PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero or Rock band with Elvis?

Lyndon
09-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Would you like to see Elvis in computer games like Guitar hero, Rockband or Singstar?

artfromtex
09-18-2009, 08:22 PM
it can only be a good thing. although, it's more likely that the less popular "Singstar" game would be fitting for an Elvis vehicle.

Brian
09-18-2009, 08:38 PM
No, The Beatles already beat him to it so he would just be copying them.

I think it would've been a good idea if Robert Sillerman and the people at EPE came out with this idea first for Elvis.

molokai123
09-19-2009, 04:13 AM
put elvis and the tcb band 1969-73 = awsome rock band game

The Everlasting Gaze
09-19-2009, 05:55 AM
I would say Singstar.

my boy
09-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Rockband would be awesome!

elvislady
09-19-2009, 12:46 PM
There is only one song on sing stars of elvis and thats suspicious minds...i would love to have more songs on singstar..

elvislady :D

easyrider
09-19-2009, 01:42 PM
I voted no.

Lover doll
09-19-2009, 03:08 PM
There is only one song on sing stars of elvis and thats suspicious minds...i would love to have more songs on singstar..

Waydown and Blue Suede Shoes are also on Singstar

Polk
09-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Yeah,it would be awesome.1956-1958/1970-1973 concerts on TV and you can try to dance and sing like he did.

karlos
09-19-2009, 03:57 PM
YEAH - it will be awesome - just think of it - 50's 60's andn 70's .
lets see what happens and when it will take place -

it sure would be a best seller -

elvislady
09-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Waydown and Blue Suede Shoes are also on Singstar

It depends on what country you are in... uk can only get one.. as far as i know.

Elisabeth
09-19-2009, 08:21 PM
I voted yes.

Mr.TCB
09-20-2009, 01:39 AM
I have wanted an Elvis Guitar Hero or Rock Band to come out for a long time now. I really hope it does. I would certainly buy it and a lot of my friends at school said they would too.

Raised on Rock
09-20-2009, 04:36 AM
They have to come out with something really new, and not just put Elvis into a game format that is already there, or else, it would look like they are just trying to make a buck by following what they do for the Beatles, it will look cheap.

If they come with some really inovative idea in the video games area, something new an atractive to people just because of the video game itself, then it would be benefical for Elvis.

I can't see that really happening.

P.S. On the other hand I don't see these Beatles video game that benefical, in short terms its a real boost for the sales of their newly upgrades discography and viceversa, in short term you'll get a lot of kids and teens discovering beatles and spending all their money on them (well thats the whats the music bussines about right?). On the other hand Beatles could get too much Mickey Moused after the game got worned out, and those kids would be interested then in something else, and bealtes would be regarded as that novelity they long left behind. Anyhow, maybe its just me not always been a big fan of promoting Beatles on lunch boxes, plastic toys, or Teddy Bears, or wait that was Elvis promotional crap.

elvisfreak68
09-20-2009, 05:13 AM
They should be a guitar hero where you can play as Elvis,James Burton,Scotty Moore,Charlie hodge,Dj Fontana,Ronnie Tut, or Bill Black.

Genie
09-20-2009, 07:24 AM
YEAH - it will be awesome - just think of it - 50's 60's andn 70's .
lets see what happens and when it will take place -

it sure would be a best seller -

No Karlos I disagree. But that is what makes life interesting.. I don't want to see any "Game" doll or the like of ELVIS.

Polk-Salad-Annie
09-20-2009, 09:49 AM
I voted for YES(y)(y)

john carpenter
09-20-2009, 04:03 PM

I think it would've been a good idea if Robert Sillerman and the people at EPE came out with this idea first for Elvis.
You Never know Brian...Elvis could just have the most popular video game of all time. After all he is "the King"(y)

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-20-2009, 05:11 PM

To be honest I feel that statement is a little childish :blush: Before the Beatles there was other bands on Guitar Hero for instance Matallica & Aerosmith so to make one for Elvis in a similar format wouldn't be copying.... More opening a new fan-base through modern technology. I'll be honest here (Breathes in sharply) I don't really think there is a mass market for Elvis in this medium, perhaps if the was a various rock 'n' roll version maybe.. I could be wrong? :blush:

shelley.m.
09-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Why not? I don't play video games but I'm sure those that do would love to have Elvis guitar hero in their collection.

Raised on Rock
09-21-2009, 12:36 AM
To be honest I feel that statement is a little childish :blush: Before the Beatles there was other bands on Guitar Hero for instance Matallica & Aerosmith so to make one for Elvis in a similar format wouldn't be copying.... More opening a new fan-base through modern technology. I'll be honest here (Breathes in sharply) I don't really think there is a mass market for Elvis in this medium, perhaps if the was a various rock 'n' roll version maybe.. I could be wrong? :blush:

Before the Bealtes, I don't know of any band that have a video game devoted JUST to them, that is the huge difference as far as I know. Not sure I could be wrong

I also do not think Elvis has the mass market for a video game, let's face it, somehow Beatles have better reached a younger people market than Elvis, and older people are not buying videogames. To release an ALL Elvis video game like the Beatles one, might just plain flop.

To include Elvis in a 50's/60's rock and roll inspired version of Guitar Hero would fit just right.

Brian
09-21-2009, 07:15 AM

No, it isn't childish

Since his death Elvis' estate are always copying ideas the Beatles are coming out with first.
Whether it be the Cirque shows, #1 hits CD, talks of Anthology etc.
The people managing the Beatles image and music come out with these great ideas and then EPE and Sony copy it for Elvis after they have already had tremendous success with it.
If Elvis came out with a Guitar Hero it would just be to copy the Beatles again since they recently came out with it and I don't like that i'd love it if EPE or Sony came up with these ideas first.

I remember when Robert Sillerman came on the scene everybody was saying what a great thing this was because he's got these brand new creative ideas well, what an overhyped joke that turned out to be.

I'm basically saying Elvis should be doing his own thing instead of just copying the Beatles over and over again.
He probably would be if the people over at Sony and EPE had any brains but hey look on the bright side at least we get Elvis impersonator contests.

Brian
09-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Before the Bealtes, I don't know of any band that have a video game devoted JUST to them, that is the huge difference as far as I know. Not sure I could be wrong

You know I can't think of any others besides the Beatles either and guess what
If Elvis came out with a Guitar Hero game it would be entirely devoted to him just like the Beatles.

except we would get Elvis songs in the game instead

How original.

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-21-2009, 07:47 AM

As I said above, Metallica & Aerosmith have their full own versions of Guitar Hero, I should know, I bought them for my daughter (y)

No, it isn't childish

In your opinion :hmm:

Since his death Elvis' estate are always copying ideas the Beatles are coming out with first.
Whether it be the Cirque shows, #1 hits CD, talks of Anthology etc.
The people managing the Beatles image and music come out with these great ideas and then EPE and Sony copy it for Elvis after they have already had tremendous success with it.

If Elvis came out with a Guitar Hero it would just be to copy the Beatles again since they recently came out with it and I don't like that i'd love it if EPE or Sony came up with these ideas first.

There are always going to be somebody who will trail blaze an opportunity, you obviously feel quite strongly about the Beatles, I see no shame in following a format if it works!

I remember when Robert Sillerman came on the scene everybody was saying what a great thing this was because he's got these brand new creative ideas well, what an overhyped joke that turned out to be.

I'm basically saying Elvis should be doing his own thing instead of just copying the Beatles over and over again.
He probably would be if the people over at Sony and EPE had any brains but hey look on the bright side at least we get Elvis impersonator contests.

I agree that EPE and Sillerman could do more (n)

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-21-2009, 07:54 AM
You know I can't think of any others besides the Beatles either and guess what
If Elvis came out with a Guitar Hero game it would be entirely devoted to him just like the Beatles.

except we would get Elvis songs in the game instead

How original.

Gutar Hero Metallica (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Hero-Metallica-Game-Only/dp/B001TOD346/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1253515737&sr=8-1)

http://www.platformnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/guitar_hero_metallica.jpg

Guitar Hero Aerosmith (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/asin/B0017KXJCI/wwwbiblionmay4715-21?gclid=CODM8MeOgp0CFaAA4wodJ1wpaw)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CVDgcGiQL._SS500_.jpg

Rock Band had Green Day before the Beatles

http://f.imagehost.org/0896/Green_Day_Rock_Band2.jpg

It is a well used format (y)

Brian
09-21-2009, 08:52 AM
There are always going to be somebody who will trail blaze an opportunity, you obviously feel quite strongly about the Beatles, I see no shame in following a format if it works!

Does EPE always have to rip off things the Beatles are always doing first though?

Brian
09-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Gutar Hero Metallica (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Hero-Metallica-Game-Only/dp/B001TOD346/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1253515737&sr=8-1)

http://www.platformnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/guitar_hero_metallica.jpg

Guitar Hero Aerosmith (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/asin/B0017KXJCI/wwwbiblionmay4715-21?gclid=CODM8MeOgp0CFaAA4wodJ1wpaw)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CVDgcGiQL._SS500_.jpg

It is a well used format (y)

I feel Elvis would gain nothing by following this trend.

I'm sorry if I don't know very much about video games
i'm a grown up.

Raised on Rock
09-21-2009, 06:24 PM

That Is the point, its not about how good or not is to follow a trend if its working, but that EPE/SONY/Sillyman, are basically doing less than that.

If its not for FTD Records, Presley catalog would be long time buried for the fans, and we'll be doing nothing but waiting to see when they decide to follow up someone else steps.

Unchained Melody
09-21-2009, 06:33 PM
I feel Elvis would gain nothing by following this trend.

i'm a grown up.

Then why are you even posting in a thread that is "about" a video game :blush::hmm:

SleepyJack
09-21-2009, 07:21 PM
I`d settle for a karate game so I could play as Elvis and and hand out some whupass to the beatles.... no,I don`t expect it to happen though.:D:D:D

Brian
09-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Then why are you even posting in a thread that is "about" a video game :blush::hmm:

Because Bradley i'm giving my views on whether or not EPE should come up with a video game for Elvis.

I don't have to know a lot about video games for that.

