PDA

View Full Version : 15 Essential Elvis Items (and why his music has been put on the backburner)

Efan
12-23-2009, 06:29 PM
The gentleman who wrote this article was right on the money . Great read !

http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/blogs/15-essential-elvis-items-and

Efan:xmas:

Lonniebealestreet
12-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Man, I like this guy! He must be a TCB member. ;)

He definitely gets it. There need to be people of his ilk at EPE.

Give people some credit (@ EPE) and stop worrying about the fan base. The music speaks for itself. The way things are now you almost have to dig a little deep to find all the things that make being a fan so rewarding.

debtdbruno
12-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Fantastic article.................He definitely needs to apply for a new job at EPE

molokai123
12-23-2009, 07:48 PM
man that was a great article jeezz that guy hit it on the nose!!:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:not worthy:notworthy

Tommy
12-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Wow, excellent article, very intense!(y) Thank you.

Happy Holidays to you my friend Efan.:xmas::xmas:

Jungleroom76
12-23-2009, 08:29 PM
WOW!!! :jawdrop:

What an article!!!! As everyone else has said, he was pretty much right on the money with everything!!! I personally have contended all along that the album FROM ELVIS PRESLEY BOULEVARD was probably the closest thing we would ever get to an Elvis autobiography, and it's truly a remarkable look into what Elvis was thinking and how he was feeling at that point of his life.

It was also nice to see the PROMISED LAND album receive some recognition. While certain tracks of the album have received their share of attention, it's nice to see the album as a whole receive the appreciation I think it deserves! (y)

Thank you so much Efan for sharing this with us!!! :D

TCB!
Mike

kathy parkinson
12-23-2009, 09:07 PM
That was brilliant, spot on, i have most of those albums, great read, thank you.

Brian
12-23-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't agree with everything the guy says

I understand and actually agree with EPE decision to gloss over Elvis' career and image after Aloha.

The reason Cash's catalog is better managed is because Columbia didn't release every song he ever recorded on a million different compilations and actually were more selective it what they actually chose to release or reissue unlike RCA.
It's too late to do anything about that now.

I Walk the line was very overrated it was just a copy of the much better movie Ray

I think the Today album was better than both Promised Land and E.P. Boulevard

KPM
12-23-2009, 10:10 PM
I actually like a lot of what he says-but see that Elvis's situation is very different from JCs. Also JCs career may have a similar starting point to Elvis-but his career took a different road and JC was much more in control of it-than Elvis's was. JC was a very strong person-he conquered his weaknesses (with much difficulty) and he kept a firm hand on his direction afterward-Elvis was not that secure in himself.
JCs family have a wealth of material to work with-which they have a lot of sayso over.
JC thru his entire careerwas in the recording studio much much more than Elvis...... so there is untold of tracks which are totally new and unreleased.
Johnny spent time collaborating many artists and there is a wealth of unreleased things there.
Also the family has more power over the music-especially the last 15 years of JCs recordings in which JC had much ownership in the music.
They also have a wealth of filmed concerts, specials and his tv show-to mine for new performances to help promote JC-without overusing the same filmed material to fans and new fans.
For instance-they could just put out DVDs/CDs of JC singing songs with other artists from his 1970s show-and probably put out 3 or 4 DVDs with 10 to 12 duets already on film-without having to do it like the Elvis Christmas duets-digitally remixing separate performances-together.
I always seem to be defending EPE (and I do not relish doing so) but they just have little to no control over the music/and films-where as JCs family do not have much of that problem. Someone convince Sony to sell the recordings they own to EPE at a price they can afford-and if then EPE leaves the music on the backburner you can blame them-but IMO not until they own it.
Unreleased totally new material is the huge weapon JCs estate have-which Sony and EPE do not have.
I do not think EPE has glossed over Elvis the rebel and innovator-but they have to fight the image that has formed over the last 31 years-from a variety of sources and reasons. The Elvis Lives promotion was done well, and the ....before anyone did anything, Elvis did everything....promotion was good IMO.

Mr.TCB
12-24-2009, 01:29 AM
This guy's article is great! This guy really needs to do some research on other events of Elvis' life and write a book. There is a lot of writing out there about Elvis, but so far this guy can really word everything the best out of all of them, about the things he knows atleast. If you ask me, this guy could do his research and write a best selling Elvis book, I think. I hope he does write a book, I'll buy it.

Getlo
12-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Good article, but "He knew he was dying and that by this time there was nothing that could be done about it" about Unchained Melody is total crap, written with the benefit of hindsight.

rickb
12-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Brilliant article, including the EIC analysis

monk37
12-24-2009, 04:03 AM
best.Elvis.article.in.a.long.time

thanks for sharing it.