PDA

View Full Version : FTD Burnout

Ematt
11-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi.......I wonder how the FTD`s are selling these days? I know this year i have`nt bought one yet, though untill last Christmas i was almost up to date.

I`m starting to find the live stuff too samey and the price is`nt great. Anyone else find they are running out of steam with this series?

Raised on Rock
11-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Well I'm still really looking forward for some original Presley albums to be released on the Classic Albums series, with full sessions included, to me, that still makes it worth for another 5 years. Some clever book + Cd projects also can still buy some extra time. But yes, they cannot last forever, there will be a time when there would be anything else to release.

elvisville
11-01-2009, 08:39 PM
no more live soundboards, it's getting difficult to tell one from the other, and Elvis doesn't sound to great on alot of them.

debtdbruno
11-01-2009, 10:11 PM
I tend to buy the studio cd's more, I pick and choose with the live stuff.
Can't abide the drum/guitar solo slots on the later live shows!!!!

rickb
11-01-2009, 11:34 PM
I find the special editions in the calssic album series a bit like the old RCA days - 90 per cent re-released stuff and a few alternative takes to make the fans buy them.
Still I try to buy what i can and realise the well is running dry

Jungleroom76
11-01-2009, 11:57 PM
I think most fans have really begun to pick and choose which releases they purchase from the FTD label. When the label began, their plan was to issue a release about every 3 months and if they had stuck to that, most fans would probably have collected all (or most) of them. But then when FTD branched off into the book/CD combos and the CLASSIC ALBUM reissues, it really saturated the FTD market to the point where most fans had to really choose which CD's they were going to purchase, especially at $30 (or more) a piece. :hmm:

Not that I am complaining about all of the releases, especially with all of the outtakes that have surfaced on them, but perhaps FTD would have been wiser to slow down on the releases and stick to the 4 titles per year goal that they had originally set and perhaps enhance that with a special release ot two per year. I think fans would have a much easier time keeping up with 6 releases per year instead of 3 or 4 releases every 3 months. Plus, by spreading out the releases more, it would allow the FTD label to exist for a longer period of time.

One thing that I do find annoying on the part of FTD is the fact that they release the book/CD combos, and then when they decide to delete the combos, they come back and re-release the CD's by themselves (THE WAY IT WAS & ROCKIN' ACROSS TEXAS). Honestly, I would have to imagine that most of the fans that wanted that music purchased the initial book/CD combos to begin with. I wonder just how much of a demand there really is for these CD's to be re-issued by themselves once the books go out of print?? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

debtdbruno
11-02-2009, 12:01 AM
great points Mike

Deb

Jungleroom76
11-02-2009, 12:27 AM
great points Mike

Deb

Thanks Deb!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Brian
11-02-2009, 02:23 AM
I think most fans have really begun to pick and choose which releases they purchase from the FTD label. When the label began, their plan was to issue a release about every 3 months and if they had stuck to that, most fans would probably have collected all (or most) of them. But then when FTD branched off into the book/CD combos and the CLASSIC ALBUM reissues, it really saturated the FTD market to the point where most fans had to really choose which CD's they were going to purchase, especially at $30 (or more) a piece. :hmm:

Not that I am complaining about all of the releases, especially with all of the outtakes that have surfaced on them, but perhaps FTD would have been wiser to slow down on the releases and stick to the 4 titles per year goal that they had originally set and perhaps enhance that with a special release ot two per year. I think fans would have a much easier time keeping up with 6 releases per year instead of 3 or 4 releases every 3 months. Plus, by spreading out the releases more, it would allow the FTD label to exist for a longer period of time.

One thing that I do find annoying on the part of FTD is the fact that they release the book/CD combos, and then when they decide to delete the combos, they come back and re-release the CD's by themselves (THE WAY IT WAS & ROCKIN' ACROSS TEXAS). Honestly, I would have to imagine that most of the fans that wanted that music purchased the initial book/CD combos to begin with. I wonder just how much of a demand there really is for these CD's to be re-issued by themselves once the books go out of print?? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

In my opinion FTD is too expensive it's just other way to sell products to the die hard fanbase who will buy almost anything Elvis.
Unfair price gouching is what it is.