SleepyJack
09-21-2009, 07:37 PM
This does actually raise an interesting point..... if the people in charge of the beatles "stuff" are forward-thinking enough to include them in more up-to-date projects like video games etc...and EPE seem content to go along with what they think Elvis fans want...the fridge magnets,ETAs,knitted table napkins or whatever....then the future doesn`t look too bright does it?

Unchained Melody
09-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Because Bradley i'm giving my views on whether or not EPE should come up with a video game for Elvis.

I don't have to know a lot about video games for that.

Oh okay Brian.....

Raised on Rock
09-21-2009, 09:53 PM
This does actually raise an interesting point..... if the people in charge of the beatles "stuff" are forward-thinking enough to include them in more up-to-date projects like video games etc...and EPE seem content to go along with what they think Elvis fans want...the fridge magnets,ETAs,knitted table napkins or whatever....then the future doesn`t look too bright does it?

True is, people managing the beatles interests, have been clever enough to place, and with good results, beatle interest in younger people. Now, of course they got a market in young people (under 25), and video games will prove to be a hit for them.

Elvis market, although it is true that there are plenty of younger fans, still depends A LOT in older people (around their 40's) and the original fans that are still around, and they keep feeding their profits on them, without doing much to reach newer generations. Today, this video game thing, Elvis does not have a big market on the generations interested in video games. A probable reason of why Elvis hasn't showed up on this rock band or guitar hero series.

I voted yes on this thread, but it have to be done very carefully, which songs will be there? another greatest hits compilation for the game? that is what most likely will happen, and I'm sorry but that simply will not do (Wooden Heart, She's Not You won't do for this) for the younger people, and Elvis will be second to many.

It is of vital importance that they reach deeper into Elvis catalogue, (something that rarely has been done for mainstream compilations) to find real up tempo, hard rocking numbers, to cover all periods in Elvis life. And I stick to this: the game should have something new and interesting in itself, Elvis is not such a big attraction on its own for the younger generations, but if the game its interesting enough on itself, the you'll get a nice way to reach a newer generation.

Now remember that the Bealtes video game came along with the remastering of their record catalogue.

Elvis catalogue outside FTD has always been and it is now a terrible mess, to find a way to finally solve that comes first. Or else what, a video game to push some new greatest hit/christmas/gospel CD? or send the new people interested in Elvis to buy Elvis sings Burning Love and Hits from his Movies Vol 2 NOW ON CD!!! sure... how exiting. And once again you will disappoint people offering the ackwards material, and leaving the good stuff buried.

In that way the recent From Elvis in Memphis CD was good step, now what is next for the rest of Elvis catalogue? How we gonna get the good stuff before the crap to the newer or potential fans?

Brian
09-21-2009, 11:01 PM
I`d settle for a karate game so I could play as Elvis and and hand out some whupass to the beatles.... no,I don`t expect it to happen though.:D:D:D

I wouldn't be surprised if EPE comes out with a game like that.

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-21-2009, 11:42 PM
i'm a grown up.

Just because you are grown up doesn't mean you have to bury your head in the sand :hmm:

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-21-2009, 11:43 PM

100% agreed (y)

Brian
09-22-2009, 04:31 AM
100% agreed (y)

Bradley's statement was most ridiculous.

I don't have to have vast knowledge of video games to know that Elvis' estate shouldn't keep copying the Beatles, and if they came out with a Rock legend video game for Elvis on the heels of one about the Beatles that's exactly what they'd be doing.

The Beatles show the way and then a light bulb goes off in the heads of the people at EPE.

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Bradley's statement was most ridiculous.

In your opinion, thankfully there are other opinions too :hmm:

I don't have to have vast knowledge of video games to know that Elvis' estate shouldn't keep copying the Beatles, and if they came out with a Rock legend video game for Elvis on the heels of one about the Beatles that's exactly what they'd be doing.

The people who manage the Beatles catalogue have copied other bands, that has already been established above. There is interest in the Beatles product so I guess when the millions roll in I don't think they will be bothered if they copied or not. It's ridiculous to say we shouldn't make a Rock Bad or Guitar Hero because it copies the Beatles. If EPE did market research and there was enough demand (which I doubt) they wouldn't care about copying either.

The Beatles show the way and then a light bulb goes off in the heads of the people at EPE.

The above statement is incorrect, Metallica, Aerosmith and Green Day have led the way, followed by the Beatles.

presley31
09-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Just because you are grown up doesn't mean you have to bury your head in the sand :hmm:

agreed(y)(y)

I am a grown up woman but still enjoy playing a game now and than:)

Diane
09-22-2009, 02:54 PM
If there is a market for it, I don't see why not. I'd go for Guitar Hero.:D

Diane

Brian
09-22-2009, 08:24 PM
The above statement is incorrect, Metallica, Aerosmith and Green Day have led the way, followed by the Beatles.

All the other bands you mentioned are still together.

The Beatles are a classic act they broke up in 1970 just like Elvis who died in 1977.

The Beatles have shown the way that a Classic band that has not been active in decades can have a game out and it can be successful.

The people at EPE would never think of doing a Rock legend video game if the Beatles hadn't just come out with one.

That was also the inspiration for this thread the Beatles have a game so why not Elvis.

no one ever talked about a Rock legend video game for Elvis until the Beatles.

Brian 2

Jumpsuit Junkie 0

KPM
09-22-2009, 09:05 PM

I would love to see this come about.
First off-why in every instance does it have to be because someone else has done something that it can not be done somewhere else also?
I have no qualms about taking a good idea, a fun idea, an idea that may help Elvis with a new internet generation and using it-whether its a brand new idea or not.
If we followed that logic for everything -life would be limited to only "firsts" in everything and nothing of variation to those "firsts"
What makes it different is that it would be Elvis music-not Beatle music which is used. That indeed makes it different-while still the same premise for the game.
Beatles have not been a group for almost 40 years, 2 are dead-that limits what can be done.
Elvis has been dead for 32 years and that limits what can be done.
Its inevitable that similar things will be used to promote and maintain there legacys and music.
Should the Beatles have not played rock because Elvis beat them to it?
Should only the first company build cars because in the early 1900s they were first.
You get my point I'm sure.

KPM
09-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Does EPE always have to rip off things the Beatles are always doing first though?
See you see it in a negative way "rip things off"
Ideas start somewhere-and then move into many differing situations, you seem to want nothing from EPE unless it is solely and totally "a new thing"
There are really no new things only updates and variations if something used in differing forms for centuries.
Well lets see is a game really a new thing? NO!
Did the Beatles and the people behind Rock Band games rip off the idea of "a game"?
Where did the first game come from?..............cavemen trying to light a fire-first one to get a flame wins. Could be!
So lets say thats the start of "the game"
What would we have missed if no one decided to come of variations of "the game".......
Checkers, marbles, pick up stix, chess, chinese checkers, monopoly, ring toss, scrabble, tic tac toe, cards-wait cards???
How many variations of games are there for cards
Rummy? How many variations of rummy are there for a deck of cards?
Poker? How many variations of poker are there for a deck of cards?
and on and on and on................................................ .....
So variations of anything are very important and needed to expand the original-regardless of who was first.

Unchained Melody
09-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Brian no offense, but you are very narrow minded. I thought you didn't even like video games so why do you feel the need to get so worked up about it my god, if they do then they do, and if they don't then the world will keep right on a turnin' my friend. ;)(y)

Unchained Melody
09-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Brian 2

Jumpsuit Junkie 0

According to whom ? => YOU :blush:

KPM
09-22-2009, 09:25 PM
I can only go by what I see when bands/DJs play Elvis music at wedding receptions and things of that nature-and kids love to dance to Jailhouse Rock, Don't Be Cruel, Blue Suede Shoes etc.....I notice they hit the dance floor and have fun with it.
Its hard to say how that would translate into the game sales though. :blush:

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-22-2009, 11:22 PM
All the other bands you mentioned are still together.

The Beatles are a classic act they broke up in 1970 just like Elvis who died in 1977.

The Beatles have shown the way that a Classic band that has not been active in decades can have a game out and it can be successful.

The people at EPE would never think of doing a Rock legend video game if the Beatles hadn't just come out with one.

That was also the inspiration for this thread the Beatles have a game so why not Elvis.

no one ever talked about a Rock legend video game for Elvis until the Beatles.

I love your presumption Brian, you assume that the people managing the Beatles catalogue have come up with this Idea, who's to say that their fans haven't petitioned the makers or the makers approached the Beatles management. the variables are considerable.

To be perfectly honest it doesn't matter who came up with the idea and that's the point really. I'm sure there will be some small minded people who sit in darkened rooms who wouldn't buy an Elvis game because the Beatles had a game out first. Others might be grateful.

Brian 2

Jumpsuit Junkie 0

Ha ha, very mature ;)

Brian
09-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Brian no offense, but you are very narrow minded. I thought you didn't even like video games so why do you feel the need to get so worked up about it my god, if they do then they do, and if they don't then the world will keep right on a turnin' my friend. ;)(y)

Narrow minded

I take great offense to that.

You miss the point it's not so much about video games as it is about marketing.

It would be a marketing tool to try and get Elvis some new fans and make money and I know about marketing.

I'm not getting worked up over this my demeanor is actually very calm.

In the grand scheme of things it's not important but it's an issue in the Elvis world and i'm commenting on it.

Brian
09-23-2009, 06:27 AM
I love your presumption Brian, you assume that the people managing the Beatles catalogue have come up with this Idea, who's to say that their fans haven't petitioned the makers or the makers approached the Beatles management. the variables are considerable.

To be perfectly honest it doesn't matter who came up with the idea and that's the point really. I'm sure there will be some small minded people who sit in darkened rooms who wouldn't buy an Elvis game because the Beatles had a game out first. Others might be grateful.

I didn't say people wouldn't buy the game on the contrary if Elvis had a video game I think it would be successful like Elvis 30 #1 hits which came out after the Beatles #1.
It will probably be less successful than the Beatles game though.

I've said that I don't think it would be wise for Elvis estate to always keep coming out with these projects after the Beatles and that I wish they would do their own thing a lot more often.
It's not good for Elvis.

