PDA

View Full Version : are ETA'S needed

lvs2day
01-17-2010, 05:11 AM
durring the past 32 years alot has bin said and done about ELVIS PRESLEY and his great legacy that he leaves to his fans and what he would of thought about all that is done on or about him , i have often wondered what he would have thought about the thousands of ETA'S that roam the earth , as a fan of the man i have never understood the hoopla that surrounds this part of THE ELVIS WORLD , to me they just are an embaressment many among many of them are just **** terrible and make one cringe at times . i can't believe that E.P.E. have even joined forces with them to now include a best of talent show of these guys, many have told me it is because of them that ELVIS memory is still alive after 32 years [uh what about the fans that have bin going to audoban drive and graceland since early 56, and all the fan clubs that were started by fans and continue to this day] so my question do we need em?

Getlo
01-17-2010, 01:08 PM
to me they just are an embaressment

You are correct. The stuff about "carrying on his memory" is crap. All one needs to do is play his music or watch his movies and concerts to do that. Every ETA is an utter embarrassment to his legacy, and thee concept does more harm than good.

i can't believe that E.P.E. have even joined forces with them to now include a best of talent show of these guys

It's all about money. And of course, EPE only sanctions those ETAs who suck up to the organisation.

Having the ETAs on the grounds of Graceland for that stupid competition was the worst thing I have ever seen in the Elvis world. :cursing:

so my question do we need em?

No, we do not.

They all suck, each and every one of the bloodsucking leeches.

LuckyJackson
01-17-2010, 04:15 PM
NO THEY ARE NOT NEEDED.....Elvis memory is kept alive by the legacy he left behind.
Agree that the ETAs are an embarrasment and have only damaged his image....dont get me started ....grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

TCBDavid
01-17-2010, 04:16 PM
I think your a little to fast to judge eta's im friends with several and they are the nicest guys u could ever hope to met, they know they aerent the king himself butthey are paying tribute to him. Not all of us where lucky enough to be able to see the man himself or even be alive when he was as im only 20, so a good quality tribute act such as shawn klush is as close as im ever going to get to recreating the magic of an original show.

So they do have a purpose and as thousands of people ever year prove going to to see them they are greatly appreciated.....

if you dont like them thats fine but dont assume that everyone has the same opinion most, not all but most of them do a great job of keeping his memory alive, theres only so much u can get from a cd or a record even a dvd. The tribute show is alot of fun

presley31
01-17-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't mind some of them at all and have some friends who are ETA's too. I just can't stand the ETA that think there are elvis or making fun of him in the worst outfits either.

molokai123
01-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I think your a little to fast to judge eta's im friends with several and they are the nicest guys u could ever hope to met, they know they aerent the king himself butthey are paying tribute to him. Not all of us where lucky enough to be able to see the man himself or even be alive when he was as im only 20, so a good quality tribute act such as shawn klush is as close as im ever going to get to recreating the magic of an original show.

So they do have a purpose and as thousands of people ever year prove going to to see them they are greatly appreciated.....

if you dont like them thats fine but dont assume that everyone has the same opinion most, not all but most of them do a great job of keeping his memory alive, theres only so much u can get from a cd or a record even a dvd. The tribute show is alot of fun

good point my friend. but gotta admit some of them are really horrible,but i give them credit for having the guts to go out and perform!

TCBDavid
01-17-2010, 05:21 PM
i can't deny there are some really bad ones...but some are great or on there way to being great, check out this chap he's a south wales (uk) eta thats only been doing it a couple of years and has won several awards
YouTube- Dean Mack Performs Hurt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JikJBaOaaEU)

monk37
01-17-2010, 06:22 PM
The problem with ETAs is the same media problem that Gay Pride Parades have

the media focuses on the extreme end - the ETAs that are children or 400+ pounds - like they focus on Drag Queens, Leather Lads and Dykes on Bikes over the thousands of gays and lesbians who are indistinguishable from anyone else on the street.

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - there's been Elvis impersonators since the 50's - it's just been since his death that so many are now able to make a living at it.

Roy Orbison expressed his wish that he would have impersonators like Elvis did to sort of carry on for him - as a means of not being forgotten.

(I met Sam Orbison, his brother, at a performance of The Show They Never Gave - with a Buddy Holly, an Orbison and an Elvis impersonator. And he told me that.)

