PDA

View Full Version : Glaucoma

debtdbruno
10-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Does anyone know if there was any glaucoma in Elvis' family?

Is it hereditory, and how come he started with it so young?

Joyce Bova tells of him having injections in his eye in front of her, is this something related to the glaucoma, or something else?

Thanks, Deb

GIORGIA
10-22-2009, 08:07 PM
My friend Deb,I think that is releted of his glaucoma.
But I don't know if there was any glaucoma in Elvis's family and is if yes,if is hereditory,but he started to have the glaucoma in young age?
I know that is was from 1972.

debtdbruno
10-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks Georgia..........I thought he started in '70' ish???
I've heard it can be hereditory, but there are different sorts of glaucoma.

It mostly runs through the male side of the family, but not heard if Venon, Vester etc....had problems.

GIORGIA
10-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks Georgia
I've heard it can be hereditory, but there are different sorts of glaucoma.

It mostly runs through the male side of the family, but not heard if Venon, Vester etc....had problems.
It's My Pleasure Deb!
Sorry,but I don't heard that it can be hereditory and I not heard too that Vernon,Vester had these problems,but maybe Vernon,Vester have these problems but it's never told in public or in any books.
The only problem that i heard,read of Vernon it's the problem back,in the Last Train For Memphis.

P.s I know that is nothing to do with this thread but, My Name is with the I not E.

GIORGIA
10-22-2009, 09:33 PM
I thought he started in '70' ish???

Yes,I thougnt this,because I never read or heard that Elvis have problems of his eye,glaucoma, before of 1972.

debtdbruno
10-22-2009, 09:38 PM
sorry for the mis-spelling...LOL

GIORGIA
10-22-2009, 10:08 PM
sorry for the mis-spelling...LOL
Don't worry my friend,can happen.
:hug:

May
10-23-2009, 10:35 AM
there are different types of glaucoma but basically its the same disease. It is hereditory and the majority of people dont have symptoms until its too late.

In simple terms, there is a 'liquid' behind the eye which keeps the eyeball in place. there are two 'compartments' where the liquid is and a tube in which the liquid travels between one compartment and the other. If there is more liquid in one compartment then its known as the pressure building up.

this then leans on the optic nerve at the back of the eye and damages it. Gradually you become blind if not treated.

People have drops to treat glaucoma and surgery if drops dont work. a lot of people think its just older people who get it. Its not.

debtdbruno
10-23-2009, 08:24 PM
WOW.......very knowledgable post there May.

So, the injections that he made Joyce witness....was that anything to do with glaucoma do you think?

May
10-23-2009, 08:32 PM
I have to say, Ive never heard of injections into the eyeballs themselves. But maybe thats a kind of treatment they had years ago. These days its all drops and trabeculectomies!!!! (dont I sound posh!!:lol:), which is basically, surgery.

I had the surgery on my eyes. I did have a needle in one of my eyeballs, although not for any treatment but to get a stitch out. After the operation, the stitches are usually dissolvable. One wasnt. So they had to take it out manually. they put drops in to numb the eyeball but its very off putting seeing a sharp instrument coming towards your eye!! (n)

debtdbruno
10-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Ouch...........sound painful!!!!

Was your surgery about glaucoma, detatched retina, cataracts? etc...

May
10-23-2009, 08:45 PM
didnt feel pain, just felt a kind of pressure. Like someone poking you gently in the eye with their finger. Not pleasant, but not painful,.. probably looked worse.

Glaucoma operation.

SleepyJack
10-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I have to say, Ive never heard of injections into the eyeballs themselves. But maybe thats a kind of treatment they had years ago. These days its all drops and trabeculectomies!!!! (dont I sound posh!!:lol:), which is basically, surgery.

I had the surgery on my eyes. I did have a needle in one of my eyeballs, although not for any treatment but to get a stitch out. After the operation, the stitches are usually dissolvable. One wasnt. So they had to take it out manually. they put drops in to numb the eyeball but its very off putting seeing a sharp instrument coming towards your eye!! (n)

I meant to reply to this earlier...but I think I must have passed-out after reading that!!!:blink::blink:
My dad has suffered from glaucoma....so that leaves me in danger of getting it too.... oh boy,another worry on the list!

May
10-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Well neither my mum or dad had it. My grandfather did though. so it doesnt necessarily follow that you will have it.

what you have to do is tell the optician that it runs in your family and you get a free eye test (in the UK anyway). Most of them will say you dont need to worry until you are over 40. thats what they said to me. I was 16 and I had it.

debtdbruno
10-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Good grief, that's very young May..........

GIORGIA
10-23-2009, 10:18 PM

Oh My God,
I'm so sorry for this sweetie friend May:'(,
but now you are rignt with your eye?

May
10-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Yes, its pretty young. I probably had it since I was born, it was only by chance that my mum said I had to be checked out. The doctors said she neednt worry as I was young, but she insisted (mothers are always right!!!)

I still have drops in one eye. The second surgeon didnt do such a great job as the first one!

GIORGIA
10-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Yes, its pretty young. I probably had it since I was born, it was only by chance that my mum said I had to be checked out. The doctors said she neednt worry as I was young, but she insisted (mothers are always right!!!)

I still have drops in one eye. The second surgeon didnt do such a great job as the first one!
May,i'm so sorry for this:'(.
I give you my support:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

May
10-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Grazie Giorgia :hug: but Im ok. Have to go to hospital twice a year to check pressure, but fingers crossed no more operations. (y)

GIORGIA
10-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Grazie Giorgia :hug: but Im ok. Have to go to hospital twice a year to check pressure, but fingers crossed no more operations. (y)
:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

May
10-23-2009, 10:43 PM
One last little thing, I did have some laser treatment too, and that WAS painful! Yuk!

GIORGIA
10-23-2009, 10:47 PM
One last little thing, I did have some laser treatment too, and that WAS painful! Yuk!
I'm so sorry dear friend:'(.

May
10-23-2009, 10:48 PM
To look on the positive side though, thank goodness it was found early!!(y)(y)

I have just found this on the internet.

Elvis was admitted to Baptist Memorial Hospital in March 1970 for an eye infection and was found to have glaucoma in his left eye.

Who knows if its true, but if its to be believed, he only had it in one eye.

GIORGIA
10-23-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm happy for you,for this.

GIORGIA
10-23-2009, 10:54 PM

Elvis was admitted to Baptist Memorial Hospital in March 1970 for an eye infection and was found to have glaucoma in his left eye.

I heard that too,that he have the glaucoma only in one eye.

Genie
10-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Does anyone know if there was any glaucoma in Elvis' family?

Is it hereditory, and how come he started with it so young?

Joyce Bova tells of him having injections in his eye in front of her, is this something related to the glaucoma, or something else?

Thanks, Deb

;)

I'm sorry to hear about this condition in one of our sweet fans...but it appears to have been caught and treated early, so the outcome should be just fine.
I have seen Elvis' family tree, but they don't add medical conditions to the list, lol and I have not read or heard of Vernon or Vestor having Glaucoma either?
It is possible to develope presure so high under the eye itself that this caused the damage and pretty much starts on it's own. Withouit treatment and sometimes with, it will go on to the other eye, as they are connected and there have been horrible situations where an infection (such as Charla Nash had) not only was her sight damaged irrepairably, but infection threatened going into the brain stem. In her case they had to remove the eyes.
Sorry to be so graphic, as she did not have glaucoma. What I think I was saying :blink:lol, was that Elvis at that time in the 70's? would eventually had glaucoma in both eyes.
Thank God medical miracles and treatments have come a long way. When they numb the eyeball, and you see a bright blue dot coming close, they are measuring for pressure build up. Diabetics are at risk for this too.

debtdbruno
10-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks Genie

debtdbruno
10-23-2009, 11:16 PM

This is the important thing for a lot of problems, get it seen to early. So many people ignore signs of problems.....it's not worth it, burying your head in the sand.........

Lisarose
10-24-2009, 06:16 AM
wow, lots of info, here. I know that when I go get my eyes examined (so I can get new glasses), the forms ask if there's history of glaucoma, so I figured there must be some hereditary thing going on.
As for Elvis, I'd always understood - perhaps incorrectly - that his eye health problems stemmed from the hair dyes, while performing & sweating profusely, he'd get the dye in his eyes.

May
10-24-2009, 10:11 AM
;)

. When they numb the eyeball, and you see a bright blue dot coming close, they are measuring for pressure build up. Diabetics are at risk for this too.

Yes, its really off-putting seeing the blue light coming towards you :supriced: when you first have it done. I kept blinking and it took ages to get the pressure. the doctor was losing his patience!!!!!:blink: I am so used to it now though after 20 or so years.

Every time I visit the hospital I am asked if I am diabetic too. Luckily Im not. touch wood.(y)

May
10-24-2009, 10:13 AM
This is the important thing for a lot of problems, get it seen to early. So many people ignore signs of problems.....it's not worth it, burying your head in the sand.........

Very true. although I had absolutely no signs at all. No headaches, no vision loss, no infections, no nothing. :hmm: Just a very persistant mother who insisted I get checked out!! Incidentally, no other immediate family member had it. Only my grandfather.