I also don't think an Elvis game would pick up very many non fans which would be the goal for such a project.
Elvis isn't marketed the right way and he has image problems

So I voted no

I highly doubt Beatle fans petitioned for a game.

It may not matter to you but their are fans out there myself included that don't like Elvis estate always copying those Mop tops.

hounddog
09-23-2009, 11:17 AM
I'd buy it, and i'm sure some gamers who are non fans would buy it as well. If Queen, Abba, The Beatles and Mowtown can have music video games why not Elvis.

KPM
09-23-2009, 03:57 PM
I didn't say people wouldn't buy the game on the contrary if Elvis had a video game I think it would be successful like Elvis 30 #1 hits which came out after the Beatles #1.
It will probably be less successful than the Beatles game though.

I've said that I don't think it would be wise for Elvis estate to always keep coming out with these projects after the Beatles and that I wish they would do their own thing a lot more often.
It's not good for Elvis.

I also don't think an Elvis game would pick up very many non fans which would be the goal for such a project.
Elvis isn't marketed the right way and he has image problems

So I voted no

I highly doubt Beatle fans petitioned for a game.

It may not matter to you but their are fans out there myself included that don't like Elvis estate always copying those Mop tops.
Does not really matter to me-for the reasons I already pointed out.
Progress in any way shape or form has to start with an idea-then variations of that idea are used to expand it.
Although its nice to be the first-as Elvis was the first true rock superstar-you can not stop there-if you did we would not even have the Beatles.
I understand your point-but you are always wanting EPE to do something to promote Elvis better-this game is a hot game with the teens and 20 somethings-sounds smart to me, logical.
But we can't always be first in everything. Monopoly has marketed how many "theme versions" of itself-and they sell-its just variety............... which is the spice of life they say.

Exactly how would you "market" Elvis? You seem disappointed in everything EPE does so I'm curious what you would do-with almost no new material in the vaults other than outtakes or live shows. It is not an easy task, and they do not own the music nor the movies so they are limited in scope.

Brian
09-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Exactly how would you "market" Elvis? You seem disappointed in everything EPE does so I'm curious what you would do-with almost no new material in the vaults other than outtakes or live shows. It is not an easy task, and they do not own the music nor the movies so they are limited in scope.

It's not just EPE but also Elvis label with Ernst and Roger Sermon in charge they could do a better job as well.

Ernst has done some good things in the past but those days have been over for a long time.

They've screwed up so much over years I don't know if I could clean up their messes.

One thing that irks me about Elvis label is compared to the Beatles who seem to understand the RIAA rules and guidelines and adapt well to them Sony doesn't.

The people that run the Beatles catalouge put the White Album out on double Cd's so it counts as double sales meanwhile Elvis label never did the same for Aloha, MSG or Elvis in Concert so his sales don't benefit like the Beatles have.
That's one thing I would've done if I were in charge.

I would also stop putting out the endless new Christmas compilations every year and instead keep the Camden 1970 Christmas album so it can get past the 10 million mark and Elvis can get his first diamond award.

As for EPE in their marketing strategy they are always doing things for the new generation who don't know anything about Elvis or people that are new fans they never learn that you can get new fans while keeping the long time fans happy.

A good example of this is the Viva Las Vegas documentary from 2007 it was promoted as a documentary of Elvis history in Vegas instead it ended up being a standard biography of Elvis' entire career that we've seen countless times and it featured singers singing Elvis songs we've seen that before.

The 2002 show Elvis Lives was pretty much the same thing as Viva Las Vegas except It was much better imo.
VLV was just a poor rehash.

What I would have done with the Viva Las Vegas is do what was advertised
making strictly about Elvis life and career in Las Vegas and only interview people that were involved with that.

50 Cent, Faith Hill and Beyonce being interview on that show just talking about Elvis in a general sense served no purpose.

I think it would've been better than what we got if they'd done those things.

These are just some of things I would have done differently

Sillerman's ideas for an Elvis themed Disney Land is very bad news in my opinion.
I would just build a big luxury hotel in Vegas and name it after Elvis.
instead of making Elvis into more of a cartoon character which is what Sillerman's plans seem to be.

elvislady
09-23-2009, 08:52 PM
My young son as rock band and guitar hero... i go love them both.

TCBDan
09-23-2009, 09:54 PM
No Karlos I disagree. But that is what makes life interesting.. I don't want to see any "Game" doll or the like of ELVIS.

why on earth do you feel that?

how cool would it be to try and sing the songs, play them and mess around with your mates whilst your at it!

dude how can that be bad? x

TCBDan

KPM
09-23-2009, 10:19 PM
It's not just EPE but also Elvis label with Ernst and Roger Sermon in charge they could do a better job as well.

Ernst has done some good things in the past but those days have been over for a long time.

They've screwed up so much over years I don't know if I could clean up their messes.

One thing that irks me about Elvis label is compared to the Beatles who seem to understand the RIAA rules and guidelines and adapt well to them Sony doesn't.

The people that run the Beatles catalouge put the White Album out on double Cd's so it counts as double sales meanwhile Elvis label never did the same for Aloha, MSG or Elvis in Concert so his sales don't benefit like the Beatles have.
That's one thing I would've done if I were in charge.

I would also stop putting out the endless new Christmas compilations every year and instead keep the Camden 1970 Christmas album so it can get past the 10 million mark and Elvis can get his first diamond award.

As for EPE in their marketing strategy they are always doing things for the new generation who don't know anything about Elvis or people that are new fans they never learn that you can get new fans while keeping the long time fans happy.

A good example of this is the Viva Las Vegas documentary from 2007 it was promoted as a documentary of Elvis history in Vegas instead it ended up being a standard biography of Elvis' entire career that we've seen countless times and it featured singers singing Elvis songs we've seen that before.

The 2002 show Elvis Lives was pretty much the same thing as Viva Las Vegas except It was much better imo.
VLV was just a poor rehash.

What I would have done with the Viva Las Vegas is do what was advertised
making strictly about Elvis life and career in Las Vegas and only interview people that were involved with that.

50 Cent, Faith Hill and Beyonce being interview on that show just talking about Elvis in a general sense served no purpose.

I think it would've been better than what we got if they'd done those things.

These are just some of things I would have done differently

Sillerman's ideas for an Elvis themed Disney Land is very bad news in my opinion.
I would just build a big luxury hotel in Vegas and name it after Elvis.
instead of making Elvis into more of a cartoon character which is what Sillerman's plans seem to be.
I would not say they have screwed up-but they have at times just let Elvis coast with little promotion, the record end of it-EPE has nothing to do with how they market, how they package, what they release, they may be advised of releases but its out of their hands. Ernst can only do so much with what he has-live recordings which are very similar in a lot of instances, and outtakes. So what Ernst can do beyond what he has is not much IMO. He can remaster and punch up the sound on the recordings but he can not make new recordings without Elvis.
-Thats very limiting. Of course advertising always helps in anything-but Sony is not going to promote Elvis like they do live entertainers-its just not logical(as much as I'd would like to see it done)
They will pick and choose their moments to spend. They have a wealth of music which has made them hundreds of millions and they know it takes little advertising to sell a couple hundred thousand of anything with Elvis on it to the old fans-so they continue to reap.

As far as double albums many of Elvis's DAs were sold while he was alive at double album price-but did not contain enought minutes to be given double album status even thou it was 2 records in the album

I have long said that the constant reissues of X-mas music with new covers and song line ups was a big blunder=but only for Elvis receiving his due in his total sales and as you point out a Diamond award-but by Sonys/BMGs view these reissues sell well each year and people who do not have Elvis music will buy the new packages for x-mas so they win sales wise at Elvis's total sales expense.
The specials you spoke of-Elvis Lives/Viva Las Vegas end up looking the same because they only have so much footage of Elvis live-and its been used over and over. Perhaps if they would use some of the 8mm fan footage with sound dubbed in closely that might help to vary the special events they try to promote.
Using todays artists in interview is done to draw in people who might not watch otherwise-and then they may see something in Elvis they like-which could lead to a new fan or sale of some kind.
But my point is-the tools which are available are finite (concert footage/new unknown recordings)
-its not like Tom Jones who has hours and hours of footage from the 60s,70s, 80s, etc up to this very day- all kinds of TV shows, specials, live concert footage, benefit footage....... so many hours much of it would seem totally new to people and could be released for years and years after his death in packages. Thats a wealth of film to bank on-so promoting him after death would be easier in some ways.
So in Elvis's case the pickings are slim after 32 years which limits what can be done without just repeating the same stuff-as you pointed out.

I have not liked all that EPE has done or marketed in Elvis's name-but all in all I have to give them credit for doing what they can without any control over-the music and the films.
EPE did well with the 68 special and the Aloha Special sets which was not done on the cheap and was promoted-but they owned them outright so they could do what they wanted.

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-23-2009, 10:57 PM
The Aloha and 68 Special Sales were considered a flop from their point of view, so my guess is they will only layout the minimum they have too to reap the most reward. As for Ernst, he has very little left in the bottom draw to surprise us with, Most of the top quality material has already been released.

As for Sillerman, It's my opinion that this guy is a white elephant! Opportunities have come and gone with little from him to point at and say "Hey this guy has made a difference!" No, I'm sorry to say but there really does need to be a serious break through to re-energise the Elvis franchise. Hopefully there will be CGI animation to show a replica Elvis perform to live tracks or creative ways to remix Elvis records that can appeal to a new generation of fans but remain faithful to the originals. Elvis is part of history and without creative minds it will be harder and harder to make him relevant to modern society.

All in all the fan-base will diminish in number as the years go by, but I believe there will always be a hardcore fan-base to carry the torch (y)

KPM
09-23-2009, 11:47 PM
The Aloha and 68 Special Sales were considered a flop from their point of view, so my guess is they will only layout the minimum they have too to reap the most reward. As for Ernst, he has very little left in the bottom draw to surprise us with, Most of the top quality material has already been released.

