Donut
01-08-2010, 04:48 PM
:lol:

(video) http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/34765056#34765056

On the King’s 75th birthday, his ex-wife ponders what might have been

By Mike Celizic
TODAYshow.com contributor
updated 10:11 a.m. ET Jan. 8, 2010
Elvis Aron Presley would have been 75 years old today, and his former wife has no doubt that if he were alive, he’d still be singing — and maybe doing a little preaching, too.

“I think Elvis would always be a part of music, no matter what,” Priscilla Presley told TODAY’s Matt Lauer Friday from the King’s Graceland home in Memphis. “It was in his blood. I don’t know if he’d be doing rock ’n’ roll right now; I think that maybe he’d be going into gospel. Maybe even preaching a little bit. He loved to teach and loved the Bible. He always would have been dedicated to his music, that’s for sure.

“He gave us so much, with his movies, with his concerts, with his touring,” Priscilla continued. “I can’t see him ever stopping that. That’s truly who he was. He was born to be the entertainer that he was. I can’t imagine life without him being larger than life. He lived a larger-than-life life.”

Graceland celebration
Some 3,000 people had purchased tickets to visit Graceland on Elvis’ birthday. Priscilla said that they would be treated to the opening of a yearlong birthday celebration and a number of exhibits created especially for this milestone.

The mansion itself is decorated for Christmas. Priscilla talked to Lauer from the living room, which is done all in white, including a white Christmas tree with red ornaments. Elvis used to leave the tree up until the day after his birthday, but now the holiday decorations are left up until the end of January.

Presley died in his bathroom in 1977 at the age of 42, the victim of addiction to prescription drugs. In the 33 years since, his legend has continued to grow.

Priscilla Presley spoke to TODAY live from Graceland, which is still decorated for Christmas. Elvis used to leave the Christmas tree up until his Jan. 8 birthday.
Priscilla met Elvis in 1959 when she was 14 years old. Her father was in the military and stationed in Germany, where Elvis had been assigned after being drafted into the Army. They married in 1967 and divorced in 1973. Despite the breakup of the marriage, which produced daughter Lisa Marie Presley, they remained on amicable terms and Priscilla eventually became executor of Elvis’ estate.

Priscilla was responsible for pouring money into Graceland and building the Elvis legend into the Elvis brand. As part of his yearlong 75th birthday celebration, Cirque du Soleil’s Las Vegas troupe is performing a “Viva Elvis” show.

The NBA Memphis Grizzlies are also getting into the act by wearing blue suede sneakers for one of their games, while Turner Classic Movies is chipping in with an Elvis movie marathon. At least two collections of all of Elvis’ recordings have also been released, including one by the Franklin Mint. There’s even an Elvis iPhone app.

Hold the phone
And speaking of phones: Elvis was a fan of the Sean Connery James Bond films, Priscilla said. He got particularly excited over a telephone that Bond could use from his car.

TODAY
An admirer of James Bond-style gadgetry, Elvis had an early-model mobile telephone.
“Elvis went nuts over this. He wanted to know if something like this was available,” Priscilla told Lauer.

She pointed to a suitcase-size carrying case behind her that contained one of the world’s first mobile phones. The case was labeled with the King’s name.

“Sure enough, he got the first one,” she said. “We traveled in a limo. People would be driving by and he’d be on the phone. There’d be second takes: ‘Is that a phone? Is that a phone?’ ”

His spirit lives on
But the phone is only one among many items in special exhibits at Graceland. Another exhibit contains 30 of his stage costumes, including the wide, gold-studded belts he wore around his jumpsuits.

TODAY
Elvis’s third-grade report card reveals he was a good student, although he struggled in arithmetic.

Another exhibit, “Tupelo to Memphis,” traces Elvis’ early years from childhood in Mississippi to stardom. Priscilla showed off a third-grade report card that showed Elvis earning E’s for “Excellent” in all his subjects except arithmetic and math, in which he got an S+ for “Superior Plus.”

“He was a really good student. Teachers really liked him,” Priscilla said. “Elvis was quite shy as a little boy.”

Although a generation has passed since Elvis left the planet, Priscilla spoke as if he were still there in Graceland. From where she sat in the living room, she could see the stairs leading to the second floor.

“I can visualize him coming down that staircase every time I come in,” Priscilla told Lauer. “His spirit is definitely here.”

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34765087/ns/today-today_entertainment/

EnigmaticSun
01-08-2010, 04:53 PM
All right.. if you can't come around, at least please telephone!

It's an interesting article. Still his birthday came to be a bit like the 4th of October, when animals are treated better. It's useless if you treat them well all year round.

SleepyJack
01-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Who is Priscilla Presley?:lol::lol::lol:

EnigmaticSun
01-08-2010, 05:10 PM

As I had suggested her new aerodynamic package is updated and has so little drag automotive constructors become jealous.

I'd like to keep her in mind as miss Spencer Drebin! :D

SleepyJack
01-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Man, I just know that some day,somewhere,someone is going to capture footage of her actually flyin` that bloody broom...pointy hat an` everything!

EnigmaticSun
01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Man, I just know that some day,somewhere,someone is going to capture footage of her actually flyin` that bloody broom...pointy hat an` everything!

The speed record is for her - she'd go through the air like a hot knife in butter.

annie1000
01-08-2010, 05:18 PM
:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Donut
01-08-2010, 05:20 PM

The Preacher's Wife :lol: Have you seen that film?

Junebug
01-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I saw Priscilla Presley on the TODAY Show this morning in honor of Elvis' 75th birthday.

It was a short and maybe a little rushed in parts clip - as it seems others in the past have been.

