PDA

View Full Version : from Elvis News EPE And Graceland For Sale?

hounddog
03-30-2010, 12:10 AM
"CKx Inc., the company that controls Elvis Presley Enterprises and Graceland, says it is in discussions regarding a sale of the company. In a statement released early this morning, CKx said it would not elaborate on the terms of the “possible transaction.”

CKx owns and develops entertainment content, and its properties include the rights to the image and likeness of Elvis Presley, Graceland operations, and the rights to the name, image and likeness of Muhammad Ali , and the American Idol series in the U.S.

The company's statement followed a report Friday by the Wall Street Journal, which said the company was close to selling itself to the private equity firm, One Equity Partners, which offered $6 a share. CNBC also reported this morning that the company is being acquired by one of its equity partners.

Graceland is still a moneymaker and tourist magnet, but the iconic home's attendance and revenues were virtually flat last year. The Elvis Presley home and related facilities turned an operating profit of nearly $4.9 million, up about 21 percent from 2008, corporate owners said in an annual report filed Tuesday.

But from all indications, 2009 was pretty much a holding pattern as owners worked through a much-ballyhooed redevelopment plan. Attendance was up 1.2 percent from recession-battered levels in 2008, while revenues were down 1.6 percent.

Referring to a $250 million plan that could include new hotels, visitors center, attractions and shops, the corporation, CKx Inc., "remains committed to the Graceland redevelopment and will continue to pursue opportunities on its own or with third parties," the report said.

CEO Robert F.X. Sillerman, who paid $100 million for an 85 percent stake in the Presley estate in 2004, unveiled ambitious plans in 2007. Other CKx holdings include TV shows "American Idol" and "So You Think You Can Dance," and attractions associated with Muhammad Ali.

Graceland redevelopment planning took a hit last March when the company ended an agreement with a spinoff corporation, FX Real Estate & Entertainment, that was to have developed hotels here and in Las Vegas.

Preliminary design work was scrapped "due to current economic conditions and a lack of certainty as to exact scope, cost, financing plan and timing of this project," the report added.

Company spokesman Ed Tagliaferri said Tuesday, "As Mr. Sillerman has previously indicated, we were working on coming up with a new and exciting design. We continue to move full steam ahead on that." Memphis government and tourism officials said they believe the project is on track.

"I'm confident it is going to happen," Mayor A C Wharton said. "Mr. Sillerman has assured us of his commitment. We are in the final stages of the planning process. It's a real game-changer. It will be one of the most significant developments we've seen in a long time."

City Council chairman Harold Collins said, "As far as being on schedule, I'm not sure they ever said they had a schedule. They have brought in their design people to look at the area. They have not fully decided when they are going to release that or get the design people's finished product."

Memphis Convention and Visitors Bureau president Kevin Kane said, "What I'm hearing is they're still very committed to the Memphis project. A delay, if there was one, was because of the economy and other things they were working on in Vegas."

Other attractions claim higher attendance, but Kane said nothing equals the Presley home for out-of-region visitors. "It's the one sure-fire amenity that Memphis obviously is recognized and famous for all over the world," he said. The redevelopment "will enhance not only the visitor's experience to Graceland, but it will probably be a vehicle that will increase the number of visitors to Graceland," he added.

Graceland visitors

2009: 542,728

2008: 536,196

2007: 612,541*

2006: 554,193

2005: 551,292

*30th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death on Aug. 16, 1977"

http://www.elvisnews.com/news.aspx/epe-and-graceland-for-sale/12535

danny
03-30-2010, 01:29 AM
It's a weak april fool's joke.

cbg84
03-30-2010, 08:41 AM
I'd be surprised if this was true.

