PDA

View Full Version : Elvis, the Garden, Sony and 2012

vivaelvis
06-06-2010, 08:34 PM
The other night I decided to go back to 1972 for a real evening with Elvis at the world's most famous arena, Madison Square Garden in New York City. I listened to the afternoon show then followed it up with the evening show. One thing I noticed was that the afternoon show has a more natural sound, but still could be upgraded the way the Memphis '74 concert was on FTD. The evening show was great but for the most part it sounds like Elvis is buried in the background by the overdubs. There's no base like in the evening show.

Anyway, the reason for this post is an idea I came up with while looking at some amazing shots of Elvis at the Garden on Elvis.com in their photo section. The bottom pic caught my attention the most. I was thinking what a gorgeous box set cover, minus the background singers, this would make for a three-disc set of that magical weekend in NY in 1972. Call it "The NY Experience" - Two complete shows from the historical record setting performances.

http://photos.elvis.com/photo-retrieve.aspx?id=804

Sony/RCA should seriously consider this for the 40th Anniversary in 2012 for the mainstream market in a three-disc set (two cds and one dvd) in book format with a gorgeous pullout booklet of the event inside.

Disc One (CD) - The afternoon show (remixed/remastered).
Disc Two (CD) - The evening show in its entirety (remixed/remastered).
Disc Three (DVD) - The complete NY press conference on June 9, 1972, with additional news coverage from the NY shows as bonus fotage.

Not trying to sound cocky or arrogant, but this is the type of project that needs to be out there for future generations to come to see how incredible Elvis really was. Not a best of or genre series or love song collections.

my boy
06-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Smashing idea and without doubt I think a release along your lines will probably become a reality before long!

Ernst's probably got someone working on it now!

vivaelvis
06-06-2010, 08:44 PM
My boy! My boy!;)

molokai123
06-07-2010, 12:41 AM
this would be great! lets hope!!

TCB81975
06-07-2010, 12:58 AM
A really good idea. I would get it.

debtdbruno
06-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Cracking idea...........I'd have it too

Brian Quinn
06-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Excellent idea. This would be an awesome package.

Brian :D

CLAY
06-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Great idea,i hope E.P.E. does somthing just like this (y)

monk37
06-07-2010, 04:53 PM
I agree - that would be an excellent set

and they should give the Houston Astrodom series the same treatment.

I also think it would be cool to have an opening night box set of each 1st night of every Vegas season

Lisarose
06-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Absolutely! Would be great to see the interviews in the DVD, and if there's a booklet, more info on how he got to Madison Square Gardens.
I don't believe I've read a whole lot on the MSG & Elvis experience, so also, if there's any good links - please provide me some!

Raised on Rock
06-10-2010, 05:43 AM
The other night I decided to go back to 1972 for a real evening with Elvis at the world's most famous arena, Madison Square Garden in New York City. I listened to the afternoon show then followed it up with the evening show. One thing I noticed was that the afternoon show has a more natural sound, but still could be upgraded the way the Memphis '74 concert was on FTD. The evening show was great but for the most part it sounds like Elvis is buried in the background by the overdubs. There's no base like in the evening show.

Anyway, the reason for this post is an idea I came up with while looking at some amazing shots of Elvis at the Garden on Elvis.com in their photo section. The bottom pic caught my attention the most. I was thinking what a gorgeous box set cover, minus the background singers, this would make for a three-disc set of that magical weekend in NY in 1972. Call it "The NY Experience" - Two complete shows from the historical record setting performances.

http://photos.elvis.com/photo-retrieve.aspx?id=804

Sony/RCA should seriously consider this for the 40th Anniversary in 2012 for the mainstream market in a three-disc set (two cds and one dvd) in book format with a gorgeous pullout booklet of the event inside.

Disc One (CD) - The afternoon show (remixed/remastered).
Disc Two (CD) - The evening show in its entirety (remixed/remastered).
Disc Three (DVD) - The complete NY press conference on June 9, 1972, with additional news coverage from the NY shows as bonus fotage.

Not trying to sound cocky or arrogant, but this is the type of project that needs to be out there for future generations to come to see how incredible Elvis really was. Not a best of or genre series or love song collections.

Amazing idea, IŽll buy it! How about this way:

CD 1 - Original album "evening show" (remixed/remastered/unedited if there was any) All with original cover art and in paper sleeve replicating an LP package.
*Bonus tracks: Original radio promotional for the album.
CD 2 - Afternoon show. (remixed/remastered)
*Bonus tracks: Original radio promo for the show.
CD 3 (DVD) - Evening Show in 5.1 sound.
Plus: press conference in remastered audio and video, and a 15 min. minidocumental about the event including news coverage from Elvis at the Garden, a nice
selection of footage available of the show (remastered to attain best posible quality), presentation of the gold record for the msg live album, interviews with TCB band members and people like Joe Esposito and Jerry
Schilling (No cilla no lisa please!)

Put a nice booklet with an great essay, interviews with the TCB Band, the event story, original reviews from the show and LP, great pictures of elvis shows and related memorablia, and YES I'm in the store buying it!!!