As for Sillerman, It's my opinion that this guy is a white elephant! Opportunities have come and gone with little from him to point at and say "Hey this guy has made a difference!" No, I'm sorry to say but there really does need to be a serious break through to re-energise the Elvis franchise. Hopefully there will be CGI animation to show a replica Elvis perform to live tracks or creative ways to remix Elvis records that can appeal to a new generation of fans but remain faithful to the originals. Elvis is part of history and without creative minds it will be harder and harder to make him relevant to modern society.

All in all the fan-base will diminish in number as the years go by, but I believe there will always be a hardcore fan-base to carry the torch (y)
Its hard to tell what they would think a success is-since
The 68 Special Deluxe edition is 2 x multi-platinum and the Aloha Deluxe Edition is Platinum also the Special Edition versions of both these have gone platinum.
But I agree something new needs to be introduced somewhere down the line along the lines you suggest probably. :blush:

Brian
09-24-2009, 03:18 AM
As far as double albums many of Elvis's DAs were sold while he was alive at double album price-but did not contain enought minutes to be given double album status even thou it was 2 records in the album

The specials you spoke of-Elvis Lives/Viva Las Vegas end up looking the same because they only have so much footage of Elvis live-and its been used over and over. Perhaps if they would use some of the 8mm fan footage with sound dubbed in closely that might help to vary the special events they try to promote.
Using todays artists in interview is done to draw in people who might not watch otherwise-and then they may see something in Elvis they like-which could lead to a new fan or sale of some kind.
But my point is-the tools which are available are finite (concert footage/new unknown recordings)
-its not like Tom Jones who has hours and hours of footage from the 60s,70s, 80s, etc up to this very day- all kinds of TV shows, specials, live concert footage, benefit footage....... so many hours much of it would seem totally new to people and could be released for years and years after his death in packages. Thats a wealth of film to bank on-so promoting him after death would be easier in some ways.
So in Elvis's case the pickings are slim after 32 years which limits what can be done without just repeating the same stuff-as you pointed out.

You say it's the case of slim pickings I don't see it that way.

When speaking of the VLV t.v. special I don't really care about the same footage being used it's just that the show should have focused entirely on Elvis Vegas years instead of just a simple overview of his career that's always done.
I thought the He Touched me program focusing on Elvis gospel music was one of EPE better documentaries because it focused on a certain area about Elvis and thats what VLV should have done.
I do think it would be a good idea for Elvis estate to pursue these rumors of silent footage of the 69 Vegas and various other shows.

I think had Aloha and Elvis in Concert been released on CD's as double albums they would count as 2 instead of one that's how the Beatles maximum their sales potential.

That's what i've always heard from other fans on the FECC forum.
Ernst should have definately done this then.

I think Ernst could also put together a more complete Blues compilation and an R&B compilation for the mass market.
Elvis has a ton of songs that most of the general public are unaware of that his label could make some compilations out of that would be something different that the endless greatest hits, Christmas, gospel compilations.

I just found something else out a couple of months ago

The RIAA has this rule that albums that originated on Vinyl when they are put on CD must have no more than 4 bonus tracks or they are counted as different albums.

For example when From Elvis in Memphis was released in 1969 it quickly went gold an expanded version was released in the late 90's with 6 bonus tracks.
That means that the sales of the CD version of FEIM doesn't count the sales of the original vinyl album.

Elvis golden records volume 1 was certified 6x platinum in 1999

I thought in these past 10 years it could be a possibility that Elvis golden records vol. 1 sold an additional 4 million to qualify for a diamond award but I was wrong the CD remastered version contained more than 4 bonus tracks.

How stupid are the people running Elvis music catalouge.

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Its hard to tell what they would think a success is-since
The 68 Special Deluxe edition is 2 x multi-platinum and the Aloha Deluxe Edition is Platinum also the Special Edition versions of both these have gone platinum.

I believe the reason they thought it wasn't a success was based on the initial sales and what the recouped in that time, rather than the figures to date. I could be wrong :blush:

KPM
09-24-2009, 04:28 PM
I believe the reason they thought it wasn't a success was based on the initial sales and what the recouped in that time, rather than the figures to date. I could be wrong :blush:
You could be right-everyone wants a quick return on their money:D
Also I'm not sure how much they paid to become sole owners of the specials so that is another factor they know and we do not.

KPM
09-24-2009, 04:41 PM
You say it's the case of slim pickings I don't see it that way.
When speaking of the VLV t.v. special I don't really care about the same footage being used it's just that the show should have focused entirely on Elvis Vegas years instead of just a simple overview of his career that's always done.
I thought the He Touched me program focusing on Elvis gospel music was one of EPE better documentaries because it focused on a certain area about Elvis and thats what VLV should have done.
I do think it would be a good idea for Elvis estate to pursue these rumors of silent footage of the 69 Vegas and various other shows.

I think had Aloha and Elvis in Concert been released on CD's as double albums they would count as 2 instead of one that's how the Beatles maximum their sales potential.

That's what i've always heard from other fans on the FECC forum.
Ernst should have definately done this then.

I think Ernst could also put together a more complete Blues compilation and an R&B compilation for the mass market.
Elvis has a ton of songs that most of the general public are unaware of that his label could make some compilations out of that would be something different that the endless greatest hits, Christmas, gospel compilations.

I just found something else out a couple of months ago

The RIAA has this rule that albums that originated on Vinyl when they are put on CD must have no more than 4 bonus tracks or they are counted as different albums.

For example when From Elvis in Memphis was released in 1969 it quickly went gold an expanded version was released in the late 90's with 6 bonus tracks.
That means that the sales of the CD version of FEIM doesn't count the sales of the original vinyl album.

Elvis golden records volume 1 was certified 6x platinum in 1999

I thought in these past 10 years it could be a possibility that Elvis golden records vol. 1 sold an additional 4 million to qualify for a diamond award but I was wrong the CD remastered version contained more than 4 bonus tracks.How stupid are the people running Elvis music catalouge.

Well we see it differently-if you can not come up with a new angle you end up covering the same territory-whether footage is used or not.
He Touched Me was a new angle-it spotlighted Elvis's gospel music-it had interviews which spoke to Elvis's love of gospel-in depth. So now that can never be done again-if they try-it will rehash much of what they already did.
The clips used in it-were well known clips seen many many times before......so nothing new there. So on the gospel end-you now have slim pickings;)

The RIAA rules are well known to me-and I have posted several times about the way Elvis is robbed of sales and awards by the way Sony/BMG/RCA has put together these "new/old packages" so on that front we agree....But obviously these packages sell well enough to continue doing them or they would stop. So from Sonys point of view (sales) its not stupid-its getting the most return for what they sell-regardless of RIAA rules which affect Elvis's totals.
But EPE has no say NONE-
Sony wants to make as much on these new cds as possible-they know that putting 4 bonus tracks of alternate takes or just tracks from the same session not on the original album increases the sales to old and new fans.
I agree and have said for years-it robs Elvis of sales and awards.
If EPE had a bigger hand in the way Sony markets and sells if might be a different story-but they only have a say in the 73 and after recordings and that say is very little.

Brian
09-24-2009, 06:57 PM
]
The RIAA rules are well known to me-and I have posted several times about the way Elvis is robbed of sales and awards by the way Sony/BMG/RCA has put together these "new/old packages" so on that front we agree....But obviously these packages sell well enough to continue doing them or they would stop. So from Sonys point of view (sales) its not stupid-its getting the most return for what they sell-regardless of RIAA rules which affect Elvis's totals.
But EPE has no say NONE-
Sony wants to make as much on these new cds as possible-they know that putting 4 bonus tracks of alternate takes or just tracks from the same session not on the original album increases the sales to old and new fans.
I agree and have said for years-it robs Elvis of sales and awards.
If EPE had a bigger hand in the way Sony markets and sells if might be a different story-but they only have a say in the 73 and after recordings and that say is very little.

You knew about the no more than 4 bonus tracks rule?
that was news to me

I think you give EPE to much credit if they were involved with how Sony markets they would probably be as clueless.
Both seem to follow Colonel Parker's strategies which has worked for them finacially but doesn't showcase Elvis the best artistically or market him tastefully in the case of EPE.

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-24-2009, 09:12 PM
If EPE was a 'Not for Profit' organisation his legacy would be completely different! As it is now, the family rely heavily on Elvis for their annual income as well as for the running costs of Graceland (which looks like it could do with more investment).

Lisa Has had the money from Sillerman and I guess that will keep her in the lifestyle she has become accustomed too for some time but that will dwindle in time. They are noway near being poor, far from it, however they are morally poor and short sighted.

KPM
09-24-2009, 09:14 PM
You knew about the no more than 4 bonus tracks rule?
that was news to meI think you give EPE to much credit if they were involved with how Sony markets they would probably be as clueless.Both seem to follow Colonel Parker's strategies which has worked for them finacially but doesn't showcase Elvis the best artistically or market him tastefully in the case of EPE.
Yes. I knew there was a stipulation which kept the reissues with bonus tracks from counting toward the original releases.
As far as giving EPE too much credit-I know they have asked the labels to get accurate counts of all Elvis sales and thats as much as they can ask.
The label says it is trying to find all sales and verify them when possible-but they admit they are not going on a scavenger hunt worldwide They point to the reissue stratagy as a way to reach new fans with "new product" while still giving something a little different to the old fans.

It would be a guess on how EPE would market Elvis records-but Lisa I think would have enough pride in her father to want "each record sold to add to the sales totals of her father"
That would require less reissues with bonus tracks and at Christmas just push the original albums-instead of always coming up with a new design for the basically the same music-but new name on the cover.

You point to a blues album-that Ernst should do one-Wasn't the "Reconsider Baby" cd pretty much blues? All 12 songs are blues or blues leaning and that was back in 1985.
Unfortunately Elvis just did not record a lot of blues in comparison to country, rock, gospel and middle of the road things.
It is just not easy to come up with new projects with little in the vaults to work with. So it makes it tough.

Brian
09-25-2009, 07:37 AM
You point to a blues album-that Ernst should do one-Wasn't the "Reconsider Baby" cd pretty much blues? All 12 songs are blues or blues leaning and that was back in 1985.
Unfortunately Elvis just did not record a lot of blues in comparison to country, rock, gospel and middle of the road things.
It is just not easy to come up with new projects with little in the vaults to work with. So it makes it tough.