KPM
03-30-2010, 04:09 PM
It's a weak april fool's joke.
The Commercial Appeal in Memphis has confirmed this story.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/mar/29/ckx-which-owns-elvis-presley-rights-confirms-its-s/

Also confirmation of sales discussions right from CKx's own websight:
http://ir.ckx.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=455095

KPM
03-30-2010, 04:25 PM
If Sillerman actually outright sells EPE and his 85% it will show he stays true to form in that he has made money over the years buying successful operations then selling them a few years later at a profit-with little more than "tweaking" the business.
Classic 1980s business where much money was made by investors who did little more than buy and sell businesses sometimes dismantling them and selling individual parts of the business for profit..... see the movie "Other Peoples Money" it explains it completely.
If he is just looking for investors to help with the financing-that is a little bit different story.

sasha
03-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Here's a little more on the sale. So far, I've not gotten anymore from ones I know In Memphis.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/world-business/elvis-up-for-sale-20100330-r92l.html

However; he doesn't own Graceland .Lisa kept that & wasn't part of the EPE sale to him.

debtdbruno
03-30-2010, 06:42 PM
that's the only saving grace, Graceland being owned by Lisa.............

KPM
03-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Here's a little more on the sale. So far, I've not gotten anymore from ones I know In Memphis.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/world-business/elvis-up-for-sale-20100330-r92l.html

However; he doesn't own Graceland .Lisa kept that & wasn't part of the EPE sale to him.

Correct, he never owned one inch of Graceland itself, nor Elvis's personal property, Lisa retained all of that plus the 15% share in income generated by his image.

TTWII2001
03-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Well, it's all part of business...buying and selling with a subtential profit....Sillerman made a whole lot of money over the years....and maybe he just want to know...how the rumor of selling will make offers to come out and then in the swirll big money will be on the line.....see everything has a price....see up here in canada we have a hockey club that is consider as an icon the montreal canadians....and they were makin big money out of it.....but they try out the rumor of selling...and guess what...the became serious...because offers were very serious...and the club was sold...and sillerman hes that kind of guy......money, money, money....he care for the fan's as long as they bring money.....that's all....and IMO if someone pulls the right money in.....we'll have a knew owner...

thanks for reading

KPM
03-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Well, it's all part of business...buying and selling with a subtential profit....Sillerman made a whole lot of money over the years....and maybe he just want to know...how the rumor of selling will make offers to come out and then in the swirll big money will be on the line.....see everything has a price....see up here in canada we have a hockey club that is consider as an icon the montreal canadians....and they were makin big money out of it.....but they try out the rumor of selling...and guess what...the became serious...because offers were very serious...and the club was sold...and sillerman hes that kind of guy......money, money, money....he care for the fan's as long as they bring money.....that's all....and IMO if someone pulls the right money in.....we'll have a knew owner...

thanks for reading
Well to "pretend" you are negotiating with someone else to purchase your company-to send the price of your stock up-is illegal.....its called stock manipulation.
So Sillerman better have someone else who is interested and both better be negotiating in earnest.

vivaelvis
03-31-2010, 05:11 AM
Well to "pretend" you are negotiating with someone else to purchase your company-to send the price of your stock up-is illegal.....its called stock manipulation.
So Sillerman better have someone else who is interested and both better be negotiating in earnest.

That's not what's going on. There really is a deal in the works and has been confirmed. It's up to both parties to come to an agreement to make it official. CKX will most likely remain as is, just under a new powerful management with Robert Sillerman remaining in charge of the Graceland redevelopments.

KPM
04-01-2010, 04:24 PM
That's not what's going on. There really is a deal in the works and has been confirmed. It's up to both parties to come to an agreement to make it official. CKX will most likely remain as is, just under a new powerful management with Robert Sillerman remaining in charge of the Graceland redevelopments.
Yes I know thats not whats going on-I was commenting on the suggestion by someone else that it might be a pretense to send stocks higher, and that is illegal so I pointed it out.
CKx being bought outright-would not necessarily leave everything "as is"-you are ignoring the possibility that Sillerman just wants out-which could be possible. Also the new people may not want him in-clean break.
(I'm sure he will be paid handsomely it thats the case)
In the past he has made money by buying things and then after a small amount of tinkering selling them off to move on to another venture........so that could be the case here.
I just do not have the confidence in this man that you seem to have.
The fact that he is already after 5-6 years association-looking to sell or at the least needs to bring in someone else does not inspire confidence IMO

Powerful new management under Sillerman??? The management up to now has been anything but powerful......it has been slow, cautious, tentative, unsure, wishy washy but not powerful.

