PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Elvis tour overseas in the 1970's??

howardrobardhughes
12-13-2004, 01:46 PM
It's simple..The last thing the Colonel wanted was a drugged up Elvis with a suitcase full of
pills going through customs. For PR reasons alone it would be a disaster.
I believe ELVIS knew this too..He would lose his shield of protection if he were to go overseas...no good ole' boy doctors to rub elbows with..and get scripts..and certainly..Dr. Nick couldn't have anyone in customs check his black bag.
It's the same reason that Elvis NEVER took a vacation overseas during the 1970's...How could he go through customs??
I think the whole idea that Elvis never played abroad was because Col. Parker was an illegal U.S. Citizen is FALSE..
Elvis could have given some concerts in Canada in the 1970's..
He Didn't.......

TCB
Wade

12-13-2004, 02:05 PM
Maybe your right. But, I don't think so. I think that if that is the case, about it not being because of the Colonel, Elvis would have gone overseas in the 60's! Sure he had movie contracts, but you make the point regarding vacations as well, and Elvis never travelled that far on vacations either. The colonel was an illegal citizen, he basically scared Elvis into that whole drug situation which you are mentioning. By doing that, he managed to keep Elvis in the U.S untill his death.

Elvis bought the Lisa Marie, only because he wanted a trans-atlantic jet for a world tour. I believe he wanted to. Elvis was on medication during the early 60's.Albeit that it increased in the 70's, but he would have faced the same problem with it in the 60's, in relation to travel. :king:

Captain Elwood David
12-13-2004, 03:07 PM
It's simple..The last thing the Colonel wanted was a drugged up Elvis with a suitcase full of
pills going through customs. For PR reasons alone it would be a disaster.
I believe ELVIS knew this too..He would lose his shield of protection if he were to go overseas...no good ole' boy doctors to rub elbows with..and get scripts..and certainly..Dr. Nick couldn't have anyone in customs check his black bag.
It's the same reason that Elvis NEVER took a vacation overseas during the 1970's...How could he go through customs??
I think the whole idea that Elvis never played abroad was because Col. Parker was an illegal U.S. Citizen is FALSE..
Elvis could have given some concerts in Canada in the 1970's..
He Didn't......

TCB
Wade
The last thing The Col. wanted to see ...... was EP out of his reach, somewhere where he himself couldn't (wouldn't) accompany (abroad), ...... where The Col. could not exert any control nor oversight into the running of things.

That said, ........ EP was also in no shape - physcially - to be venturing / touring abroad in 1977 (in the throes of fighting a substance addiction battle - one that he subsequently lost).

In essence, "Wade", ......what you choose to word & portray as the above, .... I choose to portray in a slightly different (much less pejorative) light; The Col. wasn't about to let EP out of his sight when it came to money-making matters / touring first, ..... & second, ..... EP had his own problems to deal with (despite himself & many of those around him at the time being in various stages of "Denial" about) before any such "overseas" trips were ever going to happen.

IMO, the "logistics" (of varying sorts) of accomplishing an overseas tour were just a convenient "excuse" for The Col. to use to justify not doing something that he didn't want to see happen in the first place.

-----------------------

BTW - sidenote: The muscle relaxant (empty) pill bottle you display above is a novel piece. Only a handful exist / have survived to date. I believe it also has an equally novel / interesting, yet surprising story to accompany (another story, perhaps for another day). ;)

- Capt. "EL."