Yeah but I want a more up to date Blues compilation.
As you said way back in 1985 that was a long time ago
Ernst and company just recycle things with the Christmas, Gospel, love songs, Sun session etc. while we haven't had another mainstream blues release in almost 25 years.

I've thought about this for a long time and the projects I'd come up with.
I guess i'm much smarter than Ernst because I know how to work with what's in the vaults

Here you go Elvis' catalog of blues songs is limited but I've made a 24 song compilation to introduce people to his blues recordings.
You'll notice that there are several songs I included that Ernst didn't include on Reconsider Baby. Also there were several songs that Ernst put on that compilation that I didn't feel were blues at all.

I hope you like my list

My Baby's gone ( alternate take)
When it rains it really pours
One night of sin
New Orleans
A mess of blues
Reconsider Baby
Like a baby
It feels so right
Put the blame on me
I feel so bad
Hard luck
All I needed was the rain
Big Boss man
High heel sneakers
Down in the Alley
Merry Christmas Baby
Baby what you want me to do
My Babe
Stranger in my own Hometown
Power of my love
I got my mojo working (Alternate take on Essential Elvis volume 4)
Hound dog (An afternoon in the garden)
Steamroller Blues
Just a litte bit

Brian
09-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Lisa Has had the money from Sillerman and I guess that will keep her in the lifestyle she has become accustomed too for some time but that will dwindle in time. They are noway near being poor, far from it, however they are morally poor and short sighted.

This reminds me of something that happened a couple of years ago.

Elvis didn't have a star on the Las Vegas and because of this fans complained because if anybody should have one it's Elvis but he did not.

EPE, Priscilla, Lisa etc. did nothing to get Elvis a star it was the fans who came through and made it possible.

then again I guess getting Elvis a star on the Vegas walk of fame isn't as important as selling rubber duckies, Halloween costumes and Elvis impersonator contests.

I think this would've been a good thing for Lisa to focus her efforts on but she probably wasn't even aware of it.

KPM
10-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Yeah but I want a more up to date Blues compilation.
As you said way back in 1985 that was a long time ago
Ernst and company just recycle things with the Christmas, Gospel, love songs, Sun session etc. while we haven't had another mainstream blues release in almost 25 years.

I've thought about this for a long time and the projects I'd come up with.
I guess i'm much smarter than Ernst because I know how to work with what's in the vaults

Here you go Elvis' catalog of blues songs is limited but I've made a 24 song compilation to introduce people to his blues recordings.
You'll notice that there are several songs I included that Ernst didn't include on Reconsider Baby. Also there were several songs that Ernst put on that compilation that I didn't feel were blues at all.

I hope you like my list

My Baby's gone ( alternate take)
When it rains it really pours
One night of sin
New Orleans
A mess of blues
Reconsider Baby
Like a baby
It feels so right
Put the blame on me
I feel so bad
Hard luck
All I needed was the rain
Big Boss man
High heel sneakers
Down in the Alley
Merry Christmas Baby
Baby what you want me to do
My Babe
Stranger in my own Hometown
Power of my love
I got my mojo working (Alternate take on Essential Elvis volume 4)
Hound dog (An afternoon in the garden)
Steamroller Blues
Just a litte bit
Yes there are other songs which are blues like-but some of these are not true blues-some of these just have a bluesy sound.
Okay so Ernst puts out all the songs you have here as a blues compilation-then what?
You only have so many songs to work with-it is not easy to come up with something original from a finite list of anything.
Fans complain as it is that too much is recycled into new packages-but as much as I hate it-they have little options when they just have no new material. fact.

KPM
10-19-2009, 07:38 PM
In regards to tasteful promotion-EPE does not own the music we all know this.
They do not even get royalty on the pre 73 releases so income from this is limited.
So their only recourse is his image and the licensing agreements and the mansion tours-I do not see much difference in the taste of Parkers money making plans in the 50s and after Elvis died than with EPE methods.
Both marketed some good things and some horrid things "Always Elvis" wine comes to mind. If you do not own the most important thing-the music-you are limited greatly.

Brian
10-19-2009, 08:23 PM
In regards to tasteful promotion-EPE does not own the music we all know this.
They do not even get royalty on the pre 73 releases so income from this is limited.
So their only recourse is his image and the licensing agreements and the mansion tours-I do not see much difference in the taste of Parkers money making plans in the 50s and after Elvis died than with EPE methods.
Both marketed some good things and some horrid things "Always Elvis" wine comes to mind. If you do not own the most important thing-the music-you are limited greatly.

EPE was never going to own the music

I think hypothetically if they did own the music they would do the exact same thing Sony does.

Brian
10-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Yes there are other songs which are blues like-but some of these are not true blues-some of these just have a bluesy sound.
Okay so Ernst puts out all the songs you have here as a blues compilation-then what?
You only have so many songs to work with-it is not easy to come up with something original from a finite list of anything.
Fans complain as it is that too much is recycled into new packages-but as much as I hate it-they have little options when they just have no new material. fact.

You are cutting Sony an awful lot of slack

This blues compilation would be something different than what they usually put out.
To me blues songs are songs with a real bluesy sound and my list is much better and more complete than Ernst 1985 Reconsider Baby.

Almost every compilation Sony puts out has Heartbreak hotel and Hound dog on them they could take more of Elvis lesser know recordings and market them for a change.
They have some options.

KPM
10-19-2009, 11:06 PM
You are cutting Sony an awful lot of slack

This blues compilation would be something different than what they usually put out.
To me blues songs are songs with a real bluesy sound and my list is much better and more complete than Ernst 1985 Reconsider Baby.

Almost every compilation Sony puts out has Heartbreak hotel and Hound dog on them they could take more of Elvis lesser know recordings and market them for a change.
They have some options.
Some ......but very few.
I am not cutting them slack-not in the least-but I am realistic as to what can be done-and what can not.
You can not make new recordings from a dead artist-fact.
With the songs available in the Elvis catalogue you can remix, do duets, put new backings behind them, sweeten them but they are still finite in nature-with only variations.
Many don't like remixes, many don't want duets, nor new backing tracks-so no matter how Sony proceeds it will be wrong in someones eyes.
The songs such as Heartbreak Hotel and Hound Dog are "classics" why do you think they sold so many? I agree they are done to death on reissues but they are not going to take songs from albums which were not worthy of single release when Elvis was alive ...nor were huge hits 50 years ago in a much more favorable market and try make them huge album cuts today.
I understand the frustration with how Elvis is marketed by the label-I even share in that to an extent-but realistically see some of their reasoning.

Your list may be much more inclusive on your thougths of blues-but the question they will ask is:
"How many more albums would we have sold with the 25 extra songs.......are these truely all "blues" in keeping with the idea of a "blues album".... finally if its a 3-4 disc set how much more cost will we have to make the set-which may effect overall sales?"
I know they have people who think like this and do surveys etc......
They have options-but very very few.

Brian
10-20-2009, 02:27 AM
Some ......but very few.
I am not cutting them slack-not in the least-but I am realistic as to what can be done-and what can not.
You can not make new recordings from a dead artist-fact.
With the songs available in the Elvis catalogue you can remix, do duets, put new backings behind them, sweeten them but they are still finite in nature-with only variations.
Many don't like remixes, many don't want duets, nor new backing tracks-so no matter how Sony proceeds it will be wrong in someones eyes.
The songs such as Heartbreak Hotel and Hound Dog are "classics" why do you think they sold so many? I agree they are done to death on reissues but they are not going to take songs from albums which were not worthy of single release when Elvis was alive ...nor were huge hits 50 years ago in a much more favorable market and try make them huge album cuts today.
I understand the frustration with how Elvis is marketed by the label-I even share in that to an extent-but realistically see some of their reasoning.

Your list may be much more inclusive on your thougths of blues-but the question they will ask is:
"How many more albums would we have sold with the 25 extra songs.......are these truely all "blues" in keeping with the idea of a "blues album".... finally if its a 3-4 disc set how much more cost will we have to make the set-which may effect overall sales?"
I know they have people who think like this and do surveys etc......
They have options-but very very few.

I think the blues album could go gold or platinum over time just like the many gospel compilations
I think the real reason they don't is simply because they don't care about quality at all.
I would just give it a rest on Heartbreak hotel and Hound dog because most fans have thoughs songs already.

KPM
10-20-2009, 02:55 AM
I think the blues album could go gold or platinum over time just like the many gospel compilations
I think the real reason they don't is simply because they don't care about quality at all.I would just give it a rest on Heartbreak hotel and Hound dog because most fans have thoughs songs already.
Thats the quick simple answer to why they don't do certain things-but I don't really think its the total answer.
As far as most fans having Heartbreak Hotel and Hound Dog-come on most long term fans have all Elvis's recordings.
Newer fans may not, casual fans may not but I think most long term fans have all Elvis's releases of consequence.
I do not think the long term fan is the audience that the label is worried about-they know we long term fans have most of Elvis's music....
They try to reach new people by new packages of the hits and the specialty products such as "love songs" "country songs" "gospel' and yes blues as they did in the 80s. As I said if they did exactly what you want and put out all the true blues and blues type songs in a box set-and it satisfies your idea-what next after this???? Limited options.
I wish it were not so-and I wish Elvis had not lost interest in recording in the mid 70s-but he did and it limits what can be done.
Sony is in the business of selling product-and they realize the limits of trying to market someone dead and someone who left little in the vaults. So they market what they have in reissues-sell an average couple million a year in various packages and once and a while push something really hard and sell more such as Elvis 30#1s. There is no simple answer.

Brian
10-20-2009, 04:53 AM
Thats the quick simple answer to why they don't do certain things-but I don't really think its the total answer.
As far as most fans having Heartbreak Hotel and Hound Dog-come on most long term fans have all Elvis's recordings.
Newer fans may not, casual fans may not but I think most long term fans have all Elvis's releases of consequence.
I do not think the long term fan is the audience that the label is worried about-they know we long term fans have most of Elvis's music....
They try to reach new people by new packages of the hits and the specialty products such as "love songs" "country songs" "gospel' and yes blues as they did in the 80s. As I said if they did exactly what you want and put out all the true blues and blues type songs in a box set-and it satisfies your idea-what next after this???? Limited options.
I wish it were not so-and I wish Elvis had not lost interest in recording in the mid 70s-but he did and it limits what can be done.
Sony is in the business of selling product-and they realize the limits of trying to market someone dead and someone who left little in the vaults.