I have a cousin who didn't like Elvis - largely because his mom was a major fan - but he came with me to a local rodeo and there was an Elvis impersonator - my cousin converted on the spot.

That same show, the Elvis guy was wearing a copy of the TTWII white fringed jumpsuit - and a dozen 12 year old girl guides went totally berserk and rushed the stage to rip at the fringes for a souvenir

So, the really good ones do re-create the atmosphere of an Elvis concert - and they do help feed the fandom and expand it.

Some ETA had devoted followings of their own

lvs2day
01-17-2010, 06:50 PM
i can't deny there are some really bad ones...but some are great or on there way to being great, check out this chap he's a south wales (uk) eta thats only been doing it a couple of years and has won several awards
YouTube- Dean Mack Performs Hurt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JikJBaOaaEU)

yep thanks but i;m an ELVIS fan and have bin for over 4o years , i saw him over 38 times and nothing can comare to him certainly not this clown that you have suggested, i do understand that young fans who havn't had the pleasure of seeing him perform don't know what it was like but believe me when i say it was nothing like this , nothing will ever compare with the original - the atmosphere and friendship convos that fans had before and after each show following him for a tour etc- think i'll stick with the real mc coy.

TCBDavid
01-17-2010, 07:23 PM
i saw him over 38 times and nothing can comare to him certainly not this clown that you have suggested

yes but as i have made perfectly clear theres no way i can re live the amazing event that would be an actual elvis concert..you have no idea how much i want to but its never going to happen.

As for this 'clown' he happens to be a personal friend of mine and i take offense to such a remark, he is an outstanding tribute artist he has won the best welsh elvis 09/10 and best gospel elvis 09/10 at one of europes largest elvis festivals.

So maybe you should let those of us who like a good tribute act enjoy it, and if you dont instead of slating them, just dont bother saying anything.

To quote a disney film thumper from bambie once said 'if you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all"

sasha
01-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Is there room for good ETA's ? You bet !

Many were not alive or were not able to see him in person.
Does that mean we should reject all that want to express their feelings for what he gave us? I'm not of the closed mind-set that I reject them all.
Once you've seen & experienced the real thing , it is hard to accept anyone else.
But,, does that mean the younger ones or ones that weren't lucky enough to experience what he gave us should be forbidden to show their love ?

Not to me. Let the ones go to see the ETA's that want to. I've seen a few.
Some are better than others. None compared .
To act so high & mighty that we reject them all, does more to stop the memory of Elvis than other things . The jealousy & high-mindedness of older fans hurts his legacy .

We'd do better trying to stop the media with all the BS printed about him.

debtdbruno
01-17-2010, 08:24 PM
In small doses they are okay...........so long as they remember they are not Elvis, and don't try to be

I don't agree with EPE having ETA contests at Graceland over Elvis week

sasha
01-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Do they try to be Elvis ? Or is that just our own interpretation ?
I saw Elvis in person & agree there wiill never be another .
At least, I've not seen one yet. ;)

I must say I didn't like EPE going along with having ETA's at Graceland either.
However, we must realize - Elvis has been gone over 30 years.
To most now, his name is a commodity , not a person.
Do I like it? Can't say I do.
But, this is the "real world." Promote him & his music or it will all die out.
Does anyone honestly believe that anyone in business will promote him or his music if they don't realize a profit from it ?
Would any of us be in a business that didn't ?

debtdbruno
01-17-2010, 09:07 PM
good points Sasha............

Jungleroom76
01-17-2010, 09:23 PM
I am also friends with several Elvis tribute artists and as long as they are portraying Elvis in a positive way, I certainly do not have a problem with them.

As others have said, since I am also too young to have ever seen Elvis live in concert, the tribute shows are really the only way I can ever experience the magic of an Elvis Presley show!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

Donut
01-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Of course they are not needed. What would Elvis or his fans need them for?

GIORGIA
01-17-2010, 11:12 PM
NO THEY ARE NOT NEEDED.....Elvis memory is kept alive by the legacy he left behind.
Agree that the ETAs are an embarrasment and have only damaged his image....dont get me started ....grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!I think the same thing!Elvis NOT needed this stuff!I mean,is Elvis!But when the people see money.................................

