PDA

View Full Version : who was VERNON PRESLEY?

lvs2day
01-30-2010, 05:54 PM
much has bin written and discussed about ELVIS and his beloved mother GLADYS [ELVIS AND GLADYS BOOK], but what about vernon , it seems to me that he was a very private man , much more so than ELVIS , some stories had surfaced that he used to beat GLADYS , and even cheat on her , even in the stanley books little is written about him, some also say he was very cheap/frugal , liked to tinker with cars, was a good carpenter . I would really like to see a book on ELVIS daddy, i know that patsy could very well be that person to at least co write a book, anyone know a bit more about him, or have some info that we have missed over the years.

May
01-30-2010, 06:01 PM
You do ask some thought provoking questions lvs2day (y)
I'll have a bit of a think :hmm: before answering. Back soon! ;)

Tony Trout
01-30-2010, 06:08 PM
It has been said by those closest to Elvis (yes, I'm referring to the Memphis Mafia and that includes his own cousin, Billy Smith) that Vernon was someone who did, in fact, beat/abuse Gladys and Elvis would call home from the road in the early years of the 50s to check on her to make sure that Vernon was keeping his hands off of her and he reportedly told his father once: "Daddy, if you ever lay another hand on her, I'll kill you!".

Vernon apparently was happy when Elvis became successful because that meant that he didn't/wouldn't have to work anymore. It's been said that Vernon didn't have much of an education, either, and that he could barely read or write - but that depends on who you want to believe.

I do find it very odd/funny that Elvis hired him as his business manager.....

sasha
01-30-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't believe a thing the MM has to say.

May
01-30-2010, 08:07 PM
It has been said by those closest to Elvis (yes, I'm referring to the Memphis Mafia and that includes his own cousin, Billy Smith) that Vernon was someone who did, in fact, beat/abuse Gladys and Elvis would call home from the road in the early years of the 50s to check on her to make sure that Vernon was keeping his hands off of her and he reportedly told his father once: "Daddy, if you ever lay another hand on her, I'll kill you!".

Vernon apparently was happy when Elvis became successful because that meant that he didn't/wouldn't have to work anymore. It's been said that Vernon didn't have much of an education, either, and that he could barely read or write - but that depends on who you want to believe.

I do find it very odd/funny that Elvis hired him as his business manager.....

I've read all of this too.

It's ever so hard to 'judge' people who were two generations away. You can kind of see where your parents were coming from, but their parents :doh: that's a couple of lifetimes away. :hmm:

I sort of believe that he probably did abuse Gladys; whether physically or verbally, mainly because of their situation (although no, thats no excuse:nono:). I also believe that he probably was on the lazy side and was so pleased when EP became successful. I think Elvis would have trusted him to become his "Business Manager", but ultimately he knew that his father wasn't up to the job, and didn't have the contacts the Col did.

May
01-30-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't believe a thing the MM has to say.

Understand what you are saying Sasha. (y)

sasha
01-30-2010, 08:31 PM
I just don't see how anyone can profess to know what Vernon did or was in his early years ,except family that were there. .
The MM were not around him and I don't like stories starting out with -" it's been said "

IMO, the MM has made enough money off their Elvis stories to last a lifetime .

May
01-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Oh I do so agree with your last sentence!!

On the one hand people don't have to know someone inside out to get an idea on how they are as a person. In fact sometimes it is the people who ARENT so close that can give an all round view of them. On the other hand I can see (again) your point. How on earth can they claim to know someone when they arent there at that time.

It's basically all views and opinions isnt it.

italianfan
01-30-2010, 08:35 PM
I havent thought about this question in depth but the first thing that came into my head was that Vernon was probably a very simple man, like Elvis who knew the hard side of life, probably didnt have much of an education growning up in the south towards the start of the century. However, when the money came for Elvis he obviously enjoyed it but it was plain to see that he still had his old views on money and was very careful with it.

As for him beating Gladys, well he probably did. And as May said, its not excusable but it was a different era and a different lifestyle to what any of us have lived.