Well, after my blues compilation idea I think they could still do some things.

Elvis has an image problem because of Sony's marketing a lot people think Elvis was just hound dog, Jailhouse Rock, Blues Suede shoes etc. but he was more than that.
So I would put some of Elvis greatest recording like Long Black limosuine, Just pretend, Edge of reality and put the spotlight on these lesser known records.
people are amazed that Elvis even recorded songs like that.

If casual fans don't have heartbreak hotel, hound dog etc. I woulld just tell them to buy 30 #1 hits instead of repackaging those songs over and over and over again.

chinese doll
10-20-2009, 11:16 AM
i'd surely chose yes!!i have an elvis screensaver in my sony mobile phone:)

KPM
10-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Well, after my blues compilation idea I think they could still do some things.

Elvis has an image problem because of Sony's marketing a lot people think Elvis was just hound dog, Jailhouse Rock, Blues Suede shoes etc. but he was more than that.
So I would put some of Elvis greatest recording like Long Black limosuine, Just pretend, Edge of reality and put the spotlight on these lesser known records.people are amazed that Elvis even recorded songs like that.

If casual fans don't have heartbreak hotel, hound dog etc. I woulld just tell them to buy 30 #1 hits instead of repackaging those songs over and over and over again.
But with all due respect Brian RCA/BMG/Sony have been doing what you say they are not-look at the total repackages in the US alone since Elvis died over 250-this does not include repackages done around the world. I mean for Elvis recorded a little more than 700 individual songs in his career-that means including all the reissues since he died in the US, all the original albums, and all the reissues around the world there are probably as many reissues as there are individual songs he recorded.
The 3 cd release called Elvis Legendary had a good cross section of Elvis hits, obscure songs (including Edge of Reality) and movie music:
Track listing
1. Raised on Rock
2. She's Not You
3. There Goes My Everything
4. Follow That Dream
5. Spanish Eyes
6. Can't Help Falling in Love
7. Devil in Disguise
8. Last Farewell, The
9. And I Love You So
10. Ask Me
11. I Gotta Know
12. It's Now or Never
13. Surrender
14. Sentimental Me
15. She Wears My Ring
16. Wonder of You, The
17. Suspicion
18. Viva las Vegas
19. For the Good Times
20. My Wish Come True
21. Are You Lonesome Tonight
22. Flaming Star
23. Blue Hawaii
24. Edge of Reality
25. Crying in the Chapel
26. Such a Night
27. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
28. Mary in the Morning
29. You'll Never Walk Alone
30. Rags to Riches
31. I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
32. Help Me Make It Through the Night
33. Loving You
34. All Shook Up
35. Suspicious Minds
36. Wooden Heart
37. I'm Leavin'
38. Green, Green Grass of Home
39. Fool Such as I, A
40. Fever
41. Kentucky Rain
42. It's Impossible
43. Lonely Man
44. Until It's Time For You to Go
45. Hawaiian Wedding Song
46. I'll Remember You
47. Danny Boy
48. Gentle on My Mind
49. Don't Be Cruel
50. You Gave Me a Mountain
This is an example of what you say should be done-they've done it-time and time again.
The Legendary Performer Series highlighted a good cross section of Elvis material
Look at all the "Love" series reissues which have come out-country reissues have had "Long Black Limosene" on them, early rock, country rock, live performances all had had reissue after reissue which have songs related to the theme.
Now could they have been promoted better-sure-but no one is going to go to the label and "tell" them to spend 3-5 million on a huge promotional push-without proving to them that it will sell millions and pay for the promotion.... plus profit on top.
If they had a mountain of unreleased new material-they would take a very different approach-but they do not.

SleepyJack
10-20-2009, 08:09 PM
I agree with the idea that Sony are pretty limited in what they can achieve,especially when the song list is narrowed down to a particular type of music....limited...but it isn`t impossible.I think that the real problem is with how all the different parties involved are stumbling over each other and getting in each others` way most of the time. For example... A well thought-out album of Elvis` Blues songs,well-packaged and well advertised.... a great idea. Then the people who love Blues music,while tempted by this new album, see a late-night tv advertisement with EPE pushing a tribute-artist contest while selling rubber duckies and Elvis wine.... does that look like a blues artist to them anymore??..no...so they go off and buy a Robert Johnson Box set instead.In the meanwhile Sony have tried and failed again...... way too much monkey-business.

KPM
10-20-2009, 08:51 PM
I agree with the idea that Sony are pretty limited in what they can achieve,especially when the song list is narrowed down to a particular type of music....limited...but it isn`t impossible.I think that the real problem is with how all the different parties involved are stumbling over each other and getting in each others` way most of the time. For example... A well thought-out album of Elvis` Blues songs,well-packaged and well advertised.... a great idea. Then the people who love Blues music,while tempted by this new album, see a late-night tv advertisement with EPE pushing a tribute-artist contest while selling rubber duckies and Elvis wine.... does that look like a blues artist to them anymore??..no...so they go off and buy a Robert Johnson Box set instead.In the meanwhile Sony have tried and failed again...... way too much monkey-business.

I just think the idea that after 31 years there is some magical way-to change the image which has been created during those 31 years by the press, books , tribute artists, bad products which are marketed-(before and after Elvis's death) bad reissue stratagies, no unreleased original material, and lets face it......by the life Elvis lived.....I mean it is a pretty tall order.
I think in small ways everyone and every entity involved in Elvis Presley (and I would include us fans) has had a hand in the image of Elvis in todays world.
The 1985 blues effort had little promotion, and they sold about what they wanted with the effort they put into it. I am not negative on the idea of a blues box set but as I have said he just did not cut that many true blues songs, many are bluesy in delivery but not real blues ......... so many of the purists would attack that, or they would compare his blues to someone like Robert Johnson or LIghtning Hopkins or even BB King as true examples of blues.

Sony, EPE, MGM, Paramount etc....all have a piece of the pie and they all pretty much work independent of the others-no one owns the whole ball of wax, -EPE owns his likeness for marketing, Sony all the music, the studios all the movies its a wonder Elvis has stayed as popular with so many having a hand in his legacy-(but charisma is something they can not change so maybe its not such a wonder)

Brian
10-20-2009, 08:51 PM
But with all due respect Brian RCA/BMG/Sony have been doing what you say they are not-look at the total repackages in the US alone since Elvis died over 250-this does not include repackages done around the world. I mean for Elvis recorded a little more than 700 individual songs in his career-that means including all the reissues since he died in the US, all the original albums, and all the reissues around the world there are probably as many reissues as there are individual songs he recorded.
The 3 cd release called Elvis Legendary had a good cross section of Elvis hits, obscure songs (including Edge of Reality) and movie music:
Track listing
1. Raised on Rock
2. She's Not You
3. There Goes My Everything
4. Follow That Dream
5. Spanish Eyes
6. Can't Help Falling in Love
7. Devil in Disguise
8. Last Farewell, The
9. And I Love You So
10. Ask Me
11. I Gotta Know
12. It's Now or Never
13. Surrender
14. Sentimental Me
15. She Wears My Ring
16. Wonder of You, The
17. Suspicion
18. Viva las Vegas
19. For the Good Times
20. My Wish Come True
21. Are You Lonesome Tonight
22. Flaming Star
23. Blue Hawaii
24. Edge of Reality
25. Crying in the Chapel
26. Such a Night
27. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
28. Mary in the Morning
29. You'll Never Walk Alone
30. Rags to Riches
31. I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
32. Help Me Make It Through the Night
33. Loving You
34. All Shook Up
35. Suspicious Minds
36. Wooden Heart
37. I'm Leavin'
38. Green, Green Grass of Home
39. Fool Such as I, A
40. Fever
41. Kentucky Rain
42. It's Impossible
43. Lonely Man
44. Until It's Time For You to Go
45. Hawaiian Wedding Song
46. I'll Remember You
47. Danny Boy
48. Gentle on My Mind
49. Don't Be Cruel
50. You Gave Me a Mountain
This is an example of what you say should be done-they've done it-time and time again.
The Legendary Performer Series highlighted a good cross section of Elvis material
Look at all the "Love" series reissues which have come out-country reissues have had "Long Black Limosene" on them, early rock, country rock, live performances all had had reissue after reissue which have songs related to the theme.
Now could they have been promoted better-sure-but no one is going to go to the label and "tell" them to spend 3-5 million on a huge promotional push-without proving to them that it will sell millions and pay for the promotion.... plus profit on top.
If they had a mountain of unreleased new material-they would take a very different approach-but they do not.

Not exactly

I mean stop putting all the hits on all the compilations all of the time
like they have been doing.
Not combine great album tracks or lesser known songs with the hits.

When Elvis was alive I always thought he should have recorded some albums of blues standards like he did with Elvis Country so that he could reach new audiences that otherwise wouldn't have paid him any attention.
I also thought that Elvis should've have recorded more R&B songs and albums to try and gain back his African American audience that left after 1963 and to expand his overall fanbase.
He did neither of those things but........
Elvis recorded maybe 40 geniune R&B tracks that could be used to reach new ears that like R&B or soul music but have never gave him a passing thought.

In my opinion Sony could come up with different ways to compile compilations with the 750 masters that they have plus the live songs that were never recorded in the studio.
They make Elvis' repetoire seem so limited and market him like a middle of the road artist.

KPM
10-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Not exactly

I mean stop putting all the hits on all the compilations all of the time
like they have been doing.
Not combine great album tracks or lesser known songs with the hits.

When Elvis was alive I always thought he should have recorded some albums of blues standards like he did with Elvis Country so that he could reach new audiences that otherwise wouldn't have paid him any attention.
I also thought that Elvis should've have recorded more R&B songs and albums to try and gain back his African American audience that left after 1963 and to expand his overall fanbase.
He did neither of those things but........
Elvis recorded maybe 40 geniune R&B tracks that could be used to reach new ears that like R&B or soul music but have never gave him a passing thought.