LuckyJackson
01-17-2010, 11:29 PM
I dont buy the arguement that its the nearest you can get to experiencing an Elvis concert - you can go see Elvis The Concert, thats the nearest you'll get.

Getlo
01-18-2010, 02:00 PM
I think your a little to fast to judge eta's im friends with several and they are the nicest guys u could ever hope to meet

So are Civil War re-enactors; but they too are unnecessary and quite embarrassing.

lvs2day
01-18-2010, 06:40 PM
The problem with ETAs is the same media problem that Gay Pride Parades have

the media focuses on the extreme end - the ETAs that are children or 400+ pounds - like they focus on Drag Queens, Leather Lads and Dykes on Bikes over the thousands of gays and lesbians who are indistinguishable from anyone else on the street.

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - there's been Elvis impersonators since the 50's - it's just been since his death that so many are now able to make a living at it.

Roy Orbison expressed his wish that he would have impersonators like Elvis did to sort of carry on for him - as a means of not being forgotten.

(I met Sam Orbison, his brother, at a performance of The Show They Never Gave - with a Buddy Holly, an Orbison and an Elvis impersonator. And he told me that.)

I have a cousin who didn't like Elvis - largely because his mom was a major fan - but he came with me to a local rodeo and there was an Elvis impersonator - my cousin converted on the spot.

That same show, the Elvis guy was wearing a copy of the TTWII white fringed jumpsuit - and a dozen 12 year old girl guides went totally berserk and rushed the stage to rip at the fringes for a souvenir

So, the really good ones do re-create the atmosphere of an Elvis concert - and they do help feed the fandom and expand it.

Some ETA had devoted followings of their own

if this is the best that wales has to offer than they are in trouble , this guy is just plain terrible. ELVIS PRESLEY was a hard act to follow and i just say i among many prefer the real thing they [the eta's] hang around the graceland mall in their jumpsuits looking for attention try talking like him etc , most of them have no knoledge of his great legacy of music , concerts etc they arn't even die hard collectors , so wheres the love here just for their selves i presume.

TCBDavid
01-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Of course they are not needed. What would Elvis or his fans need them for? ... have u actually read the thread? i think the argument why some people want them is clear

I think the same thing!Elvis NOT needed this stuff!I mean,is Elvis!But when the people see money................. the local eta's that i know spend thousands of pounds on jumpsuits, boots,wigs etc the PA system or instruments, speaking as someone in the know they spend a fortune to set themselves up and for many it can be well over a year possibly two before they even make there money back, its only the few who have made it big the more commercial eta's that make a great deal of money

you can go see Elvis The Concert, thats the nearest you'll get. i have seen elvis the concert twice and yes it is good but seeing it twice in 5 years hardly fills the quota eta's are entertaining thousands year after year

So are Civil War re-enactors; but they too are unnecessary and quite embarrassing. if your interested in the civil war then they arent, like most etas they to do it because they are passionate about something

and on an end note...elvis himself met an impersonator during his lifetime and according to joe esposito elvis thought the fact people wanted to copy him was flattering he once said to a guy back in the 70's im flattered that you want to base your act upon me just dont lose who you are...or something like that

so if elvis liked them, who are you guys to tell me or anyone else the arent need and they are all money grabbing clowns

TCBDavid
01-18-2010, 06:44 PM
[the eta's] hang around the graceland mall in their jumpsuits looking for attention try talking like him etc , most of them have no knoledge of his great legacy of music , concerts etc they arn't even die hard collectors , so wheres the love here just for their selves i presume.

the sound more like lame look a likes than eta's...none of the etas i know would dream of doing something liek that, most are die hard elvis fans,watching hours and hours of concert footage to perfect there act.

i admit there are some that dont and are a let down but all i really think your doing is being far to judgmental and essentially telling me and many others that we arent allowed to like what we like

lvs2day
01-18-2010, 07:07 PM
the sound more like lame look a likes than eta's...none of the etas i know would dream of doing something liek that, most are die hard elvis fans,watching hours and hours of concert footage to perfect there act.