Out of curiosity are you somehow affiliated with CKx?

UDnKY
04-03-2010, 06:33 PM
CKx Inc., the company that controls Elvis Presley Enterprises and Graceland operations, says it is in discussions regarding a sale of the company.

In a statement released early this morning, CKx said it would not elaborate on the terms of the “possible transaction.”

CKx owns and develops entertainment content, and its properties include the rights to the image and likeness of Elvis Presley, Graceland operations, and the rights to the name, image and likeness of Muhammad Ali , and the American Idol series in the U.S.

The company's statement followed a report Friday by the Wall Street Journal, which said the company was close to selling itself to the private equity firm, One Equity Partners, which offered $6 a share. CNBC also reported this morning that the company is being acquired by one of its equity partners.

vivaelvis
04-04-2010, 12:18 AM
I wouldn't expect this news about a possibile buyout to be a block in the Graceland plans. In fact I expect it to benefit those plans. I found this website on another Elvis forum and it explains what to expect if this buyout goes through. It will help CKX not take it over.
http://www.oneequity.com/

elvisia
04-04-2010, 01:16 AM
I think that the headline is SO WRONG....."Graceland for sale" :supriced:...I don`t believe that until Lisa Marie is actually coming forward and say so.
Manegement of the business might be for sale though, but Graceland it self....NO.

Go here

http://www.elvis.com/corporate/elvis_epe.asp

And among other things it says:

Lisa Marie Presley retains 100% sole personal ownership of Graceland Mansion itself and its over 13-acre original grounds and her father's personal effects - meaning costumes, wardrobe, awards, furniture, cars, etc.. She has made the mansion property and her father's personal effects permanently available for tours of Graceland and for use in all of EPE's operations.

Do you actually think that Lisa marie will ever sell Graceland and/or her father's personal effects?......I don`t;)

vivaelvis
04-04-2010, 02:42 AM
I think that the headline is SO WRONG....."Graceland for sale" :supriced:...I don`t believe that until Lisa Marie is actually coming forward and say so.
Manegement of the business might be for sale though, but Graceland it self....NO.

Go here

Lisa Marie Presley retains 100% sole personal ownership of Graceland Mansion itself and its over 13-acre original grounds and her father's personal effects - meaning costumes, wardrobe, awards, furniture, cars, etc.. She has made the mansion property and her father's personal effects permanently available for tours of Graceland and for use in all of EPE's operations.

Do you actually think that Lisa marie will ever sell Graceland and/or her father's personal effects?......I don`t;)

I guess it's alot easier to just say 'Graceland for sale' than saying 'Elvis' naming rights and business operations of Graceland mansion up for sale'. But neither are up for sale. The media is so wrong on all accounts with this. You'd think they would do a better job at researching their sources before putting it in print.

Jumpsuit Junkie
04-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Sillyman is hedging his bets, he knows with the addition of Elvis rights he can get a better price for his business. Personally I don't care if he does sell the rights, the situation could scarcely be worse than it is at the moment. The inaction around Elvis through Sillerman is bad for Elvis Presley and his fans, whilst Sillerman is standing still, opportunities are being missed. EPE were struggling and that's why the sold out to Sillerman, but he is going backwards..

dstrattenfan
04-05-2010, 12:08 AM

Go here

I agree totally.............She will never sell Graceland or Elvis's belongings

KPM
04-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Sillyman is hedging his bets, he knows with the addition of Elvis rights he can get a better price for his business. Personally I don't care if he does sell the rights, the situation could scarcely be worse than it is at the moment. The inaction around Elvis through Sillerman is bad for Elvis Presley and his fans, whilst Sillerman is standing still, opportunities are being missed. EPE were struggling and that's why the sold out to Sillerman, but he is going backwards..
I agree-(y)Yes he is hedging-and looking for a profit in the bargain. If he wants to he can sell his share completely and let someone else do the hard lifting or he can retain some stock and not be as upfront-either way he makes money.
Personally I just have little confidence in the situation as it exists since Sillerman took over...too many things are still up in the air and the operation is coasting.