Tony Trout
01-31-2010, 12:05 AM
I just don't see how anyone can profess to know what Vernon did or was in his early years ,except family that were there. .
The MM were not around him and I don't like stories starting out with -" it's been said "

Sasha,

Then I guess you don't believe Billy Smith, Elvis's own cousin? He, along with Lamar, were there when these things went on.

sasha
01-31-2010, 01:56 AM
Sasha,

Then I guess you don't believe Billy Smith, Elvis's own cousin? He, along with Lamar, were there when these things went on.

No, can't say that I do. Did either live with Vernon & Gladys ?
Let's see, Elvis would have been in his teens in the '50s.

There have been many that have made a living off sensational stories of the Presley family. Including the family.
Seems that some family members use their blood relations in many ways. Billy hasn't said a lot in the last few years after complaining about being left out of Elvis' will.
In the long run, what does it matter & who does it benefit to keep telling such wild stories ?
Only the ones that get paid for repeating them .

Brian
01-31-2010, 05:50 AM

They know because Elvis told them and they were around several of the family members.
Then when Vernon was supposedly beating Gladys they were around then.

I think most of the MM guys are broke

Elvis books don't really make that much and they don't get the huge advances that someone like a Ted Kennedy or a Sarah Palin would get for a book.

I do think that since George Klein just recently came out with a book that there will be no more Elvis books from the inner circle.
The well is dry.

Brian
01-31-2010, 06:01 AM
Vernon Presley did play a crucial yet often overlooked moment in Elvis' career

When Elvis fired Colonel Parker after the fight they had in September 1973 Vernon encouraged Elvis to patch things up with him because he was worried he'd have to pay the 2 million dollars that Parker claimed was owed to him.

If Vernon hadn't of done that the Elvis/Colonel Parker partnership would've ended right there in Vegas in September 1973.

So after reading this message a lot of fans will be reminded of this fact and won't like Vernon Presley.

sasha
01-31-2010, 06:17 AM
They know because Elvis told them and they were around several of the family members.
Then when Vernon was supposedly beating Gladys they were around then.

I think most of the MM guys are broke

Elvis books don't really make that much and they don't get the huge advances that someone like a Ted Kennedy or a Sarah Palin would get for a book.

I do think that since George Klein just recently came out with a book that there will be no more Elvis books from the inner circle.
The well is dry.

I'm not here to argue. Everyone has their own opinion.
I have to ask the question; who said Elvis told the MM this? ;)

I'd be thankful if there were no more books from the "inner circle."
I've heard quite enough from all of them.

Brian
01-31-2010, 09:18 AM

I'd be thankful if there were no more books from the "inner circle."
I've heard quite enough from all of them.

I said he did

It's just the natural order of the universe.

If you have a close friend or spouse then you'll tell them things about yourself that happened before they met you or when they weren't there.

Since the MM were friends of Elvis' i'm positive they had those conversations.
Also several members of the MM came and went and then came back again so they know what went on when they were absent through the guys that were there at that time.

For example Sonny West, Red West, Marty Lacker were completely gone by 1976 and Lamar Fike wasn't around very much either so all the things they talk about that happened to Elvis in the last year or year and a half of his life comes from Billy and Jo Smith.

monk37
01-31-2010, 09:41 AM
We do know a fair bit about Vernon.

He was the bad son, Vester was the good one.

Vernon was allergic to working, he was a handsome ladies man like his father.

Vernon was younger than Gladys and when Elvis was born, Vernon was beside the point and reduced in stature to Elvis.

Vernon drifted from job to job, landed in Jail for cheque forgery, Gladys worked hard to get him out of one of the most infamous jails of the era - Parchman

Most likely they did leave Tupelo because Vernon was running moonshine and likely to be arrested again.

Elvis felt from a young age that he had to take care of his parents, this is the case when parents don't play the parent role.

Vernon stopped working as soon as Elvis started making more money in a month than Vernon had ever made in a year

and like Elvis did for most of his other relatives, Elvis gave his dad a job - that he wasn't up for and that he hadn't prepared Elvis to take care of himself.

Merry
01-31-2010, 09:50 AM
I said he did

If you have a close friend or spouse then you'll tell them things about yourself that happened before they met you or when they weren't there.