i admit there are some that dont and are a let down but all i really think your doing is being far to judgmental and essentially telling me and many others that we arent allowed to like what we like

not in the slightest i'm not here to tell any fan what to do i simply asked are they needed i had a conversation with one from a group on an ELVIS cruise and he simply stated that they are the reason ELVIS memory is alive - i think that is pure b.s. - we the real fans who are devoted to ELVIS PRESLEY are the reason that his memory lives now and for many years to come through fan clubs that started in 56 through today and web sites like this that are started by fans what do etas have on their sites [yes exactly them selves] your choice is yours . but please don't tell me that i'm telling you what you can and can't do , as far as E.P. and impersonators i would go with the story that SANDI MILLER says in the behind the image book 1 , when an impersonator[guy who looked liked ELVIS] came to the gates of his home in los angeles and ELVIS came out to see the guy and really didn't know what to make of it - with over 50,0000 of them now i wonder what he would think/say- are they needed is the question?:hmm:

TCBDavid
01-18-2010, 07:14 PM
fair enough if thats what you think, i just ask one thing......notice the difference between an eta and an impersonator....eta's are the devoted to the act, guys that work hard to do it to the best of there ability. an impersonator is the kinda guy who would dress up and wander round pretending to be elvis with the occasional truly aweful attempt at a song, there the ones we sound be angry at not the guys performing a tribute

Sonny
01-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Take it easy here friends.

David made his point, and he is correct. Getlo you have given us a very clear opinion.

Keep it nice now everyone.

Donut
01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
... have u actually read the thread? i think the argument why some people want them is clear

Erm... yes I have, and I don't think we need them.

;)

sasha
01-18-2010, 07:39 PM
I think the difference here is in NEED VS. are they ACCEPTABLE ?

I don't guess anything is needed .{as to do without}
There are a few ETA's on this site. Ask them how they feel when
they're able to bring pleasure & a little happiness/fun to some
that really enjoy the time they give to others. Many do this for free .

I accept & appreciate the ones that do it for others to enjoy.
Do Elvis & his fans need them? I suppose not.
I have the feeling Elvis might appreciate the happiness they give others.

Take into consideration one more thing.Elvis fans from his time will
die out, sooner or later. We need someone to keep his music
alive if we want it to carry on through the next generations.
Most are well aware they're not Elvis & don't try to be.
Perhaps they just enjoy the music & love being able to bring a tiny bit to others.

TCBDavid
01-18-2010, 07:48 PM
thank you sasha....thats probably the smartest thing anyone including myself has said on this thread so far.

Being one of the next generation of fans i urge those who where lucky enough to be around to see him to consider what has just been said and then realise why someone like myself who was born 12 years after he died appreciates a good ETA

sasha
01-18-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm alwas seeing statements;
"what would Elvis do" or "what would Elvis think".
IMO, he'd welcome the new artists & wish them well.

He was well aware who made him what he was . His fans !
He also performed with other artists & didn't put them down.
So, I have to welcome the ones that want to keep him & his music alive .
Thanks to all of them !!

lvs2day
01-18-2010, 10:55 PM
I think the difference here is in NEED VS. are they ACCEPTABLE ?

I don't guess anything is needed .{as to do without}
There are a few ETA's on this site. Ask them how they feel when
they're able to bring pleasure & a little happiness/fun to some
that really enjoy the time they give to others. Many do this for free .

I accept & appreciate the ones that do it for others to enjoy.
Do Elvis & his fans need them? I suppose not.
I have the feeling Elvis might appreciate the happiness they give others.

Take into consideration one more thing.Elvis fans from his time will
die out, sooner or later. We need someone to keep his music
alive if we want it to carry on through the next generations.
Most are well aware they're not Elvis & don't try to be.
Perhaps they just enjoy the music & love being able to bring a tiny bit to others.

there are plenty of young fans who have started ELVIS clubs magazines , and have ELVIS fests , so his memory will also live on through their hard work as it was stared many years ago .

monk37
01-19-2010, 03:33 AM
if this is the best that wales has to offer ....