In my opinion Sony could come up with different ways to compile compilations with the 750 masters that they have plus the live songs that were never recorded in the studio.
They make Elvis' repetoire seem so limited and market him like a middle of the road artist.

Elvis chose his material from Old Shep-to Hound Dog, Reconsider Baby to How Great Thou Art Trilogy to way Wonder of You does not seem limited to me-seems pretty eclectic (as the Legendary Elvis 3 cd set shows)
I think reaching the African American audience is pretty much a dream-the African Americans who enjoy Elvis today are a small group.
I have tried in other forums to point out to young African Americans that Elvis was not a racist, did not steal his music, and that he was hugely talented-they have none of it.
The ones I debated just do not believe facts or seem to listen to reason.

If you truely believe that a big promotion on the few blues tracks Elvis cut will change their opinion-I am sorry IMO you are mistaken.
Elvis recorded a little of everything so even though he started as a Rock artist from about 1963 on he was a middle of the road artist who did a little of everything in his style. This was not someone marketing Elvis-it was who he was by his own choice of material and approach to recording-can not change that.

Brian
10-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Elvis chose his material from Old Shep-to Hound Dog, Reconsider Baby to How Great Thou Art Trilogy to way Wonder of You does not seem limited to me-seems pretty eclectic (as the Legendary Elvis 3 cd set shows)
I think reaching the African American audience is pretty much a dream-the African Americans who enjoy Elvis today are a small group.
I have tried in other forums to point out to young African Americans that Elvis was not a racist, did not steal his music, and that he was hugely talented-they have none of it.
The ones I debated just do not believe facts or seem to listen to reason.

If you truely believe that a big promotion on the few blues tracks Elvis cut will change their opinion-I am sorry IMO you are mistaken.
Elvis recorded a little of everything so even though he started as a Rock artist from about 1963 on he was a middle of the road artist who did a little of everything in his style. This was not someone marketing Elvis-it was who he was by his own choice of material and approach to recording-can not change that.

Not change their opinion

I mean black people that are not racist and do not think Elvis was a racist but just don't listen to his music.
Some of these people could've been won over.

These Blues and R&B compilation would be put out to showcase Elvis in a different artistic light and to showcase him better as a recording artist.

Sony handles the music and EPE is in charge of protecting and preserving the image.

The problem with these Elvis racist claims is that when some uninformed black man says Elvis was racist people believe that automatically which is sad and unfortunate.

Anytime someone makes these claims that Elvis was a racist I have never heard EPE refute that claim all they care about is the $$$$$$$.

Once a rumor is out there and it's not corrected or squashed pretty quickly it will then get reported as a fact and then it becomes the truth.

It's also a bogus claim that Elvis stole black music because he was recording rock n' roll before Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Bo Diddley but Elvis is dead and can't defend himself against claims those 3 singers have made that they were all doing it before him and EPE won't stand up for Elvis and correct the misconception.

KPM
10-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Not change their opinion

I mean black people that are not racist and do not think Elvis was a racist but just don't listen to his music.
Some of these people could've been won over.

These Blues and R&B compilation would be put out to showcase Elvis in a different artistic light and to showcase him better as a recording artist.

Sony handles the music and EPE is in charge of protecting and preserving the image.

The problem with these Elvis racist claims is that when some uninformed black man says Elvis was racist people believe that automatically which is sad and unfortunate.

Anytime someone makes these claims that Elvis was a racist I have never heard EPE refute that claim all they care about is the $$$$$$$.Once a rumor is out there and it's not corrected or squashed pretty quickly it will then get reported as a fact and then it becomes the truth.

It's also a bogus claim that Elvis stole black music because he was recording rock n' roll before Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Bo Diddley but Elvis is dead and can't defend himself against claims those 3 singers have made that they were all doing it before him and EPE won't stand up for Elvis and correct the misconception.

Well I have heard Priscilla say Elvis had respect for all people of color and was not racist in interviews... wasn't she in the top 3 at EPE for years?
The rumor started in 1957 with a remark attributed to Elvis Jet Magazine investigated it and sent a reporter to hang out with Elvis-they set the record straight all the way back in 1957 by saying the remark was not Elvis's and that after interviewing him and people who knew him (white and black) that there was not truth they could find that Elvis is a racist.
How much more can a rumor be refuted-and each time its brought up-someone recalls this 1957 Jet magazine article.

KPM
10-20-2009, 10:09 PM
You know I have always said that Lisa, Priscilla, EPE, Sony, Turner Video (MGM).....whoever who has a hand in Elvis's memory and legacy have a thankless job. Sure I agree that all of the above could do a better job in handling their own piece of the pie so to speak-but no matter how they proceed someone does not like it-its a no win situation.
They can not change the life Elvis lived-they can not produce product which he did not record, they can not coordinate what the other owners of the pie do and how they do it.
So its a thankless job.
Take the marketing of things like Elvis rubber duckies or Elvis wine-sure its tasteless-but someone is buying it-fair assumption.
So some fans ask for everything and anything Elvis and in turn someone produces it.
If there was no market-they would not sell it.
Some fans enjoy this type thing -more power to them-we all like and cherish what we want.
I collect records and movies, but am not really into the Elvis candlestick holders, nor the watches or other items sold. People have given me these type things for gifts-and I always thank them-but I would never buy them on my own.
But some do want these things and they buy them.
Tasteless is in the eye of the beholder like all else in life.
Perhaps EPE should consider trying to buy all recordings and films work of Elvis-since Sillerman is the head of the situation now-he might have been better advised to try and acquire the bulk of Elvis's work and not worry about theme parks and Graceland expansions. Then EPE would own the essense of what made Elvis the star he became and could market it themselves.
But it will never happen Sony has a goldmine in those recordings and they know it-they can market them as they want.... spend as much (or little) time and money as they want.....
and make profits year after year after year...................

navechesalpa
10-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Elvis was a singer, he wasen't a game.

elvisfan92
10-21-2009, 12:39 AM
rockband would totally be awesome

Brian
10-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Well I have heard Priscilla say Elvis had respect for all people of color and was not racist in interviews... wasn't she in the top 3 at EPE for years?
The rumor started in 1957 with a remark attributed to Elvis Jet Magazine investigated it and sent a reporter to hang out with Elvis-they set the record straight all the way back in 1957 by saying the remark was not Elvis's and that after interviewing him and people who knew him (white and black) that there was not truth they could find that Elvis is a racist.
How much more can a rumor be refuted-and each time its brought up-someone recalls this 1957 Jet magazine article.

Priscilla must not of done a good enough job because i've never heard her say it.
You've got to make more of an effort to refute claims such as this.

The reason I don't like EPE is because they aren't really in the business of protecting and preserving Elvis' image they are out to make sure no one else profits off Elvis name but them.

When Chuck D. of the rap group Public Enemy called Elvis a racist I never heard EPE call him on it most of the time they keep quiet and that makes it worse.

Tommy
10-21-2009, 12:53 AM
How did this get off on this topic again racist. This is not what the subject is about, please stay on topic. Thank you.

KPM
10-21-2009, 05:59 PM
How did this get off on this topic again racist. This is not what the subject is about, please stay on topic. Thank you.
Sorry Tommy-I know what you are saying. Ken

KPM
10-21-2009, 06:13 PM
But back closer to the topic of correct ways or incorrect ways of promoting Elvis such as the games mentioned.
Sony has done quality reissues which do not just mine the hits and use quality album cuts
The Essential Elvis series is an example
Vol 4 -A Hundred Years From Now1. I Didn't Make It on Playing Guitar [Informal Jam]
2. I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water [Undubbed/Unedited Master]
3. Little Cabin on the Hill [Alternate Take 1][#]
4. Hundred Years from Now [Alternate Take 2]
5. I've Lost You [Alternate Take 6][#]
6. Got My Mojo Working/Keep Your Hands off of It [Undubbed/Unedited Master
7. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me [Alternate Take 2
8. It Ain't No Big Thing (But It's Growing) [Alternate Take 2
9. Cindy, Cindy [Alternate Take 1][#]
10. Faded Love [Country Version][#]
11. Fool [Alternate Take 1][#] Listen
12. Rags to Riches [Alternate Take 3][#]
13. Just Pretend [Alternate Take 2][#]
14. If I Were You [Alternate Take 5][#]
15. Faded Love [Alternate Take 3][#]
16. Where Did They Go, Lord [Alternate Take 1][#]
17. It's Only Love [Alternate Take 9][#]
18. Until It's Time for You to Go [Alternate Master, Take 10][#]
19. Patch It Up [Alternate Take 9][#]
20. Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On [Undubbed/Unedited Master]

Essential Elvis 5 Rhythm and Country
I GOT A FEELING IN MY BODY(ALTERNATE TAKE 1 12/10/73)

LOVING ARMS (ALTERNATE TAKE 2 12/13/73)

I'VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU BABY (ALTERNATE TAKE 14 7/22/73)

SHE WEARS MY RING (ALTERNATE TAKE 8 12/16/73)

YOU ASKED ME TO (ALTERNATE TAKE 2 12/11/73)

THERE'S A HONKY TONK ANGEL (ALTERNATE TAKE 1 12/15/73)

GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES (ALTERNATE TAKE 8 12/13/73)

FIND OUT WHAT'S HAPPENING (ALTERNATE TAKE 6 7/22/73)

FOR OL' TIMES SAKE (ALTERNATE TAKE 3 7/23/73)

IF YOU DON'T COME BACK (ALTERNATE TAKE 3 7/21/73)

PROMISED LAND (ALTERNATE TAKE 4 12/15/73)

THINKING ABOUT YOU (ALTERNATE TAKE 4 12/12/73)

THREE CORN PATCHES (ALTERNATE TAKE 14 7/21/73)

GIRL OF MINE (ALTERNATE TAKE 9 7/24/73)

YOUR LOVE'S BEEN A LONG TIME COMING (ALTERNATE TAKE 4 12/15/73)

SPANISH EYES (ALTERNATE TAKE 2 12/16/73)