Also several members of the MM came and went and then came back again so they know what went on when they were absent through the guys that were there at that time.

For example Sonny West, Red West, Marty Lacker were completely gone by 1976 and Lamar Fike wasn't around very much either so all the things they talk about that happened to Elvis in the last year or year and a half of his life comes from Billy and Jo Smith.

Hi Brian,

However, each of the men contradict each other in "Elvis and the Memphis Mafia", when interviewed, as their memory recollection is different from each other's, probably due to their previous life experiences, education, and outlooks on life.

May
01-31-2010, 10:37 AM

(y)(y)(y)(y)

debtdbruno
01-31-2010, 11:17 AM
You do ask some thought provoking questions lvs2day (y)
I'll have a bit of a think :hmm: before answering. Back soon! ;)

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

quite agree May..........

debtdbruno
01-31-2010, 11:25 AM
We do know a fair bit about Vernon.

He was the bad son, Vester was the good one.

Vernon was allergic to working, he was a handsome ladies man like his father.

Vernon was younger than Gladys and when Elvis was born, Vernon was beside the point and reduced in stature to Elvis.

Vernon drifted from job to job, landed in Jail for cheque forgery, Gladys worked hard to get him out of one of the most infamous jails of the era - Parchman

Most likely they did leave Tupelo because Vernon was running moonshine and likely to be arrested again.

Elvis felt from a young age that he had to take care of his parents, this is the case when parents don't play the parent role.

Vernon stopped working as soon as Elvis started making more money in a month than Vernon had ever made in a year

and like Elvis did for most of his other relatives, Elvis gave his dad a job - that he wasn't up for and that he hadn't prepared Elvis to take care of himself.

excellent points

Also, didn't Gladys whack Vernon occasionally with the frying pan????

May
01-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Apparently (or allegedly!!) so!!!

debtdbruno
01-31-2010, 11:34 AM
this is it........we can use the word 'allegedly' with just about every facet of his life if it wasn't captured on film or tape

May
01-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Very true.
Talking of Gladys, I have heard many times that elvis saw Gladys in Priscilla when they met. And also heard the same said of ginger. I personally don't see anything of her in either women, looks wise at least.

debtdbruno
01-31-2010, 02:22 PM
me neither May.........

sasha
01-31-2010, 02:38 PM
I said he did

As I've said, I don't argue.You have a right to your opinion.
I like a few proven facts. I've seen none, only the he said ,she said.

As to telling my friends or spouse; no I don't.
Some things they don't need to know as I try not to stir
up hard feelings in the family. I can handle any problems that occur.

I don't repeat anything my friends tell me in confidence either.
It would just be hear-say, not proveable in any case.

Have a good day, Brian. (y)

sasha
01-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Very true.
Talking of Gladys, I have heard many times that elvis saw Gladys in Priscilla when they met. And also heard the same said of ginger. I personally don't see anything of her in either women, looks wise at least.

The only thing I ever saw in comparing Priscilla & Gladys was the dark eyes.
Evidently, if this is true, Elvis saw something in Cilla no one else did. :)
But, he was closer to them both than we could ever be.

Diane
01-31-2010, 02:50 PM
The only thing I ever saw in comparing Priscilla & Gladys was the dark eyes.
Evidently, if this is true, Elvis saw something in Cilla no one else did. :)
But, he was closer to them both than we could ever be.

The only thing I could ever see would be that their colouring was similar to Gladys but Gladys had brown eyes and Priscilla has blue. I can't remember what colour of eyes Ginger has.

Diane

sasha
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
The only thing I could ever see would be that their colouring was similar to Gladys but Gladys had brown eyes and Priscilla has blue. I can't remember what colour of eyes Ginger has.

Diane
You're right. I was thinking of the complexion too. Sorry.
As for Ginger, must ask Teddy.:) Some say blue, others brown.

monk37
01-31-2010, 05:33 PM
excellent points

Also, didn't Gladys whack Vernon occasionally with the frying pan????