Wendy56
04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
I don`t believe that until Lisa Marie is actually coming forward and say so.
Yep, that's right. I remember her saying past time: "We're not selling the whole thing, we still have the 15%". And actually, I'm white susprised for what that 15% can be in terms of money: a big amount of dollars. No wonder why they're rich. ;]

If he is just looking for investors to help with the financing-that is a little bit different story.
Yep, I guess the original article about the "selling Graceland" refers to looking for investors. I cannot imagine the owner of 85% selling his money-maker machine. Inverstors ill mean a plus for his ambitious plans.

vivaelvis
04-15-2010, 01:18 AM
Robert FX Sillerman confirmed that the Graceland plans are on track today in Memphis. Says "get ready for a spectacular redevelopment". http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/apr/14/graceland-says-redevelopment-track-and-its-going-b/

KPM
04-20-2010, 10:03 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/apr/14/graceland-says-redevelopment-track-and-its-going-b/
.....Collins said Sillerman didn't give details of the development master plan, which CKx said in its annual report last month was being reconfigured after original designs were discarded.

"He did not talk specifics of what the design would be or what it would look like, and I did not press him on that," Collins said.

Chamber officials wouldn't comment, citing confidentiality of pending development matters.

CKx confirmed sale rumors last month after The Wall Street Journal reported that the company might be sold to a private-equity division of JP Morgan Chase.....

Long on promise short on delivery IMO.

elvisia
04-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Yep, that's right. I remember her saying past time: "We're not selling the whole thing, we still have the 15%". And actually, I'm white susprised for what that 15% can be in terms of money: a big amount of dollars. No wonder why they're rich. ;]

I`m just glad for Lisa Marie that Elvis`left her something to last for a long time. I don`t know just HOW much money she actually is cashing in every year, but at least at one time, she gave away some of it to charity..........Anyone know anything about her giving away to charity these days?

hounddog
04-20-2010, 11:03 PM
i remember reading something about Presley Place
http://www.elvis.com/presleyplace/epcf/

elvisia
04-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Ok, Thank you Hounddog. Yes that seems to be going on still.....good to see:D

vivaelvis
04-22-2010, 11:15 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/apr/14/graceland-says-redevelopment-track-and-its-going-b/
.....Collins said Sillerman didn't give details of the development master plan, which CKx said in its annual report last month was being reconfigured after original designs were discarded.

"He did not talk specifics of what the design would be or what it would look like, and I did not press him on that," Collins said.

Chamber officials wouldn't comment, citing confidentiality of pending development matters.

CKx confirmed sale rumors last month after The Wall Street Journal reported that the company might be sold to a private-equity division of JP Morgan Chase.....

Long on promise short on delivery IMO.

There's not much one can do when they're dealing with the nation's worst economic recession since the great depression of the 40's. Give the man a break.

KPM
04-27-2010, 04:25 PM
I have repeatidly said I give him a break on the last year when the economy went bad-that year has nothing to do with the 1st 4 he had control, nor the year or so before that when he and his advisors should have been deciding the course they would take when the deal became final. Those years I do not give him a break-it was just not handled nor prepared well for someone who is suppose to be such a genius in matters of finance.
Many failures came long before the world economy fell. He has just not delivered. (But he has made a steady profit from EPE-and is now trying to sell a portion of the deal which is in line with his past)

Brian Quinn
04-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Memphis Mayor A C Wharton Jr. is scheduled to take his first budget proposal to the Memphis City Council Tuesday, April 27th.

The council is also weighing other shifts in funding in the current fiscal year that ends June 30, including transferring $200,000 in leftover construction funds from the National Ornamental Metal Museum for preliminary design work and data collection on Elvis Presley Boulevard improvements.

More information will be forthcoming in the next few days.