TALK ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES (ALTERNATE TAKE 3 12/14/73)

IF THAT ISN'T LOVE (ALTERNATE TAKE 1 12/16/73)

These are all not well known hits but album cuts from great albums,

Brian
10-21-2009, 09:23 PM
But back closer to the topic of correct ways or incorrect ways of promoting Elvis such as the games mentioned.
Sony has done quality reissues which do not just mine the hits and use quality album cuts
The Essential Elvis series is an example
Vol 4 -A Hundred Years From Now1. I Didn't Make It on Playing Guitar [Informal Jam]
2. I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water [Undubbed/Unedited Master]
3. Little Cabin on the Hill [Alternate Take 1][#]
4. Hundred Years from Now [Alternate Take 2]
5. I've Lost You [Alternate Take 6][#]
6. Got My Mojo Working/Keep Your Hands off of It [Undubbed/Unedited Master
7. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me [Alternate Take 2
8. It Ain't No Big Thing (But It's Growing) [Alternate Take 2
9. Cindy, Cindy [Alternate Take 1][#]
10. Faded Love [Country Version][#]
11. Fool [Alternate Take 1][#] Listen
12. Rags to Riches [Alternate Take 3][#]
13. Just Pretend [Alternate Take 2][#]
14. If I Were You [Alternate Take 5][#]
15. Faded Love [Alternate Take 3][#]
16. Where Did They Go, Lord [Alternate Take 1][#]
17. It's Only Love [Alternate Take 9][#]
18. Until It's Time for You to Go [Alternate Master, Take 10][#]
19. Patch It Up [Alternate Take 9][#]
20. Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On [Undubbed/Unedited Master]

Essential Elvis 5 Rhythm and Country
I GOT A FEELING IN MY BODY(ALTERNATE TAKE 1 12/10/73)

LOVING ARMS (ALTERNATE TAKE 2 12/13/73)

I'VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU BABY (ALTERNATE TAKE 14 7/22/73)

SHE WEARS MY RING (ALTERNATE TAKE 8 12/16/73)

YOU ASKED ME TO (ALTERNATE TAKE 2 12/11/73)

THERE'S A HONKY TONK ANGEL (ALTERNATE TAKE 1 12/15/73)

GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES (ALTERNATE TAKE 8 12/13/73)

FIND OUT WHAT'S HAPPENING (ALTERNATE TAKE 6 7/22/73)

FOR OL' TIMES SAKE (ALTERNATE TAKE 3 7/23/73)

IF YOU DON'T COME BACK (ALTERNATE TAKE 3 7/21/73)

PROMISED LAND (ALTERNATE TAKE 4 12/15/73)

THINKING ABOUT YOU (ALTERNATE TAKE 4 12/12/73)

THREE CORN PATCHES (ALTERNATE TAKE 14 7/21/73)

GIRL OF MINE (ALTERNATE TAKE 9 7/24/73)

YOUR LOVE'S BEEN A LONG TIME COMING (ALTERNATE TAKE 4 12/15/73)

SPANISH EYES (ALTERNATE TAKE 2 12/16/73)

TALK ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES (ALTERNATE TAKE 3 12/14/73)

IF THAT ISN'T LOVE (ALTERNATE TAKE 1 12/16/73)

These are all not well known hits but album cuts from great albums,

I think those 2 projects was Ernst way of throwing a bone to the die hard fans before FTD.

KPM
10-21-2009, 10:14 PM
I think those 2 projects was Ernst way of throwing a bone to the die hard fans before FTD.
I think it was doing exactly what you say they should do.
These are not the only albums such as this.
Try this link which shows 421 albums for Elvis.
They may not always be what you say they should be-but you can't say they have not put together many many collections of varied songs and styles in which Elvis recorded.
Perhaps the blues is not covered as you would like-but all other styles of music have been easily.
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/e/elvis+presley/albums.html

jak
10-21-2009, 10:59 PM
I think the problem with this idea would be the marketing.I just dont think Elvis' fan base would go for it.I hate to say it but Elvis just isnt hip enough to move a product like that.I just dont see it catching on in big enough numbers to justify it.The Beatles have a much different level of credibilty in the public's eyes.We all know there recent cd releases and game were huge media events.I dont know if Elvis has any "events" left in the tank.I would like to be wrong.

KPM
10-22-2009, 12:07 AM
I think the problem with this idea would be the marketing.I just dont think Elvis' fan base would go for it.I hate to say it but Elvis just isnt hip enough to move a product like that.I just dont see it catching on in big enough numbers to justify it.The Beatles have a much different level of credibilty in the public's eyes.We all know there recent cd releases and game were huge media events.I dont know if Elvis has any "events" left in the tank.I would like to be wrong.
I know I would not buy the game-If I want to play music I actually play my guitar and jam with others. The whole idea of a game-in which you play instruments by following lighted frets is just funny to me.
If you want to be in a rock band (or garage band:D) Learn to play for real-accomplish something that is legit-not pretend.
I think it might surprise us with how many of these games may sell with Elvis music on them. Most of his music is fairly easy to play-and its fun type music that can rock. But I have to agree I don't think it would be the media event that the Beatles got. But they have been promoting this Beatles game for a year steadily gaining momentum.
If the people who sell and market the games feel Elvis might be a good candidate for the game-then lets hope the same hype is going to be used.

Brian
10-22-2009, 02:12 AM
I think it was doing exactly what you say they should do.
These are not the only albums such as this.
Try this link which shows 421 albums for Elvis.
They may not always be what you say they should be-but you can't say they have not put together many many collections of varied songs and styles in which Elvis recorded.
Perhaps the blues is not covered as you would like-but all other styles of music have been easily.
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/e/elvis+presley/albums.html

I didn't mean that everything Sony does or Elvis' old label released was bad

They have released some good projects over the years but they could do better.

Besides putting together different Elvis songs for compilations they could do what other artists do and not release so many CD's a year.

KPM
10-22-2009, 03:51 PM
I didn't mean that everything Sony does or Elvis' old label released was bad

They have released some good projects over the years but they could do better.

Besides putting together different Elvis songs for compilations they could do what other artists do and not release so many CD's a year.
Well you and I agree on this.
I think the stratagy has been to keep putting out "new repackages" which to a the casual fan will seem like a totally new album-and to them it may be totally new if they have little knowledge of all the hits Elvis had.
But it takes from sales of existing original albums, and that does not help Elvis's sales totals.

Tommy
10-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Well you and I agree on this.
I think the stratagy has been to keep putting out "new repackages" which to a the casual fan will seem like a totally new album-and to them it may be totally new if they have little knowledge of all the hits Elvis had.
But it takes from sales of existing original albums, and that does not help Elvis's sales totals.

This is true,(y) it sure doesn't help Elvis's total sales, it's a shame.

jean francois
10-23-2009, 03:54 PM
I voted yes

Albert
10-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Elvis was a singer, he wasen't a game.
And yet he played in movies ;)

THe colonel saw the movies as a platform to promote Elvis' music. So a videogame can also been see as a platform to promote ELvis.

I'm all for a GH/Rock Ban release. But not if it will feature mainly his hits or pre-1968 music. IT should rock... hard.... and show the contemporary side of Elvis.

Here are some songs that are fun to play for all players: drum/guitar/bass

* Got My Mojo Working
* The Sound Of Your Cry
* Whole Lotta Shakin'Goin On
* Polk Salad Annie
* Guitar Man
* Rubberneckin'
* A Little Less Conversation
* Suspicious Minds (live)
* Tiger Man (live)
* Burning Love
* Little Sister/Get Back
* Let Yourself Go
* Promised Land
* T-R-O-U-B-L-E
* US Male
* Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On
* I Washed My Hands IN Muddy Water
* See See Rider
* I Was Born About 10.000 Years Ago
* Early Morning Rain
* I Got a Feelin In My Body
* Wearin That Love On Look
* Long Black Limousine
* Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain
* Johnny B. Goode (live/rehearsal)
* A Big Hunk O'Love (live)
* Blue Suede Shoes (1969 live)

All these songs are not just great songs, but challenging for the players of either instruments. And, also important, it 'll show players a different, edgy side of Elvis.

If they want to include some greatest hits songs (Jailhouse Rock, Don't Be Cruel, etc., they should use the 1969/1970 live versions)

Tommy
10-23-2009, 04:42 PM
If they want to include some greatest hits songs (Jailhouse Rock, Don't Be Cruel, etc., they should use the 1969/1970 live versions)

I agree, this would be great.(y)(y)

KPM
10-25-2009, 12:19 AM
And yet he played in movies ;)

THe colonel saw the movies as a platform to promote Elvis' music. So a videogame can also been see as a platform to promote ELvis.

I'm all for a GH/Rock Ban release. But not if it will feature mainly his hits or pre-1968 music. IT should rock... hard.... and show the contemporary side of Elvis.

Here are some songs that are fun to play for all players: drum/guitar/bass

* Got My Mojo Working
* The Sound Of Your Cry
* Whole Lotta Shakin'Goin On
* Polk Salad Annie
* Guitar Man
* Rubberneckin'
* A Little Less Conversation
* Suspicious Minds (live)
* Tiger Man (live)
* Burning Love
* Little Sister/Get Back
* Let Yourself Go
* Promised Land
* T-R-O-U-B-L-E
* US Male
* Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On
* I Washed My Hands IN Muddy Water
* See See Rider
* I Was Born About 10.000 Years Ago
* Early Morning Rain
* I Got a Feelin In My Body
* Wearin That Love On Look
* Long Black Limousine
* Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain
* Johnny B. Goode (live/rehearsal)
* A Big Hunk O'Love (live)
* Blue Suede Shoes (1969 live)

All these songs are not just great songs, but challenging for the players of either instruments. And, also important, it 'll show players a different, edgy side of Elvis.

Great list-and they would be truely fun to play especially since you included the live versions and rehearsals where the playing is much more free and wild!(y)

Dazed and Confused
09-03-2011, 02:00 AM
It's bad enough hearing my friends and family butcher the crappy songs on Rock band right now. Not sure if I could handle listening to them butcher Elvis too.