Jungleroom76
11-02-2009, 03:41 AM
In my opinion FTD is too expensive it's just other way to sell products to the die hard fanbase who will buy almost anything Elvis.
Unfair price gouching is what it is.

Well I certainly can't argue that the FTD CD's are pricey...but it's just like anything else...if you want to buy it, you can buy it and if you don't, then you don't.

Personally, I am quite happy with the FTD CD's overall....there are some that are clearly better than others, but considering Elvis hasn't recorded a new song in over 32 years, it's the closest thing that us Elvis fans have to a new recording by Elvis!!! :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

debtdbruno
11-02-2009, 10:11 AM
More great points Mike.............LOL

Jungleroom76
11-02-2009, 05:24 PM
More great points Mike.............LOL

Thanks again Deb!!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

dennyelvis
11-03-2009, 12:21 PM
For the fans only ! .... do we all think this is still the right way to go, perhaps releasing these as download albums or in HMV would reduce pricing, ur opinions ?

Getlo
11-03-2009, 12:41 PM
no more live soundboards.

Agreed.

As much as I am a concert fan, lately they've been one big yawn ...

jak
11-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Agreed.

As much as I am a concert fan, lately they've been one big yawn ...

Same here.It's just the overload of material.I think Im even getting tired of the TTWII material.After a while they are starting to sound the same.The next release of the New Haven show will be the same way.We need a good tour show to turn up.A change of pace from Vegas or a 76 soundboard.

debtdbruno
11-03-2009, 07:01 PM
For the fans only ! .... do we all think this is still the right way to go, perhaps releasing these as download albums or in HMV would reduce pricing, ur opinions ?

Maybe for younger generations..........not for me, I prefer to have something in my hand . Sorry, sounds provocative that....LOL

Deb

KPM
11-03-2009, 10:11 PM
I must confess I have never bought an FTD release-I know some of them are very great albums and one of these days I'll have to order one.

debtdbruno
11-03-2009, 10:57 PM
you're missing out Ken...........

U.S. Male
11-04-2009, 09:47 PM
no more live soundboards, it's getting difficult to tell one from the other

As much as I enjoy the "live" material, I have to agree with this.(y)

However, a "good quality" live show recorded from the soundboard from say Lake Tahoe 1971 or perhaps July 1975 might be a good thing, since he was in good form on these performances.

However, I'd wish they'd lighten up on the August 74 and summer 1976 material, I think there's more than enough of it out there imo.

elvisville
11-04-2009, 11:15 PM
I don't think they could release a live performance now that is going to blow us away, to me they really are just starting to all sound the same , whereas unheard studio performances at least sound great in sound quality and are still worth purchasing for just that.

Jungleroom76
11-04-2009, 11:54 PM
As much as I enjoy the "live" material, I have to agree with this.(y)

However, a "good quality" live show recorded from the soundboard from say Lake Tahoe 1971 or perhaps July 1975 might be a good thing, since he was in good form on these performances.

However, I'd wish they'd lighten up on the August 74 and summer 1976 material, I think there's more than enough of it out there imo.

I agree completely!!! The original plan was to release a live recording that represented each concert tour, but instead we've gotten multiple shows from the TTWII engagement, '69 Vegas comeback, '75 spring tours, '74 Vegas engagement and summer '76 tours. Perhaps it's time FTD focused on the remaining tours that have yet to be covered instead of releasing ANOTHER '76 summer tour show?? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Trev1
11-05-2009, 12:10 AM
I find the FTD releases very pricey indeed. I did buy some of them while I was
at Graceland and they are well done but the price is ripping off the fans

monk37
11-05-2009, 06:53 AM
I think they need to stop with the soundboards and focus on hard core collector stuff

release the Sun project already

do a set of all the Madison Square Garden shows - add a book with documents, pictures of the event - include the press conference on a dvd.

do a set of the Astrodome shows with a detailed book