I don't live in Wales, I'm in Canada

the guy I am talking about was Randy Friskie

I have videos of him here:

http://www.youtube.com/nktrygg

http://www.youtube.com/nktrygg#p/u/34/lKaeSccYXYo

(this is is from TV)

these were shot on VHS or Video 8 in the early 90's and I recently transferred them to digital

Lisarose
01-19-2010, 04:59 AM
as far as E.P. and impersonators i would go with the story that SANDI MILLER says in the behind the image book 1 , when an impersonator[guy who looked liked ELVIS] came to the gates of his home in los angeles and ELVIS came out to see the guy and really didn't know what to make of it - with over 50,0000 of them now i wonder what he would think/say- are they needed is the question?:hmm:

Are they needed? No! Of course not, it's obvious that Elvis is what's keeping Elvis' image and music alive. I enjoy the ones I believe to be sincere, Elvis first encounter with an impersonator was in the 50's while he was performing in Texas with Scotty & Bill. There is belief that Elvis impersonators became more widespread while he was in the army, simply because his fans here in the states because he was so severly missed.

I would go see those ETA's that I know - like our own Tim, but if I go to Las Vegas I won't - as was suggested to me - make sure I go see an Elvis impersonator. I wasn't able to see Elvis live and in person, when he was alive - why the heck would I want to see an ETA now?:no:

sasha
01-19-2010, 05:25 AM
there are plenty of young fans who have started ELVIS clubs magazines , and have ELVIS fests , so his memory will also live on through their hard work as it was stared many years ago .

ALL Elvis fans are appreciated , I hope.
I think the ones some are thinking of are the ones that make fun of him .
And/or do crude immitations . Those we don't need !!

Unfortunately ,Elvis can do nothing about keeping his image & music alive.
I know many don't like Priscilla. But, IMO had she not kept his music & image out in the world,many would never have experienced it. Since EPE {Sillerman} has bought these rights; it's now up to him.

We don't have to like it. It's just a fact. None of us will be around forever.
It will be up to ones that love him & appreciate his music to pass it on.

Getlo
01-19-2010, 02:18 PM
i have seen elvis the concert twice and yes it is good but seeing it twice in 5 years hardly fills the quota eta's are entertaining thousands year after year

And just how do ETAs fill the quota of Elvis?

Only Elvis can fill the quota of Elvis!

Getlo
01-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Take into consideration one more thing.Elvis fans from his time will die out, sooner or later. We need someone to keep his musicalive if we want it to carry on through the next generations.

Yes.

By playing the man's music, watching his videos and educating future music students about his place in history.

Not by having some fools parading around in jumpsuits singing his songs.

kathy parkinson
01-19-2010, 06:00 PM
And just how do ETAs fill the quota of Elvis?

Only Elvis can fill the quota of Elvis! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

kathy parkinson
01-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Yes.

By playing the man's music, watching his videos and educating future music students about his place in history.

Not by having some fools parading around in jumpsuits singing his songs. (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

sasha
01-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Yes.

Not by having some fools parading around in jumpsuits singing his songs.

Not all people that sing Elvis' music wear the jumpsuits nor are they fools.
Can't you accept that many love him {just as much as you do} & want only
to give a little happiness back to others?
If you can't,then I'm sorry for you & many others that might never know him.

To love someone & share the goodness they brought to this world is much
greater IMO, than to keep it jeaously locked away .
He gave of himself freely. It might be a better world if we could follow
his example in caring about people.

I see that some like to argue about everything Elvis.
That does no good IMO & certainly doesn't help him in the least.
Even the people Elvis' age enjoy the music provided by others.
They can enjoy the times they lived in & the music never dies.

I think what I'm trying to say is: I think it does more good to immitate
all the things he did right; rather than dwell on the things some think he did wrong.
Have a great day everyone !!:D

KPM
01-19-2010, 08:14 PM
I do not think they are essential to keeping Elvis and his memory alive-many who are just not good give a false memory of Elvis because people come away thinking
"Thats how he sounded, thats how he moved, that was his sense of humor......."
I think in those cases it does more harm than it helps with the true memory of Elvis.
I have only met one in person and he is a nice guy, he does a lot of charity work for kids, and old folks homes-he stresses he is not Elvis but an imitator and all this is commendable-but he is just not good at it the actual performing. (but locals think he is very good)
His singing is fair on 50s Elvis, but his 60s and 70s is very weak and his moves are at times embarrassing.
I think over all the ETAs just put up a false image of all that Elvis was-most are more a "caricature" rather than an accurate portrait.