I suspect that they beat on each other in different ways

Gladys wasn't adverse to getting physical when it came to protecting Elvis - there's lots of stories of her baring down on a kid in a skuffle with Elvis.

even though Elvis was usually winning

May
01-31-2010, 07:23 PM
You're right. I was thinking of the complexion too. Sorry.
As for Ginger, must ask Teddy.:) Some say blue, others brown.

I think Ginger had brown eyes.

May
01-31-2010, 07:24 PM

. (y)

Me too!(y)

Unfortunately that's all we can really go by on boards such as these.

sasha
01-31-2010, 07:47 PM
Me too!(y)

Unfortunately that's all we can really go by on boards such as these.
It's also why there's so much mis-information out here . Even the ones that should know, have different stories.
I try to talk/listen to the family & ignore the rest.:blink:

Brian
01-31-2010, 08:32 PM
As I've said, I don't argue.You have a right to your opinion.

As to telling my friends or spouse; no I don't.
Some things they don't need to know as I try not to stir
up hard feelings in the family. I can handle any problems that occur.

I don't repeat anything my friends tell me in confidence either.
It would just be hear-say, not proveable in any case.

Have a good day, Brian. (y)

It's not arguing it's a discussion

The level of discussion and debate on this board is very low.

I was speaking in general when I said friends or spouses tell each other things about themselves before they met as most do.

You don't tell anything your friends tell you in confidence but the MM guys do

sasha
01-31-2010, 08:48 PM
You don't tell anything your friends tell you in confidence but the MM guys do

Truer words were never spoken. (y) :lmfao:

And what they don't know or won't sell; they make up !!

KPM
02-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I said he did

Well Brian "in your opinion" you think he might have told all or some of the MM about all in his past-and it is logical he might have told "some of his past" but almost no one tells all of their past-they tell what they feel comfortable telling.
Also people have skeletons in the closet, family secrets, things which are no ones business but the people involved-and they are rarely told to even close friends because they are uncomfortable to discuss-IMO Elvis would be no exception to this natural order of the universe.
Its hard to know exactly what Elvis told, and to whom, without being a party to those conversations in person.

Brian
02-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Well Brian "in your opinion" you think he might have told all or some of the MM about all in his past-and it is logical he might have told "some of his past" but almost no one tells all of their past-they tell what they feel comfortable telling.
Also people have skeletons in the closet, family secrets, things which are no ones business but the people involved-and they are rarely told to even close friends because they are uncomfortable to discuss-IMO Elvis would be no exception to this natural order of the universe.
Its hard to know exactly what Elvis told, and to whom, without being a party to those conversations in person.

it's not my opinion

I didn't say he told them everyhing but a lot of things he did.

That's how they know some of the things that happened to Elvis when they weren't there.

They all swapped stories with one another.

KPM
02-04-2010, 08:50 PM
it's not my opinion

I didn't say he told them everyhing but a lot of things he did.

That's how they know some of the things that happened to Elvis when they weren't there.

They all swapped stories with one another.
No offense-but unless you know exactly what things he told them, and what things he did not-you can not know for certain anything he told them..........................you can have an educated guess, you can even have a well thought out guess........ but its still supposition.

Brian
02-04-2010, 11:02 PM
No offense-but unless you know exactly what things he told them, and what things he did not-you can not know for certain anything he told them..........................you can have an educated guess, you can even have a well thought out guess........ but its still supposition.

Not reallly

For example as I mentioned all of the original Memphis mafia were gone by 1976.
The only one still there was Billy Smith.

Elvis tells Billy Smith that after the August/September 1977 tour he's going to fire Joe Esposito and he wants Billy to replace him as foreman/road manager.

Marty Lacker, Lamar Fike and Sonny West have all mentioned before that Elvis was planning on firing Joe Esposito but none of them were around then so they don't know first hand Billy Smith told them about it.

presley31
02-04-2010, 11:09 PM

agree KPM (y)(y)(y)(y)

Sweet_One_E.
02-05-2010, 01:14 AM
people say they want to know the truth and then don't believe the most credible person that says it. I consider every source, add it all up and see how it comes out. But some sources are better than others.