Brian ;)

Lisarose
04-27-2010, 06:44 PM
**sigh** another decade another "Graceland for Sale" rumor.

Like we don't know who owns Graceland. . .:doh:

KPM
04-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Memphis Mayor A C Wharton Jr. is scheduled to take his first budget proposal to the Memphis City Council Tuesday, April 27th.

The council is also weighing other shifts in funding in the current fiscal year that ends June 30, including transferring $200,000 in leftover construction funds from the National Ornamental Metal Museum for preliminary design work and data collection on Elvis Presley Boulevard improvements.

More information will be forthcoming in the next few days.

Brian ;)

Information is easily announced-easily said-it is the actual physical progress that seems hard for eveyone involved.
I think that we have had announcements for over 5 years since the 85% acquisition of EPE-now that the economy is worldwide in the tank-the physical end is even more in doubt for at least the next couple years. The economy is not expected to be in full recovery until near 2012 (if nothing else happens of negative impact) then the US will have to address the massive debt situation and that will mean cutbacks of one kind or another-those cutbacks have a huge affect on companies, workers and plans for expansion of any type. I would not count to heavily on any major announcements-$200.000 dollars might hire another firm for another study of which way to proceed.....but its a far cry from actual physical work toward a set goal (which has not been defined)

vivaelvis
05-01-2010, 06:46 AM
Information is easily announced-easily said-it is the actual physical progress that seems hard for eveyone involved.
I think that we have had announcements for over 5 years since the 85% acquisition of EPE-now that the economy is worldwide in the tank-the physical end is even more in doubt for at least the next couple years. The economy is not expected to be in full recovery until near 2012 (if nothing else happens of negative impact) then the US will have to address the massive debt situation and that will mean cutbacks of one kind or another-those cutbacks have a huge affect on companies, workers and plans for expansion of any type. I would not count to heavily on any major announcements-$200.000 dollars might hire another firm for another study of which way to proceed.....but its a far cry from actual physical work toward a set goal (which has not been defined)

Don't be surprised if things get moving a little more quickly sooner than later. http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/exclusive-allen-shapiro-behind-one-equity-partners-planned-deal-to-buy-american-idols-ckx/

KPM
05-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Don't be surprised if things get moving a little more quickly sooner than later. http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/exclusive-allen-shapiro-behind-one-equity-partners-planned-deal-to-buy-american-idols-ckx/

I recall that same phrase-5 years ago;):D
I really am not worried about it-not in the least. Elvis Presley has endured-without Sillerman, EPE etc since 1953.
Some want us to feel that-the sky will collapse on Graceland-if Sillerman does not act.......well I'm not worried.

vivaelvis
05-02-2010, 07:40 PM
I recall that same phrase-5 years ago;):D
I really am not worried about it-not in the least. Elvis Presley has endured-without Sillerman, EPE etc since 1953.
Some want us to feel that-the sky will collapse on Graceland-if Sillerman does not act.......well I'm not worried.

Then why such a pessimistic outlook? Personally, I disagree and think the longer this drags out and no improvements are made the worse the area will get. Memphis is right now rated as one of the worst US cities both economically and image-wise. Sure there's crime in every city, but not at the level of Memphis, per capita. And unfortunately the Whitehaven area is fastly becoming one of the worst parts of Memphis. Fans who visit for a day or a few hours don't see the affects but to those who live there they do and are fearful for what's to come if changes aren't made soon. The sky may not be falling on Elvis' legacy or image but it sure isn't stable over his famous home. That's why improvement is necessary and needed ASAP.