Priscilla did speak about the following with Matt Lauer:

- She felt Elvis would still be in music; most likely Gospel and perhaps even preaching due to his love of teaching and the bible
- He was a born entertainer and she could see him continuing his larger-than-life style of living
- She noted the events, celebrations, and year-long events planned for this birthday
- Matt asked what room she was in and she spoke of the living room and some of the other rooms
- She did speak of the 'Cell Phone' Elvis had and explained how he first saw it in a James Bond film and had to have it.
- Priscilla also shared with Matt and the audience a glimpse at Elvis' 3rd grade report card where he received mostly E's (excellent) in his subjects with the exception of Arithmetic (and maybe another) but that he was good but shy student.
- In response to Matt's question, Priscilla did relay that she still feels Elvis' spirit at Graceland and noted that she could still see him coming down the stairs.

The other information found in the MSNBC article was not part of this show.

:king:

Donut
01-08-2010, 05:26 PM
I saw Priscilla Presley on the TODAY Show this morning in honor of Elvis' 75th birthday.

It was a short and maybe a little rushed in parts clip - as it seems others in the past have been.

- She felt Elvis would still be in music; most likely Gospel and perhaps even preaching due to his love of teaching and the bible
- He was a born entertainer and she could see him continuing his larger-than-life style of living
- She noted the events, celebrations, and year-long events planned for this birthday
- Matt asked what room she was in and she spoke of the living room and some of the other rooms
- She did speak of the 'Cell Phone' Elvis had and explained how he first saw it in a James Bond film and had to have it.
- Priscilla also shared with Matt and the audience a glimpse at Elvis' 3rd grade report card where he received mostly E's (excellent) in his subjects with the exception of Arithmetic (and maybe another) but that he was good but shy student.
- In response to Matt's question, Priscilla did relay that she still feels Elvis' spirit at Graceland and noted that she could still see him coming down the stairs.

What information are you referring to, Junebug?

Tommy
01-08-2010, 05:32 PM

Thank you for the information, I recorded her on the Today program this morning.

I thought it was very nice, if it wasn't for Priscilla, where would we be now with Elvis and Graceland, it matters not to me, that she is his ex-wife, IMO she has done a beautiful job keeping Elvis in the front, and alive for us all. I say thanks to her. (y) I truly believe she has tried to do her best, and has achieved that goal. Graceland is as we know now a national treasure forever more. I really think she cares about Elvis.

Happy Birthday Elvis.(y)

Junebug
01-08-2010, 05:33 PM
What information are you referring to, Junebug?

What was not discussed on the TODAY Show I saw this morning.

I haven't seen the video from the internet which I'm sure is available now.

Oh, ....I see now your original post has been edited to include it.

Enjoy, Donut!

SleepyJack
01-08-2010, 05:35 PM
The Preacher's Wife :lol: Have you seen that film?

Can`t say I`ve seen the film..... think I might have read the leaflet though...rings a bell...somewhere.:hmm::hmm:

Tommy
01-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Maybe Elvis would be preaching, she only meant he did preach around his friends, this is a fact for sure. We all have heard the MM, and Priscilla talk about his readings, etc.

Donut
01-08-2010, 05:36 PM
What was not discussed on the TODAY Show I saw this morning.

I haven't seen the video from the internet which I'm sure is available now.

Oh, ....I see now your original post has been edited to include it.

Enjoy, Donut!

Thanks! Internet is a wonderful thing http://smiley.net.ru/emowin026.gif

Tommy
01-08-2010, 05:37 PM
I can't for the life of me understand why so many put Priscilla down. She did her best, we all are not perfect. Give her a break.

EnigmaticSun
01-08-2010, 05:37 PM
I thought it was very nice, if it wasn't for Priscilla, where would we be now with Elvis and Graceland?

She just rolled into making a lot of money and in my opinion doesn't deserve his family name.

Everyone's entitled to have an opinion, but.. I'd prefer many a lady singing the sound of music, ageing more gracefully. ;)

What's bitter to me.. she left him, awaited his death and took over his house and name.

annie1000
01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
She just rolled into making a lot of money and in my opinion doesn't deserve his family name.

Everyone's entitled to have an opinion, but.. I'd prefer many a lady singing the sound of music, ageing more gracefully. ;)

What's bitter to me.. she left him, awaited his death and took over his house and name.
(y)(y)(y)..................

Tommy
01-08-2010, 05:42 PM

Priscilla did this for her daughter. I don't believe she is that vindictive. She had more money than Elvis at his death.

Junebug
01-08-2010, 05:44 PM

IMO, An interesting take on life..........

Tommy
01-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Let's all celebrate Elvis's birthday, and not do this again.

EnigmaticSun
01-08-2010, 05:55 PM
She had more money than Elvis at his death.

It's too bad she couldn't prevent her daughter from having a lot of personal trouble.

Now don't take this too bitter or too hateful, but.. did she even gain more money after Elvis' death?

Of course I can't stop you from liking Priscilla. I can't agree with all her Elvisly activities, that's all.

kathy parkinson
01-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Let's all celebrate Elvis's birthday, and not do this again. It would be nice Tommy wouldn't it?. Somehow i don't think it will.

Donut
01-08-2010, 06:19 PM
If everyone were more tolerant and respected other members opinion this would not happen.

So, did anyone enjoy the clip and article? :hmm:

May
01-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Priscilla did this for her daughter. I don't believe she is that vindictive. She had more money than Elvis at his death.

did she? :supriced::doh:
where did her money come from ?

CRITTERGITTER
01-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I think she did a nice job. I never was a big fan, but I think her attitude is changing toward the fans, for the better. She seems more down to earth. Nice Interview. I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting it.

Sonny
01-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Enough about Priscilla, isn't there a Cilla.com somewhere to visit maybe?

It's Elvis' birthday friends.

This thread is closed.
And please do not come back any time soon with yet another Priscilla thread.

It's so old...