el gerry
01-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Ive been to Memphis Elvis week and these *****s walking around in their cheap tacky jumpsuits who make up less than one percent of the fans there are the ones the media film and talk to as if all the Elvis fans go round like this . They make Elvis fans look like sad freaks to the rest of the world . How is it furthering his name or legacy or memory walking around the streets in a jumpsuit and usually a very cheap tacky one , when the people that are there are Elvis fans . Do they need to be reminded . No they are just sad people who need attention . As for the support from EPA and hosting thet grotesqe spectical in Graceland they shoud hang their heads in shame .

yvonne
01-20-2010, 01:15 AM

You're right. We don't need them, Elvis's memory doesn't need them.
I really can't understand why there are fans who treat them almost like they are Elvis himself. The most of them are embarrassing. For Elvis but most of all for us, they give Elvis fans in general a bad name. Because of them we must explain over and over again that the majority of Elvis fans are not like them and that not all of us are walking around in handmade jumpsuites every day, all day.
They are NOT replacing Elvis. Never can be, never will be! NEVER!

TCBDavid
01-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Its clear to me a great may of you hate eta's and theres nothing i can say or do that will ever change your minds, but im curious what do you think of tribute artist for other musicians such as buddy holly, roy orbison, johnny cash, the beatles and other artists who are still actually around today . They don't carry the same stigma as eta's do but are they still pointless bottom feeders making a living of a dead celebrity???

sasha
01-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Ive been to Memphis Elvis week and these *****s walking around in their cheap tacky jumpsuits who make up less than one percent of the fans there are the ones the media film and talk to as if all the Elvis fans go round like this .[/B]
They make Elvis fans look like sad freaks to the rest of the world . How is it furthering his name or legacy or memory walking around the streets in a jumpsuit and usually a very cheap tacky one , when the people that are there are Elvis fans . Do they need to be reminded . No they are just sad people who need attention . As for the support from EPA and hosting thet grotesqe spectical in Graceland they shoud hang their heads in shame .

FYI: Those people are not ETA 's. ;)
Do you not like what's said about fans or Elvis?

I just correct their "impressions" & hold the media responsible.
Might help him a lot if we'd tell them what we think.

merry77
01-20-2010, 03:45 PM
and in years to come all these fantastic people will all have died. Are we going to put up 10 screens? (Elvis, JD, Charlie, who's next?)
That should make for a nice Elvis the concert. I could just stay at home and put in a dvd.

In another few decades people who saw the real Elvis shows will also have died. This process has already started: Rick Rennie etc.
Who is going to make sure to tell new people how Elvis was in concert?
The few official released videos?

I believe that a good ETA can do a fantastic job of trying to recreate how Elvis was live in concert.
Watching a dvd is not as much fun as seeing someone perform for real.
And this is what will bring Elvis into the next century.
Just listening to the 1000th rerelease of Hound dog doesn't cut it for me.

Yes there are some bad apples and media tends to focus on them. Therefore I think it's good what EPE is doing. They are focussing on the best. And thereby slowly trying to change the image of ETAs.

I dont buy the arguement that its the nearest you can get to experiencing an Elvis concert - you can go see Elvis The Concert, thats the nearest you'll get.

TCBDavid
01-20-2010, 04:25 PM
its nice to finally see some support for eta's i was beginning to think i was one of the only ones...i just dont understand how people who don't like eta's can't see why we do.

LuckyJackson
01-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Seems to me that fans of ETAs are not so much fans of Elvis Presley - to think that without the ETAs, Elvis would be forgotten......!!!!!

KPM
01-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Its clear to me a great may of you hate eta's and theres nothing i can say or do that will ever change your minds, but im curious what do you think of tribute artist for other musicians such as buddy holly, roy orbison, johnny cash, the beatles and other artists who are still actually around today . They don't carry the same stigma as eta's do but are they still pointless bottom feeders making a living of a dead celebrity???
I do not think ETAs are bottom feeders-I just do not think they are essential to his memory. I think many ETAs do have a great respect and love for Elvis and to do what they do is a form of sincere flattery.
I have not seen many ETAs in person-but unfortunately the ones I have seen did not do Elvis's memory much justice. My problem with it is too many people come away thinking what they saw was very close to Elvis the performer-and usually it is not. I saw a documentary on ETAs at a competition-and 90% of them were nothing like Elvis.
As far as other artists I have seen a Buddy Holly TA and he looked like him quite a bit-but that was where the resemblance ended.
I have seen tape of a Beatles tribute band called Rain and they were quite good, musically and visually in all aspects of the Beatles career.

