PDA

View Full Version : The Jd Low Notes

jbgude
04-25-2004, 08:51 PM
For a number of years I had a feeling that low notes that JD "holds" especially while doing his "bomber routine" at the end I got a women/Amen on some concerts was not entirely genuine:but I could not figure out why or how.

Recently, I came across a Concert where Elvis specially mentions this and explained how it is/was done: a trombone ( for those who do not know it is a musical instrument like like the trumpet etc )-

Given this clue -can anyone figure out in which concerts w the trombone was used to extend the "low note" routines ?

jb

rod
04-25-2004, 09:05 PM
hi jbgude

i never cared for that bomber routine :bash: and i always skip that part of the cd if i have non elvis fans listening.
i think it must have been better see then to hear.

Albert
04-26-2004, 09:29 AM
I can remember being a young boy and listened to the "In Concert" LP for the first time. That ending of "Amen" where JD shows of his lownotes stunned me! I couldn't get anough of that.

So when I first heard the "Recorded In Memphis" LP was also the first time I heard "Why Me Lord". And again, I just loved those horrible low note from JD. I've always been fascinated with extreme high and low voices (one of the main reasons I love the old gospelmusic as a non-relgious person).

So with every concert that I listen I really dig that last part of "Amen" :D. And if you compare those endings with the singing and talking of JD, and even the ending of "Rock My Soul" on On Tour, I believe there's no reason to doubt that those unbelievable low notes are really JD.

Scatter
04-26-2004, 02:19 PM
On some of the soundboards you can hear JD 'jump' a bit on the low notes, at the end of "I Got A Woman". It's not always consistant.

And of course the most famous low note had to be on "Way Down". I love the ending of that one! Definitely JD and not faked.

I think it was probably Elvis joking about the use of a trombone.

jbgude
04-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Scatter Wrote:
I think it was probably Elvis joking about the use of a trombone

I am not sure if it is "Live in Memphis" or "Dinner at 8" / "Impossible dream" - Ill have to get home and play them .....but after a few seconds of JD "holding" the low note , you can hear a "vibrating " sound, at least I can and I am fairly certain that it was indeed a trombone ....

If you listen to Elvis when he mentioned that trick - he was not joking, just was in a "revelatory" mood at that time.

jb

Sonny
04-27-2004, 06:41 PM
No, I don't think Elvis was joking...

As I remember correctly Elvis talks about this on the Desert Storm cd.

They had JD and another singer (can't remember the name just now) and the trombone guy.

When the singers missed the note, the trombone guy took over...

Sonny

KPM
10-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Ive got the Desert Storm cd and find no mention of trombones or low notes. The vibration you can hear is just he because his mike is turned up loud enough so that the you can hear the note this rattles the speakers and anything else not tied down . Low does not always mean loud, so the mike had to be turned up.
(along time ago I was in a quartet and the bass singer had to be turned up as high as we could get it to catch all his notes-he could go low but not with much power.

THENATUREBOY
10-21-2005, 05:58 AM
Ive always wondered myself if JD's notes were aided. If I was guessing I would say that I think it would be impossible for a person to hold a note as long as some of the ones Ive heard in the Elvis shows. But I dont second guess JD's ability to actually go that low. Just listen to the man talk. :blink:

RS277
10-21-2005, 06:28 AM
What you hear is JD, no instruments. When you hear JD's voice go in and out, it's because he's bottoming out on the scales. It's also true, deep is not loud. When you hear rumbling or vibrations, it's all bass.

It's also known Elvis admired and wanted to be a bass singer. At one point, JD Sumner & The Stamps had two bass singer's. JD and Richard Sterban who later became the bass singer for the Oak Ridge Boy's. :cool:

Albert
10-21-2005, 08:46 AM
For a number of years I had a feeling that low notes that JD "holds" especially while doing his "bomber routine" at the end I got a women/Amen on some concerts was not entirely genuine:but I could not figure out why or how.

Recently, I came across a Concert where Elvis specially mentions this and explained how it is/was done: a trombone ( for those who do not know it is a musical instrument like like the trumpet etc )-

Given this clue -can anyone figure out in which concerts w the trombone was used to extend the "low note" routines ?

jb

You'd think that it was (semi) fake, but JD Sumner did quite some performances on the famous Bill Gaither Homecoming shows. There you can easily hear/see that those amazing low notes are actually real. I also had my doubts sometimes when hearing those famous JD endings on Elvis shows, until I saw/heard it myself.

Elvis was in total awe while listening to bass singers. He just couldn't believe people could sing so low. Elvis 'revelation' must have been a tease, because overdubbing a human voice with a trombone during a 70s liveshow, without clearly hearing it, is simply out of the question. Remember that both JD and the trombone guy (part of the orchestra?) must have had a seperate microfoon, thus must have had a seperate entrance in the mixingtable.

No, If this would have been done in a studiorecording, I would have agreed, but I can believe that they would mix a trombone (without hearing it clearly on so many available liverecordings on CD).

jbgude
10-21-2005, 08:59 PM
I do not doubt JDs ability to reach those low notes: he really does hit those notes- but holding it for as long is different.

I had the opportunity to listen to a couple of Elvis CDs through professional studio equipment and the best head phones there is : and I am sure JDs was helped a bit -a couple of seconds 3 maybe 4 and he takes over again in the climb up ...

I am not a great concert music fan - so I will need to pull out the CDs again: I think it is the " Live in Memphis" and one other for sure. Shall relet you guys know (my opinion) for sure.

KPM
10-21-2005, 11:04 PM
He may have taken a quick breathe to begin the climb back up. I've listened to
and his bass back up for Elvis on numerous recordings and at times he does do a poor job of his descent down occasionally (sometimes purposely, so Elvis will ask for the note again)but there is a huge difference in doing it badly and having it mixed with a trombone somehow to help him on the note. How would you know when he needs help, If you were the trombonest when would you know to come in, if only when he needed help. I saw Elvis in 76 and no trombonest or any other musician was playing during that slide down the scale. When singing low you do not use the breathe you would if you were singing full voice as loud as you can, so you conserve the air and can hold the note easily longer. His control at times was off and he would make a broken descent down the scale where for a split second he would break from the note. He had sung for over 60 years at the time of his death and you learn alot in 60 years.

Geert
10-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Isn't it true that JD holds or once held the record for lowest bass singer in the world in the Guinness Book Of Records? Heard it once from somebody.
I also think that there isn't a trombone backing up JD. I don't believe that somebody can mix the trombone and JD's voice every concert again in such a way that you cant hear that there's a trombone backing JD up. I agree that it can be done on the studio recordings.

Albert
10-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Guinness Book Of World Records
In 1983, the Guinness Book Of World Records recognized Sumner?s 1966 solo recording of the hymn ?Blessed Assurance? According to Guinness, the song contained the lowest recorded note ever produced by a human voice, a ?double low? C. The recording was re-issued in 1984 as part of Sumner?s solo project Thank God For Kids and again in 1999 posthumously on The Wait Is Over.

Source (http://www.musicscribe.com/2005_01_01_musicscribe_archive.html)

KPM
10-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Elvis would often say when he asked for a better last low note that " he is the worlds lowest bass singer"

TigerMan
10-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Any chance that any of you guys have this song “Blessed Assurance” with JD?

Like to hear it!
If so, please mail it to me at: tigermansftp@telia.com

TigerMan