Last year The Rolling Stones did something similar for the 40th aniversary of both: their 1969 gigs at the Garden and the album that came out of those. I have it, and it is great.
http://www.amazon.com/Ya-Yas-Rolling-Stones-Concert-Anniversary/dp/B002NOAF9W

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skMUkGoytDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4fDV1CZUOQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QprbSvyRAA

Here is a nice site dedicated to that event.

http://www.msg1972.com/home.htm

monk37
06-11-2010, 06:07 AM
that is amazing fan shot footage

Jungleroom76
06-11-2010, 06:18 PM
OUTSTANDING IDEA VIVAELVIS!!! (y)

I definitely think something should be done to commemorate the 40th anniversary (WOW - 40 YEARS!) of the MSG shows, and your idea would be the ULTIMATE way to celebrate that anniversary! The only thing that would make your idea better would be if RCA had one of the other MSG shows that they could release for the first time in a package like this. Unfortunately, that isn't the case... :sad:

Nonetheless, this would be the ULTIMATE package to honor this historic milestone in Elvis' career!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Lisarose
06-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Amazing idea, IŽll buy it! How about this way:

CD 1 - Original album "evening show" (remixed/remastered/unedited if there was any) All with original cover art and in paper sleeve replicating an LP package.
*Bonus tracks: Original radio promotional for the album.
CD 2 - Afternoon show. (remixed/remastered)
*Bonus tracks: Original radio promo for the show.
CD 3 (DVD) - Evening Show in 5.1 sound.
Plus: press conference in remastered audio and video, and a 15 min. minidocumental about the event including news coverage from Elvis at the Garden, a nice
selection of footage available of the show (remastered to attain best posible quality), presentation of the gold record for the msg live album, interviews with TCB band members and people like Joe Esposito and Jerry
Schilling (No cilla no lisa please!)

Put a nice booklet with an great essay, interviews with the TCB Band, the event story, original reviews from the show and LP, great pictures of elvis shows and related memorablia, and YES I'm in the store buying it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4fDV1CZUOQ&feature=related

Here is a nice site dedicated to that event.

http://www.msg1972.com/home.htm

Excellent idea, Raised on Rock! And thanks for the link, I've not seen that site before.

KPM
06-13-2010, 08:33 PM
I'd buy it-but not so sure about the younger set-maybe if they could come up with a music video from some of the existing "clearer footage of the MSG Shows" it might have a better chance of getting sales with younger people who would see the video.
(That is "IF" MTV and VH-1 would play the video-they pretty much have ignored Elvis even when videos are available, I e-mailed them a few years back and asked why they did not play the Rubberneckin video and they said "There is no demand for it, so we play what is requested by the audience we are going after")

vivaelvis
06-20-2010, 05:27 PM
The Garden shows of 72 were among the most highlighted moments of his amazing record setting career and should be given better treatment. Although not as highly publicized as the overhyped Aloha concert a year later. The MSG shows presented the true 70's rocker that was missing in the tv special in 73. It's a crying shame that these historical shows were not professionally taped for future reference use. All we have is fan footage with professional audio from RCA to go with it. I really wish that something to this nature would see the light of day, but I'm not holding my breath. It seems more about quanity than it does quality with RCA. That's how it's always been with them when it comes to Elvis.

vivaelvis
06-20-2010, 05:32 PM
I'd buy it-but not so sure about the younger set-maybe if they could come up with a music video from some of the existing "clearer footage of the MSG Shows" it might have a better chance of getting sales with younger people who would see the video.
(That is "IF" MTV and VH-1 would play the video-they pretty much have ignored Elvis even when videos are available, I e-mailed them a few years back and asked why they did not play the Rubberneckin video and they said "There is no demand for it, so we play what is requested by the audience we are going after")

VH1 and MTV no longer show music videos. Those stations are about reality tv shows these days. I have no idea why they even have music or video in their titles. SONY isn't going to spend money on a music video unless it's for something like 'Viva Elvis' or something along those lines where they make a profit in return.

ColinB
06-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Sounds like a great idea !

KPM
06-21-2010, 07:45 PM
VH1 and MTV no longer show music videos. Those stations are about reality tv shows these days. I have no idea why they even have music or video in their titles. SONY isn't going to spend money on a music video unless it's for something like 'Viva Elvis' or something along those lines where they make a profit in return.
Very very early in the morining I still see some new videos on VHI and MTV-but you are correct in prime time they have gone the stupid reality TV (not a fan)
Profit is exactly why Sony should do a video- You propose a large box set of MSG music-remastered and digitally done-that costs money- in the mixing and the promotion. So "if they want to maximise their return on substantial investment a Video would be essential. Even if it was only put on You Tube or some of the internet video sites where 2- 3 million hits are easy if its promoted properly.

tony182297
06-22-2010, 04:13 AM
Yes...Speaking for myself, it would be like recapturing a special time in my life. Because I was lucky enough to have seen all the Garden shows.

vivaelvis
07-19-2012, 11:50 PM
BUMP!!!(y)(y)

debtdbruno
07-20-2012, 08:29 AM
This looks so exciting.......but I don't want to get my hopes up:blink::blink:

Snake Eyes
07-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Yes...Speaking for myself, it would be like recapturing a special time in my life. Because I was lucky enough to have seen all the Garden shows.

You are indeed a lucky man :lol:

I think this is an awesome idea and I would definately buy it.

Erhan
07-20-2012, 11:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUUcKamxD5Q