KPM
05-02-2010, 10:16 PM
I am not pessimistic on Elvis-I am pessimistic on Sillerman. Those who live near Whitehaven should not be worring about what Sillerman is or is not going to do.......
If they are dissatisfied with crime in the area they need to vote for someone who takes action, they should get involved in cleaning up the area, they can move if its that bad
I live near St Louis and have pointed out the crime rate there is worse than Memphis, ......try visiting East St Louis.....you will have a better idea of crime.
My daughter went to Memphis at Thanksgiving time-she felt safe at the mansion, she felt safe on Beale Street and said the police were highly visible.
If you want to bank the future of Memphis on Sillerman-you do not understand how democracy works..... it is not EPE, or Sillerman who have the responsibility for combating crime-it is the city, the mayor, the county the state.
Like I said I am all for seeing crime lessened in Memphis, in St Louis, in the nation-but if Memphis is waiting on EPE or Sillerman to take appropriate action-something is wrong with the cities operation.
I think Graceland is secure-compared to many other Historic landmarks it has a very safe record-and if more security is needed I have no doubt it will be added- but as for Whitehaven or Beale St. etc.....get on the cities back for action that is independent of what happens with Sillerman.

vivaelvis
05-02-2010, 11:40 PM
I am not pessimistic on Elvis-I am pessimistic on Sillerman. Those who live near Whitehaven should not be worring about what Sillerman is or is not going to do.......
If they are dissatisfied with crime in the area they need to vote for someone who takes action, they should get involved in cleaning up the area, they can move if its that bad
I live near St Louis and have pointed out the crime rate there is worse than Memphis, ......try visiting East St Louis.....you will have a better idea of crime.
My daughter went to Memphis at Thanksgiving time-she felt safe at the mansion, she felt safe on Beale Street and said the police were highly visible.
If you want to bank the future of Memphis on Sillerman-you do not understand how democracy works..... it is not EPE, or Sillerman who have the responsibility for combating crime-it is the city, the mayor, the county the state.
Like I said I am all for seeing crime lessened in Memphis, in St Louis, in the nation-but if Memphis is waiting on EPE or Sillerman to take appropriate action-something is wrong with the cities operation.
I think Graceland is secure-compared to many other Historic landmarks it has a very safe record-and if more security is needed I have no doubt it will be added- but as for Whitehaven or Beale St. etc.....get on the cities back for action that is independent of what happens with Sillerman.

You obviously know nothing about Memphis in 2010. The city is ran by crooks and imcompetents who have been constantly under investigation by the FBI. You would be surprised to know how close to the truth you actually are concerning the city waiting on Sillerman to make the first move. Like I said, it's a backwards ran operation in Memphis and those who live there either want out and can't afford to leave or are part of the problem. Some people are dictated and are scared to stand up to higher powers. Mayor Wharton is trying to clean up the corruptiveness but he's got a dog fight in front of him. Especially considering his own son is in prison for statutory rape.

What your daughter saw while there was a fake image and not what the everyday residents see and know. Trust me on this. I used to live in South Memphis not to far from Graceland and know how crappy things are actually ran by the crooked politicians. Herenton was the black Hitler when he was mayor. He literally devided us into a black and white Memphis and still to this day plays the race card on every debate he's involved in.

If Graceland is so "safe" then explain why a young black man felt it was OK to drive his SUV up the driveway through the locked gates and for it to take the police 30 minutes to even show up? Explain to me why at 3:00 AM a family driving through Memphis stopped to see the famous mansion from the road pulloff and were carjecked as a result? Explain to me why back in 1997 2 young black teenage females were gunned down in front of Graceland in broad daylight in a gang related murder? It's a bad neighborhood that is 90% black populated with a low income. They've made several arrests lately in the area for drugs, prostitution and meth labs in their homes. What used to be middle class has become low class there. I'm telling you it's not the safehaven as you and some other fans want to believe it is. And unfortunately I feel that eventualy something horrible will probably happen to prove that theory.

The reason I'm telling you all of this is to show you and others that it's not a wonderland like neighborhood around Graceland. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

KPM
05-04-2010, 10:30 PM
You obviously know nothing about Memphis in 2010. The city is ran by crooks and imcompetents who have been constantly under investigation by the FBI. You would be surprised to know how close to the truth you actually are concerning the city waiting on Sillerman to make the first move. Like I said, it's a backwards ran operation in Memphis and those who live there either want out and can't afford to leave or are part of the problem. Some people are dictated and are scared to stand up to higher powers. Mayor Wharton is trying to clean up the corruptiveness but he's got a dog fight in front of him. Especially considering his own son is in prison for statutory rape.

