PDA

View Full Version : Completely Fiked?

Teddy
11-19-2009, 03:14 PM

There was a lot of talk this time last year about how Lamar had secured a distributor for his forthcoming book and possible movie. Another 12 months has passed and to the best of my knowledge there doesn't appear to be a scheduled release of any kind.

Does anybody know what is causing the delay? http://smiley.net.ru/misanm0169.gif

debtdbruno
11-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Dunno Teddy........

Brian
11-19-2009, 08:11 PM
It may come out some time next year, but it must be noted that Sheila Ryan finished writing a book about Elvis in late 2006 and did a couple of interviews promoting it only for it to never come out.
I think Sheila shopped the book around but no publisher was interested that's a shame because I would've liked to have read her book.
Their doesn't seem to be as big a market for Elvis books as there use to be because thousands of books have been written about him with a lot of the same information in the over and over again.
Lamar Fike might be having trouble finding a publisher as well because he pretty much said it all with his contributions to Revelations of the Memphis mafia and publishers might not be going for another book about Elvis by him.

debtdbruno
11-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Agree Brian, a book by Sheila would be good.........

monk37
11-20-2009, 07:56 AM
in development is where most movies die

Fike and Lacker spent a lot of time doing that join the Memphis Mafia, selling memberships in exchange for certificates

I thought that was kinda appalling - the idea that the 2 of them could bestow membership on you....

May
11-20-2009, 09:47 AM
I agree. Appalling, sad and very desperate.

Teddy
11-20-2009, 10:58 AM
But very appealing to men attracted to the concept of printing their own money, which is essentially what they were doing by peddling an infinite number of membership certificates.

http://ca-es.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=58614463089

KPM
11-20-2009, 09:08 PM
It may come out some time next year, but it must be noted that Sheila Ryan finished writing a book about Elvis in late 2006 and did a couple of interviews promoting it only for it to never come out.
I think Sheila shopped the book around but no publisher was interested that's a shame because I would've liked to have read her book.
Their doesn't seem to be as big a market for Elvis books as there use to be because thousands of books have been written about him with a lot of the same information in the over and over again.
Lamar Fike might be having trouble finding a publisher as well because he pretty much said it all with his contributions to Revelations of the Memphis mafia and publishers might not be going for another book about Elvis by him.
Well lets also not forget his contributions to the Goldman book-another feather in his cap so to speak.

monk37
11-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Fike also did his own solo book about Elvis and his time in Hollywood

It's funny how so many of the MM guys around Elvis had careers in movies or music - that they really would not have otherwise had.

I often wonder what they were actually qualified to do

I mean, how do you put - Elvis' lackey on your resume?

debtdbruno
11-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Fike also did his own solo book about Elvis and his time in Hollywood

It's funny how so many of the MM guys around Elvis had careers in movies or music - that they really would not have otherwise had.

I mean, how do you put - Elvis' lackey on your resume?

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

T_J
11-23-2009, 02:02 AM
Does anybody know what is causing the delay? http://smiley.net.ru/misanm0169.gif

Maybe there was an outbreak of good taste :)

Getlo
11-23-2009, 01:14 PM

Interesting.

And what was Elvis qualified to do?

May
11-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Maybe put it a different way then. What talents did the MM have!?

monk37
11-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Interesting.

Elvis was a talented performer who honed his stage craft in clubs across the southern states

He should have taken acting lessons or gotten a coach - but few would complain about his box office.

as for the MM guys - only Charlie Hodge seemed to have had a career prior to hooking up with Elvis.

The others seemed along for the ride, filling in whatever was needed and breaking out into entertainment industry careers as networking in the industry due to their Elvis association allowed them.

I don't think any of them went to school to learn about music or film production - which several have worked in.

so, without Elvis - where would they have been - in Hollywood or Nashville? not likely.

Brian
11-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Elvis was a talented performer who honed his stage craft in clubs across the southern states

He should have taken acting lessons or gotten a coach - but few would complain about his box office.

as for the MM guys - only Charlie Hodge seemed to have had a career prior to hooking up with Elvis.

The others seemed along for the ride, filling in whatever was needed and breaking out into entertainment industry careers as networking in the industry due to their Elvis association allowed them.

Do you know how hard it is to get work in the entertainment industry?
Unless you know someone or get discovered by someone with connections then it's impossible to get steady work in the business.
Elvis was there connection to show business.
I believe Charlie Hodge got his job singing because he was lucky enough to have met country singer Red Foley so he helped Hodge.
Charlie Hodge didn't get work by himself.

May
11-24-2009, 02:23 PM

I don't think any of them went to school to learn about music or film production - which several have worked in.

so, without Elvis - where would they have been - in Hollywood or Nashville? not likely.

Exactly. (y)(y)(y) Wonder where Priscilla would be without Elvis too? Hollywood????:hmm::blink:

Getlo
11-24-2009, 02:23 PM

A talent, yes, but not a qualification of any sort.

