place to play them in the 60s, unless it was a Dick Clark music type show.
Plus Col Parker would not make a music type clip or video by Elvis for free TV he would have wanted so much royaltee for each showing on a show-and they would not pay back then.
The movies songs were as close to music clips as Elvis got in the 60s.

JRtherealJR
01-03-2011, 01:05 AM
In "Elvis- The Great Performances" video from a few years ago, Priscilla Presley referred to the title sequence in JAILHOUSE ROCK as "the first music video".

Any number of Elvis' song sequences in his movies (including those which predated Jailhouse Rock) are his music clips as you call them.

Don't forget, most of the singers and/or groups around at that time were not starring in their own string of Hollywood movies like Elvis was, so the best they could do was to make a short video to promote their song or get themselves on a popular TV show performing their song.

JRtherealJR
01-03-2011, 02:15 PM
I believe the first real music clip is from after Elvis' death. The first real video clip I think was Aha with "Take On Me" in the early 80's.
This is what set the standard from many to follow.

Well, personally I think the first real "music clip" as people seem to be calling it on here (although music video is more appropriate) is not Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody as music historians often claim, or even Thriller but it was Elvis' performance of TEDDY BEAR from Loving You. That is the quintessential pop video that we are familiar with today.

Priscilla Presley has said it was Jailhouse Rock, and you can see her point because of all the production which which into it; but Elvis' video of Teddy Bear is a perfect example of what a pop video should be.

But if you think that AHA's Take On Me was the first then good luck to you.

J.P
01-03-2011, 03:18 PM
i think JaillhouseRock was Elvis' music video... i mean wasn't it considered as one when it was made even tho for the film??? i dunno what you guys think but i say it was Jailhouse Rock....
ok you can shoot me now lol don't forget the Beatles. their musical movie A Hard Day's Night! i see lots of signs of music video there (y) worth to take a look(y)

and to me AHA's Take On Me could never reach the place as the first music video but i do respect yer opinion tho

monk37
01-03-2011, 06:11 PM
the first intentional music videos were made in the 1970's to be played in the club circuit.

it was Mike Nesmith from the Monkees who came up with the MTV concept - because really, it's just a 24/7 Monkees TV show.

Some music video tv programs followed - but the 2 things that made music videos mandatory were

usually they were in studio or concert, simple concepts - just putting the song across.

1980 - Olivia Newton-John - instead of touring to promote her new album Physical, she did a tv special of music videos - each one with a separate plot line and characters.

1980-82 Duran Duran - raised the bar with exotic locations, exotic erotic storylines - videos too hot for programming on air

84 M Jackson and David Bowie each did a 30 min short movie incorporating the core music video and off the industry shot for public consumption.

Prior to the 1970's, promotional films were inside the industry, general for internal promotions -easier to watch a film than catch the act.

I think that the huge number of fan made Elvis music videos on youtube is impressive.

KPM
01-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Well I do recall the Beatles did video clips for TV shows like the Smothers Brothers show and "Hey Jude" and there were a couple music shows in the 1960s into the early 70s Dick Clarks "Where the Action Is", "Shindig", and "Hullabaloo" which had video songs by differeing artists and groups who had curent hits who could not appear but would send the clips. Elvis just never did that.

Lisarose
01-04-2011, 06:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89MihWd6zKk

Lisarose
01-04-2011, 06:52 AM
According to Answers.com it was Jailhouse rock - '56, Strawberry Fields forever '67 but really Video killed the Radio star - I guess it could be any song we loved...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiJ9AnNz47Y

romar
01-04-2011, 11:10 AM
The first one to be shown on MTV was Video killed the radio star. The Buggles.1980.

But what about these clips??

Love is all by Roger Clover. 1974. Beautifull cartoon. Watch it on You tube.
Queen. Bohemian Rapshody.
Kiss. I was made for loving you. 1979.
10cc. Dreadlock Holiday 1979. Great Video.
Jackson's. Can you Feel it and Don,t stop till you get enough by MJ 1979??
Adam and the ants. Stand and Deliver 1982.
MJ, Billy Jean and Beat It. 1983
ZZ Top Gimme me all your loving 1984 Elton John, i am still standing 1983. Bruce Springsteen, Dancing in the Dark 1984 made it reall popular and important.

romar
01-04-2011, 11:21 AM
But probably Teddy Bear 1957 and Jailhouse Rock 1957 set the tone

Raised on Rock
01-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Yes, Teddy Bear and Mean Woman Blues could be considered Elvis first video clips, yet, with its elaborate production and dance sequences, Jailhouse Rock will always be considered the first rock video ever. Now, yes, those where for cinema and where never shown on TV until the home video era. Now The Beatles called his music videos: films, they used them to promote the singles on TV when they where unable or stopped doing live tv appearences, but Elvis didn't need TV promotion post '57, the movies did the promotion. Yes, the Beatles, after the succes of A Hard Day's Night and Help, could have followed on Elvis steps when they quit live appearences and TV, but they wheren't interested in cinema, so they did the musical videos for promo.