What your daughter saw while there was a fake image and not what the everyday residents see and know. Trust me on this. I used to live in South Memphis not to far from Graceland and know how crappy things are actually ran by the crooked politicians. Herenton was the black Hitler when he was mayor. He literally devided us into a black and white Memphis and still to this day plays the race card on every debate he's involved in.

If Graceland is so "safe" then explain why a young black man felt it was OK to drive his SUV up the driveway through the locked gates and for it to take the police 30 minutes to even show up? Explain to me why at 3:00 AM a family driving through Memphis stopped to see the famous mansion from the road pulloff and were carjecked as a result? Explain to me why back in 1997 2 young black teenage females were gunned down in front of Graceland in broad daylight in a gang related murder? It's a bad neighborhood that is 90% black populated with a low income. They've made several arrests lately in the area for drugs, prostitution and meth labs in their homes. What used to be middle class has become low class there. I'm telling you it's not the safehaven as you and some other fans want to believe it is. And unfortunately I feel that eventualy something horrible will probably happen to prove that theory.

The reason I'm telling you all of this is to show you and others that it's not a wonderland like neighborhood around Graceland. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Do you really think that the problems of Memphis are that much worse than St Louis and East St louis- I live 25 miles from each.......or how about Chicago where one areas congressman have asked the Governor to send in the National Guard to help with the guns and shootings, how about Detroit, or Cleveland? You do not have to live in a city to "understand" a situation.
I have not said there was no crime in Memphis-never, I have acknowledged crime in Memphis, and in every other city in America. You point to one problem that happened recently after over 30 plus years at Graceland.
I have sympathy for the plight of honest people who live in Whitehaven (and any other crime heavy area) but also understand that it is a city/county/state problem problem.
Over five years ago someone else complained here about this very same topic-that Sillerman was going to be the champion of some type of urban renewal to help Memphis, Whitehaven , etc.....and I told them the same thing I am telling you....it is silly to count on any business, industry, or individual to be the driving force for what is basically a government/citizens problem. If people who are affected by this crime-would get out and vote, truely get involved instead of waiting for Sillerman or anyone else to "solve" the problem corruption would be gone. In most elections so few citizens vote and get involved-no wonder corrupt politicians not only exist-but prosper. People who sit and wait for a white Knight-are just making the problems worse-not better.
In East St. Louis car jackings are a dime a dozen every day of the week, as are drive by shootings, rapes, robberies and yes murder-I am not saying Memphis does not have crime-but no one has been shot to death within Gracelands grounds, nor raped, nor robbed-crime may be in Memphis but Graceland is fairly safe. I will admit I would not stray far from the main tourist attractions in Memphis-but I would say the same thing about St Louis, Chicogo, New York, San Fransico, Detroit, Los Angelos, London, Paris, Mexico City, Rome, etc all have crime, all have danger and you have to watch your step.
Since it appears Sillerman may actually be selling all or a substantial portion of CKX-someone else may actually be the main man in charge-if so... that leaves Memphis waiting to see what approach the new person in charge will take(and then the studies and the planning etc).....and if it comes to pass, then waiting on Sillerman to save the city was unfortunately just wasted time.

The last time I read anything about the potential deal to sell by Sillerman-he would only have 20.6% interest in it all after the sale.