Two words for ya: Joe Esposito.

The others seemed along for the ride

I hardly think Sonny and Red meeting Elvis at school - with Red saving him from bullies - is going along for a ride.

And what, you would've said "No thanks, Elvis. I know you're my buddy and all but I think I'd rather go out and dig ditches or get other qualifications and have my own life"?

Please. You'd have been in like a shot. None of the MM can be faulted for that choice.

Nor did Elvis. A moot point.

You can't possibly know that. They each have talents and abilities in their own right, something a lot of fans tend to, shall we say, overlook for convenience sake.

May
11-24-2009, 02:27 PM
so what are these talents the MM have? I know Red West has written songs and acted. George K was a DJ, I don't know about the others, such as Marty, Sonny, Dave, Billy, GeeGee.

What did Joe do before meeting Elvis? I don't know.

tlcElvis
11-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Interesting.

Be the world's best entertainer.

KPM
11-24-2009, 05:08 PM
When it comes to the talents of the MM-I have always said it was a mistake to have friends as employees regardless of individual talent-Elvis should have hired people outside his friends if he needed, road managers, or bodyguards but he felt he needed people he could trust.
But as far as the individuals and their talents I think its fair to say that when it comes to entertainment industry related talents, such as acting, road manager, publishing industry, promotions, producing etc.....most of these guys would have got nowhere without their initial connections to Elvis.
I pointed out in another thread that Red West is a talented songwriter-but he probably never would have explored that-if Elvis had asked him to work for him fulltime.
I would also say some like Red-are much more self sufficient than others.

debtdbruno
11-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Be the world's best entertainer.

We all agree with that(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Brian
11-24-2009, 09:31 PM
so what are these talents the MM have? I know Red West has written songs and acted. George K was a DJ, I don't know about the others, such as Marty, Sonny, Dave, Billy, GeeGee.

What did Joe do before meeting Elvis? I don't know.

I think Joe Esposito worked for Coca Cola before Elvis.

Billy Smith is a foreman for the railroad.

Marty Lacker was in the army and worked as a DJ before Elvis and then ran Pepper records and helped run American Studios with Chips Moman after he left Elvis' employ.

Dave Hebler is an extremely skilled Martial artist

After Alan Fortas left the group he became a banker.

Sam Thompson is a retired judge.

Sonny West was an appliance salesman before Elvis

I'm not sure about Gee Gee

KPM
11-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Speaking of people who in one way or another still make income from Elvis comedian Sammy Shore has out a new book-The Man Who Made Elvis Laugh.
http://www.elvislaugh.com/

rickb
11-24-2009, 11:19 PM
I would prefer to read a book by Sheila Ryan than another one from Lamar Fike

Brian
11-25-2009, 02:18 AM
I would prefer to read a book by Sheila Ryan than another one from Lamar Fike

I would too Rick

It's strange Sheila did a couple of interviews for her book then just disappeared and we haven't heard from her since.

I wonder if Alanna Nash did some new interviews with her for the book Baby lets play house:hmm:

Teddy
06-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Can we assume that Lamar's current battle with cancer has contributed to the stalling of his book/movie projects?

TCB81975
06-03-2010, 11:54 PM

Well said Brian. Between "Revelations" and "EWH?", the two of those pretty much encompassed the "Memphis Mafia" story or standpoint should I say. Thats just my opinion. I think the others kind of sugar coated alot of stuff. From what I could tell, the new Fike book wasnt soley about his time with Elvis either. It was supposed to be about his career in music as a whole. I guess we'll see......

monk37
06-04-2010, 07:12 AM
I;m sure I've seen his book in stores - is he doing another one?

nolvis
06-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Well besides being the worlds greatest and most dynamic entertainer ever and working himself to
complete exhaustion touring all over the USA going from one town to the next in a break neck schedule starting out!
Uniquely soaking all of what he saw and heard and melding it into all his very own mercurial rockin' rollin'
explosive Elvis Aron Presley own trademark style while taking all of the abuse that he took from people all at the same
time!

And just in case things didn't work out for him in music, well he wasn't just sitting on his butt doing nothing,
he graduated from high school,took ROTC while in school,had all of those odd jobs that he got and worked hard to
be an electrician(delivery driver included) but fortunately for us he got wired the wrong,er,ah,the right way!!!!!!!!!!
And as far as acting,well he proved what a fine actor he was in great parts like King Creole and Wild in the Country
and every single movie that he made he had that natural and wonderful charm that only he had where he made every single film
bring a smile to your face and joy and excitement into your heart!!!!!!!!!! Muhammad Ali's favorite movies are Elvis' movies
because they do a wonderful thing and that is,they make you feel good and that ain't bad!!!!!

monk37
06-05-2010, 04:47 AM
Elvis was qualified to be an entertainer, he had the talent, the ambition and he succeeded on his own merits.