PDA

View Full Version : MSG

Lisarose
09-10-2010, 04:32 AM
Quick question - which is better the evening show or the afternoon show?

Just wondering since I'm adding to my growing collection of CDs.
Which would you recommend and why, please. And thanks in advance
for your helpful opinions :notworthy

boogie
09-10-2010, 09:09 AM
i would go for the afternoon show...show and sound the better one, but that's just my choise

Raised on Rock
09-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Well to me, in terms of sound quality i'll go for the "An Afternoon in the Garden" CD, as the original '72 L.P. hasn't been reworked since the '91 remasters, and the sound on that Cd isn't that good. (It is not bad either).

But if you don't care that much about sound quality, in terms of Elvis and the Band performance and show intesity I'll go for the "Elvis As recorded at the Madison Square Garden" (Evening show) any time.

The afternoon is good, but Elvis was on fire on the evening show, his vocal performance on tracks like "I Can't Stop Loving You" go beyond his own limits, while the same song on the afternoon show it is just good enough. The TCB band was looser on the afternoon show, which was not bad at all, but by the evening song, tracks like "Polk Salad Annie" where Jerry does his bass solo, it was just insane! making a difference there between the two recorded shows for sure.

P.S. Looking forward for a nice remaster of those two shows in 2012 myself. Either on FTD classic albums, or by BMG legacy.

dennyelvis
09-10-2010, 07:43 PM
How does the MSG on the FRANKLIN set compare ?

asian1
09-10-2010, 10:02 PM
I was interested in the "afternoon show in the Garden" because it had Elvis doing a performance of Elvis doing "reconsider baby" It is one of my favorites. I am puzzled as to why he didn't choose this song more often in his stage shows as it is definitely one of his best songs. However, when I heard the cd, I was disappointed by the arrangement of the song and the way he performed it in this show. I think it lacks the emotion and intensity of the original recording which had a brilliant sax performance by Boots Randolph.

rocknroll
09-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Well to me, in terms of sound quality i'll go for the "An Afternoon in the Garden" CD, as the original '72 L.P. hasn't been reworked since the '91 remasters, and the sound on that Cd isn't that good. (It is not bad either).

But if you don't care that much about sound quality, in terms of Elvis and the Band performance and show intesity I'll go for the "Elvis As recorded at the Madison Square Garden" (Evening show) any time.

The afternoon is good, but Elvis was on fire on the evening show, his vocal performance on tracks like "I Can't Stop Loving You" go beyond his own limits, while the same song on the afternoon show it is just good enough. The TCB band was looser on the afternoon show, which was not bad at all, but by the evening song, tracks like "Polk Salad Annie" where Jerry does his bass solo, it was just insane! making a difference there between the two recorded shows for sure.

P.S. Looking forward for a nice remaster of those two shows in 2012 myself. Either on FTD classic albums, or by BMG legacy.

Completely agree. The evening concert was a true rock and roll show. Elvis sang tough and the band was on fire. The crowd was crazier (probably because it was NYC) than any show I've heard from Elvis in the '70's. Add all that together and it was a wild night.

Lisarose
09-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Thank ya'll so much! Really appreciate your feedback. :D

Raised on Rock
09-12-2010, 04:13 PM
I was interested in the "afternoon show in the Garden" because it had Elvis doing a performance of Elvis doing "reconsider baby" It is one of my favorites. I am puzzled as to why he didn't choose this song more often in his stage shows as it is definitely one of his best songs. However, when I heard the cd, I was disappointed by the arrangement of the song and the way he performed it in this show. I think it lacks the emotion and intensity of the original recording which had a brilliant sax performance by Boots Randolph.

But what about his live version of Reconsider Baby back in 1969? I think that one does match the intensity of the original although with a very diffrent arrangment.

Talking about sax performance, I've always considered that Elvis should have included a sax player "a la Bobby Keys with the Stones" around '72, considering the amount of songs Elvis recorded using a Sax in the band in the early 60's, and how he did used a Sax Player on his live shows in '61, a sax player addition to the TCB BAND would have give a nice edge to his rocking sound in '72.

asian1
09-12-2010, 07:26 PM
But what about his live version of Reconsider Baby back in 1969? I think that one does match the intensity of the original although with a very diffrent arrangment.

Talking about sax performance, I've always considered that Elvis should have included a sax player "a la Bobby Keys with the Stones" around '72, considering the amount of songs Elvis recorded using a Sax in the band in the early 60's, and how he did used a Sax Player on his live shows in '61, a sax player addition to the TCB BAND would have give a nice edge to his rocking sound in '72.

Yes, I highly agree with the use of a sax player. I can only guess that the inclusion of a solo sax player was not in line with the direction he had in mind for his music. That is a pity. To me, most the his 50's songs suffered from the new arrangement and instruments used for his stage performance. Once a record becomes very successful,an audience identifies with it. Even a slight change in the pace or arrangement can detract from the audience's original love for that song.

Unfortunately, I never heard his '69 version. Can you tell me where it is available?

Lisarose
09-13-2010, 05:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRBEIq3Dsc0&feature=related

From the FTD, "Live at the International" This is much better, imo, than the original 50s, and I
love 50s Elvis. And btw, James is really smoking on the guitar solo!

vivaelvis
09-16-2010, 05:24 AM
To me it would be the afternoon show that was the best. He was in a better mood than in the evening show. Plus the set list was better for the afternoon show than the evening.

KPM
09-16-2010, 09:04 PM
I lke both shows, each have strong points as has been stated by others.

asian1
09-16-2010, 09:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRBEIq3Dsc0&feature=related

From the FTD, "Live at the International" This is much better, imo, than the original 50s, and I
love 50s Elvis. And btw, James is really smoking on the guitar solo!

This 1969 version is quite good and captures the mood of the 1960 original. James Burton guitar is excellent, Elvis' voice is raw and powerful, he is emotionally commited to the song.

I also remember the original having a great piano accompaniment ( by Floyd Cramer I believe) that supports the entire arrangement wonderfully. I wish the afternoon garden show had the same enthusiasm and arrangement as either this great piece or the original.

BTW, I still miss the saxaphone part. Boots Randolph's playing seemed to equal Elvis' vocal inflections and be imbued with his soulful vocal. Each seemed to be complimenting the other's performance. (especailly enjoyed Boot's ending sax note that he hits off the music scale!)

The verbal banter that can be heard on the original injects an additional charge of energy into the all the performer's rendition of the song.

The 1969 version has plenty going for it and it captures ( at least to me) Elvis' apparent love of the song.