vivaelvis
05-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Do you really think that the problems of Memphis are that much worse than St Louis and East St louis- I live 25 miles from each.......or how about Chicago where one areas congressman have asked the Governor to send in the National Guard to help with the guns and shootings, how about Detroit, or Cleveland? You do not have to live in a city to "understand" a situation.
I have not said there was no crime in Memphis-never, I have acknowledged crime in Memphis, and in every other city in America. You point to one problem that happened recently after over 30 plus years at Graceland.
I have sympathy for the plight of honest people who live in Whitehaven (and any other crime heavy area) but also understand that it is a city/county/state problem problem.
Over five years ago someone else complained here about this very same topic-that Sillerman was going to be the champion of some type of urban renewal to help Memphis, Whitehaven , etc.....and I told them the same thing I am telling you....it is silly to count on any business, industry, or individual to be the driving force for what is basically a government/citizens problem. If people who are affected by this crime-would get out and vote, truely get involved instead of waiting for Sillerman or anyone else to "solve" the problem corruption would be gone. In most elections so few citizens vote and get involved-no wonder corrupt politicians not only exist-but prosper. People who sit and wait for a white Knight-are just making the problems worse-not better.
In East St. Louis car jackings are a dime a dozen every day of the week, as are drive by shootings, rapes, robberies and yes murder-I am not saying Memphis does not have crime-but no one has been shot to death within Gracelands grounds, nor raped, nor robbed-crime may be in Memphis but Graceland is fairly safe. I will admit I would not stray far from the main tourist attractions in Memphis-but I would say the same thing about St Louis, Chicogo, New York, San Fransico, Detroit, Los Angelos, London, Paris, Mexico City, Rome, etc all have crime, all have danger and you have to watch your step.
Since it appears Sillerman may actually be selling all or a substantial portion of CKX-someone else may actually be the main man in charge-if so... that leaves Memphis waiting to see what approach the new person in charge will take(and then the studies and the planning etc).....and if it comes to pass, then waiting on Sillerman to save the city was unfortunately just wasted time.

The last time I read anything about the potential deal to sell by Sillerman-he would only have 20.6% interest in it all after the sale.

I have never implied that I think Robert Sillerman is some type of savior for Graceland, Elvis or especially Memphis. I've made it clear that it's Memphis officials who do think of him that way and that's part of their incompetence and backwards ways of doing business in that city. You say make a difference by voting for someone else. Well the problem with that is it's a corruptive system, just like in St Louis, Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit and so on. But in Memphis it's more complicated. The FBI is constantly investigating wrong doings there and have been for years now.

The deal with CKX is very complexed. I don't have time tonight to go all into it but will do a seperate thread when I get the chance to break it down for all who are confused and misguided by the news reports about the deal with OEP and CKX. I will say that Robert Sillerman currently owns 21% of the stake in CKX and would still own 20% and remain CEO in the potential buyout. It's more of a partnership than a takeover and will benefit future project developments for the company.

KPM
05-06-2010, 10:36 PM
I have never implied that I think Robert Sillerman is some type of savior for Graceland, Elvis or especially Memphis. I've made it clear that it's Memphis officials who do think of him that way and that's part of their incompetence and backwards ways of doing business in that city. You say make a difference by voting for someone else. Well the problem with that is it's a corruptive system, just like in St Louis, Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit and so on. But in Memphis it's more complicated. The FBI is constantly investigating wrong doings there and have been for years now.

The deal with CKX is very complexed. I don't have time tonight to go all into it but will do a seperate thread when I get the chance to break it down for all who are confused and misguided by the news reports about the deal with OEP and CKX. I will say that Robert Sillerman currently owns 21% of the stake in CKX and would still own 20% and remain CEO in the potential buyout. It's more of a partnership than a takeover and will benefit future project developments for the company.
In the US the average voter turnout on most elections is less than 40%-thats why any communitity with bad politicians (corrupt or inept) stay in power. 40%!!!! That means out of about 300 million people less than 120 million actually get involved. Most people say that its no use, that no one listens to them, or that the "fix is in" IMO thats a cop out.
As far as the deal for CKX do not bother to explain it-its not that important to me. When Sillerman bought his 85% someone else was constantly trying to "explain" the situation and his deal-and over 5 years later its obvious they were wrong.
No offense but Elvis is the reason everyone is here-and I have always taken the stance that we will see what happens in this never ending Sillerman saga-when it happens.
I pointed out 5 years ago that Sillerman is known for buying things, tinkering with them and then selling out the control and making a profit-the rumor is that a man named Shapiro will actually be the head man (perhaps Chairman of the Board)when all is said and done but it matters little to me-since his rep is close to Sillermans. Once again as it happens it happens.