Diane
01-20-2010, 11:13 PM
No I don't believe ETAs are needed....stress on the "needed". Elvis' great talent doesn't need anything to be remembered, to live on and to be enjoyed.

I do believe though that for people who have never seen him in person that a good ETA could bring them a tiny semblance of what Elvis was.....too bad all the bad ones couldn't be totally weeded out.

Diane

Junebug
01-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Answer: NO

My response is based on my own experience. As a fan, they have just never been a part of it. They had nothing to do with my initial interest and what drew me to Elvis nor do they have anything to do with the continuation of that interest.

That being said, it does not mean I dislike ETAs or their desire to participate in this type of activity.

Elvis ETAs just don't happen to be my thing.

I can agree with EPE's explanation of the Tribute Artist competition as a way to provide some type of framework around this and improve the quality of ETAs. EPE cannot stop people from paying tribute to Elvis and I think have done a very good job in elevating the standard for those who choose to do this. Overall, I think it has been a good business decision and has brought some much needed professionalism to this touchy subject. Again, I agree - but don't necessarily like it.

Also, what have I missed?

I did not know EPE had ETAs at Graceland. I know they are in Memphis for the Elvis Week competition and perhaps at the Plaza but did not know EPE had them on Graceland's grounds. Is this true or am I misreading the posts?

:king:

KPM
01-21-2010, 12:14 AM
No I don't believe ETAs are needed....stress on the "needed". Elvis' great talent doesn't need anything to be remembered, to live on and to be enjoyed.

I do believe though that for people who have never seen him in person that a good ETA could bring them a tiny semblance of what Elvis was.....too bad all the bad ones couldn't be totally weeded out.
Diane
I agree(y) if the cream of the crop of ETAs were all that were allowed to put on a tribute show that may not be so bad.

TCBDavid
01-21-2010, 01:17 AM
Seems to me that fans of ETAs are not so much fans of Elvis Presley - to think that without the ETAs, Elvis would be forgotten......!!!!!

i think your pushing it questioning how much we love elvis because we appreciate tribute artists, i dont like having my status of as a fan questioned just because i like something you dont.....how dare you!

beaustewart44
01-21-2010, 02:45 AM
!!!wow!!! ok well i perfome as a ETA and with a nother performe, who performes as patsy cline and we raise money for brest cancer and last year we rised $10.000.so like a lot of things is this world there will all ways be some bad apples,but i like to think were makeing pepole happy and rising money for a great cocern.

TCB

Elizasong
01-21-2010, 03:17 AM
Do they try to be Elvis ? Or is that just our own interpretation ?
I saw Elvis in person & agree there wiill never be another .
At least, I've not seen one yet. ;)

I must say I didn't like EPE going along with having ETA's at Graceland either.
However, we must realize - Elvis has been gone over 30 years.
To most now, his name is a commodity , not a person.
Do I like it? Can't say I do.
But, this is the "real world." Promote him & his music or it will all die out.
Does anyone honestly believe that anyone in business will promote him or his music if they don't realize a profit from it ?
Would any of us be in a business that didn't ?

I agree with you Sasha. I don't agree that EPE should have an ETA contest. I think EPE should stick to Elvis himselvis!!

Getlo
01-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Not all people that sing Elvis' music wear the jumpsuits nor are they fools.

ETAs do.

That's who we're talking about.

If they're not in a jumpsuit, they're not ETAs.

They're just singing Elvis songs.

And that should be enough for anyone.

sasha
01-21-2010, 03:57 PM
!!!wow!!! ok well i perfome as a ETA and with a nother performe, who performes as patsy cline and we raise money for brest cancer and last year we rised $10.000.so like a lot of things is this world there will all ways be some bad apples,but i like to think were makeing pepole happy and rising money for a great cocern.

TCB

Good for you & thank you !! (y)(y)(y)
Elvis & his memory can still do good things for people in this world !!

sasha
01-21-2010, 04:00 PM
ETAs do.

That's who we're talking about.

If they're not in a jumpsuit, they're not ETAs.

They're just singing Elvis songs.

And that should be enough for anyone.

I've seen many that use the term ETA dress in their own clothes.
I'm sorry you haven't.