KPM
02-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Not reallly

For example as I mentioned all of the original Memphis mafia were gone by 1976.
The only one still there was Billy Smith.

Elvis tells Billy Smith that after the August/September 1977 tour he's going to fire Joe Esposito and he wants Billy to replace him as foreman/road manager.

Marty Lacker, Lamar Fike and Sonny West have all mentioned before that Elvis was planning on firing Joe Esposito but none of them were around then so they don't know first hand Billy Smith told them about it.
Once again Brian you and I will have to agree to disagree-I have a pretty good idea of what supposition is-supposition is according to the dictionary-An assumption, conjecture, speculation.....
You are assuming when you quote indirect information that you have no personal direct knowledge of.................no matter how much creedance you put into the source of that information it still ends up being supposition on your part .....
Billy Smith can say with no supposition on his part-that Elvis was considered firing Joe-but that still does not mean he was actually going to do it-people say a lot of things when they are angry upset or troubled that ends up being "letting off steam"
Joe was still on the job the day Elvis died-which indicates from the time Elvis talked to Billy and the time he died he did not fire JoeIMO
That is not the point of my disagreement with your statement:
"Its not my opinion"
because in essense .....it is your opinion based on what you have heard or read.
We just disagree on what is personal opinion and what is out and out 100% fact beyond any doubt.

May
02-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Great post KPM.

Brian
02-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Once again Brian you and I will have to agree to disagree-I have a pretty good idea of what supposition is-supposition is according to the dictionary-An assumption, conjecture, speculation.....
You are assuming when you quote indirect information that you have no personal direct knowledge of.................no matter how much creedance you put into the source of that information it still ends up being supposition on your part .....
Billy Smith can say with no supposition on his part-that Elvis was considered firing Joe-but that still does not mean he was actually going to do it-people say a lot of things when they are angry upset or troubled that ends up being "letting off steam"
Joe was still on the job the day Elvis died-which indicates from the time Elvis talked to Billy and the time he died he did not fire JoeIMO
"Its not my opinion"
because in essense .....it is your opinion based on what you have heard or read.
We just disagree on what is personal opinion and what is out and out 100% fact beyond any doubt.

What you don't understand is I'm not saying Elvis was going to fire Joe Esposito based on what Billy Smith has said
I think he probably was but that's not the point

i'm saying that the MM share information with each other which is true
that's not my opinion

My example showed that when Sonny West, Red West, Marty Lacker and Lamar Fike weren't there they found out things through Billy Smith.
that's where they get a lot of their information from and they put it in their books.
That is fact that's what i've been saying.

P.S. For the record Billy Smith said Elvis was going to fire Joe after the scheduled upcoming tour that they were going to leave on before his death occurred.
You remember the Memphis and Portland 1977 shows that were cancelled because of Elvis' death.

Donut
02-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Did you know Vernon has his own historical marker in Fulton, Mississippi?

http://www.elvisandhistory.com/mackeymarker-4.JPG

You can read more about it here http://www.elvisandhistory.com/vernon.html

debtdbruno
02-11-2010, 04:56 PM
thanks for that Donut, interesting

Diane
02-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Thank you Donut, nice to know.

Diane

Teddy
02-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I might have guessed that the Cake would be familiar with the Vernon Presley Tribute Site. :lol:

Donut
02-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Of course I was. He made this masterpiece :closedeye

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kyNmCpLWm1U/S0ijGRVumsI/AAAAAAAACOQ/Mcc2WgaSAN0/s400/elvis.jpg

Diane
02-11-2010, 07:20 PM
He certainly did!(y) But I'd like to see something honoring Gladys too as she was as responsible for the masterpiece too.:D

Diane

Donut
02-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Yes, Diane. I guess she had something to do with it too :blush:

Diane
02-11-2010, 07:46 PM
I know it was dumb stating the obvious.:blush::blink:

Diane

Donut
02-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I know it was dumb stating the obvious.:blush::blink:

Diane

No, you were right :lol: He didn't do it alone...