Now when the Elvis movies declined in popularity he did the '68 comback special on TV, the "Trouble/Guitar Man" and "If I Can DREam" productions, CAN be considereded music videos compared with what other bands where doing at the time, and are the first ones for Elvis on TV not cinema. Sure independent films for Elvis singles as In The Ghetto, Suspicious Minds, or Burning Love could have boosted their chart pressence, but by then Parker considered the Tours will do the promo as well as the concert movies, in a way he was right, but it also shows how much he was out of touch as a manager with what was really happening.

I believe that if Parker had shown clips like: Viva las Vegas or What'd I Say on TV, let's say Ed Sullivan, the movie could have been much more of a succes and the single could have been a No.1 even, but Parker never let anything for free. The "the movie sell the music and the music sell the movie" formula, started going downhill after the big success of Roustabout in '64 (THe end of the golden cinema period for Elvis) and he need to hit bottom in '67 to do TV again?

monk37
01-05-2011, 06:59 AM
the musical numbers of movies can be isolated to be music videos - but they aren't music videos - they are a song sequence in a movie

otherwise, the first music video is the first movie with sound and a song number.

romar
01-05-2011, 09:19 AM
That would be The Jazz Singer starring Al Jolson. 1926 or 1927 then.

The songs in the movies were just numbers in the movies. They were musicals. Not promotional films or videoclips or music video's.
I am affraid that Elvis just never did that. Simple.
Otherwise what about the Sinatra or Doris Day or Judy Garland in the 1940's musicals then? Are they considerd music video's? In that case Elvis was not the first one.

KPM
01-08-2011, 04:02 AM
I think you can look at numbers in film like "Jailhouse Rock", "Teddy Bear", "Viva Las Vegas, "Return to Sender" etc good songs which made good filmed music clips (within a movie) and you can see how they were precursers to the MTV video clips but they were not made for that purpose.
The purpose of videos today is to promote the music sales and artists who make the music-Elvis did that with his musical movies, as did Bing and Frank before him.

Raised on Rock
01-08-2011, 06:30 AM
I think this is is the non integrated music numbers vs de integrated music ones.

Non integrated music numbers are the ones that one can take away from the film an it will not matter, they stand on its own, examples of this are production numbers like Jailhouse Rock or Viva Las Vegas, or On Stage like numbers like Teddy Bear or Return to Sender. Those where indeed precursors to the MTV video clips, and where definetively in the mind of 60's bands and producer when they made their promo videos.

The integrated music numbers are the ones that are part of the narrative of the film, let's say, part of the dialogue of the characters in the film, and they look odd if we pull them away out of the context of the film, for example using the same movies as avobe: Young and Beautiful or The Lady Loves Me, those kind of integrated numbers belong to the tradition of Bing and Frank, and can't hardly be related to todays concept of music videos.

It is interesting to notice that the music from the non integrated musical numbers its usually the best and a match to his non soundtrack material, as it was written and recorded in the same fashion as Elvis records of the same period, while is the music from the integrated musical numbers the usually poor one, its the one that got the bad reputation, but we should understand, that was not Elvis, those where just part of the movie set.

Anyway, strictly in terms of video clips, ELVIS DID THAT, we do have: IF I CAN DREAM, and TROUBLE/GUITAR MAN, from the '68 comback special. The opening and the closing numbers from the '68 comeback special were actually done in the same fashion of the promotional videos from rock bands of back in the day, and they are Iconic. (Interesting to note the influence of the Jailhouse Rock number from the '57 movie, in the Trouble/Guitar Man production).

monk37
01-08-2011, 10:08 AM
, Elvis did the first Unplugged in that special too.

ages ahead of MTV

steve grayson
01-08-2011, 07:02 PM
he probably never did a video clips but after 1985 they tried to do some, But the best ``elvis`` video clips is the one from Bily Joel ``all Shook Up``..why? because you see only Elvis in the video clips and it's well done.
Thanks, Steve Grayson

Steamroller Blues
02-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Not alot of artists back then made music videos, music shows in the 70's often just played videos of live performances or had the artists play to a studio audience. Lots of artists didn't consider it very hip to make a video for a song,having a strong visual to a song can sometimes destroys it. Even in the early days of MTV, companies had to persuade there artists to them.

Wendy56
03-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Jailhouse rock was a videoclip after all... mmm And many music numbers from his movies can seen as videoclips too. :hmm: