PDA

View Full Version : Elvis vs Michael

john carpenter
10-05-2009, 05:14 AM
]Popularity Contest- Elvis vs. Michael Jackson

Similaritys & Differences
Elvis Presley was a very beloved and talented artist, but the irreplaceably Michael Jackson was no doubt loved himself. Both artists new how to please the world with their voices, and both will be dearly missed.

Since the death of Michael Jackson, people have raised the question: "Who is more popular-Jackson or Elvis." This question could be deabted for hours and hours. I believe that Michael Jackson is more popular in todays time because he "introduced" the world to genuine pop music. However, Elvis was and is liked better in the older generations.

If two concerts were held in a year from now, one featuring Michael and one featuring Elvis, I believe that Elvis' concert would ultimately have more people. No doubt, both concerts would be packed, but Elvis was more popular with his music and talents. I mean no disrespect to Michael Jackson, but he was involved in some highly controversial issues which contributed to his fame.

Elvis Presley generated more top hit songs and more income than Michael Jackson, but Michael Jackson was very talented and an unforgetable performer. Some key mistakes and trials in Michaels life led to his somewhat of a downfall and his death.

Again, both artists will be missed, but Elvis was liked by mostly everyone. Michael Jackson had and still has many-many fans, but he also has a lot of people who quit liking him in his later life.

Overall, Elvis Presley wins my popularity contest.(y)

cbg84
10-05-2009, 07:01 AM
I've noticed in many polls online when it's just the two of them Elvis has the edge.

debtdbruno
10-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I suppose we are going to be biased on an Elvis board.................

beckelvis
10-05-2009, 05:07 PM
The truth I do not like the comparisons:hmm:, for my Elvis always to be the big(y)

Hominuk
10-05-2009, 05:37 PM
LOL! I think it's a given that we all are going to say Elvis! I read a good quote on You Tube that summed it perfectly on Elvis and Michael Jackson's influence of music:

"Elvis kicked open the door, and Michael moon walked thru it"

Kinda says it all, doesn't it?

Billy Budd
10-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Elvis is the greatest. Compared to Jackson he could sing anything, any kind of music styles. Jackson could "only" sing pop music.

cre
10-05-2009, 10:15 PM
The truth I do not like the comparisons:hmm:, for my Elvis always to be the big(y)

So true. It's a comparison of nothing.
Elvis will always be the best in my opinion (y)

Diane
10-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Elvis had everything....looks, charisma, his talent was versatile and his personality was warm and loving.

Diane

debtdbruno
10-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Elvis had everything....looks, charisma, his talent was versatile and his personality was warm and loving.

Diane

Perfect:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:no tworthy

euxyzabc
12-19-2009, 09:21 PM

Similaritys & Differences
Elvis Presley was a very beloved and talented artist, but the irreplaceably Michael Jackson was no doubt loved himself. Both artists new how to please the world with their voices, and both will be dearly missed.

Since the death of Michael Jackson, people have raised the question: "Who is more popular-Jackson or Elvis." This question could be deabted for hours and hours. I believe that Michael Jackson is more popular in todays time because he "introduced" the world to genuine pop music. However, Elvis was and is liked better in the older generations.

If two concerts were held in a year from now, one featuring Michael and one featuring Elvis, I believe that Elvis' concert would ultimately have more people. No doubt, both concerts would be packed, but Elvis was more popular with his music and talents. I mean no disrespect to Michael Jackson, but he was involved in some highly controversial issues which contributed to his fame.

Elvis Presley generated more top hit songs and more income than Michael Jackson, but Michael Jackson was very talented and an unforgetable performer. Some key mistakes and trials in Michaels life led to his somewhat of a downfall and his death.

Again, both artists will be missed, but Elvis was liked by mostly everyone. Michael Jackson had and still has many-many fans, but he also has a lot of people who quit liking him in his later life.

Overall, Elvis Presley wins my popularity contest.(y)

Wonder what Michael would think about this? :'(

piretos
12-19-2009, 10:38 PM

Diane

I second that(y)(y)

Lisarose
12-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Elvis vs. Michael?

IMO, Kinda like Picasso vs. Warhol or Hitchcock vs. Tarentino, etc. etc.

No, I agree with Hominuk's quote:
"Elvis kicked open the door, and Michael moon walked thru it" Kinda says it all, doesn't it?

And I''ll admit, I'm very biased, Michael was a good musician, but he's no Elvis!

Genie
12-20-2009, 12:53 AM
:no:
Someone once said that if he and Michael were in the same room no one would even notice MJ (although I believe that Elvis did like the Jackson Five)
Also Elvis is to me more popular in death, than MJ in life.
:blink: Of course a little respect is due here as MJ has passed. I did like him.
But in 30 years, few people will be active on fan sights and still writing books and fighting over high priced memorbilia
No comparison really, except that both were poor as children, Elvis probably more so.:xmas:

Getlo
12-21-2009, 01:28 PM
I believe that Michael Jackson is more popular in todays time because he "introduced" the world to genuine pop music.

He what now? :rolleyes: :angry:;)

May
12-21-2009, 01:36 PM

. I believe that Michael Jackson is more popular in todays time because he "introduced" the world to genuine pop music. However, Elvis was and is liked better in the older generations.

.(y)

Well I was in my teens when MJ was all over the charts in the eighties. Back then and today I would still choose Elvis over Michael.

I enjoyed Michael's songs and dancing, but there is no contest whatsoever IMO.

I wouldn't call myself the "older generation" either.

And for the record, my dad is 69 and a huge EP fan. My mum is 65 and a huge MJ fan. I'm with my dad on this one! :D

monk37
12-21-2009, 06:22 PM
I agree with May, I was an 80's teenager and didn't like Jackson at all.

It's a myth that he made music videos critical - in fact, I'd say Olivia Newton-John did it when she was too lazy to tour for her 1980 Physical album and did a tv special of a music video for each album cut.

Duran Duran raised the stakes with their scenic and scandalous videos

both before Jackson set foot in a studio to record the thriller album.

I suspect that Jackson is more comparable to Diana's death - there was a big outcry, the second year there was public events, but 10 years later, very few people go to her grave site who aren't relatives and the world has pretty much moved on.

Elvis is probably more popular 32 years after this death - his catalog sales, with no marketing push, sell more than many current popular artists

There's something on the order of 45,000 working ETAs around the world - who file tax with being an ETA as their main income source.

Unchained Melody
12-21-2009, 07:20 PM
I suppose we are going to be biased on an Elvis board.................

Exactly ... :excl:

May
12-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Well, :hmm::hmm:not necessarily. :hmm: Who knows who is an MJ fan and an EP fan on here. :hmm:

Elvis is my number one, but I also like The Beatles and Michael J music. If someone were to ask me who I preferred out of TB and MJ I couldnt choose! Depends what mood im in. ;)

debtdbruno
12-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Sorry to the Beatles fans.............I've never understood all the furora about them..........
MJ wasn't my thing in the 80's either........It was Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Spandau Ballet etc.....