PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts

Cliff
09-01-2010, 10:26 AM
I have noticed that the Elvis Impersonators now call themselves 'Elvis Tribute Atrists ' . I was wonder what TCBers thought of this. Is this a ploy to win over the anti Elvis impersonators?

monk37
09-01-2010, 05:51 PM
It's similar to the change from Drag Queen to Female Impersonator

as if the Elvis Impersonator/Drag Queen were somehow less refined, perhaps vulgar or low brow

oooo like garbage man to Sanitation Engineer

kathy parkinson
09-01-2010, 05:52 PM
They can call themselves what they like, it won't work for me, no offence.

Brian Quinn
09-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Psychologically disturbed fantasists would be more appropriate.

debtdbruno
09-01-2010, 07:23 PM
LOL.............love that Brian, very funny

KPM
09-01-2010, 08:08 PM
I think some are probably very sincere in the idea that they are giving tribute to Elvis in their performances......unfortunately too many people associate the so so talents of most impersonators with the real Elvis, they come away thinking "thats what Elvis sounded like???" and thats the problem IMO.

Albert
09-01-2010, 08:57 PM
i don't like that term... i prefer to call them impersonators paying tribute.... because there are also folks paying tribute to the King without dressing up like Elvis, and also lots AND LOTS of impersonators that aren't paying tribute to our man, but just making a buck

Elizasong
09-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Impersonators and tribute artists its the same thing. In some ways I like that someone is paying tribute to Elvis since we don't have the real thing but some of them are fanatical crazies. The ones that scare me even more are the fans that go see the impersonators and go crazy and run up and fight over scarves and think they are the real thing! :blink:

monk37
09-02-2010, 07:14 AM
I've seen a few and yes, I even got a couple of scarves

I didn't confuse any of them with Elvis - I just relaxed and enjoyed the show and let myself pretend

no different really than going to see the Walking with Dinosaur Arena show - for a few minutes, I let myself feel transported and got to see real ones

http://ntrygg.wordpress.com/2010/08/28/review-walking-with-dinosaurs/

but, for the younger audience - watching them is very wild - I saw an Elvis impersonator at a fairground - and there was a group of 10 or so girl guides - grade 6/7 mixed.

The Elvis guy had a TTWII type white jumpsuit and he was really doing a good early 79's Elvis - and the girls jumoped out of their seats, rushed the stage and tore the strips of fabric off his jumpsuit

it was really wild to see them go totally berserk

May
09-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Call it what you like, if it waddles and quacks..................it's a duck!

sasha
09-02-2010, 04:28 PM
MOST ETA's love & admire Elvis a lot. It is only we fans that expect too much sometimes.
I admire the ones that only seek to give a bit back to others.

I think this says it pretty well.
http://www.elimpersonators.com/html/essay.html

Elizasong
09-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Very interesting article. I did go see a Tribute Artist concert last month because DJ Fontana was on the bill. It was a good show but I still bothers me when people run up for the scarves because I know it's now him but like Monk said they are transported back in time and it's like they are really seeing Elvis.

Diane
09-03-2010, 04:39 PM
In my mind there are the "impersonators" who do a bad job of representing Elvis and do damage to his image and then there are "tribute artists" who genuinely love Elvis and represent him with the respect and honor that he is due.

ph10579
09-04-2010, 12:44 AM
Psychologically disturbed fantasists would be more appropriate.

So they should be called PDFs?lol:lol:

elvia7
09-05-2010, 11:12 AM
In my mind there are the "impersonators" who do a bad job of representing Elvis and do damage to his image and then there are "tribute artists" who genuinely love Elvis and represent him with the respect and honor that he is due.

Yes. Diane, I think similarly(y)" "tribute artists" who genuinely love Elvis and represent him with the respect and honor that he is due"(y)

SleepyJack
09-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Call it what you like, if it waddles and quacks..................it's a duck!

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Rhinestone
09-06-2010, 07:16 PM
The one and only tribute artist I saw didn't dress as Elvis or try to "be" Elvis. He attempted recreate the excitement of an Elvis concert, and it worked. He put on a terrific show, complete with a female backup group and the Jordanaires. He was a great vocalist and sang Elvis songs without straining to sound like him...it was a wonderful experience for those who never had the chance to see Elvis live. And, I think many may have left wanting to know more about Elvis as an entertainer. I know my young niece became a fan that night.

Awickedreigndrop
09-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Impersonators and tribute artists its the same thing. In some ways I like that someone is paying tribute to Elvis since we don't have the real thing but some of them are fanatical crazies. The ones that scare me even more are the fans that go see the impersonators and go crazy and run up and fight over scarves and think they are the real thing! :blink:

Omg, I've seen this! I went to see one with a few friends and these girls jump up and started groping the guy. It was pretty insane.

bigfan
09-09-2010, 08:47 PM
it sounds more formal,:D