KPM
02-11-2010, 08:21 PM
What you don't understand is I'm not saying Elvis was going to fire Joe Esposito based on what Billy Smith has said
I think he probably was but that's not the point

i'm saying that the MM share information with each other which is true
that's not my opinion
My example showed that when Sonny West, Red West, Marty Lacker and Lamar Fike weren't there they found out things through Billy Smith.
that's where they get a lot of their information from and they put it in their books.
That is fact that's what i've been saying.

P.S. For the record Billy Smith said Elvis was going to fire Joe after the scheduled upcoming tour that they were going to leave on before his death occurred.
You remember the Memphis and Portland 1977 shows that were cancelled because of Elvis' death.

As I pointed out before I was commenting on your post which said "I said he did" thats what I have been refering to.

Well of course they have shared information with each other-but any information shared between them how often and when is anyones guess. But its still information that one person hears or says they have heard-passed on to others-if Billy passed on something it would be his word on the line and the others could only guess as to how truthful it is-the same if Red tells Sonny and Billy something or if Marty tells Lamar something..............
By the time all this comes out in books or in interviews we are only making our opinions at the end of the food chain-how much has been added (or subtracted) from the place of origination is questionable IMO

Teddy
02-11-2010, 10:21 PM
He certainly did!(y) But I'd like to see something honoring Gladys too as she was as responsible for the masterpiece too.:D

Since we're on the subject...
Do you think it's fair loosely speculate that Gladys was responsible for the good in Elvis and Vernon for the bad?
Actually, I can feel a thread coming on...

Jumpsuit Junkie
02-12-2010, 08:33 AM
If I were famous I would support my father if I could..

If my son supported me I would tinker with cars to keep me busy..

I suppose we are victims of our environments, Vernon may have been a bad husband and father at times, although I'm sure Elvis could be a bad son and Glady's could have been guilty of being a bad wife too.
Elvis had fixed views on a lot of things, I'm guessing Elvis may not of wanted his father to have to work.. So it's hard to base an opinion on someone when the behaviours are influenced strongly by others.
As close as Elvis was with his mother, Elvis loved his father too, otherwise Elvis was of a strong enough character to have distanced himself from Vernon.

debtdbruno
02-12-2010, 06:20 PM
If I were famous I would support my father if I could..

If my son supported me I would tinker with cars to keep me busy..

I suppose we are victims of our environments, Vernon may have been a bad husband and father at times, although I'm sure Elvis could be a bad son and Glady's could have been guilty of being a bad wife too.
Elvis had fixed views on a lot of things, I'm guessing Elvis may not of wanted his father to have to work.. So it's hard to base an opinion on someone when the behaviours are influenced strongly by others.
As close as Elvis was with his mother, Elvis loved his father too, otherwise Elvis was of a strong enough character to have distanced himself from Vernon.

well said............they were only human!!!!!

TonyW
02-12-2010, 06:49 PM

Does it meet your approval when they start out by saying,"Elvis told me?" or "Billy told me?" or "Patsy told me?"

It's easy to see you don't like them but as I said yesterday, they know the truth of all those years from first hand experience whereas you only know what you've heard. Everybody has an opinion and your opinion and a $1.25 will get you on a bus. Try getting on with just your opinion.

TonyW
02-12-2010, 06:54 PM
"Its not my opinion"

As I read it,Billy said Elvis was going to fire Joe AFTER the tour that never happened because he died..

Elvis was upset at Joe because of the racquetball Court fiasco and the lawsuit and also because Joe was staying in L.A. all the time the last few years when Elvis and the rest of the MM would return to Memphis. The other thing was that Joe was telling Colonel Parker everything Elvis was doing every day in his personal life and Elvis had enough of that.

sasha
02-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Does it meet your approval when they start out by saying,"Elvis told me?" or "Billy told me?" or "Patsy told me?"

It's easy to see you don't like them but as I said yesterday, they know the truth of all those years from first hand experience whereas you only know what you've heard. Everybody has an opinion and your opinion and a $1.25 will get you on a bus. Try getting on with just your opinion.

Actually, it doesn't meet with my approval of friendship OR ethics.
I've talked to a few people too, as friends. NOT gossip hounds or living off such. .

People can be quiet different & very open if you get to know them. :)